Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:45 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1351799 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:53pm On Oct 11, 2016
cuspy:

I registered with 50k.

I paid before their promo was over. Those gregmattoefl people.

oh u were lucky, when is ur exam?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 11, 2016
ponpon:

Can we talk sir,you can hit a high score still, the difference between scores are study materials

i would b glad if i can b talked 2, i feel more scared than prepared n because of ds fear, i make silly mistakes when solving and the answers of my mistakes do correspond wit d options, and d verbal, all those vocab words, my gawd, i cant finish learning them b4 d exam
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 10:48pm On Oct 11, 2016
Gunbiz:

oh u were lucky, when is ur exam?

It's 5th Dec.

Call those examplanet guys too to compare prices. Or you've registered already
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 10:48pm On Oct 11, 2016
ChemEngr01:

And me too please
Goodluck to you too!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 10:55pm On Oct 11, 2016
rogerdavid:
Hello Guys

I know I have missed much. But it would be ungrateful of me having gained so much from following this thread and having a successful GRE as a result to then sign off completely. I am sure that I have missed much since I resumed Grad school in August. But then, this is my own little way of greeting all the Gurus in the house. I hope it is accepted!

You welcome back.

Are you by chance in the social sciences? And what school are you pls?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by yorex2011: 12:23am On Oct 12, 2016
For those who are having problems preparing or just need some more motivation, i could create a whatsapp group, I'm not writing the gre for now, but I've gone through some resources and truthfully, one should be able to score 320+ easily. Tho i plan to score 340 when its my time to write it, i may be able to help folk out...

The first time i tried any gre Quant question, i had about 19 over 20.. The quants are the best bet for scoring high generally.

Personally i don't like verbal stuff s but thankfully, the gre has a standard which can be learned.

It would really be nice conversing with folks here on a chat group cos everyone has a common goal.

Goodluck to you all...

Me I'm still stuck trying to gather more experience as a masters in software engineering no be child's play

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Skmoney: 7:27am On Oct 12, 2016
Good morning guys... Am new and am so happy you guys are doing great job

I am planning to study graduate program in any university in the US with full funding
I have my CGPA to 4.0/5... Is my cgpa qualified for full funding and what score should I aim for my GRE and TOEFL pls....

I will appreciate you guys if I can get an urgent response
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Dominic147(m): 8:24am On Oct 12, 2016
@Glowrie22 am sure nailed the exams... Pls I will need ur assistance in nailing mine also cos mine is slated for next month.. Pls I will really appreciate if u can help me wit ur textbooks and past questions and other useful materials so I can nail mine as well cos am sure u've nailed urs already.. Ur swift reply will be highly appreciated.. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:41am On Oct 12, 2016
Skmoney:
Good morning guys... Am new and am so happy you guys are doing great job

I am planning to study graduate program in any university in the US with full funding
I have my CGPA to 4.0/5... Is my cgpa qualified for full funding and what score should I aim for my GRE and TOEFL pls....

I will appreciate you guys if I can get an urgent response
What do you mean by 'full funding?'. You mean tuition + fees + accomodation + visa fees + flight ticket?

How good are you in negotiation?

Your GPA, by itself, doesn't qualify you for anything. Sorry, but you've got to bring your whole armory to the battle field. Your GPA stands a chance though. Score above 330 on the GRE, and aim to score 29 on each aspect of the TOEFL. I can't really give you specific score targets, except those. That's all for now.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 11:46am On Oct 12, 2016
So, it's official!

It's no longer a choice between the IELTS or TOEFL. More schools want to stop accepting the IELTS.

Take the TOEFL to be on the safer side.

Thank you!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 12:24pm On Oct 12, 2016
Ajibade105:
Please add ajibade.kehinde@yahoo.com to the FB page

Done...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Bolisticbond026: 12:41pm On Oct 12, 2016
Plz can u guys add me to the whatsapp group i really need guideline on how to crack the gre exam.Dis is my number 09098575165 thanks in advance guys.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 6:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
Oya oh! Where are our today's GRE blasters? Come and announce your wonderful scores! #@iCool, Glowrie22 and ChemEngr01#
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 12, 2016
cuspy:

It's 5th Dec.

