Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1354354 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Battywonder(m): 10:49am On Aug 30, 2017
Scholastica16:

Some schools accept it while some others don't, but I think the IELTS can be used in lieu of the TOEFL. Only that US schools obviously have a preference for TOEFL seeing that it is American in nature
Professor Scholastica. You're truly a scholar! As an ardent reader of this thread, I can decisively confirm you as the most active contributor recently. You can do more to help prospective Gre test takers. Please drop your contact or kindly contact me via my whatsapp with this whatsapp...I really need your help ASAP..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Battywonder(m): 10:51am On Aug 30, 2017
Scholastica16:

Some schools accept it while some others don't, but I think the IELTS can be used in lieu of the TOEFL. Only that US schools obviously have a preference for TOEFL seeing that it is American in nature
Professor Scholastica. You're truly a scholar! As an ardent reader of this thread, I can decisively confirm you as the most active contributor recently. You can do more to help prospective Gre test takers. Please drop your contact or kindly contact me via my whatsapp with this number o8i426i37i7...I really need your help ASAP..
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 11:00am On Aug 30, 2017
I know people give this advise time and again ,but if you want to learn vocabulary, then learn vocabulary, don't start reading economist and new Yorker and co. I read these websites everyday, but that's because I enjoy doing so, and trust they minimize the use of jargon, because good writing must be clutter free, straight to the point and understand able. if you want to learn vocabulary, take a thesaurus!.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by toptrendz: 11:43am On Aug 30, 2017
seeker88:

Nice one boss! Will check it out...

you should also check : [url="http://www.bloggdesk.com/free-local-business-listing-sites-get-exposure-business"]Free local business listing sites[/url]
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amandrush: 12:56pm On Aug 30, 2017
Scholastica16:
To add to what DreManuel has said, you may want to contact BY MAFIT to know their price for rescheduling the GRE. They usually have better rates than the subsisting $ to N one.

If $50 is N18,500 at the present rate, BY MAFIT might charge you N9,000-12,000 to do the same thing which is cheaper for you.

Thank you Dremanuel and Prof. Scholastic I really appreciate your unreserved input.

Please can I get the contact of By MAFIT to reschedule Albeit I still have interstice of a month.

Also, please what other schools would you recommend I apply considering my stated profile.

Lastly, am considering a PhD or an MSc by fall 2018 with possible funding, which will you recommend taking note of my profile.

Thanks always.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:08pm On Aug 30, 2017
Amandrush:

Thank you Dremanuel and Prof. Scholastic I really appreciate your unreserved input.

Please can I get the contact of By MAFIT to reschedule Albeit I still have interstice of a month.

Also, please what other schools would you recommend I apply considering my stated profile.

Lastly, am considering a PhD or an MSc by fall 2018 with possible funding, which will you recommend taking note of my profile.

Thanks always.

Actually, they have 4 numbers on their website. You can Google 'BY MAFIT' to get the link to it and ofcourse, the numbers.

I really do not know much about your program but your profile is already good as it were which broadens your options for school choices.

My experience lets me know that your sister over there would have better information WRT the funding policies of the designated schools in Texas. You could contact the grad coordinators to get more acquainted with the requirements of the schools - noting that, people can give better recommendations when your profile is complete i.e GRE, TOEFL etc.

Whether PhD or MSc again depends on a couple of factors. I would tell you to mix it. The essence of the PhD is the more-often than-not automatic funding when compared with MSc where it is never guaranteed. But then again, the last admission cycle gives one the impression that schools are generally preferring candidates for PhD that already possess a master's degree. So there is that. The grad coords or potential advisors could give something more substantial than what I have here.

Anyways, look at UNL (Nebraska Lincoln), Uni of Texas - Tyler, Missouri State Uni (Springfield), Drexel Uni, Uni of Nevada - Las Vegas, LSU, Washington State, Uni of Central Missouri **, Clemson **

** plenty funding. Top school for your course.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 2:08pm On Aug 30, 2017
Amandrush:

Thanks always.

Sorry I can't advice on what schools to apply to simply because of your GPA. And I have no knowledge of your field and the best program that would suit you. The task of finding suitable schools for you is essentially yours. You would have to make use of Google and spend time on school websites. Many times schools state their GPA requirements (usually 3.0/4.0 for tier 2 schools) as well as GRE/TOEFL/IELTS and other requirements.

Based on your GPA, GRE scores and other parameters, you will be able to judge for yourself whether you can cut the mustard.

