Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,526 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! (6658 Views)

See The Big Snake That Was Killed For Pepper Soup -- ( Pics) / Detailed Picture Tutorials On How To Cook Snails. / Alomo Bitters Aka Casapreco: Whats The Big Deal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by Leilah(f): 6:29pm On Oct 13, 2008
I bought some of these giant snails only to discover they are still alive oh I'm so freaked out I'm not used to this what can I do with them??
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by HRhotness(f): 6:32pm On Oct 13, 2008
they r best when still alive, buying dead snails is not a good idea

if u r ready to cook, crack their shells. . . if not put in a big contianer with a lid, make sure u put something weighty on d lip to prevent them from getting out wink
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 8:58pm On Oct 13, 2008
Leilah, am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hungry of snail. where did you get live snails?

yes, live snails are better not dead one. once you are ready to use them, you crack the shell and bring them out then wash with lime juice.
i miss snails soooooooooooooooooo much.
like HR said, put them in a container and cover it with a lid lol don't be surprise though the snail could open the lid grin
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by TOYOSI20(f): 12:44am On Oct 14, 2008
I love snails, in efo riro. . . . .tasty smiley
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by AmakaOne(f): 12:43pm On Oct 14, 2008
lol @ Leilah

snails are best when they are still alive.

remove them from their shells. Then  rub and wash them with lime juice (or whatever citrus fruit is available locally) to remove the slime.
cut the cleaned snails into small pieces and then boil or fry them ( whatever takes your fancy)

Yum yum

Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by Leilah(f): 3:17pm On Oct 14, 2008
I just boiled water and threw them in and after about an hour I fried them. Oh I am grossed out!

thankfully my husband loved them and I make an ora soup and put them in. I got them in a chinese foodstore they get them fresh! it was only €1.55 for five of them.
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 7:32pm On Oct 14, 2008
oh!!! i wish i could get them where i am too smiley. the chinese store here don't have it, lucky you.

really? try washing them with lime or lemon juice to remove the slimes. you are an african woman now Leilah wink
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by Leilah(f): 10:47pm On Oct 16, 2008
thanks Omoge!
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by plusQueen: 7:05pm On Oct 17, 2008
Leilah:

I bought some of these giant snails only to discover they are still alive oh I'm so freaked out I'm not used to this what can I do with them??

This is one of the funniest things I've read in recent times.This is even funnier

Leilah:

I just boiled water and threw them in and after about an hour I fried them. Oh I am grossed out!

thankfully my husband loved them and I make an ora soup and put them in. I got them in a chinese foodstore they get them fresh! it was only €1.55 for five of them.

ROFL.
You threw the snails with the shell and slime in hot water? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Jesus is Lord!
You see why these my brothers should stick to Nigerian or at least African wives grin
kidding

I hope the man survived that bowl of Ora soup.
Please give us an update wink
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by plusQueen: 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2008
Leilah sweetie,Nigerians like cow tongue too.
And your husband may ask for it someday.
I beg you, before you think of cooking that one, come here and ask.
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by dauda2: 7:09pm On Oct 17, 2008
plus_Queen:

Leilah sweetie,Nigerians like cow tongue too.

I cook with this every week! Get some oxtails too, nice.

Aha i see Leilah is a fast learner. Now ur husband wont have any need for Ngozi anymore since u're doing even more than she'd do for him. Bravo!
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by plusQueen: 7:12pm On Oct 17, 2008
biko who is "sexy dauda" abeg?
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by DisGuy: 7:17pm On Oct 17, 2008
Leilah:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you have to wash them with salt and lime/lemon

and if you are keeping them in a container please put spinach or wet leaves in for them!
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by dauda2: 7:20pm On Oct 17, 2008
plus_Queen:

biko who is "sexy dauda" abeg?

