Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,619 members, 7,820,201 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:17 AM

Local Dogs... - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Local Dogs... (3871 Views)

How Good Is Bullymax Or Gorillamax For Our Local Dogs / What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? / Inhumane Treatment Of Local Dogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Dogs... by Vikkiboi(m): 8:56pm On Jul 25, 2014
i asked a friend of mine recently how much he got his 7weeks GSD, well am sure you all know how much the range will be without me even telling u how much he got it. So i was just wondering if its cool enough to just go for a local dog breed since its generally cheap and easy to maintain.

what is your take on this?

can you go for a local dog?
Re: Local Dogs... by Decibel: 8:56pm On Jul 25, 2014
shocked
Re: Local Dogs... by Seun(m): 9:15am On Jul 26, 2014
What is your budget for the dog?
Re: Local Dogs... by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 26, 2014
Bros, just chill; seun will give you a pup when sloan gives birth cheesy

1 Like

Re: Local Dogs... by Vikkiboi(m): 9:37am On Jul 28, 2014
ope o
Re: Local Dogs... by Nobody: 10:45am On Jul 28, 2014
I wonder why we are not interested in improving our local breed. I once had a local breed that grew taller and bigger than a rottweiler and was hairy like a sheep dog. I believe if we improve the breed, we'll be able to export them like the south africans export boerboel. I believe the breed is far better than the exotic ones cos it hardly fall sick and is capable of eating any thing called food unlike the exotic ones which are very selective feeders.

1 Like

Re: Local Dogs... by Seun(m): 10:59am On Jul 28, 2014
TribalEAST: I wonder why we are not interested in improving our local breed. I once had a local breed that grew taller and bigger than a rottweiler and was hairy like a sheep dog.
Our local breed are hunting dogs. They are very good at what they do. They are fast, flexible, and easy to control & maintain. If you make them tall, heavy and hairy then they no longer have those advantages. You may as well buy a Caucasian. We need to preserve their original form.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Local Dogs... by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
Seun:
Our local breed are hunting dogs. They are very good at what they do. They are fast, flexible, and easy to control & maintain. If you make them tall, heavy and hairy then they no longer have those advantages. You may as well buy a rottweiler. We need to preserve their original form.
their original form is not for them to look skinny and unkempt(these dogs get no attention). If rottweilers are made to go through half of what these dogs go through, people will lose interest in them. We need someone to breed the finest of these dogs and set a standard for the breed. Imagine a local dog on can food and having its medication at the right time...you'll be confused trying to recognise the breed.

1 Like

Re: Local Dogs... by oluomoadebayo: 12:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
TribalEAST: their original form is not for them to look skinny and unkempt(these dogs get no attention). If rottweilers are made to go through half of what these dogs go through, people will lose interest in them. We need someone to breed the finest of these dogs and set a standard for the breed. Imagine a local dog on can food and having its medication at the right time...you'll be confused trying to recognise the breed.

I once had some local dogs for my hunting activities back then, but you won't know what to expect from their puppies, some would sharp and effective why others would just run after ekute and play with it. With my malinois, I know 90% of what I'm getting and I only feed with no medication.

3 Likes

Re: Local Dogs... by doeying(m): 12:54pm On Aug 01, 2014
lol...ok...so we have this dog, his name is BOZO..his mum was an alsatian and his dad,a local dog...
he is typically a local dog(he has white legs and the tip of its tail is white and curves upwards),
he is two years old, and like the neatest dog ever, he would not lie down on the floor, just on the plastic chair(we had to get one for him), or on the car(we discouraged this habit tho)...heres the thing,two weeks after we got BOZO(at about a four weeks or so), we got MEREDITH GREY, a boerboel-alsatian mix, so they grew up together, heres the thing, BOZO is really stubborn, only listens to SIT( but you have to put your hand behind you to make it think you are holding food)..he answers when you call him...and just likes to be around you...people like him a lot,..he does not attack but runs really fast...really fast, visitors dont know he wont bite, but once they see him coming with his full speed towards the gate, my dear, you better run.

Thanks to God and my dad, and all of us, Bozo has grown to be an ajebutter local dog, just like MEREDITH GREY, he has been good, Grey trains it sometimes,(of course she is bigger than him)..we had him neutered because we do not want any unrecognised combination of an alsatian-boerboel-local mix...lol..what would we do with that?...

as for MEREDITH GREY(GREY for short)...shes really good...doesnt take nonsense,,loves the family a lot but wont tolerate strangers, she made BOZO start barking, she is very smart...very smart...knows when to come..when to go..her facial expressions are just amazing..lol...shes always ready to please and ready to devour too...

sorry for the long story...

5 Likes

Re: Local Dogs... by hunthsmankennel: 12:35pm On Aug 05, 2014
doeying: lol...ok...so we have this dog, his name is BOZO..his mum was an alsatian and his dad,a local dog...
he is typically a local dog(he has white legs and the tip of its tail is white and curves upwards),
he is two years old, and like the neatest dog ever, he would not lie down on the floor, just on the plastic chair(we had to get one for him), or on the car(we discouraged this habit tho)...heres the thing,two weeks after we got BOZO(at about a four weeks or so), we got MEREDITH GREY, a boerboel-alsatian mix, so they grew up together, heres the thing, BOZO is really stubborn, only listens to SIT( but you have to put your hand behind you to make it think you are holding food)..he answers when you call him...and just likes to be around you...people like him a lot,..he does not attack but runs really fast...really fast, visitors dont know he wont bite, but once they see him coming with his full speed towards the gate, my dear, you better run.

Thanks to God and my dad, and all of us, Bozo has grown to be an ajebutter local dog, just like MEREDITH GREY, he has been good, Grey trains it sometimes,(of course she is bigger than him)..we had him neutered because we do not want any unrecognised combination of an alsatian-boerboel-local mix...lol..what would we do with that?...

as for MEREDITH GREY(GREY for short)...shes really good...doesnt take nonsense,,loves the family a lot but wont tolerate strangers, she made BOZO start barking, she is very smart...very smart...knows when to come..when to go..her facial expressions are just amazing..lol...shes always ready to please and ready to devour too...

bros id love to see pictures of this dogs

1 Like

Re: Local Dogs... by xanadu101(m): 4:55pm On Oct 23, 2014
same here. i wld love to see the pix of the dog
doeying:
lol...ok...so we have this dog, his name is BOZO..his mum was an alsatian and his dad,a local dog...

(1) (Reply)

See The World's Biggest Snake / Super Cute German Shepherd Puppy At A Giveaway Price / My Vina Don't Eat Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.