Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,003 members, 7,817,967 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE - Education (552) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE (1352480 Views)

10 Youngest People Ever To Achieve A Doctorate Degree / Learn The Gre Word List / Tips On How To Pass The GRE. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) ... (618) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Eniolakiite(f): 9:12am On May 06, 2020
Yes. You can do the entire thing by yourself. Don’t get scammed. Be dedicated and intentional.
I made useful videos sharing my experience getting to the US to study on my YouTube channel and also videos on how to scale each section of the process. Anyone can find it useful. Lifting others as I rise!

Epithet:
It's good, that the thread survived the onslaught by the scammers, looking to bilk folks of funds budgeted for exams.

Recent post(s) asking for school suggestion, just to summarize. You could start the simple search online. But to make reference to a few links. 1.Google "Msinus" and read the section of schools according to GRE scores.
2. Google "Gradcafe results" and then search in the Tab specifics to your course. Click on profiles to estimate what school is a fair selection. Gpa's are on the 4 point scale. Go onto "wes igpa free converter" to convert the GPA on a 4 point scale.
3. Check Twitter, advertised positions for graduate schools are on there.
4. Check USnews for school lists and then go to the school website(s) to see research interest and requirements.(A lot of questions about requirements, they are school specific so detail that individually for each school).

Plan your approach, the GRE, the TOEFL if required, WES if your schools require it.

Overall, not to call anyone out, and I understand how strenuous the process might seem, most questions I see on here and the USA visa thread have been answered over and again, even searching the Nairaland Education or Travel section could give relevant answers. Be delicate, in the process, take responsibility and be intentional, also having other people interested helps. That way you inform each other. Godspeed in your grad school pursuit folks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sammiel: 9:38am On May 06, 2020
Eniolakiite:
I understand your concerns. The truth is no one knows when this pandemic will go away. But my advice is do what you can this period. Don’t stop your plans. The pandemic is global and most countries are trying to keep its people safe. I always say better to be prepared and ready than caught unawares. Just focus on what you can do right now and what is within your control and leave the ones you cant control.
Here in the US, some schools have emailed students that fall semester will be on campus. So everyone is just being positive.

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. Can I dm you please?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Eniolakiite(f): 9:51am On May 06, 2020
You can

Sammiel:
Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. Can I dm you please?

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 3:38pm On May 06, 2020
With this pandemic affecting the US economy, is there hope in getting full funding and TA/RA position in US schools for those going for PhD (2021)

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Eniolakiite(f): 1:54pm On May 07, 2020
There is hope. The pandemic is global and many economies will be affected. International Students are still getting offers and scholarships. Don’t pause your plans. Do what you can do at the moment. Better to be prepared and ready. The virus might be something the world will just have to live with and life will continue.

BiggyB242:
With this pandemic affecting the US economy, is there hope in getting full funding and TA/RA position in US schools for those going for PhD (2021)

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chloroform: 2:53pm On May 07, 2020
Hello guys
I’m an aspirant hoping for fall 2021. I’m just about to get international passport, register for GRE and all. But with the recent happenings and schools waiving GRE and application fees for fall 2020. Is it advisable to start applying now and utilize this opportunity for this fall even though I don’t have necessary things like passport among other things? If so, will I still be able to get funding or any form of assistantships.

I’m hoping to go for MSc in Chemistry.
Thanks.

P.S: Someone should pls help me post this on the student visa thread, I can’t do that cos I was banned on the travel section.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 07, 2020
Eniolakiite:
There is hope. The pandemic is global and many economies will be affected. International Students are still getting offers and scholarships. Don’t pause your plans. Do what you can do at the moment. Better to be prepared and ready. The virus might be something the world will just have to live with and life will continue.

Okay, because there are 4 hurdles to jump -1. Getting Admission -2. Full Funding -3.TA/RA Position -4. Getting a visa.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Eniolakiite(f): 4:54pm On May 07, 2020
Having a passport is vital in this process. And you can apply now and utilize all the waivers and if you get the admission, you can defer for up to a year. This pandemic is global so the schools will understand if you cant come now. But most schools request for passport at any stage in your application, but no harm in trying.

chloroform:
Hello guys
I’m an aspirant hoping for fall 2021. I’m just about to get international passport, register for GRE and all. But with the recent happenings and schools waiving GRE and application fees for fall 2020. Is it advisable to start applying now and utilize this opportunity for this fall even though I don’t have necessary things like passport among other things? If so, will I still be able to get funding or any form of assistantships.

Thanks.

P.S: Someone should pls help me post this on the student visa thread, I can’t do that cos I was banned on the travel section.

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Eniolakiite(f): 4:54pm On May 07, 2020
Step by Step. One at a time.