Call those examplanet guys too to compare prices. Or you've registered already

i av registered o wit 65k, examplanet is 65k, so dat means u r taking ur exam in lag?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:53pm On Oct 12, 2016
yorex2011:
For those who are having problems preparing or just need some more motivation, i could create a whatsapp group, I'm not writing the gre for now, but I've gone through some resources and truthfully, one should be able to score 320+ easily. Tho i plan to score 340 when its my time to write it, i may be able to help folk out...

The first time i tried any gre Quant question, i had about 19 over 20.. The quants are the best bet for scoring high generally.

Personally i don't like verbal stuff s but thankfully, the gre has a standard which can be learned.

It would really be nice conversing with folks here on a chat group cos everyone has a common goal.

Goodluck to you all...

Me I'm still stuck trying to gather more experience as a masters in software engineering no be child's play

that would b nice if u create the watsapp, once it is created, u can drop ur number here so we msg u 4 addition
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 7:04pm On Oct 12, 2016
Gunbiz:

i av registered o wit 65k, examplanet is 65k, so dat means u r taking ur exam in lag?

Ok. sha blast, it's all that matters.

And yea, I'm taking it in lag.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
cuspy:

Ok. sha blast, it's all that matters.

And yea, I'm taking it in lag.

dats whr my fear is, no time 2 mysef 2 prepare
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by manwonder: 7:21pm On Oct 12, 2016
Hello guys,

I just registered for the Computer-delivered GRE General Test yesterday and I will be sitting for it Dec.4, and I must admit that I know much about the exams cry

However, from what I've gathered from the few pages of this thread that I've read (I must admit that I have not gone through each page of this thread because of the volume), the POWERPREP® II, Version 2.2 Software is not sufficient to prepare for the computer-delivered test. As such, I would like to find out the following:
a.) Is there a single textbook one can focus on and use in preparing for, and passing, this exam without having to combine textbooks as suggested by the OP?
b.) If so, which of the textbooks would that be?
c.) In case one cannot do without combining textbooks, which other combination would you suggest, apart from the one suggested by the OP?

Expecting your responses, guys!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2016
Gunbiz:

dats whr my fear is, no time 2 mysef 2 prepare

You don't have to fear, at all. Fear breeds silly mistakes and then makes you more scared of the real thing. Even if you have a month or less left, plan and use the time the best way you feel you can. Cover as much as you can, be proud of how much you've covered and be satisfied with your progress. Don't give room for fear or doubt at all.

Are you working?
What date did you pick?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 12, 2016
cuspy:

You don't have to fear, at all. Fear breeds silly mistakes and then makes you more scared of the real thing. Even if you have a month or less left, plan and use the time the best way you feel you can. Cover as much as you can, be proud of how much you've covered and be satisfied with your progress. Don't give room for fear or doubt at all.

Are you working?
What date did you pick?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
manwonder:
Hello guys,

I just registered for the Computer-delivered GRE General Test yesterday and I will be sitting for it Dec.4, and I must admit that I know much about the exams cry

However, from what I've gathered from the few pages of this thread that I've read (I must admit that I have not gone through each page of this thread because of the volume), the POWERPREP® II, Version 2.2 Software is not sufficient to prepare for the computer-delivered test. As such, I would like to find out the following:
a.) Is there a single textbook one can focus on and use in preparing for, and passing, this exam without having to combine textbooks as suggested by the OP?
b.) If so, which of the textbooks would that be?
c.) In case one cannot do without combining textbooks, which other combination would you suggest, apart from the one suggested by the OP?

Expecting your responses, guys!

i guess u can use grubber just like d op did, he got above 300 wit it
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Ajibade105(m): 8:40pm On Oct 12, 2016

yorex2011:

Goodluck to you all...

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 8:44pm On Oct 12, 2016
Gunbiz:

yes, dec 7

Ok. Just plan well. Try to do something each day till the D-day.

You'll be fine.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by ChemEngr01: 9:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
drhopeful:
Oya oh! Where are our today's GRE blasters? Come and announce your wonderful scores! #@iCool, Glowrie22 and ChemEngr01#
Well, I didn't exactly blast the GRE. I'm not much of a storyteller so I apologize if this isn't as interesting as you guys would want.

I had 316(Q160, V156)
Issue essay was quite straightforward; something about the government funding indigent students. I was able to come up with 3 solid body paragraphs and even had time to proofread. Argument essay was quite different from what I had learned. The argument was based on only one premise, so I found it hard to come up with three assumptions. However I still wrote a descent essay but didn't have time to proofread.