UNCLE Dauda pls. grin
It is the name of Esau but the voice of Jacob. . . tongue
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by plusQueen: 7:34pm On Oct 17, 2008
what were you before,Mr Dauda
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by dauda2: 7:42pm On Oct 17, 2008
plus_Queen:

what were you before,Mr Dauda

Thou knowest the son of man. smiley
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by plusQueen: 8:04pm On Oct 17, 2008
Is this david?
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by dauda2: 8:56pm On Oct 17, 2008
plus_Queen:

Is this david?

thou sayest. grin
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 11:11pm On Oct 17, 2008
leilah, grin

osisi, do you like snail?
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 11:13pm On Oct 17, 2008
Dauda  grin wink what about you?
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by dauda2: 11:23pm On Oct 17, 2008
omoge:

Dauda grin wink what about you?

Uncle Dauda will marry the first woman to bring him a dish of stewed snail. Hurry while offers last. grin
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 2:44am On Oct 18, 2008
i have not seen anything as delicious as snail stew with some ata rodo. those huge snail not the small small one but huge african snail use to make stew oooooooooooooo the aroma or scent of the stew eh ooooooooooooooooooooooooo so sos osos sososossos delicious.

last time i ate snail was 2years ago. mom sent me lots and i wack that thing for a while.
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by plusQueen: 11:24pm On Oct 18, 2008
omoge:

leilah, grin

osisi, do you like snail?

tufiakwa.
I hate those creepy crawlies.
you know snails feed on feces
It's like eating vultures that feed on rotten dead animals
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 11:43pm On Oct 18, 2008
see you smiley those fowl wey you chop in nig those days you forget say na free roam and they eat shit too?

you know how nig small or big dey shit and piss for anyway, and fowl dey roam for anywhere and feed on shit?

i have seen many fowls in nig feeding out of seedy bean in s h i t grin one reason why i don't like eating chicken in nig wink
all i know abt snails are they feed on leaves. they are not home breed that can see shit anywhere around house.
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by plusQueen: 11:45pm On Oct 18, 2008
why would chicken find poop around the house?
do people defecate in the yards?
snails live in dark shady and moist places.
get the picture ?
omoge no make me throw up
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 12:00am On Oct 19, 2008
if you sabi nig, you will know that sh it is freedom galore. do you know how many shit dey for that pile of garbage in lagos alone? and i tell you it is a playground for fowl and yet pple love eating it grin nwanem, don't throw up yet wait till you see what that lovely fowls you love for christmas ate 1week ago. free roam chicken in nigeria lipsrsealed

i'd prefer snails to chicken anyday wink
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by Leilah(f): 7:12pm On Oct 20, 2008
No, I didnt really like it that much! it was ok but to be honest i would prefer chicken!

I'll make them for hubby though!

sorry but wha other way can I cook them apart from putting them in soup?
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by DavidDylan(m): 7:14pm On Oct 20, 2008
Fry them in pepper sauce.
fry them, put in hot pepper and palm oil . . . serve with roasted or boiled yam.
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by Leilah(f): 7:23pm On Oct 20, 2008
also, are you suppsed to cut them up when they are alive? woud it not be better to soak them in bioling water to kill them??

Sorry are they land snails or sea snails. Thanks David thats a nice idea.
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by DavidDylan(m): 7:26pm On Oct 20, 2008
I mean the giant african snails.
Kill them by smashing the shell, wash with lime or alum to remove the slime then cut in cubes.
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by Leilah(f): 6:29pm On Oct 21, 2008
I dont think smashing the shells would kill them. Are they land snails? like where are they picked from? or are they farmed or something?
Re: Help! The Big Snails Are Moving In The Bag! by omoge(f): 3:10pm On Oct 22, 2008
just take the hard side of your knife and hit the backside of the snail and then bring it out. your nig husband could help you in doing this if you can't. the snail might still be alive but that is good. then put them in a bowl of water. . . cut your lime or limes and wash the snails with the lime. you will see the slimes coming out. once the slimes are out, cut them the way you want it and it's ready for your sauce, fry, or stew.

again there is nothing tasty than snail stew (call it sauce my dear egbon David wink grin)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Century Juice Extractor Or Kenwood Juice Extractor / I Decided To Cook After 3years! / How Come When I Make a big pot of Big Egusi Soup It Comes Out Bitter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.