Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352541 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:52pm On Dec 07, 2016
Hi guys...
While applying, please look out for schools with campus carry laws.
This thing no be seresere o
http://www.ncsl.org/research/education/guns-on-campus-overview.aspx

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:54am On Dec 08, 2016
Can someone please help with mahoosh videos please. I keep getting the attached errors from the links provided.

I stay in Ibadan and Abeokuta.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 7:13am On Dec 08, 2016
cuspy:

What were your powerprep scores? I think the powerprep is the most efficient predictor of your final scores. Manhattan and Kaplan are quite close too. Don't let the 306 destabilize you at all, you'd most like score more on the actual test. However, keep working! Use the few days you have left to do more timed practice tests. Define your own pacing strategy and possibly get a logbook and keep track of silly errors you make frequently (on the quant especially). By doing this, you become very much error cautious which would gradually raise your scores even on the practice.

Or better still, you could use the days left to go through all the magoosh videos. They'd help too. A lot can still be achieved in 10 days. I wish you the best bro!

Thanks bro. I am on magoosh video now. I will do powerprep later on Sunday. I think I am very weak in probability. And my verbal needs deliverance.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 7:36am On Dec 08, 2016
How many simulation tests does PowerPrep have?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 8:05am On Dec 08, 2016
aanexplus:

Thanks bro. I am on magoosh video now. I will do powerprep later on Sunday. I think I am very weak in probability. And my verbal needs deliverance.

Ok. The earlier you take the powerprep the better. Hope you've taken one of them before now? For probability, I think if you solve all the questions in the probability section of Manhattan 5lb and you go through all the solutions, you'd have covered nearly all you need to know on probability. You could also go through the combinatorics section too, it helps. For verbal, my lips are sealed lipsrsealed. Mine needs deliverance too.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by cuspy(m): 8:55am On Dec 08, 2016
OGreene:
How many simulation tests does PowerPrep have?

Just 2.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Denvan: 9:15am On Dec 08, 2016
sirRiddy:
Hi guys...

Yes o; very very important.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nitta08(f): 1:28pm On Dec 08, 2016
Hi guys, please how do I get to JKK house from Lekki? I have TOEFL tomorrow.
And do I need to printout the receipt ETS sent to my email? Apart from my International ID card, what else do I need to take along?
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 2:54pm On Dec 08, 2016
Nitta08:
And do I need to printout the receipt ETS sent to my email? Apart from my International ID card, what else do I need to take along?
Thanks
download UBER on your phone... you get 2500 free ride, lekki to Anthony, shouldn't eat up all of that

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by OGreene: 3:00pm On Dec 08, 2016
From lekki- costain- Ojuelegba- keep going as if you are heading to Anthony. Jkk is before Anthony. Look to the left

Or from lekki - 3rd mainland bridge - Anthony (the other side). Go down as if you are going to Palmgrove. Jkk is on that side, well before Palmgrove bus/stop

I dont know the JKK bus/stop but i know the place. Btw Palmgrove and Anthony sha.

I hope someone with the right bustop name responds b4 2moro.

Nitta08:
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Teaser4(m): 5:17pm On Dec 08, 2016
Evening guya....pls i want to take GRE next year, do I really need a paid tutorial, or I can prep on my own with Kaplan Textbooks...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 5:32pm On Dec 08, 2016
Teaser4:
Evening guya....pls i want to take GRE next year, do I really need a paid tutorial, or I can prep on my own with Kaplan Textbooks...

That depends on you. If you feel you can read on your own. Then no need for paid tutorials and vice versa

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 5:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
cuspy:

Ok. The earlier you take the powerprep the better. Hope you've taken one of them before now? For probability, I think if you solve all the questions in the probability section of Manhattan 5lb and you go through all the solutions, you'd have covered nearly all you need to know on probability. You could also go through the combinatorics section too, it helps. For verbal, my lips are sealed lipsrsealed. Mine needs deliverance too.

Alright. Thanks alot. Lemme start powerprep this night.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cephas0009: 6:02pm On Dec 08, 2016
sirRiddy:
Hi guys...

SirRiddy, I have gone through the link. All my choice schools allow for weapons on campus. How serious is the issue. Please kindly share any experience to enlighten d gravity of d decision embarassed cry
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 9:16pm On Dec 08, 2016
Scholastica16:
I wish I had a better testimony to give but this one will make do for now afterall, it is the end-goal that we are all interested in and by end-goal I mean Admission and funding.

I am a second time writer. My first was in late October perhaps about the same time that Drhopeful and Seeker88 wrote theirs. I had just about 2 months of preparation which started with some online blogs and slowly graduated into using the materials that were provided on this thread.