BiggyB242:

Okay, because there are 4 hurdles to jump -1. Getting Admission -2. Full Funding -3.TA/RA Position -4. Getting a visa.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Thatjoyce: 10:17am On May 09, 2020
Sammiel:
Hmm... That affordabletest dude also registered me for toefl but I haven't heard anything from ets yet. Even I had given the test since January and I was registered sometime in December 2019. Need I be worry about having my ets account blocked?

I tried sending a DM but it's not working. Kindly send a DM. Please.

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Sammiel: 10:26am On May 09, 2020
Thatjoyce:

I tried sending a DM but it's not working. Kindly send a DM. Please.

Thanks.
Okay. But why bear a female name when you are a guy?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by khafetech: 10:57am On May 10, 2020
Please which schools are offering waiver so that I can also give it a try.

Thanks.

chloroform:
Hello guys

Thanks.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chloroform: 11:07am On May 10, 2020
khafetech:

Thanks.

I only applied to csu
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cuterboy(m): 12:54pm On May 10, 2020
Patrick2go:

Thank you sir.
I found this question on rule of divisibility particularly helpful and self explanatory: grin

http://9jababa.com/junior-mathematics-where-are-the-maths-gurus/
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Cuterboy(m): 1:14pm On May 10, 2020
Quoran:
GRE QUANT TIPS
1.In Quantitative Comparison questions, try numbers in this order: 0,1,2,-2,1/2. I learned this from NOVA GRE book. It works just fine.
2.Quantitative Comparison questions are half of a GRE Quant section (10 in number).
3.In Quantitative Comparison questions, before you select an answer, try at least two numbers.
4.Know the rules of divisibility. It will help.
5.Pay special attention to words like ‘the greatest possible’ in quantitative comparison questions. For instance, the greatest possible number of points common to a triangle and a circle is ____? It is more likely than many of us will pick three. Six points is also possible. Just remember that the triangle must not be inscribed in the circle. Six points will pass through the circumference.
6.Do not assume more than what is given especially in Quantitative Comparison questions.
7.Special triangles: 30-60-90 :1:√3:2;45-45-90:1:1:√2 ; The longer the side, the larger the angle opposite it and vice versa.
8.Supplementary angles 180, Complementary angles 90. Parallel lines have the same slope. Perpendicular lines – Negative reciprocal of the original line. (This appeared on my GRE). Know the equation of a line in different forms.
9.Learn all those Mensuration stuff.
10.Once a calculation is going on for too long, check your method again. There might be something wrong.
11.Be careful when multiplying or dividing by a negative number in inequality problems. Never do this in a Quantitative Comparison question.
12. PEMDAS – Parentheses-Exponents-Division-Mulitplication-Addition-Subtraction.
13.Integer 0 is neither positive nor negative.
14. 0 to 9 inclusive is 10 integers.
15. If a is even, b is odd, then a+2b is even, 2a+b is odd, ab is even etc. These kinds of questions are common.
16.P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) Mutually exclusive ; P(A or B) =P(A) + P(B) –P(A and B) Independent
17.Know Mean, mode and median and how numbers can affect them.
18.In word problems, use 100 for percentages. Do not use a number if the word problem has a fraction. I think Princeton Review covers this.
19.How many multiples of 7 are there between 100 and 150? 7 not 6. 147-105=42. 42/7 =6. 6+1 =7.
20.10 evenly spaced tick marks on a number line is 9 intervals not 10.
21.Any three consecutive integers will always contain a multiple of 3.
22. Rate x Time = Distance. Draw a table and solve all rate questions like this. Manhattan covers this well.
23. Pay attention to units, scales and values along the X and Y axes in graphs.
24. Average degree per side = (180(n-2))/n.
25.0 is a number.
26.How many square pieces can you get from a board of 18 by 30 inches without wasting any of the board? Answer: 15. Greatest divisor of 18 and 30 is 6. 18/6=3; 30/6=5; 3X5 =15. (Simple questions like this can waste your time).
27.Increase something by 250% is 3.5 times the number not 2.5 times the number.
28.Standard deviation questions are not usually difficult. Just know how it affects the mean.
29.Study the Official GRE test guide. You will not go wrong if you follow it strictly. Use other books (Magoosh, Manhattan, Princeton) for more tips , tricks and sample questions.
30.The key to scoring well on the GRE is to do well in the first section. The first section is usually easy (Assuming you prepared really well). This section is easy but tricky. If you practice well enough, you will observe that this is the section were you will finish with time to spare. On your sketch paper, I will advise that you solve your questions sequentially. Peradventure you need to go back to a question or review it, you can easily track your mistakes.
31. Pace well. Do not spend too much time on a particular question. I finished with some minutes to spare. I was able to review up to 10 questions and I can remember changing my mind on two answers I had previously selected. I did score 20/20 in that section.
32.Do not waste time on any question. This is very easy to say really. I made the same mistake in my second section. I wasted time on the first few questions as they were difficult. This affected my score. I noticed the easier questions were at the bottom.
33. The GRE is section adaptive. If you do well in the first section, you get a more difficult second section and vice-versa. This is aimed at making test takers get at least 150 marks. It follows a normal distribution. Those doing well are ‘dragged’ to 150. Those not scoring well are ‘helped’ to 150. (Additional probably unnecessary information lol).
34.From proven research, for you to get a more difficult second section, you need to score at least 14 in the Quant and 12 in the Verbal. The more difficult section carries more weight than a normal section. The more difficult questions you get correctly in the second section, you more points you have.
35.The scoring is not linear. I had 20 in the first section and 15 in the second section yet I had 166. In my Verbal, I had 14/20 in both sections yet I scored 161. Same thing I noticed with my friends and in my first attempt.
36.If you score 10/20 in the first Quant section and 16/20 in the next section, you will score 153. If you score 16/20 in the first section and 10/20 in the section, you will score 156. DO YOUR BEST IN THE FIRST SECTION. Verbal is more difficult than the Quant.
37.Peradventure you do not do well in the first section (You will know because the questions will be easy; It happened to me during my first attempt), you can still blast the second section. Just take it easy and do you best.
38.The on screen calculator can slow you down. Use it only if you really need it.
39.You can learn to back-solve questions. It helps when you are clueless on how to solve certain questions. I think Princeton covers this a lot.
40.I make mistakes more when I rush and do not take time to read the question well. Do not also try to solve questions mentally. Write it down to avoid errors.
41. Do a lot of practice tests. Under normal conditions, we will all score well. A timed practice test is the real deal. PowerPrep, Manhattan, Kaplan are good in this regard.
42. The GRE has a structure: For the Quant, you get 4 easy questions, 12 medium questions and 4 hard questions on your first section. Look at the Official GRE guide for more on question difficulty.
43.Some people are that good that some tips did not work for them. If you are like me that needed to retake the test, you have to pay attention to many things to avoid getting the same poor score.
44.By the way, there is nothing like a bad score. It all depends on what you want to use it for.
All the best folks. Pardon my errors.

