Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,252 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:46 AM

Speaking Jamaican Patois... - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Speaking Jamaican Patois... (24440 Views)

Voice-recording Of People Speaking Igbo And Bini in 1911 / A Thread Fi Jamaican Patois! / Time For Jamaican Proverbs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 9:36am On Jul 27, 2014
I'm a lover of jamaican patois and i speak really good to some great extent. Jamaican patois i will say, is a variety of broken english spoken in the carribeans, in countries such as Jamaica, Haiti and St. Vicent Island. The jamaican patois gain popularity through reggae and dancehall musicians and many other Jamaican and non-Jamaican musicians. Such artist like: Brick n Lace, Culture, Patra, Gyptian, Chaka Demus, etc, all from Jamaica. Nigeria artist that uses patois include Flavour, Patoranking, Frank Edwards, and host of other nigerian reggae artists. Most Nigeria youth have taken to speaking patois while most people see it as a slang talk which is not suppose to be spoken by any responsible one. Some even go as far as calling it marijuana(igboh) language. But that's not true. The jamaica patios is to Jamaicans just like pidgin English is to Nigerians. The most popular phrase in Jamaica patois is "what ah gwan?" - meaning: "wetin deh happen or how far". The Jamaican patois is said to have it's root from west africa and that's why you see the word "unu" meaning "you all" in both igbo language and Jamaica patois. Unlike the Nigeria pidgin(except those variety spoken in areas like Warri and Benin City), the Jamaican Patois is a tonal language. Which means that speaking the words alone is not just the ultimate. Lastly, i will like you to note that the word patois is pronounced /patwa/. Now learners and pro let's roll with patwa...

PS: Avoid jamaican curse words if you don't know their meaning. Words like bomboclat, bladclat, rasclat, battybwai, etc. The literary mean bottom cloth(more like tissue paper), blood cloth(sanitary pad), azz cloth(panties), butt boy(gay boy) respectively.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by tunnyl(m): 10:15am On Jul 27, 2014
Me a jew fi patwa spwieeking buh me a go twry me biest. So me fwalla yiou bampa pwon bampa.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 10:27am On Jul 27, 2014
tunnyl: Me a jew fi patwa spwieeking buh me a go twry me biest. So me fwalla yiou bampa pwon bampa.
Rude bwai. Biet yuh nuh speak laka yuh jew. Mi lub yuh chant muan. Big up fi yuh. Biet if yuh did seh yuh cyan speak well mi ah go update yuh yah. Jus hang pan mi bumpa enuh
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by tunnyl(m): 3:05pm On Jul 27, 2014
Nah mwan jwust trying mahn.. Me battery ah go flat b4 buh fired up nuh doh. man i wan u fi tiech me basics mwan. bomboclat, bladclat, rasclat, battybwai me nuh no dem miening b4 , just use dem fi curse stupidos. lol.

And wierr dem patois lavas dem?. me nuh wan no dry twhread.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by Fulaman198(m): 5:12pm On Jul 27, 2014
Almost like an Irish man trying to speak his form of English
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by bigfrancis21: 5:55pm On Jul 27, 2014
Chuxyz...I think you know you. wink
UNN graduate of 2012. wink
Nice to meet you here again on NL. smiley
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 6:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
bigfrancis21: Chuxyz...I think you know you. wink
UNN graduate of 2012. wink
Nice to meet you here again on FB. smiley
i'm not any of that. Jeez! Am i on nairaland or fb?
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 6:16pm On Jul 27, 2014
tunnyl, mi ah guh make sure di tchread a nuh run dung. Biet rait yah nuh, mi bachri a gone dung too. Make mi run gone ah charge it suh mi can update unu wid jumieka patwa. Biet before dat, a weh yuh like fi know ar learn fe patwa? Here is my translation for those who don't understand (i am going to make sure the thread does not run down. But right here now, my battery has gone down too. Let me hurry and charge it so i can update you all on jamaica patwa. But before that, what will you like to know or learn in patwa?)
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by bigfrancis21: 7:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
chuxyz: i'm not any of that. Jeez! Am i on nairaland or fb?

Nairaland of course. smiley

My moniker name should ring a bell to you, Chux.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 10:13pm On Jul 27, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Nairaland of course. smiley

My moniker name should ring a bell to you, Chux.
You come mention FB. Bros your monika no even make as if fly pass
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by bigfrancis21: 7:51am On Jul 28, 2014
chuxyz: You come mention FB. Bros your monika no even make as if fly pass

But wait, you graduated from UNN right? I know someone from UNN too with the nickname, Chuxyz, who loves and speaks jamaican patois so much, still a learner in Igbo cheesy, and is IT-savvy. One of your posts opened in 2009 shows you graduated from UNN. wink

Ikpeama!
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 10:19am On Jul 28, 2014
bigfrancis21:

But wait, you graduated from UNN right? I know someone from UNN too with the nickname, Chuxyz, who loves and speaks jamaican patois so much, still a learner in Igbo cheesy, and is IT-savvy. One of your posts opened in 2009 shows you graduated from UNN. wink