I used Princeton review for everything with a major concentration on the verbal and I started with Nova for the Quants before transcending into Manhattan. I also used the general Nova that had aspects of V and AWA, Barrons, and then Magoosh. I just watched all the Magoosh videos passively i.e I understood all that was being explained without attempting to solve it myself. Eventually, I ended my preparation with the ETS official guide when gurus like EssayHelp and generally people on quora who did really well said it was still the best preparatory book. The only full-length test I did prior to writing my test was the PowerPrep II and even at that, I did not go through the corrections or answer reviews because DanjaNinja had warned that the PowerPrep was easier than the main GRE.

To cut a long story short I got Q 162 V 156 AWA 4.5. As soon as my scores flashed before my eyes I knew I was going to do a retake. Perhaps, Hirschfelder's recent grand success played into my mind. Topiipii's too. I remember I kept telling myself "after all your preparation see what it amounted to".

I would have scheduled that retake as soon as 21 days was up but I was bogged down by my preparation for the TOEFL so I moved my date to yesterday. My new strategy for the GRE was hinged on my V as I knew I trivialised the RCs the previous one. I spent my time ensuring I got 10 of my TCs and SEs in both tests and just did my RC sections cursorily. I know this because I looked at my diagnostics and saw that I got 13/20 in both Vs which was scaled to 156. So this time around I was going to take the RCs much more seriously.

I re-did the first PowerPrep few days into my TOEFL preparation and scored 164. I applied Princeton's POE method and read the passages as fast as a pharmacist will read through a scribbled prescription while at it, I would be summarising what that paragraph was talking about. In reality I was going to leave my preparations at that till I went to re-read Hirschfelder's tips about full- length tests and before one could say "Robison Crusoe" ChemEngr01 had come with his own testimony about full-length tests and his intimidating 167 Q-score.

So I took heed from the information gleaned on this thread and began searching for the online full-length tests and with Seeker's help I gained access to Kaplan's 2016 and 2017 test (for the latter I did only the diagnostic test as the others seemed repeated). I also stumbled unto another good resource called "Petersonspublishing.com". My first Kaplan test had my V at 166 and Q 156. I realised why because I did 3 Qs with one of them being adjudged as the experimental and my last section was my second (I was tired my the last section). So I restrategised and did the next test this time V was 160 and Q 160. When I realised I needed to be improving my Q score more (as an engineering graduate) I began skipping the V and focusing on the Q. Immediately, I saw a good jump from 160 to 164 to 168 and 170 by my final Kaplan test.

The Peterson platform is a bit different but I noticed I always did well in my easy and medium sections for the Q and did badly in the hard part. By badly, I mean 11/20, 10/20 etc. Just hovering around the 50-60% mark. I somehow found a way to console myself claiming that ETS will not set that level of difficulty all through the 2nd test stretch. Also, I consoled myself with the fact that I never did less than 18/20 in the easy or medium sections.

I rounded off my preparations for my second GRE using the ETS guide. It wasn't the regular one we had here but a bit of the same questions. Only difference is this edition was still dealing with the 800 scale and they had two V and Q tests each 25 in number with a specificied 35mins for each V and 40 mins for each Q. I got 21/25 in the first V and 18 in the second. But I had 22 in the first Q and 21 in the second. Then I did the 2nd PowerPrep which came out as Q-166 and V- 160.

I tried pysching myself up by saying Adrenalin will help me in the hall to raise my V to 164 and keep my Q at that range of my PowerPrep. In my heart, my target score was 330 combined but minimum of 166 Q V 164 and atleast a 4.5 in AWA.

I saw VQVQV yesterday and in my estimation did V1 and V3 very well. My V2 was iffy to call a spade and spade. I prayed my V2 will be experimental but I now doubt that was the case. My Q on the otherhand was harder and more time consuming than I hoped it would have been. In fact, I did not have time at all to review any of my sections. I realised I made one mistake but that was in hindsight. The eventual score was Q-164 V-160. Just a 6 mark differential from the first one.

I can't pretend I am excited but I am wise enough to know that my focus should be on what it will help me do- which is to get the admission I want and funding. I don't know how to guage my AWA this time around but I think it was just about the same with my first GRE. I did not practice AWA that much either of the times. I read HappyDay's post on how he got his 5.5 and I think I emulated his template (without his content obviously grin ).

