Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,352 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? (1955 Views)

Things We Need To Know Before Ramadhan / Is It A Sunnah Of The Prophet(s.a.w) To Celebrate Eid Maulud? / We Let Muslims Celebrate Eid El Kabir In Peace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by AlBaqir(m): 4:57am On Jul 28, 2014
Thoughts on Eid

Many people wonder why we celebrate Eid at the end of Ramadhan. Are we happy that Ramadhan has finished? How can we be happy that such a great month of Allah, with all its blessings and mercies, has gone away?

The actual reason we celebrate Eid is not because we are glad the holy month is over, but because we are thankful to Allah for giving us the chance and the strength to carry out His commands in the blessed month. We are happy that we were able to
fast and pray in Ramadhan, and have hopefully attained Taqwa, the goal of fasting.

In the holy Qur'an Allah talks about Eid. He says in Sura al-Baqarah, ayat no.185:

"You shall complete the number (of days) and you may glorify God for His guiding you, and that you may be thankful."

Imam Ali (a) has a very beautiful hadith about Eid in which he says: "Eid is for him whose fasts have been accepted by Allah, and whose worship has been appreciated by Allah. Everyday in which you do not disobey Allah is a day of Eid."

This hadith is something to think about. Every day in which we do not commit a single sin, is actually a day of Eid for us.

The Holy Prophet (peace be upon him and his households) and the Imams of his Ahl al-bayt ( peace be upon them) celebrated Eid and encouraged all Muslims to do so. This is also the practice of the sahaba (the blessed companions of the prophet).

They told Muslims to wear good clothes, put on perfume, and go to the masjid to recite the Eid prayer. They also said we should exchange Eid greetings, visit each other, and generally pass the day joyfully. We are supposed to remember the poor by taking out the fitrah before Eid, and visiting them and sending them gifts if we can.

The day of Eid is meant for remembering Allah. The Holy Prophet (s) says: "Give beauty to your Eid by doing Takbir". It is said that the Prophet (s) himself used to come out of his home on the day of Eid, reciitng the Takbir and glorifying Allah in a loud voice.

Celebrating Eid unites Muslims. As a community, they get closer to work together to make it a memorable occasion. Eid prayers, and other programs held to celebrate it allow Muslims to meet and enjoy the company of one another.

Source: www.al-islam.org

May Allah purify and accept all our acts of worship.
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 5:00am On Jul 28, 2014
coming back
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by AlBaqir(m): 6:10am On Jul 28, 2014
Imam Ali (A.S)’s Sermon On the day of Eid-ul-fitr

Eid-ul-Fitr is a great day of festival for Muslims. It is a day of rejoicing and being happy. But for whom? Is it the day of rejoicing for those who simply put on new clothes and wear perfume? Or is it the day of being happy for those who were eagerly waiting for the release of the greatest enemy of mankind, Satan, from his captivity so that they all revert to committing sins?

Unfortunately, many Muslims abstain from sins during the month of Ramadan, but come Eid-ul-Fitr, they go back to what they were before! Cassettes of prayers, which were in their cars during the holy month of Ramadan, are thrown back into their cases and replaced with those, which are unlawful, by Shari'ah. The forbidden places from which they had abstained for month long, are infact the same places they go to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr.

Just as, when a person goes to a college, or a university and at the completion of his course, he receives his award marking his achievement, we must understand that, the holy month of Ramadan is a spiritual university where we are being trained to achieve Taqwa i.e. piety. The day of Eid-ul-Fitr is when Allah (SWT) is awarding us for our achievements.

On the day of Eid-ul-Fitr, Imam Ali (A.S.) delivered a sermon in which he said:
"O people! Verily this day of yours is the day when the righteous are awarded and the wretched are losers. It is a day which is similar to the one on which you shall be standing (before your Lord). Therefore, when you come out of your homes to go to places of your prayer, remind yourselves about the day when you (your souls) shall come out of your bodies to go to your Lord. When you stand on places of your prayer, remind yourselves of your standing in presence of your Lord (on the day of Judgement). And when you return to your homes (after prayer), remind yourselves about your returning to your homes in Paradise. O Servants of Allah! Verily the minimum reward for those men and women who fasted (during Ramadan), is an Angel, who calls out to them on the last day of the month of Ramadan (saying): O SERVANTS OF ALLAH! REJOICE THE GLAD TIDING THAT ALL YOUR PREVIOUS SINS HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN. Therefore, watch out in those things which serve as your re-creation (on this day and days to follow)" (Nahjul-Balaghah).

http://english.almaaref.org/essaydetails.php?eid=1654&cid=220
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by AlBaqir(m): 9:20am On Jul 16, 2015
E'id Mubarak to all the Muslims on NL.
lanrexlan, kazlaw2000, empire, rilwayne001 (Ahmad Deedat of NL), AgentXxx, Hkana, tbaba1234, Sissie, maclatunji, MrOlai, and everybody I failed to mention.