As per funding, many PhDs are fully funded and some MSc too. But they are very competitive. You will be competing with fellow applicants entering the program for departmental funding such as scholarships, fellowships and TAs. For RA positions, you would have to network with professors who have funds and are working on research areas that have direct bearing on your academic and research interests. It is your duty to find such professors and introduce yourself to them. Upon their response to your introductory e-mail, you will be able to sense their level of enthusiasm towards you. And 8/10 times (at least in my case), they will tell you if they have funding or not, even before you ask. Just note that not all Professors you mail will ever respond. But keep pushing. At least you would know if you should apply to such schools or not. However stellar your credentials may be, if there is no faculty member in a department that can take you on based on your research interests, you are almost wasting your money and time in applying.

Let me ask, what problem or problems have you noticed in the cause of your professional career that you would want to solve by a way of research? If you can answer that, you would know which school and professor to approach.

3 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Rousel(m): 2:09pm On Aug 30, 2017
Good day Nairalanders, pls anyone preparing for GRE in kaduna?pls send a PM so we can share ideas... Two good heads better than one
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DexxyAlebs(m): 3:22pm On Aug 30, 2017
Special Advice Needed!

Someone was saying something about the spring admission cycle getting more funding than the fall admission cycle, how true is this please?

From my research Spring admission deadlines for the schools I have in mind is September 30/October 1st, and I don't think I'm prepared enough to take this test in this short while and financial part inclusive (test fees + application fees).

Since, I would most likely be applying for fall 2018, when do you feel should be the latest time I should take the test, so I can submit my applications early.

Part 2: My gre reading plan has been unbalanced, not until recently. I devoted the past months to quants (the Manhattan 6), what text would you advise I start the verbal with? Still same Manhattan?

Thank you.
MS/PhD Computer Science(in mind)
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 3:47pm On Aug 30, 2017
DexxyAlebs:
Special Advice Needed!

Someone was saying something about the spring admission cycle getting more funding than the fall admission cycle, how true is this please?

From my research Spring admission deadlines for the schools I have in mind is September 30/October 1st, and I don't think I'm prepared enough to take this test in this short while and financial part inclusive (test fees + application fees).

Since, I would most likely be applying for fall 2018, when do you feel should be the latest time I should take the test, so I can submit my applications early.

Part 2: My gre reading plan has been unbalanced, not until recently. I devoted the past months to quants (the Manhattan 6), what text would you advise I start the verbal with? Still same Manhattan?

Thank you.
MS/PhD Computer Science(in mind)

Fall is the major Semester in the US. Not all programs admit for Spring/Summer.

What the person said about funding being more available in Spring than Fall is then misleading. Maybe it was peculiar to that person. Generally, funding is more available in Fall. That doesn't mean you won't be funded in Spring/Summer, everything is subject to availability.

Since you are not prepared yet, you've made the right choice by waiting till Fall 2018. Generally, writing your GRE in November is neither too early nor late. Except your desired schools admit on rolling basis, provided you apply before the deadline for application/funding, you are good - they won't review application materials until after the deadline. Otherwise, apply as early as application opens for your desired program - and that could mean taking the GRE on time.

As per prepping for the Verbal section of the GRE, some scholars have shed much light on that, so you might want to take the pain to read back. Then if you need further classifications, you may then ask.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Amandrush: 11:16pm On Aug 30, 2017
DreManuel:

Sorry I can't advice on what schools to apply to simply because of your GPA. And I have no knowledge of your field and the best program that would suit you. The task of finding suitable schools for you is essentially yours. You would have to make use of Google and spend time on school websites. Many times schools state their GPA requirements (usually 3.0/4.0 for tier 2 schools) as well as GRE/TOEFL/IELTS and other requirements.

Based on your GPA, GRE scores and other parameters, you will be able to judge for yourself whether you can cut the mustard.

As per funding, many PhDs are fully funded and some MSc too. But they are very competitive. You will be competing with fellow applicants entering the program for departmental funding such as scholarships, fellowships and TAs. For RA positions, you would have to network with professors who have funds and are working on research areas that have direct bearing on your academic and research interests. It is your duty to find such professors and introduce yourself to them. Upon their response to your introductory e-mail, you will be able to sense their level of enthusiasm towards you. And 8/10 times (at least in my case), they will tell you if they have funding or not, even before you ask. Just note that not all Professors you mail will ever respond. But keep pushing. At least you would know if you should apply to such schools or not. However stellar your credentials may be, if there is no faculty member in a department that can take you on based on your research interests, you are almost wasting your money and time in applying.

