Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (199) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1355973 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Walewummi: 10:58pm On Feb 24, 2017
Walewummi:
Anybody having Gre materials should please forward to me walexy01@gmail.com

How long would it take to study for the GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EconMajor(m): 11:06pm On Feb 24, 2017
Congrats to all those you have gotten admissions. I'm proud of you guys. To those still expecting admission/funding, continue to trust in God.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EconMajor(m): 11:10pm On Feb 24, 2017
I would like to see more Nigerians get fellowships.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 1:08am On Feb 25, 2017
Keep up the gud work DON Riddy
sirRiddy:
True! smiley
Congrats man!!! forget MIT sf go fear to reject u..
hirschfelder:

Lol, this is quite funny. We all know the top schools are ultra hard to get into, good scores or not.....
Congrats@Seeker88...
great news imminent@drhopeful,scholar,cephas,ponpon,federiko,icool,ogreene, ETC

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:19am On Feb 25, 2017
Congratulations to hirschfelder and seeker88. Scholastica16, he remain only me and you without admit in chemical engineering. God will do it for us bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:31am On Feb 25, 2017
jaybiz007:

Congrats chief smiley. I got a rejection mail from MIST today, felt really bad. cry
I know how it feels because I was also rejected by MIST but you'll get over it sooner with better admits. You can as well apply to KFUPMS, KAUST and KAU. what's your course of study BTW?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:43am On Feb 25, 2017
hirschfelder:

Thanks a lot. I applied for PhD while doing my masters, so...with partial MSc result.
Congrats on your admission and funding. I want to know the secrets you used to shoot up your score from 310 to 332. I'll probably do my MSc elsewhere then target Fall 19 for PhD in Chemical Engineering. I have to have a gangster score like yours by then.
Ps: my gre score is 312 and I have virtually all the necessary gre materials. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 8:11am On Feb 25, 2017
adetola007:

I know how it feels because I was also rejected by MIST but you'll get over it sooner with better admits. You can as well apply to KFUPMS, KAUST and KAU. what's your course of study BTW?
Applied to KFUPM. Is kaust on? Which one is KAU?
I read civil engineering.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 8:55am On Feb 25, 2017
Good morning friends
I heartily felicitate all who have been admitted. For those waiting for decisions (on admission/funding), please stay optimistic. God who started it will finish it perfectly and favorably.
I got an email from my Graduate Coordinator yesterday(K-State), with an update on the status of my application. She wrote that I am one among others currently on hold for possible TA offer, and that if am being given, the department would recommend my application for admission to Graduate School. Also, as I didn’t show available personal funds in the Affidavit of Financial support form, my application has not yet been recommended for admission to the Graduate School.
She concluded by letting me know that an application cannot be recommended for admission to graduate school unless there is an offer for Assistantship and/or show of personal funds in the Affidavit of financial support form.
I’m hopeful and trusting God.

SirRiddy, Scholastica16, Time2Smile, Hirschfelder, Seeker88,…etc, you’re all inspiring. God bless you for your good works on this thread. You’ll not go unrewarded!

PS: I emailed her to kindly update me on the status of my application.

7 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:15am On Feb 25, 2017
tuffpuff
Good initiative you took emailing your admission guys.
I hope one of the people who have offers reject them so you can
be accepted. Good luck and expect good news from your end soon.
By the way, which program did you apply to?
PS: If you are still awaiting decisions by next month, especially when your school
does rolling admission, it would be wise to email them asking about the state
of your application. Some schools will not even send a reject email due to the
sheer volume of applications they get while others are just outright unprofessional.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 25, 2017
jaybiz007:

Applied to KFUPM. Is kaust on? Which one is KAU?
I read civil engineering.
Kaust is on. Kau is king abdulaziz university and is also currently on.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by hirschfelder: 11:21am On Feb 25, 2017
adetola007:

Congrats on your admission and funding. I want to know the secrets you used to shoot up your score from 310 to 332. I'll probably do my MSc elsewhere then target Fall 19 for PhD in Chemical Engineering. I have to have a gangster score like yours by then.
Ps: my gre score is 312 and I have virtually all the necessary gre materials. Thanks

Thanks, man. Really, there are no secrets. Just practise, practise, practise with RELEVANT materials as many people have posted here many times. For my first test, I used only Princeton Review, and did no practice tests, 3 weeks max. For the second, I used Manhattan, Kaplan, ETS guides and full length practice tests, over 2 months. So, I think practise and greater preparation time helped.
Btw, I am quite optimistic you would get in for PhD in this cycle too..All the best

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 25, 2017
hirschfelder:

Thanks, man. Really, there are no secrets. Just practise, practise, practise with RELEVANT materials as many people have posted here many times. For my first test, I used only Princeton Review, and did no practice tests, 3 weeks max. For the second, I used Manhattan, Kaplan, ETS guides and full length practice tests, over 2 months. So, I think practise and greater preparation time helped.
Btw, I am quite optimistic you would get in for PhD in this cycle too..All the best
Thank you
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 1:10pm On Feb 25, 2017
adetola007:

Kaust is on. Kau is king abdulaziz university and is also currently on.
Okay then, I will check both out. Thanks for the information bro.
Muslim?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 1:16pm On Feb 25, 2017
tuffpuff:
Good morning friends
I heartily felicitate all who have been admitted. For those waiting for decisions (on admission/funding), please stay optimistic. God who started it will finish it perfectly and favorably.
I got an email from my Graduate Coordinator yesterday(K-State), with an update on the status of my application. She wrote that I am one among others currently on hold for possible TA offer, and that if am being given, the department would recommend my application for admission to Graduate School. Also, as I didn’t show available personal funds in the Affidavit of Financial support form, my application has not yet been recommended for admission to the Graduate School.
She concluded by letting me know that an application cannot be recommended for admission to graduate school unless there is an offer for Assistantship and/or show of personal funds in the Affidavit of financial support form.
I’m hopeful and trusting God.

SirRiddy, Scholastica16, Time2Smile, Hirschfelder, Seeker88,…etc, you’re all inspiring. God bless you for your good works on this thread. You’ll not go unrewarded!

PS: I emailed her to kindly update me on the status of my application.
Congrats in advance bro.
If what they said is true, then why did they accept me quite early without any indication of funding? I even emphasized that I do not have funds in my application. K-state is just a let down or maybe I'm just overreacting.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 25, 2017
T
jaybiz007:

Okay then, I will check both out. Thanks for the information bro.
Muslim?
Yeah, already have an offer with kfupm. M.Sc in chemical engineering.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 25, 2017
jaybiz007:

Congrats in advance bro.
If what they said is true, then why did they accept me quite early without any indication of funding? I even emphasized that I do not have funds in my application. K-state is just a let down or maybe I'm just overreacting.
Calm down bro, you're only over reacting, I'm pretty sure you'll get the funding. What's your profile?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by jaybiz007(m): 1:25pm On Feb 25, 2017
adetola007:
T
Yeah, already have an offer with kfupm. M.Sc in chemical engineering.
Barakallahu fih.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 1:40pm On Feb 25, 2017
sirRiddy:
tuffpuff
Good initiative you took emailing your admission guys.
I hope one of the people who have offers reject them so you can
be accepted. Good luck and expect good news from your end soon.
By the way, which program did you apply to?
PS: If you are still awaiting decisions by next month, especially when your school
does rolling admission, it would be wise to email them asking about the state
of your application. Some schools will not even send a reject email due to the
sheer volume of applications they get while others are just outright unprofessional.

Thank you sirRiddy, I applied to Statistics Program (PhD)
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by tuffpuff: 1:49pm On Feb 25, 2017
jaybiz007:

Congrats in advance bro.

My brother...perhaps different programs have quite different procedures of processing admissions and funding. It is possible your program makes admission decisions and give out offers, then funding follows. Pls just stay calm, I believe you will get funding. Having emphasized that you do not have funds and still got accepted early, to me that is a sign that you have a propitious chance of getting funding. I'd say you should keep your hopes high.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:33pm On Feb 25, 2017
adetola007:
Congratulations to hirschfelder and seeker88. Scholastica16, he remain only me and you without admit in chemical engineering. God will do it for us bro.

Amin. Seeker88 is for Mechanical Engineering though and MSc as well. I believe all hope is not lost even for K-State. Let us just wait a bit to see how the application cycle pans out.

adetola007:

As per the highlighted portion; don't pack your bags just yet. Except you have gotten outright rejections, applications are not that easy to predict. Your profile is pretty strong to me especially considering the schools you applied to in question. I know a top GRE score could go along way, but it works best when one considers the right schools as well. A score of 330+ for instance will not be any strong advantage in some schools like Stanford because every other applicant will have just about the same score.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:36pm On Feb 25, 2017
Congrats TuffPuff, I am proud of and happy for you. I believe like DonRiddy said, that when some other person turns down their offer they would immediately send you yours hence the slight delay. They do not want to admit you without giving you the funding you deserve and that's a very good thing!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:38pm On Feb 25, 2017
jaybiz007:

Congrats in advance bro.

Calm down baba. Each program is treated differently as some generally have more funding opportunities than others. I am optimistic about your chances especially as it is for PhD?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:39pm On Feb 25, 2017
tuffpuff:

My brother...perhaps different programs have quite different procedures of processing admissions and funding. It is possible your program makes admission decisions and give out offers, then funding follows. Pls just stay calm, I believe you will get funding. Having emphasized that you do not have funds and still got accepted early, to me that is a sign that you have a propitious chance of getting funding. I'd say you should keep your hopes high.

