Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,993 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (304) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1353455 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Chinlov: 4:27pm On Oct 26, 2017
pls share info about good abuja centres for GRE.

many thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Chinlov: 5:01pm On Oct 26, 2017
Chinlov:

many thanks!

my Abuja gurus any leads?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 6:57am On Oct 27, 2017
Good news is that B.Y Mafit is also in Abuja and they give free intensive lectures like the Lagos center, along with the magoosh, Kaplan and all. You can get the address here: www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/toeflcentresinnigeria

geejayjax:

good day, though i'm yet to register for mine but i reside in abuja and i'll love to write it very soon.
i want to know if u registered for any classes or just read on ur own.

wish u good success
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 6:59am On Oct 27, 2017
Visit B.Y Mafit. I think they are in Wuse 2 or Central Area. Not too sure. You can look up the website I posted above. www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/gretestdatesinnigeria

Chinlov:

many thanks!
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 7:04am On Oct 27, 2017
Bro, you have helped me in a number of ways through the various posts you have posted on this platform. I envy your mercurial and congruous effervescence and the amicable and non-puerile way you handle comments and suggestions. It is lucidly clear without need of circumnavigating the prognosis that you will surely burgeon to the apogees way more than you have ever imagined. You are one of the few selfless people who truely care about the success of others
Scholastica16:

I genuinely envy you small for reasons not clear to me. Congratulations, your both scores are very good and you had enough knowledge to know when to apply etc. I am also happy you gave back to this thread. Some others got the same information you did and after using it they left without saying anything. holarwhaley2 For example is one of such people angry

I am not clairvoyant but I would be gravely surprised if you do not get 2 solid offers atleast. Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 7:06am On Oct 27, 2017
Visit www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com . Their office is in Ikeja, Obafemi Awolowo way.
geejayjax:
thanks for the information bro, i'm now in the same position u were b4 stumbling on this forum, i'll love to write the exams too.
pls can u help me with info that can help and how to get in touch with the training centre u used.

God bless bro

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 7:09am On Oct 27, 2017
Arrowgents:
Evening good ppl of nairaland i want to go for msc in d states nxt yr and knowing dat gre is a very important requirement for admission,where do i start from,i am based in lagos & which study centre can i register for tutorials

Get a cup of coffee, find a very good corner in your room, budget a couple of hours, start from the beginning of this forum, and painstakingly go through this whole thread. Take notes and make action plans while at it. You will be glad you did!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Allylic(f): 11:50am On Oct 27, 2017
geejayjax:

good day, though i'm yet to register for mine but i reside in abuja and i'll love to write it very soon.
i want to know if u registered for any classes or just read on ur own.

wish u good success....I'm reading on my own

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by geejayjax: 12:19pm On Oct 27, 2017
frostsc:
Good news is that B.Y Mafit is also in Abuja and they give free intensive lectures like the Lagos center, along with the magoosh, Kaplan and all. You can get the address here: www.gregmattoeflnigeria.com/toeflcentresinnigeria

As u shared in ur post, you said u were attending the classes B4 u picked a date for ur exam, but from what I read on their web page, there are only two free classes.

Can u shed more light on that. Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by frostsc: 1:14pm On Oct 27, 2017
geejayjax:

As u shared in ur post, you said u were attending the classes B4 u picked a date for ur exam, but from what I read on their web page, there are only two free classes.

Can u shed more light on that. Thanks

Could you elucidate on that? I know lectures right now run for weeks. I did mine for 6 weeks. Maybe you call their call center but I know it's surely not twice.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Geedhey(m): 9:12pm On Oct 28, 2017
Good evening Bosses. Plz I need some guidance on school I can apply to that accept unofficial transcript for admission processing & doesn't require external evaluation from WES & co. (Reason m looking at Fall 2018 & my school has been on strike like forever)
Elect/Elect (B. Tech) ( 3. 45/5. 0)
IELTS: (R:6.5, L:6.5, W:7.0, S:8.0 overall:7. 0)
GRE: preparing to write first week Dec.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Joshmedia1: 11:23pm On Oct 28, 2017
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 11:50pm On Oct 29, 2017
na so this guys send me my AWA score :3.5 ( 42 percentile)
this thing dey pain, if I have the finances I will rewrite this GRE, sha I expected it somehow I only prayed I could get atleast a 4
please future test takers don't neglect that section while preparing.
I will have to look for a way to explain it away in my SOP