Let me ask, what problem or problems have you noticed in the cause of your professional career that you would want to solve by a way of research? If you can answer that, you would know which school and professor to approach.

Thank you all for your selfless assistance. I will focus on my GRE and Toefl for now and make sure I ace it.. This Yankee we must go there ooh.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by obene12: 11:00am On Aug 31, 2017
Hello everyone,
The MasterCard foundation scholars program application for 2018 opens in sept for selected schools in the us and University of Pretoria application closes by sept 15. I personally did a lot of research into the program and found Nigerian badly get nominated not to mention selected for the scholars program. Kenyan's and Zimbabwe are the bulk of the students awarded the scholarship position, I think a lot of resources and strategic planning within this thread should be carried out to enable aspiring scholars get the most coveted position. While on research finding I found a particular Kenyan bank paved the way for its citizen, I still must commend scholarstical, happyday, DreManuel and others for a job well done.
#teamfall2018
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by santricedupas(m): 1:08pm On Aug 31, 2017
hello house, am new on this thread
I graduated with a 2.2 in agric extension and rural sociology from university of ibadan in 2014
I want to study in usa for masters in agric related field
I have heard of scholarships but I don't know if I can be entitled to that despite my cgpa
I need your enlightenment and genuine advice.
thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DeSepiero(m): 2:48pm On Aug 31, 2017
Scholastica16:

Don't. Apply. To. UPenn. Please.

No, it is not "compulsory" to read a potential advisor's paper but it definitely helps if you can. The reality is, if he takes interest in your initial/introductory mail he could send you a copy of his paper to read and tell him what you feel about it.

I couldn't help but notice for the second time; if you don't mind Sir, I'd like to know why you're advising some persons here not to apply to UPenn.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:51pm On Aug 31, 2017
DeSepiero:

I couldn't help but notice for the second time; if you don't mind Sir, I'd like to know why you're advising some persons here not to apply to UPenn.

Because their acceptance rate is not encouraging for international students except one has external source of funding.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 2:53pm On Aug 31, 2017
santricedupas:
hello house, am new on this thread
I graduated with a 2.2 in agric extension and rural sociology from university of ibadan in 2014
I want to study in usa for masters in agric related field
I have heard of scholarships but I don't know if I can be entitled to that despite my cgpa
I need your enlightenment and genuine advice.
thanks

Is your 2.2 up to 3.0/5.0? Then write GRE & TOEFL and take it from there. 2.2 is no excuse, people are enjoying full-funding with their 2.2 in the US as we speak.

5 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DeSepiero(m): 2:58pm On Aug 31, 2017
Scholastica16:

Because their acceptance rate is not encouraging for international students except one has external source of funding.

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 3:37pm On Aug 31, 2017
Hello friends,
I have done some research but your input will be welcome. I will love to have some sugestions for schools who will likely provide full fund with this profile of mine
CGPA: bordeline firstclass
TOEFL: 101
course: Mechanical Engineering
target degree: MS/PhD
GRE: still preparing

I believe some of you have more experience than me, so your advice will be highly valued.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by santricedupas(m): 4:28pm On Aug 31, 2017
Scholastica16:

Is your 2.2 up to 3.0/5.0? Then write GRE & TOEFL and take it from there. 2.2 is no excuse, people are enjoying full-funding with their 2.2 in the US as we speak.

thank you
my cgpa is 3.6/on 7 scale
ui 7.0 scale
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Time2reign: 4:39pm On Aug 31, 2017
@Scholastica16

what would a cgpa of 5.7/7.0 converts to on a 4.0 scale for US.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 4:59pm On Aug 31, 2017
Scholastica16:

Boss,what of those not up to 3.0,say 2.8?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by layez: 5:01pm On Aug 31, 2017
Time2reign:
@Scholastica16
what would a cgpa of 5.7/7.0 converts to on a 4.0 scale for US.
You can convert it using WES
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 6:35pm On Aug 31, 2017
akatovic1:
Hello friends,
I have done some research but your input will be welcome. I will love to have some sugestions for schools who will likely provide full fund with this profile of mine
CGPA: bordeline firstclass
TOEFL: 101
course: Mechanical Engineering
target degree: MS/PhD
GRE: still preparing

I believe some of you have more experience than me, so your advice will be highly valued.

Chief, you sef don enter here? Na so.