Ikpeama!
you deh make me wan believe say na me but no be me. By now you should know that there is no two chuxyz in the whole world, not to talk of one that speaks patois. Moreover there is no post of mine that proves your claim. Bia beati a e mebikwala thread mu o. Ahn ahn o bu gini kwanu? I na e so-arim ebe obula bumpa to bumpa. Ugbua i mata go na obu muwa, o ga obuzi i na mebi thread mu otua ichoro i ji mebi igbo thread mu nke no na FP di oda day. Lol! A mam na i no nairaland okemgbe. Ma mgbe a i na-ekwu maka ogaracha na agaracha. A ma m na i mata na obu mua, di thread agaghi a gwu ruo taa. Hahahaha. Bros abeg free me
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by bigfrancis21: 1:10pm On Jul 28, 2014
chuxyz: you deh make me wan believe say na me but no be me. By now you should know that there is no two chuxyz in the whole world, not to talk of one that speaks patois. Moreover there is no post of mine that proves your claim. Bia beati a e mebikwala thread mu o. Ahn ahn o bu gini kwanu? I na e so-arim ebe obula bumpa to bumpa. Ugbua i mata go na obu muwa, o ga obuzi i na mebi thread mu otua ichoro i ji mebi igbo thread mu nke no na FP di oda day. Lol! A mam na i no nairaland okemgbe. Ma mgbe a i na-ekwu maka ogaracha na agaracha. A ma m na i mata na obu mua, di thread agaghi a gwu ruo taa. Hahahaha. Bros abeg free me

grin grin. You wan show me say you sabi speak Igbo baa...I dey clap for d person wey help you type d Igbo. smiley

Also, I can see 4 hidden threads of yours on your profile about free browsing cheats in UNN and UNN Naija students forum. That says it all. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 5:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
bigfrancis21:

grin grin. You wan show me say you sabi speak Igbo baa...I dey clap for d person wey help you type d Igbo. smiley

Also, I can see 4 hidden threads of yours on your profile about free browsing cheats in UNN and UNN Naija students forum. That says it all. smiley
fi yuh likkle mind. Mi know yuh ah go feel like FBI rait nuh. Yuh nuh beat mi fa igbo ahn yuh nuh beat mi fa patwa too grin
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 9:36pm On Jul 28, 2014
Wah
You
A
Say
To
De
Pickney
Dem?
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 9:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
Me
Neva
Kno
Sey
All
De
People
A
Wan
Fi
Talk
Patwa
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 9:39pm On Jul 28, 2014
Awesome
Thread!!, grin
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 9:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
Yu
Ago
Bunnup
Inna
De
Sun....
Me
Ago
Search
Fa
De
Shead.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 10:05pm On Jul 28, 2014
Unu
Know
About
De
Ackee
An
Salfishh
An
Hardough
Bread.....
Gwan
Nuh!!!!!
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 11:40am On Jul 29, 2014
fightforchange1: Unu
Know
About
De
Ackee
An
Salfishh
An
Hardough
Bread.....
Gwan
Nuh!!!!!
hmmmm, sisthren, big up fi yuh. Fi real mi nuh expect fi see nuh gyal yah. Nice wan mi lub yuh chant enuh
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 11:44am On Jul 29, 2014
fightforchange1: Awesome
Thread!!, grin
rispet fi yuh. Mi see seh yuh speak patwa so well ahn mi tink yuh nuh come fram mi kanchri cah ina mi kanchri, di gyal dem ah nuh speak patwa.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 2:43pm On Jul 29, 2014
chuxyz: rispet fi yuh. Mi see seh yuh speak patwa so well ahn mi tink yuh nuh come fram mi kanchri cah ina mi kanchri, di gyal dem ah nuh speak patwa.
Mi
Fada
Bon
A
Jamaica.
I
Only
Know
De
Básics
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 2:45pm On Jul 29, 2014
fightforchange1:
Mi
Fada
Bon
A
Jamaica.
I
Only
Know
De
Básics

Hey hVve you ever had ackee
Try it wit green banana.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 7:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
fightforchange1:

Hey hVve you ever had ackee
Try it wit green banana.
a weh dem use ackee fa? Mi nuh yah nuhtin bout it before. Suh, ah weh yuh current lokeshan ahn weh yuh mum fram?
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 2:08am On Jul 30, 2014
chuxyz: a weh dem use ackee fa? Mi nuh yah nuhtin bout it before. Suh, ah weh yuh current lokeshan ahn weh yuh mum fram?
Shes
American.
Ackee
Is
Jamaica
Breakfast
Food.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 8:24am On Jul 30, 2014
fightforchange1:
Shes
American.
Ackee
Is
Jamaica
Breakfast
Food.
suh ah weh yuh deh rait now? America ar Jamaica? Cah mi nuh yah notin bout ackee fi nigeria. Mi tink nobadi nyam such yah.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 8:28am On Jul 30, 2014
chuxyz: suh ah weh yuh deh rait now? America ar Jamaica? Cah mi nuh yah notin bout ackee fi nigeria. Mi tink nobadi nyam such yah.
Uhhh.
Well
Try
To
Visit
Jamaica.
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 8:34am On Jul 30, 2014
fightforchange1:
Uhhh.
Well
Try
To
Visit
Jamaica.
fi real. Mi ah go try someday. Wah make yuh no wan tell mi yuh location?
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 8:38am On Jul 30, 2014
chuxyz: fi real. Mi ah go try someday. Wah make yuh no wan tell mi yuh location?
Oh
I
Live
In
North
Long
Beach ...
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 8:47am On Jul 30, 2014
fightforchange1:
Oh
I
Live
In
North
Long
Beach ...
wah make yuh tink mi ah go know deh? Suh which kanchri?
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by fightforchange1(f): 8:51am On Jul 30, 2014
chuxyz: wah make yuh tink mi ah go know deh? Suh which kanchri?
California,usa.....where
You
Live?
Re: Speaking Jamaican Patois... by chuxyz(m): 9:10am On Jul 30, 2014
fightforchange1:
California,usa.....where
You
Live?
Wow! Dat a cool. Mi deh ah Port Harcourt, Nigeria. Wa make yuh type vertical?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘Egbira’ Finally Gazetted As Common Name For An Ethnic Group / Can You Tell A Nigerian By Their Face? / An Onicha Traditional Wedding (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.