May Allah accept our sawm, qiyam and salat, sadaqa and other forms of ibaadat. May He preserve us to witness more of Ramadan in life and help us to achieve the goal of Ramadan, which is Taqwa.

NB: Though its a day or two earlier, I just wanna be the first to extend E'id greetings.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by Rilwayne001: 9:37am On Jul 16, 2015
AlBaqir:
E'id Mubarak to all the Muslims on NL. , rilwayne001 (Ahmad Deedat of NL), and everybody I failed to mention.

Yaayyyyy shocked shocked ! Ahmad Deedat ke? I am still a learner o. Thanks for the compliment dear brother smiley

May Allah accept our sawm, qiyam and salat, sadaqa and other forms of ibaadat. May He preserve us to witness more of Ramadan in life and help us to achieve the goal of Ramadan, which is Taqwa.

[size=30pt] AMEENA YAH ALLAH [/size]

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by lanrexlan(m): 6:35am On Jul 17, 2015
AlBaqir:
E'id Mubarak to all the Muslims on NL.
lanrexlan, kazlaw2000, empire, rilwayne001 (Ahmad Deedat of NL), AgentXxx, Hkana, tbaba1234, Sissie, maclatunji, MrOlai, and everybody I failed to mention.

NB: Though its a day or two earlier, I just wanna be the first to extend Eid greetings.
Ameen thumma ameen to your duas dear brother. Eid Mubarak to you,your family.

Eid Mubarak to Empiree, albiol,Abuamam, harmeenart,rilwaynee001,kayword ,Sissie, udatso , greetings, sino, tbaba1234 , BetaThings, talk2me006,tintingz,vedaxcool,babylolaroy, ummsulaym, 1n2n3,wizeboy, phunsukhwangudu, teewhyraul, zeinymira, golpen, maclatunji, passingshot, penmight, mukina2, Jarus, haffaze77,usba,ameenahz, Hkana, Jamo93 and all Nairaland Muslim community as a whole .

Eid Mubarak to usermane too, we don't know if your creed celebrates eid, anyhow sha eid Mubarak

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by haffaze777(m): 7:34am On Jul 17, 2015
lanrexlan:

Eid Mubarak to Empiree, albiol,Abuamam, harmeenart,rilwaynee001,kayword ,Sissie, udatso , greetings, sino, tbaba1234 , BetaThings, talk2me006,tintingz,vedaxcool,babylolaroy, ummsulaym, 1n2n3,wizeboy, phunsukhwangudu, teewhyraul, zeinymira, golpen, maclatunji, passingshot, penmight, mukina2, Jarus, haffaze77,usba,ameenahz, Hkana, Jamo93 and all Nairaland Muslim community as a whole .

Eid Mubarak to usermane too, we don't know if your creed celebrates eid, anyhow sha eid Mubarak

jazzakumllah khair brother,may Allah accept our ibadah
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by AlBaqir(m): 9:12am On Jul 17, 2015
lanrexlan:

grin Me too join you hare saying "anyhow sha eid Mubarak to username".

My Eid greetings to vedaxcool (alhamdulillah its Eid so we are very cool bro), babylolaroy, udatso, sino, LagosShia, Abuaman

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by usermane(m): 11:24am On Jul 17, 2015
Thanks lanrexlan and Albaqir. It is surely an honor completing the numbered days fasting and i wouldn't mind celebrating Eid. Only that i do not attach religious significance to Eid.
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by vedaxcool(m): 12:00pm On Jul 17, 2015
AlBaqir:

grin Me too join you hare saying "anyhow sha eid Mubarak to username".

My Eid greetings to vedaxcool (alhamdulillah its Eid so we are very cool bro), babylolaroy, udatso, sino, LagosShia, Abuaman

Geee thanks a lot may Allah reward u for ur good gesture.
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by Empiree: 10:39pm On Jul 17, 2015
^^^^ Khair Mubarak
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by lanrexlan(m): 9:07pm On Jul 18, 2015
usermane:
Thanks lanrexlan and Albaqir. It is surely an honor completing the numbered days fasting and i wouldn't mind celebrating Eid. Only that i do not attach religious significance to Eid.
You are welcome. Good you won't mind celebrating it, not like your brother who finds faults with it.
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by PhunsukhWangdu(m): 9:41pm On Jul 23, 2015
lanrexlan:

Just reading this, never got the mention (the username wasn't spelt correctly)

Taqobbala LLoohu minnaa wa minka yaa akhiyal kareem!