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 7:13am On Oct 30, 2017
akatovic1:
this thing dey pain, if I have the finances I will rewrite this GRE, sha I expected it somehow I only prayed I could get atleast a 4

Sorry bro. But really tho, you want to rewrite the GRE with your 166 quant score cos of a 3.5AWA score? Mba nu. You should look at acing the TOEFL. By doing that, you'll be "making up" for the AWA score. Goodluck bro. #Fall2018 #YesWeCan

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 10:19am On Oct 30, 2017
MasterforceII:

Sorry bro. But really tho, you want to rewrite the GRE with your 166 quant score cos of a 3.5AWA score? Mba nu. You should look at acing the TOEFL. By doing that, you'll be "making up" for the AWA score. Goodluck bro. #Fall2018 #YesWeCan
thanks bro , I have taken the TOEFL already and my scores go thus;
Reading: 28
Listening: 25
Speaking: 26
Writing: 22
I will try and use it in my defence. I can only hope that the schools I'm applying to don't have these automatic score filters as I never saw any minimum AWA score on their websites

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 11:55am On Oct 30, 2017
akatovic1:

I will try and use it in my defence. I can only hope that the schools I'm applying to don't have these automatic score filters as I never saw any minimum AWA score on their websites

Woah. Nice scores bro, especially the speaking score. A speaking score of 26 is usually the cutoff for TAs from my research and it seems you're good to go. Please, how did you prepare for the speaking section though? Writing my TOEFL on the 3rd of Nov.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:29pm On Oct 30, 2017
frostsc:
Bro, you have helped me in a number of ways through the various posts you have posted on this platform. I envy your mercurial and congruous effervescence and the amicable and non-puerile way you handle comments and suggestions. It is lucidly clear without need of circumnavigating the prognosis that you will surely burgeon to the apogees way more than you have ever imagined. You are one of the few selfless people who truely care about the success of others

All these big words for me?

I am honored.

4 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by akatovic1: 12:30pm On Oct 30, 2017
MasterforceII:

Woah. Nice scores bro, especially the speaking score. A speaking score of 26 is usually the cutoff for TAs from my research and it seems you're good to go. Please, how did you prepare for the speaking section though? Writing my TOEFL on the 3rd of Nov.
I used kaplan template(practiced with the CD), and timed myself while I spoke
also you can record urself to see how audible and coherent you are, or tell someone to assess your performance if you don't have a recording device
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:31pm On Oct 30, 2017
Geedhey:
Good evening Bosses. Plz I need some guidance on school I can apply to that accept unofficial transcript for admission processing & doesn't require external evaluation from WES & co. (Reason m looking at Fall 2018 & my school has been on strike like forever)
Elect/Elect (B. Tech) ( 3. 45/5. 0)
IELTS: (R:6.5, L:6.5, W:7.0, S:8.0 overall:7. 0)
GRE: preparing to write first week Dec.
Thanks

Most good US schools do not ask for official transcripts for the review/evaluation process. The same can be made about the WES. So do your own research about schools based on your anticipated profile.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:36pm On Oct 30, 2017
akatovic1:

I understand the need to re-write but like MasterforceII said your Q-score of 166 is the most important aspect of your profile after which is the V-score. The AWA sadly, is dead last and will only be used to eliminate one in a close call (which usually involves toppest schools).

Don't forget that time is important in the admission cycle. You are better of applying now with your score than say January with a 330 with AWA - 5.0. I know what I am saying.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Scholastica16: 12:41pm On Oct 30, 2017
akatovic1:

Order of importance;
Speaking
Listening
Reading
Writing.

Congrats. The writing is last because TOEFL requirements for top writing scores are kind of facile. The speaking and listening are what they want to be sure you can do because it is important for TAs. The reading is okay, but your VR of the GRE is more important to them.

Ask the grad coord for minimum AWA. Michigan State was 3.0. Some other programs are 3.5 and others 4.0.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Geedhey(m): 1:26pm On Oct 30, 2017
Scholastica16:

Most good US schools do not ask for official transcripts for the review/evaluation process. The same can be made about the WES. So do your own research about schools based on your anticipated profile.
Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 2:20pm On Oct 30, 2017
Georgia Tech minimum AWA is 3.5
Scholastica16:

Order of importance;
Speaking
Listening
Reading
Writing.

Congrats. The writing is last because TOEFL requirements for top writing scores are kind of facile. The speaking and listening are what they want to be sure you can do because it is important for TAs. The reading is okay, but your VR of the GRE is more important to them.