I am just seeing this. Good response.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 25, 2017
Got this from an applicant for grad school and thought this might
be helpful to those preparing for the GRE

Dear Bleep,

Help me out with this first: Which is your given name and which is your family name? I see one order in your salutation and another order in your email address.
In some cultures, such as in England and the US, one introduces oneself with first name followed by last name. In Belgium or Poland, however, one normally introduces oneself in the reverse order with last name first and then one’s given name.
With Nigerian names, I unfortunately in most cases do not have enough contextual knowledge.

Your coursework sounds interesting and promising and gives reason for cautious optimism. If your quantitative section GRE score turn out to be high, you would be a competitive applicant in terms of preparedness for our demanding research methods sequence. A high score also would compensate for some of the doubt people might have given the absence of algebra in your courses even though some of the titles do suggest a sufficient level of mathematics.

The GRE should be approached with great seriousness and I would strongly encourage you to carefully prepare. No one preparation method has decisive properties. You must find what works best for you. Do take several practice tests.

Based on my experience with applicants from outside the US (that includes myself), I would like to suggest that you also look very closely at the analytical writing portion of the GRE. While the Verbal and Quantitative portions of the GRE are multiple choice, the analytical writing portion requires you to write some kind of essay. The score on this portion of the test is the most frequent stumbling block and area of poor performance for international students.

The Educational Testing Service (ETS), the company that creates the GRE, claims that it makes no difference where you come from but reality can be different. Think of it this way: Tens of thousands of these handwritten analytical writing essays are evaluated each year by humans. The only way to have consistency across the people marking these is to use a template. The template and associated guidelines come from a particular cultural and linguistic perspective. That is where differences in culture and language and maintaining language skill under time pressure can negatively affect the non-English test taker and even those who come from societies where English is the lingua franca. It isn’t the same English and the patterns are different. To use an example, I can almost always recognize when a European Francophone is the author of an English text because there is a distinct pattern of thought that becomes visible no matter how skilled the author’s English.

So, when you work on this part of the test, think of the task as writing an essay addressed to a specifically American audience in response to a question they have asked you. It would be wise to read several GRE guide books (including books not published by ETS itself) on how to approach the analytical writing section.
Quite aside from the effect on one’s admissions probabilities, I should point out that access to financial assistance at the University of Arkansas for students in the form of fellowships is heavily influenced by the GRE score.
The university’s fellowship committee requires a minimum 4.0 score on the analytical writing portion in order to even consider someone for a fellowship.

As to the TOEFL test: You will have to address your questions to the international admissions office at the graduate school of the University of Arkansas. They set the policy regarding whether TOEFL is a requirement.

My department provides a $13,600 graduate assistantship to every person who is admitted. However, this is insufficient to satisfy the income requirements for a student visa. You must receive a fellowship on top of the graduate assistantship. You will understand why I put so much emphasis on careful GRE preparation.

Best regards,

xxxxx, Ph.D.
Chief of Staff and Graduate Coordinator
Department of xx
University of Bleep
202 Graduate Education Building
Fayetteville, AR 72701
(479) 575-

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:49pm On Feb 25, 2017
Priority is for PhD students, both admission and funding.
jaybiz007:

Congrats in advance bro.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by emmasax(m): 12:50am On Feb 26, 2017
whatsapp me 07069368614
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 1:43am On Feb 26, 2017
Sorry for the late response. I am not in Lagos at the moment.
DMainMan:

please I need Gre materials. Send to my email:
dmainman@yahoo.com.

Where do u stay in Lagos. I can come to collect the materials
if need be.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by iseoluwa89(m): 8:14am On Feb 26, 2017
adetola007:

Hello,
Please kindly assist with the materials you have. My email is iseoluwa89@gmail.com.
Thanx
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Jyotishnath: 2:25pm On Feb 26, 2017
careerninja:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Assam Career
Gauhati University Result[/quote]
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2Smile(m): 2:32pm On Feb 26, 2017
Am I the only one feeling a bit apprehensive about studing in the US at the moment? The spate of xenophobia engendered by Donald Trump rhetoric is becoming bothersome.

Two Indians(former Grad students) were shot a few days ago in what is being described as an hate crime. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39081698

I am really considering my option, especially as a Muslim.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 2:54pm On Feb 26, 2017
Time2Smile:
Am I the only one feeling a bit apprehensive about studing in the US at the moment? The spate of xenophobia engendered by Donald Trump rhetoric is becoming bothersome.

Two Indians(former Grad students) were shot a few days ago in what is being described as an hate crime. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39081698

I am really considering my option, especially as a Muslim.
It happened in Olathe and that is in Kansas. Too many racist pieces of shi.t in Kansas. They overwhelmingly voted for that idiot. The positive thing is the resistance against the gun loving white Christian assholes all over the country and even in Kansas. I was at the women's March on Topeka and I was impressed with what I saw. America is very diverse and a country of laws, the recent nonsense executive order on travel ban that was thrown out by the court showed this. I think focusing on getting into a good school with funding should be your priority.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.