Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,410 members, 7,853,808 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 03:04 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (55) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1366628 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Perotti: 4:33pm On Dec 30, 2015
Hello great peeps. Can a GRE score of 307(153Q, 154V), AW 4.0, GPA-4.02/5, Ielts-8.0, 1 year relevant experience get me funding for PhD (Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology) at the following schools:
Uni of Florida, Gainesville,
Uni of Texas at Dallas,
Uni of Colorado, Denver
Texas State Uni.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Chanteh(f): 5:10pm On Dec 30, 2015
Thanks
stolid:

DanjaNinja doesn't come here as often as he used to. Drop your facebook email address, and someone will.

Get yourself a copy of Barron and Manhattan for the quantitative, then the Magoosh Vocab software and GRE Bigbook for your verbal reasoning. If you've got extra cash to spare, you could also get a Magoosh GRE Account. Getting a 300+ would be a walk in the park if you can practise diligently using these materials.

All the best.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Chanteh(f): 5:11pm On Dec 30, 2015
Thanks Carter

CarterIV:
I like you... very direct grin
personally I'll suggest mangoosh premium + ets official guide & practice question sets as you will get all the logic you need there however depending on your schedule you can add more books cos in the end the more you practice the better ...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 30, 2015
Just occured to me that I have not gotten my TOEFL hard copy score report, did it Oct 16. Or they dont issue hard copy to candidates again just like GRE? Anyone in my shoes? cc @sirriddy @stolid @all
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 7:35pm On Dec 30, 2015
Ur application is gonna be glamorous... A tip for everyone... It's nt all about scores.. They always have preference for relevant experience particularly research... Atleast 2 professors I sent inquiry where quick to point fingers at my CV nt even my GPA and scores cos probably enough people have it buh cv if tweaked perfectly is the key
Perotti:
Hello great peeps. Can a GRE score of 307(153Q, 154V), AW 4.0, GPA-4.02/5, Ielts-8.0, 1 year relevant experience get me funding for PhD (Biology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology) at the following schools:
Uni of Florida, Gainesville,
Uni of Texas at Dallas,
Uni of Colorado, Denver
Texas State Uni.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:46pm On Dec 30, 2015
CarterIV:
Thanx boss... Mine was Rensselaer polytechnic Institute, Top 50 in research in USA, the average gre score dy even admit is about 325 buh then their geoscience is nt up there, buh since I can send my documents after admission I'll just Dance to their tune for now. And I will say a big tanx for this thread, well I wouldn't av taken the exam.. I was told to write it since last year buh was scared .... Tiri gbosa for you

Bros grab it with speed. Rensselaer polytechnic Institute is a great school.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:46pm On Dec 30, 2015
Cephas0009:

Thanks boss, dey av eventually completed the evaluation, took a lot of time though...

It's really been a while seeing u around here, how av u bn sir?

Broda i dey o. Living in the us is a different story. When you get here, you will understand.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:47pm On Dec 30, 2015
Larriekay:
bros pls help my ministry with d material sir. Larriekay2016@gmail.com. Thanks

Done.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:48pm On Dec 30, 2015
fizzile:
Hey guys,please I need your response. I have registered for the next GRE which is built for February. I want to know how long it takes for WES to evaluate results? I have a B.Sc but the CGPA isn't too good,but I just finished a PGD where I had 3.87/5.00. Please during evaluation,should I send both transcripts for evaluation? Secondly,do I apply for my current CGPA or I should apply when its been evaluated yet? Will appreciate your replies.

Evaluate both transcripts together and apply with the evaluated cgpa.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You can only transfer if you're already present in the US and you must have gotten admission already from the school you wish to transfer to plus the new I20 with the same start semester period as the one you're transferring from. The transfer process isn't difficult at all and is basically the release of your SEVIS records by the old school for the new school to pick up. It usually takes about 5 days. You can transfer immediately on arrival to the US without having to attend the first school at all but you must arrive early before the resumption date of both schools to do this, for once the first school has already started you might have to complete the first semester with them before being eligible to transfer out the following semester, which of course means deferring your admission from your second school to the following semester to be able to transfer the following semester or transfer after a semester or two depending on you.

Always on point as usual. Baba i hail o!

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2015
Abi ooo grin, I just hope the language test part won't hunt me, although they are vague on their English requirement... much reason for optimism
DanjaNinja:

Bros grab it with speed. Rensselaer polytechnic Institute is a great school.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:52pm On Dec 30, 2015
Chanteh:
Am really glad to find a thread like this on NL. I was opportuned to spend 3 months for a training course in the US and wrote my GRE there. I used 1 month to study plus busy moments during the training. I scored V145 Q143. I was dissapointed and cried all day. Now back to Nigeria and I intend to write again in febuary. Please DanjaNinja can you add me to the fb group? I wish to take insight from all you gurus so I can make more than 300 in my next exam.
Thanks to you all and happy holidays.

Case resolved.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:53pm On Dec 30, 2015
stolid:

DanjaNinja doesn't come here as often as he used to. Drop your facebook email address, and someone will.