Interestingly, US doesn't really care about first class or 2nd class. They usually evaluate your transcripts and GPA. Some even give a higher weight to last two years of your program.

I'm in the mid of something presently. Others can take it up from here.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 12:13am On Sep 01, 2017
DreManuel:

Chief, you sef don enter here? Na so.

Interestingly, US doesn't really care about first class or 2nd class. They usually evaluate your transcripts and GPA. Some even give a higher weight to last two years of your program.

I'm in the mid of something presently. Others can take it up from here.
thanks boss, I'm making back up plans for next year, since the admission I got didn't come with funding (although we are still trusting God for PTDF), I just want to know schools with good funding for my course
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sammiel: 4:39am On Sep 01, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by athorello(m): 6:49am On Sep 01, 2017
What and what do I need to attach to my introduction mail to potential supervisors?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 10:31am On Sep 01, 2017
athorello:
What and what do I need to attach to my introduction mail to potential supervisors?

Attach your CV, transcripts and if you've published any papers related to the professor's field.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 10:48am On Sep 01, 2017
akatovic1:

thanks boss, I'm making back up plans for next year, since the admission I got didn't come with funding (although we are still trusting God for PTDF), I just want to know schools with good funding for my course

Bro, saying Mechanical Engineering is not enough. I did Mech too. But it's about finding a research area or branch of mechanical engineering that you have experience (work or research) or passion in. Then you can reach out to professors that are working in that area. Most times they will be the one to fund you based on the grants they have. And getting funding this way is relatively easier.

But, getting admission into a Mechanical Engineering program can get you partial/full departmental funding such as Merit-based scholarship, fellowships, and TA. But these are very competitive since you will be competing with the entire entering class for the funds.

Anyway, the mistake some of us made in the past was that we only applied to top schools where getting full funding is extremely difficult and only received partial funding. So I suggest you target more of tier 2 schools. If you read the previous pages, you would see some suggestions.

And if you really like research or academics, you can pursue more of PhD applications since they are given preference as per funding.

You may also Google cruchprep. They have something called "Ultimate List of Schools that Accept the GRE score of 300-310", etc
They often mention the prospects of getting funding there. And you can have an idea of where you will be competitive for funding based on your profile and scores.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 11:51am On Sep 01, 2017
DreManuel:

Bro, saying Mechanical Engineering is not enough. I did Mech too. But it's about finding a research area or branch of mechanical engineering that you have experience (work or research) or passion in. Then you can reach out to professors that are working in that area. Most times they will be the one to fund you based on the grants they have. And getting funding this way is relatively easier.

But, getting admission into a Mechanical Engineering program can get you partial/full departmental funding such as Merit-based scholarship, fellowships, and TA. But these are very competitive since you will be competing with the entire entering class for the funds.

Anyway, the mistake some of us made in the past was that we only applied to top schools where getting full funding is extremely difficult and only received partial funding. So I suggest you target more of tier 2 schools. If you read the previous pages, you would see some suggestions.

And if you really like research or academics, you can pursue more of PhD applications since they are given preference as per funding.

You may also Google cruchprep. They have something called "Ultimate List of Schools that Accept the GRE score of 300-310", etc
They often mention the prospects of getting funding there. And you can have an idea of where you will be competitive for funding based on your profile and scores.
in addition to what you have said, i advise people here to look through journals in their area of interest and get the names and contacts of the authors and researches, i have found out that some of the interesting journals come from associate professors in small name schools, who have massive grants looking to publish with their small band of grad students.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 12:12pm On Sep 01, 2017
DreManuel:

Thank you boss, that's a mistake I also made. I have a research area which I'm passionate about and your suggestion about tier 2 schools and PhD funding is spot on because my friends took advantage of that window of opportunity. I will check out crunchprep to add to my list of schools which I have already selected based on ranking, funding, research fit and mode of transcript submission.
Thanks once again

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 2:13pm On Sep 01, 2017
akatovic1:

Thank you boss, that's a mistake I also made. I have a research area which I'm passionate about and your suggestion about tier 2 schools and PhD funding is spot on because my friends took advantage of that window of opportunity. I will check out crunchprep to add to my list of schools which I have already selected based on ranking, funding, research fit and mode of transcript submission.
Thanks once again

Good one bro. Let's hope PTDF comes of age. Since you already have your application materials intact, are you considering Spring starting in January? Application is ongoing and many schools admit for that Semester. But it depends on your plans sha.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Josh4wod: 2:50pm On Sep 01, 2017
embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.