Check out this particular example on this topic, i found it veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery helpful grin. It actually shows the rule fo "11"

http://9jababa.com/junior-mathematics-where-are-the-maths-gurus/
Check it out

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Nad95: 11:43pm On May 10, 2020
Hi, everyone. Good evening. I hope you're safe. Please is there any WhatsApp group for GRE preparations. If is there any, I'll like to join. Or can anyone share with me the most important study materials I need to use?

Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Prymestrr(m): 1:21am On May 11, 2020
chloroform:
Hello guys

Thanks.

please which schools in particular are waiving GRE please?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Prymestrr(m): 1:24am On May 11, 2020
chloroform:

I only applied to csu
there are some many schools with the csu acronym. which one in particular please?
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by HajiTooMuch: 6:46am On May 11, 2020
Please I need someone who is very sound in Stochastic Programming (farming problem). I have a coursework I've been battling with, I got a model but I want someone to help me check my model and tell me where I'm wrong.

Please refer someone to me if you know one.
I can pay if need be.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SOPWriter: 9:59am On May 11, 2020
ModestGal:
Hi people, how much is GRE, and how can I pass it? Who can guide me in securing admission in a Canadian University for my PhD degree. Thanks alot
The test fee is $256, and the registration can be performed via ETS official website. Moreover, acing the test depends on your dedication to practice and effective study: the materials shared here, the ones you could access through Google and bookshops could be good start.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by chloroform: 10:43am On May 11, 2020
Prymestrr:

there are some many schools with the csu acronym. which one in particular please?
Cleveland state

1 Like

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Lilly001(m): 5:55pm On May 11, 2020
Good day guys

Are people still writing GRE and TOEFL in Lagos and/or Ibadan? Even with the pandemic
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 9:40pm On May 11, 2020
Illinois Tech is one of them

khafetech:

Thanks.

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by SOPWriter: 10:51pm On May 11, 2020
Prymestrr:

That should be Cleveland State University.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Raily(f): 1:09pm On May 12, 2020
Good afternoon everyone...

Please I'm in need of advise and guidance.

I'm a graduate of botany and biotechnology with a CGPA of 4.43.
I intend applying for scholarships for my masters in the US of A but I have no idea how to go about it.

Which is acceptable, ielts or GRE, or TOEFL.... I thought GRE was the standard exam for scholarships in the US of A, but a friend was advising I write TOEFL another said its important I write both ielts and GRE.... I really need clarity... right now I'm a clean slate... I don't know the step to take... I really need help and guide... thank.s in advance
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 2:02pm On May 12, 2020
Raily:
Good afternoon everyone...

