Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,801 members, 7,820,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd (4770 Views)

African Elephant Escapes And Kills A German Man. This Is Sad! / Can I Get A German Shepherd For At A Low Price Of 10k / What Food Or Diet Is Best For A German Shepherd Dog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by timbros(m): 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2014
My in-law wants to sell her German Shepherd and I love the dog. So I'm thinking of taking her in.

But I haven't owned a dog all my life. Bully (the dog's name) knows me. We often play whenever I visit.

But my problem is how to take care of her. The dos and donts involved in training a dog is what I have zero knowledge of.

Please if I take Bully, how do I take care of her?
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by seyiola1(m): 3:55pm On Jul 26, 2014
Sir how old is Bully and if you need a trainer I'm always at your service .
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by timbros(m): 4:17pm On Jul 26, 2014
Not a trainer actually.

I need tips on how to take care of her. Like how to bath her, how often, feeding etc..

I hope you understand.
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by seyiola1(m): 4:42pm On Jul 26, 2014
You need to bath the dog every weekend ... And it depends on the age to know the feeding level. You need to take him on walk daily and give him your attention as in playing toghether all sort.
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by Seun(m): 8:18am On Jul 27, 2014
seyiola1: Sir how old is Bully and if you need a trainer I'm always at your service .
What can you train a dog to do?

seyiola1: You need to bath the dog every weekend
You don't need to do that unless the dog is dirty. Frequent bathing makes their skin dry and uncomfortable for them. We can afford to bath every day because we can use body lotion to replenish the oils lost from our skin, but there is no body lotion for dogs. However, you ought to brush your dog's hair frequently to remove dead hairs and make him look sharper, otherwise he will shed his dead hair all over your house.

Can you post pictures of the dog please? I will post my answer to your main question later.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by seyiola1(m): 9:03am On Jul 27, 2014
Sir I have the pictures of some dogs on my page and I do teach them basic obedience training and security training .
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by oluomoadebayo: 10:18pm On Jul 27, 2014
seyiola1: Sir I have the pictures of some dogs on my page and I do teach them basic obedience training and security training .

Are you working with bite sleeve?
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by seyiola1(m): 11:11pm On Jul 27, 2014
Yes I sometimes put on the bite sleeve for security training but not during basic obedience ... And why did you ask if you don't mind .
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by jeff1607(m): 8:23am On Jul 28, 2014
seyiola1: Sir I have the pictures of some dogs on my page and I do teach them basic obedience training and security training .
Are female dogs good for security? Can they be as good as male dogs in terms of security?
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by seyiola1(m): 8:44am On Jul 28, 2014
Male dog are the best for security guard dogs .
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by oluomoadebayo: 10:38am On Jul 28, 2014
seyiola1: Male dog are the best for security guard dogs .
Stop misleading people, nothing is wrong with female for security, it's just a thing of choice

1 Like

Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by seyiola1(m): 10:57am On Jul 28, 2014
Not to compared male guard to female there's different ... Have you seen police trained female dogs for security before .
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by Seun(m): 11:35am On Jul 28, 2014
jeff1607:
Are female dogs good for security? Can they be as good as male dogs in terms of security?
I read somewhere that female dogs are better at personal protection while male dogs are better at property protection, but I think the only significant difference between males and females with respect to security is that males, being bigger than females, are more intimidating.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by oluomoadebayo: 12:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
Seun:
I read somewhere that female dogs are better at personal protection while male dogs are better at property protection, but I think the only significant difference between males and females with respect to security is that males, being bigger than females, are more intimidating.

You are dam right. It's your choice and sex has nothing to do with it.
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by oluomoadebayo: 12:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
seyiola1: Not to compared male guard to female there's different ... Have you seen police trained female dogs for security before .

The dam of my puppies is working as a security guard in UK and if you want the picture i can post it on here.

1 Like

Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by timbros(m): 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
Sorry guys for the late reply.

@Seun, below is the dog.

I don't know the age but I know its not a puppy.

Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by Coldplay007(f): 2:52am On Aug 01, 2014
LOL.. see as everybody disappear from thread when they saw the 'GSD'..
OP this is not a GSD, this is a pure unadulterated bingo aka African mongrel...
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by Seun(m): 3:47am On Aug 01, 2014
timbros: @Seun, below is the dog. I don't know the age but I know its not a puppy.
Coldplay007: LOL.. see as everybody disappear from thread when they saw the 'GSD'..
It may not be 100% pure, but that doesn't matter. What matters is whether you like the dog as it is or not. Its coat is similar to that of pure brindle GSDs, but short, which makes it easy to keep it clean. It seems small, but smaller dogs cost less to feed well, and bark just as loud. If you don't want to adopt her, you can help your in-law to advertise the dog on Nairaland for a reasonable price, so it will go to a good home.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by wahabdisu: 1:58am On Oct 30, 2015
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by Younqwharlork: 11:09pm On Jul 07, 2019
Please house, what breed is this dog?
Coldplay007:
LOL.. see as everybody disappear from thread when they saw the 'GSD'..

Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by Thobilobah(m): 11:28pm On Jul 08, 2019
seyiola1:
Yes I sometimes put on the bite sleeve for security training but not during basic obedience ... And why did you ask if you don't mind .
Sorry if you train dogs on attack on command does it mean they wouldn't attack without your permission.. Particularly if you are not around and there's impending danger..
Re: How To Take Care Of A German Shepherd by rumenase(m): 2:00pm On Jul 09, 2019
Thobilobah:
Sorry if you train dogs on attack on command does it mean they wouldn't attack without your permission.. Particularly if you are not around and there's impending danger..
oluomoadebayo please come to his rescue

(1) (Reply)

Boerboel Puppies Available / Zara Is No More For Sale (picture) / KINDLY ADVISE, My Caucasian won't eat!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.