I am never going to rewrite the GRE. The exam is more of an endurance test than one for acumen or intellect. Also, I would like to thank everyone that has contributed one way or the other on this thread starting from Danja Ninja to Drhopeful to Seeker88 (without whose help I wouldn't have gained access to Kaplan). I was also buoyed by the testimony of Believerspraise and how he got admitted into LSU with a 304. I am saying this because my initial fear was that (from Africa, particularly Nigeria) if one didn't have > or = 328 with a solid GPA etc. You stood no chance. I have since disvowed that notion.

I will keep the house informed how my application goes. I am trying to get it all submitted before the year runs out. ETS TOEFL is yet to make my scores available to me, so that's pretty demoralising.

I apologise for the long post and typos if any. I made this post with my phone. I will edit it when I am settled. Cheers.
Great scores.....u nailed it boss!!!
I'm glad my little contribution helped. I wish u all d best in ur applications. #team fall 2017#

Choi!!! See scores oo....I fell like retaking this test but I don't have time on my side again sad

Baba, no need to edit d post again. U are a such a great writer.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 9:18pm On Dec 08, 2016
believerspraise:
Hi. Yes you can send me a PM; and I will do my best to respond to whatever queries you may have. I'm glad you found my text encouraging, never let your circumstances or deficiencies intimidate you, the only one who could ever hold you back from succeeding is you. Aim high, you have nothing to lose.
Thanks boss....I just sent u one. Kindly check...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 9:30pm On Dec 08, 2016
happyday:
And to the only wise God be all glory, honour and power. Today's my happy day! I'm thanking God for making me +1 today!

To every member of the house waiting for their application decisions, you will have to cause to laugh and celebrate before this year runs out. And for all December visa applicants, start picturing that US visa powerfully stamped on your passport, because it's happening to you already. Have faith, not fear.

God bless every member of this wonderful family.
Happy belated birthday boss.....wishing many more years of greater achievements. Cheers!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 9:34pm On Dec 08, 2016
seeker88:

Great scores.....u nailed it boss!!!
I'm glad my little contribution helped. I wish u all d best in ur applications. #team fall 2017#

Choi!!! See scores oo....I fell like retaking this test but I don't have time on my side again sad

Baba, no need to edit d post again. U are a such a great writer.

Your contribution was not little in any way boss. Even the way you described your preparation and how the test day felt was invaluable and I know I do not speak for myself alone.

I could understand why you'd want to re-take but I can assure you that we give too much credence to GRE maybe because we schooled in Africa. I am realising other aspects of the application contribute more weightage than the GRE. Someone I know personally is in UCLA with 315. We have seen someone on here get into LSU with 304. I am sure by the time they read your glowing LORs and strong SOP they'd have no option but to admit you.

All the best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by seeker88(m): 9:50pm On Dec 08, 2016
Scholastica16:

Your contribution was not little in any way boss. Even the way you described your preparation and how the test day felt was invaluable and I know I do not speak for myself alone.

I could understand why you'd want to re-take but I can assure you that we give too much credence to GRE maybe because we schooled in Africa. I am realising other aspects of the application contribute more weightage than the GRE. Someone I know personally is in UCLA with 315. We have seen someone on here get into LSU with 304. I am sure by the time they read your glowing LORs and strong SOP they'd have no option but to admit you.

All the best.

Thanks boss for these words of encouragement. We will all get there... wink

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 08, 2016
It is actually serious and I heard the legislation was passed in Kansas last year
to take effect starting from the Fall of 2017. The argument is that the second amendment
rights which allow Americans to bear arms should not be taken away from them. The only
way to keep guns away from campus is if all the buildings on campus are made to have
metal detectors. This is impractical financially as that will cost at least 20 million dollars
in a community college alone. People feel very strongly about this and it is quite controversial.
I was at a civil discourse yesterday where people came around and talked about the issue.
I could see the passion behind the defence of the law and I came to the conclusion that it was
just a political issue. A lady said she wants to feel safe when she is walking to her car at night
from a classroom or library. Another said he wants to be able to defend himself if someone tries
to shoot him for voting Donald Trump. One military guy even said if anyone was not cool with this,
they should go elsewhere.
So, people are still making moves to try to stall the implementation of the law by trying to bring
up a counter bill and vote against it. I will see how things go when the law takes effect. Being black
makes you a target already. Being a TA who grades scripts is another reason. If it does not work
out well, I will just move elsewhere where they are not fetish about guns. So, it is a reality on ground.
You have to make a decision.
Cephas0009:

SirRiddy, I have gone through the link. All my choice schools allow for weapons on campus. How serious is the issue. Please kindly share any experience to enlighten d gravity of d decision embarassed cry
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by happyday: 5:25am On Dec 09, 2016
seeker88:

Happy belated birthday boss.....wishing many more years of greater achievements. Cheers!
Amen, thank you!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nitta08(f): 3:16pm On Dec 09, 2016
OGreene:
From lekki- costain- Ojuelegba- keep going as if you are heading to Anthony. Jkk is before Anthony. Look to the left
Or from lekki - 3rd mainland bridge - Anthony (the other side). Go down as if you are going to Palmgrove. Jkk is on that side, well before Palmgrove bus/stop
I dont know the JKK bus/stop but i know the place. Btw Palmgrove and Anthony sha.
I hope someone with the right bustop name responds b4 2moro.
Thanks much. Your description was really helpful.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by revenant: 8:01pm On Dec 09, 2016
Does WES Evaluate Transcript from the University of Port Harcourt? I have registered with them and had concluded plans to send my transcripts. Someone was just telling me today that they don't evaluate transcript from uniport and I told him that I didnt see anything as such in thier website. Is it true?
I have sent them a mail in that regard but they have not responde.
Thank You.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2016
revenant:
Does WES Evaluate Transcript from the University of Port Harcourt? I have registered with them and had concluded plans to send my transcripts. Someone was just telling me today that they don't evaluate transcript from uniport and I told him that I didnt see anything as such in thier website. Is it true?
I have sent them a mail in that regard but they have not responde.
Thank You.

Probably untrue. However, there was an issue with WES and UNIPORT following either submission of falsified documents or the inability of UNIPORT to verify the transcripts in time enough for WES to meet their own time line. This was 2 or 3 years back. I think 2 years back though.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by revenant: 9:46pm On Dec 09, 2016
Scholastica16:

Probably untrue. However, there was an issue with WES and UNIPORT following either submission of falsified documents or the inability of UNIPORT to verify the transcripts in time enough for WES to meet their own time line. This was 2 or 3 years back. I think 2 years back though.

I didn't see anything of such is thier website, I hope they respond to my mail on time, So I know what do. I really prefer the WES, I cant afford to sent two of my Original Certificates to IERF.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 10:04pm On Dec 09, 2016
Evening guys. Please will gre state conversion rate of length, weight and co when given such questions?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 6:51am On Dec 10, 2016
I was at JKK building yesterday to take TOEFL. I have to say the exam is getting more difficult. The passages were as abstruse, recondite and esoteric as a GRE reading comprehension passage. Nevertheless, it was a good dress rehearsal for the main course of GRE on 6 January. I realized that nothing compares to the real thing, I was really surprised by how much I found it difficult to grasp the passages (And I consider myself an excellent reader). That might be a problem for GRE but thankfully not for TOEFL, since you always know where to find answers. Another thing is that it helps a lot to be conversant with the format of the exam. I can't stress enough the importance of taking full length practice tests.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 6:58am On Dec 10, 2016
aanexplus:
Evening guys. Please will gre state conversion rate of length, weight and co when given such questions?
I have never come across a question where you have to do difficult conversion of unit. The answers are usually in the unit of the question. Of course, one has to know the basic ones such as 60sec=1min, 60min=1h, cm, m, km. But conversion such as ft to inches, or pounds to kg are usually given. But even those are rare.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by aanexplus(m): 8:54am On Dec 10, 2016
Morning guys. I want to raise an issue concerning WES. Is it compulsory I do WES or any form of conversion? Most schools ain't asking for it. My gre is in 7 days... Nervous!!!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 10:29am On Dec 10, 2016
Time2Smile:
I was at JKK building yesterday to take TOEFL. I have to say the exam is getting more difficult. The passages were as abstruse, recondite and esoteric as a GRE reading comprehension passage. Nevertheless, it was a good dress rehearsal for the main course of GRE on 6 January. I realized that nothing compares to the real thing, I was really surprised by how much I found it difficult to grasp the passages (And I consider myself an excellent reader). That might be a problem for GRE but thankfully not for TOEFL, since you always know where to find answers. Another thing is that it helps a lot to be conversant with the format of the exam. I can't stress enough the importance of taking full length practice tests.

@TOEFL I thought I was the only one till I saw Drhopeful make the same complaint on this thread. Also, some people got 42 questions and 4 passages for 1hr while others (like myself) got 56questions or 5 passages for 1hr 20 mins..I wonder why though.

ETS release my TOEFL. embarassed
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nitta08(f): 6:57pm On Dec 10, 2016
Time2Smile:
Lol.. ..my dear, I was there too o. I couldn't complain. I thought it was a 'me' factor. Anyhow sha, let's wait for our scores hopefully.

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.