Get yourself a copy of Barron and Manhattan for the quantitative, then the Magoosh Vocab software and GRE Bigbook for your verbal reasoning. If you've got extra cash to spare, you could also get a Magoosh GRE Account. Getting a 300+ would be a walk in the park if you can practise diligently using these materials.

All the best.

Lol. Not entirely true.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 7:56pm On Dec 30, 2015
masquellett:
Hello Stolid. Dman and all gurus in the house. Please I hope to write my gre by February. I want to know if Feb isn't to late to write the test. Cos am applying for fall 2016. Please advice.

For top class schools, it is too late. However for every other school, you might have a chance. It all depends on the schools in question though. I think you should Make a list of schools that suit your academic needs and find out their application deadlines.

I should post my school search guide already. Its been almost a year in the making. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2015
femi321:
Just occured to me that I have not gotten my TOEFL hard copy score report, did it Oct 16. Or they dont issue hard copy to candidates again just like GRE? Anyone in my shoes? cc @sirriddy @stolid @all

Toefl and Gre dont issue hard copies. You only get it when you pay for it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DanjaNinja(m): 8:01pm On Dec 30, 2015
Runge:
Took the GRE on 28/12/2015. Venue JKK

Scored. Verbal - 147, Quant. - 158.

Nice. Please share your experience.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Toefl and Gre dont issue hard copies. You only get it when you pay for it.
GRE doesnt but when I registered for TOEFL I had the option of clicking yes or no if I want hard copy and I clicked yes. A friend got his own, used a P.O.BOX though
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2015
femi321:

Bro, I don't think they send a hard copies except you request that they do during registration.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by spicyuzo(m): 9:21pm On Dec 30, 2015
Welldone everyone, i honestly commend the good job that is going on here...keep up the good work.

I intend to apply for Msc Business Information Technology in Canada. Most of the schools require that I write GMAT or GRE. Please I wish to inquire, which of these exams would you advice I sit for, with respect to availability of materials, chance of meeting my required target and other factors.

Please I need your candid advice on this issue.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 30, 2015
Hello to you all.

I thank the initiator of this thread. very helpful. However, I'm wondering why there's no similar thread for the GMAT Does the GMAT require the same preparation as the GRE?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:14pm On Dec 30, 2015
stolid:

Bro, I don't think they send a hard copies except you request that they do during registration.
I requested during reg
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:22pm On Dec 30, 2015
LoJ:
Hello to you all.

I thank the initiator of this thread. very helpful. However, I'm wondering why there's no similar thread for the GMAT Does the GMAT require the same preparation as the GRE?

yes it does. probably because the GRE is more popular. to be honest I dont even know where they do gmat in nigeria
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 30, 2015
femi321:
yes it does. probably because the GRE is more popular. to be honest I dont even know where they do gmat in nigeria
When I say same preparation, I mean the same books It can't be since there are some differences...
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 30, 2015
femi321:
I requested during reg
I did the IBToefl and got my Hard copy. But I indicated the address of my Sister in the states, so that it won't take much time. From there, my Sister sent it to me via DHL.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 30, 2015
femi321:
I requested during reg

In that case, check the nearest post office to your delivery address for it.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 11:03pm On Dec 30, 2015
LoJ:

I did the IBToefl and got my Hard copy. But I indicated the address of my Sister in the states, so that it won't take much time. From there, my Sister sent it to me via DHL.
oh no wonder. I used physical adress here in Nigeria. no p
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Perotti: 1:15pm On Dec 31, 2015
CarterIV:
Ur application is gonna be glamorous... A tip for everyone... It's nt all about scores.. They always have preference for relevant experience particularly research... Atleast 2 professors I sent inquiry where quick to point fingers at my CV nt even my GPA and scores cos probably enough people have it buh cv if tweaked perfectly is the key

Thanks Boss. Are u studying in the US on funding too? What course are you doing?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by CarterIV: 1:42pm On Dec 31, 2015
Co-applicant grin
Perotti:

Thanks Boss. Are u studying in the US on funding too? What course are you doing?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 3:49pm On Dec 31, 2015
DanjaNinja:

For top class schools, it is too late. However for every other school, you might have a chance. It all depends on the schools in question though. I think you should Make a list of schools that suit your academic needs and find out their application deadlines.

I should post my school search guide already. Its been almost a year in the making. embarassed embarassed embarassed

Tankx bro. Really appreciate you sir.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 3:51pm On Dec 31, 2015
stolid:

What I do is go to the departmental website, get an idea of ongoing research works at the department, try to understand what they are about and then tailor my research interest to whichever piques my interest. In my email, I try to explain how the Professor's research work would be beneficial to Nigeria, and indicate keen interest in being a part of his project. Attimes I also attach my undergraduate research work to the email.

thanx brova.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 31, 2015
DanjaNinja:

Nice. Please share your experience.
Bro, I will write my debrief when my AWA appear online. I must say that I also benefitted from this thread a lot.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by masquellett(m): 7:59pm On Dec 31, 2015
stolid:

Bro. No vex say my questions too much oo. Please can one use mastercard to register for the gre exam? Cos I read on the ets website that they allow only visa. Am confused. Ow can I go about the exam payment. Thanx.

(1) (2) (3) ... (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.