Ask the grad coord for minimum AWA. Michigan State was 3.0. Some other programs are 3.5 and others 4.0.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by MasterforceII: 3:50pm On Oct 30, 2017
Yildiz:
Georgia Tech minimum AWA is 3.5

Hi. Are you applying to Georgia Tech?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Baruwaaaaa(m): 4:06pm On Oct 30, 2017
Get high scores on GRE,TOEFL and IELTS no story...someone with vast experience will help you get it done. Contact for more info @GREAT TUTORS -07066518874
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 5:29pm On Oct 30, 2017
MasterforceII:

Hi. Are you applying to Georgia Tech?
I doubt
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 6:05pm On Oct 30, 2017
Yildiz:
I doubt
Hello bro. Do you have the offline Powerprep test? I got an error message after getting past the issue and argument task on the online Powerprep. I really do not know what the problem is. I have mailed them though, but I am yet to get a response.
If you have the offline Powerprep test don't hesitate to share with me. Thanks.
This post also goes out to all those who may be of help.

Thanks
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Yildiz: 6:55pm On Oct 30, 2017
TheGrandChemist:

Hello bro. Do you have the offline Powerprep test? I got an error message after getting past the issue and argument task on the online Powerprep. I really do not know what the problem is. I have mailed them though, but I am yet to get a response.

Thanks
I don't have the offline version. Similar thing happened to me with the online version but it worked the following day. Probably they are having technical challenges
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 7:24pm On Oct 30, 2017
Yildiz:
I don't have the offline version. Similar thing happened to me with the online version but it worked the following day. Probably they are having technical challenges
Alright thanks. I barely have 6 days to the exam hence, my urgent need for it.

Thanks for the heads up.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TooMuchSauce: 8:53pm On Oct 30, 2017
TheGrandChemist:

Thanks

I have the pp2 desktop app. Hit me up if you still need it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by TheGrandChemist(m): 9:23pm On Oct 30, 2017
TooMuchSauce:

I have the pp2 desktop app. Hit me up if you still need it.
Thanks bro. I just sent you a pm.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by pejpej: 1:21pm On Oct 31, 2017
frostsc:
First off, I wish to thank everyone who has posted and commented in one capacity or the other on this forum. Without you, this would not have been a reality. I stumbled on this forum by chance and at which time, I knew nothing about the GRE or study abroad. Of course I knew that people do study abroad, but I was not too cognitive of the process and all until I got here and was inspired by the various success stories.

Like my fore fathers here, I registered with B.Y Mafit and that was the singular wise choice I made cos everything revolves around them. I attended the free TOEFL and Free GRE classes. Got the Magoosh account, Kaplan Text, Official Guide and other materials given during lectures and group studies. Took the TOEFL classes for a month and the GRE classes for 6 weeks. Though free, they were very very vigorous. Wrote the TOEFL first. I'll share that experience another time since this is a GRE forum. I scored 110 though (There was a guy at Mafit who scored 115. Couldn't beat that target embarassed ). I did not read lots of textbooks. I just used the classes as my main study and did the additional practice recommended by our instructor (Enitan). Since that worked, I decided to use that principle for the GRE and it worked as well.

Wrote my GRE amidst lots of tension. The night before, I could not sleep. God punish tension cheesy . Had running stomach on the day of the exam and I started reciting all the psalms I could munster. grin grin grin . Was great though. The group discussions at Mafit helped, as we were fond of dealing with very difficult analytical questions. My advice is that while preparing, do not scratch the surface. Go really really deep. The more complex questions you tackle, the faster it would be to tackle the easier ones. Also, be true and sincere with yourself. For me, after I registered with BY Mafit, I didnt pick a date till I was well into the lectures and knew exactly what time I needed to be fully ready.

At the end, I scored 164 on the verbal and 162 on the quant. I know of a guy at Mafit (Dada) who scored 166 and 158 respectively. I already mailed my school and I was told I have the chances of getting full funding. I have sent other documents to them prior to this.

Once again, thank you all for helping nudge me in the right path. Now lets wait for the final decision on funding and start fasting so the VO will be nice grin grin . I sent this to Mafit to post but I guess they didn't so I had to sign up to post it myself. My advice for everyone would be to be focused and have a clear target and pursue it vigorously. Also, set aside everything to focus on this. It means a lot and it could change your life story.

Congratulations sir! Pls wat sch(s) did you apply to?

(1) (2) (3) ... (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) (306) (307) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.