4 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by ummsulaym(f): 1:36pm On Jul 24, 2015
lanrexlan:

Eid Mubaraka to you too brother although in arrears... TaqabbalAllahu minna wa minkum

Yes! Ramadan is gone for the year but May its tranquility and zeal to obey kind of spirit remain with us...

2 Likes

Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by lanrexlan(m): 7:01am On Aug 06, 2015
ummsulaym:

Eid Mubaraka to you too brother although in arrears... TaqabbalAllahu minna wa minkum

Yes! Ramadan is gone for the year but May its tranquility and zeal to obey kind of spirit remain with us...
Ameen thumma ameen. It's been a while, hope you and your loved ones are good? May Allah ease your affairs
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by ummsulaym(f): 7:48pm On Aug 15, 2015
lanrexlan:
Ameen thumma ameen. It's been a while, hope you and your loved ones are good? May Allah ease your affairs

It's really been a while bro. Na'am, I am good and everyone around. Ameen and you too. Jazakallahu
khairan!
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by babylolaroy(f): 6:14am On Sep 09, 2015
ummsulaym:

sister, you are back on?...ah missed yuuuu
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by babylolaroy(f): 6:21am On Sep 09, 2015
usermane:
this guy is one weird dude. its been a while av been here so av kinda missed your banters. its belated buh m gon ask why u dont attach any religious significance to eid
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by babylolaroy(f): 6:22am On Sep 09, 2015
now that sister haritha is here, i am back fully...i got a bit tired of this forum, buh now i am once more enthusiastic.
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by babylolaroy(f): 6:25am On Sep 09, 2015
Rilwayne001:

Yaayyyyy shocked shocked ! Ahmad Deedat ke? I am still a learner o. Thanks for the compliment dear brother smiley

[size=30pt] AMEENA YAH ALLAH [/size]

if our der albaqir can call you Ahmed Deedat..then hi, you really are mashaaAllah. baarakAllahu fiihi
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by babylolaroy(f): 6:30am On Sep 09, 2015
@zeennurei and @ dotlanre, both of whom had messaged me privately, i cant see any msg. i just got notifications, as yu see m just coming online....sorry, nd yu may msg me again if the event for wic you did so earlier has not passed. salam alaykum....
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by usermane(m): 5:31am On Sep 10, 2015
babylolaroy:

this guy is one weird dude. its been a while av been here so av kinda missed your banters. its belated buh m gon ask why u dont attach any religious significance to eid

Welcome back. You know, we are discussing doctrines here and any Islamic doctrine must have it root in the Qur'an. A doctrine devoid of theological roots in the Qur'anic passages and unjustiable by moral or legal precepts of the Qur'an cannot be so central to a believer 's faith. This is the case for Eid. Look through the entire passages of the Qur'an, the word 'Eid' is used only once; Qur'an 5:114, where Jesus asked God for a table of food as a sign & for the disciples to feast. No where does the Qur'an imply Eid as traditional scholars posit today and no where can any prescription of an feast or celebration at the end of Ramadan be found in Qur'an.

See here is another problem with Eid-el Fitr. Fasting in itself is not achievement, but rather a means to an achievement. Unless one is certain that his fast were perfect and have been accepted by God, why make a big seal out of it with Eid-el Fitri?
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by ummsulaym(f): 1:26pm On Oct 26, 2015
babylolaroy:

sister, you are back on?...ah missed yuuuu

Annoyingly, it's been a while. lol! Lost your contact. On a serious note dearie, do call me. Gat news bi iznillah...
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by babylolaroy(f): 6:38am On Dec 19, 2015
ummsulaym:

Annoyingly, it's been a while. lol! Lost your contact. On a serious note dearie, do call me. Gat news bi iznillah...

yeah yar.....Happy married life oooo...baarakAllahu fiihi
Re: Why We Celebrate Eid...are We Happy Ramadhan Has Finished? by tunde1200(m): 9:49am On Dec 22, 2015
pls brother and sisters when is maolud nabiy coming up?

(1) (Reply)

13 Die As Lightning Strikes Mosque / Prophet’s (صلى الله عليه و سلم) Marriage With Young Aisha / Do Israeli Muslims Call God Yahweh Or Allah ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.