Please I'm in need of advise and guidance.

I'm a graduate of botany and biotechnology with a CGPA of 4.43.
I intend applying for scholarships for my masters in the US of A but I have no idea how to go about it.

Which is acceptable, ielts or GRE, or TOEFL.... I thought GRE was the standard exam for scholarships in the US of A, but a friend was advising I write TOEFL another said its important I write both ielts and GRE.... I really need clarity... right now I'm a clean slate... I don't know the step to take... I really need help and guide... thank.s in advance

Honestly, you should begin by doing a lot of research by yourself particularly if you’re serious about scholarships.

GRE will be mostly required but either IELTS or TOEFL may be required depending on the school. Many US schools waive IELTS/TOEFL for Nigerians so you could even save some bucks here.

Full disclosure: I’ve never had to submit a language test in the U.S. and I’ve attended 2 top-tier institutions there although I once did the IELTS which expired before I needed it.

If I were you, I’d focus on the GRE. It’s the major test. It lasts for 5 years, and it can carry you very far if you get it right the first time with a solid score. Beyond the conventional grad schools, top b-schools and Law Schools now accept the GRE in lieu of GMAT and LSAT respectively.

IELTS/TOEFL are just language tests which expire in 2 years. I’ve always considered language tests a joke to me as a Nigerian, so by principle I only applied to the schools that waived or didn’t have IELTS/TOEFL requirement for Nigerians, but to each their own. Still, someone who knows what they are doing can pass those tests with less than 2 weeks of prepping, but your will be remiss if you dare try that with GRE. IELTS/TOEFL may also be required if you’re a TA so you wanna do well if you decide to take either of those.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Raily(f): 2:21pm On May 12, 2020
DreManuel:

Honestly, you should begin by doing a lot of research by yourself particularly if you’re serious about scholarships.

GRE will be mostly required but either IELTS or TOEFL may be required depending on the school. Many US schools waive IELTS/TOEFL for Nigerians so you could even save some bucks here.

Full disclosure: I’ve never had to submit a language test in the U.S. and I’ve attended 2 top-tier institutions there although I once did the IELTS which expired before I needed it.

If I were you, I’d focus on the GRE. It’s the major test. It lasts for 5 years, and it can carry you very far if you get it right the first time with a solid score. Beyond the conventional grad schools, top b-schools and Law Schools now accept the GRE in lieu of GMAT and LSAT respectively.

IELTS/TOEFL are just language tests which expire in 2 years. I’ve always considered language tests a joke to me as a Nigerian, so by principle I only applied to the schools that waived or didn’t have IELTS/TOEFL requirement for Nigerians, but to each their own. Still, someone who knows what they are doing can pass those tests with less than 2 weeks of prepping, but your will be remiss if you dare try that with GRE. IELTS/TOEFL may also be required if you’re a TA so you wanna do well if you decide to take either of those.

Thank you very much.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by suleyoung(m): 4:27pm On May 12, 2020
hello my people
I am a graduate of Accounting with first class honour

I wish to ask my people in this great forum who had pass through this route in gaining admission to graduate school
what GRE and TOEFL score should I be aiming for?
my target is to seek direct PhD admission
thanks for you warmth response.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Eniolakiite(f): 9:12pm On May 12, 2020
Very true. TOEFL is sometimes used to determine if a candidate will be a good TA especially when there are many competitive applicants and you must do well especially in the listening and speaking aspect. And I always recommend dedicating more time to prep for the GRE.

I recently made a video sharing points on how to ace those tests from my experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA78KYBg5b8

All the best everyone

DreManuel:

2 Likes

Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by Oladayo12(m): 1:15pm On May 14, 2020
Good day to you all, please someone sent a stuff to me like a picture about a scholarship @western university USA. Basically for candidate with a Bachelors Degree in Geography & Planning and Computer Sciences. The scholarship is meant to tackle the present global pandemic for real time mapping, detecting and monitoring spread of epidemics. To appy a cv and letter of interest are to be forwarded to the school email. i'm informing you guys if any one of you have come across with it or may be interested. NB: Please my fellow nairalanders i needed you guys to help me out with a good letter of interest and cv inorder for me to apply for the scholarship. I much look forward for a positive response, Thanks.
Re: How To Achieve High Scores On The GRE by DreManuel(m): 4:27pm On May 14, 2020
suleyoung:
hello my people
I am a graduate of Accounting with first class honour

I wish to ask my people in this great forum who had pass through this route in gaining admission to graduate school
what GRE and TOEFL score should I be aiming for?
my target is to seek direct PhD admission
thanks for you warmth response.

Aim for 340 in GRE. If you don't reach your goal you may fall to 330, and that may be alright for your goal.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) (554) (555) ... (618) (Reply)

The medical students and aspirants thread / Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.