Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,528 members, 7,826,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

Should Age Be A Factor In Employments Sector? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should Age Be A Factor In Employments Sector? (834 Views)

HOT And Mass Employments / TENTATIVE INTERVIEW UPDATES With Employments Pathway-ep / #GetEmployedNG...Employments Pathway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Age Be A Factor In Employments Sector? by Imoobot(m): 12:30pm On Jul 29, 2014
In most establishments today especially the banking sector, the issue of age discrimination is a major restraints/limitations to so many unemployed graduates.
A typical example is a graduate who finished school many years ago and are yet to secure a job.

My question is, do you think age should actually be a factor in considering who to employ?

My opinion: To me age is just a number, it's can't characterized individuals personality because the original person is embedded inside hence, age shouldn't be a factor for employment

Lets hear your view.
Re: Should Age Be A Factor In Employments Sector? by MaziOmenuko: 1:20pm On Jul 29, 2014
I observe that age is always a factor when it comes to positions of Graduate Trainee. Most companies expect a fresh graduate to be of a certain age limit.
But when it comes to specialized areas that require skills, age is not always a primary factor.
Eg, when a company needs an accountant who is ICAN certified, a well engineer with experience, a welder (pipeline welding), etc. What is normally needed is years of experience and not necessarily age.
Re: Should Age Be A Factor In Employments Sector? by Imoobot(m): 4:56pm On Jul 29, 2014
MaziOmenuko: I observe that age is always a factor when it comes to positions of Graduate Trainee. Most companies expect a fresh graduate to be of a certain age limit.
But when it comes to specialized areas that require skills, age is not always a primary factor.
Eg, when a company needs an accountant who is ICAN certified, a well engineer with experience, a welder (pipeline welding), etc. What is normally needed is years of experience and not necessarily age.

You have a point though I will not agree with you 100%. What do you think about those establishments that stream lined age limits say 24, with a particular qualification. And what happen to those with similar qualification but falls outside the age bracket?
Re: Should Age Be A Factor In Employments Sector? by lekhane(m): 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2014
Age is just a number, isn't it the skills that is needed? My opinion is if the company asking for a particular age limit can state the particular reason she feels its necessary applicants be of such age limit, then it will be fair. Most of these companies' are selfish and they are only trying to cut cost. Its only in Nigeria these things will happen and no one will complain. God help us!
Re: Should Age Be A Factor In Employments Sector? by MaziOmenuko: 9:33pm On Jul 29, 2014
Imoobot:

You have a point though I will not agree with you 100%. What do you think about those establishments that stream lined age limits say 24, with a particular qualification. And what happen to those with similar qualification but falls outside the age bracket?

I guess HR's are in better positions to answer that. But in my own opinion, they do this in their quest to disqualified some peeps and pick out the 'best'. It is generally believed that if Mr A of 23yrs has a Bsc in microbiology and Mr B is 26 with the same degree, then Mr A was smarter during school days to have had a degree in time. It doesn't really turn out to be ideal in all cases but that's the general believe.

Also, at 24, employees believe you're still trainable and can be open to new ideas, smart, full of life and will give longer years of service.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Latest Ond/hnd/bsc Job Vacancies In Nigeria Today... / The Only Way To Solve GNLD / WELLNESS Disturbance / Please Someone Around Owerri Should Help Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.