First verbal was alright but I didn't have time to finish RC questions. First Quant was simple; no traps, no tough questions. Second verbal was not too tough as well(this confirmed my suspicion that I didn't do well in the first grin) but still I didn't finish RCs. Second Quant was tough and had mad traps. I ran out of time on the 17th question. Third verbal was just there.

For those that are yet to write the test, please practise with at least 3 full length practise tests to know where u need to work on and how to manage time. All the best!

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 9:17pm On Oct 12, 2016
Guy, na your number? Abi na the number we suppose whatsapp for the grp?

Ajibade105:

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 10:33pm On Oct 12, 2016
ChemEngr01:

Well, I didn't exactly blast the GRE. I'm not much of a storyteller so I apologize if this isn't as interesting as you guys would want.

I had 316(Q160, V156)
Issue essay was quite straightforward; something about the government funding indigent students. I was able to come up with 3 solid body paragraphs and even had time to proofread. Argument essay was quite different from what I had learned. The argument was based on only one premise, so I found it hard to come up with three assumptions. However I still wrote a descent essay but didn't have time to proofread.

First verbal was alright but I didn't have time to finish RC questions. First Quant was simple; no traps, no tough questions. Second verbal was not too tough as well(this confirmed my suspicion that I didn't do well in the first grin) but still I didn't finish RCs. Second Quant was tough and had mad traps. I ran out of time on the 17th question. Third verbal was just there.

For those that are yet to write the test, please practise with at least 3 full length practise tests to know where u need to work on and how to manage time. All the best!

Congratulations.

Those are sweet scores.

Thanks for sharing, it goes a long way in giving us confidence.

All the best in your application.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Walspring: 11:53pm On Oct 12, 2016
fredoricko:
To say I've learned so much from this thread would be merely stating the obvious. A very big thank you to SirRiddy, Walspring and others. You guys are awesome.

Success to all those taking the GRE tomao.

ICool I wouldn't be surprised if you made a perfect score. I'd be here to say I told you so.

Let's give the thanks to God..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by drhopeful: 12:17am On Oct 13, 2016
ChemEngr01:

I had 316(Q160, V156)

Congrats! You blasted!!!! Gotta love your V score! I wish I could get your same issue essay topic. Really straight forward! Good luck with your applications.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OluDare01(m): 1:33am On Oct 13, 2016
ChemEngr01 nice one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 3:22am On Oct 13, 2016
Though many may dissaprove but my prep and focus has been Quant based.

Scored 159Q. Very likely I will rewrite since I am not going to grad school just to 'escape' naija.
Average Quant score for acceptance into my choice schools are between 162 - 164.
Safe schools have 159 average, [s]I cannot come and go and be standing on the edge.[/s]

Issue and Argument task were straight forward, wrote and had ample time to go through them. No score yet, No bragging right.

First Quant was filled with traps, had kidnappers and assassins all the way to the end. Needed more time to solve all.

Saw the second Quant and knew I had flunked the first, looked just like the normal powerprep questions. Had excess time to review almost all the questions after I had reached the end. Why wasn't the first like this one?? undecided

My score isn't poor but 'I need something better'.

Manhattan and Magoosh videos basically has everything needed to pass the math test. I prayed for favourable questions but didn't get that in my first Quant.

Overall, the Quant questions are similar to what you have on the ETS official booklet and the Verbal is similar to the Medium70%-Hard30% questions on the ETS practice booklet for Verbal.

Will edit my summary if I remember anything else.

Prepare your mind for noise if writing on a week day (Monday to Friday) in p.h, those school children sabi make noise.
Dress light too, no air-conditioning. Na fan dey there o.

Very key point - after all your practice, conclude with Manhattan and return back to the ETS practice questions for Q and V to get your mind in the ETS model. It is very close to the actual test but requires a lot of reasoning.

How do people score 170 on these tests!??
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 13, 2016
I wrote my exam yesterday and I totally flopped. I had 312 (Q158 V154). What can I do with this score now? SirRiddy, can I apply to kansas state university with this score? My profile currently is GPA 4.58/5, toefl 98, gre 312.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iCool(m): 7:53am On Oct 13, 2016
^Why do we keep seeing 'beautiful scores' as flops? cheesy [s]I just hope we are not being greedy by wanting more[/s]

The GRE isn't the greatest admission requirement. A 'bad' score would hurt a good profile tho. cry

What is a bad score?

(1) (2) (3) ... (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.