Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Bendel Insurance Fc Should Be Privatized! - My Opinion - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Bendel Insurance Fc Should Be Privatized! - My Opinion (457 Views)

The Super Eagles Captain Mess- My Opinion. / Manchester United Vs Chelsea Fc 1 - 1 Final score / Info Needed For Buruj Fc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bendel Insurance Fc Should Be Privatized! - My Opinion by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
Bendel Insurance Football Club, also known as Insurance of Benin Football Club, is a soccer club based in Benin City, Nigeria. They were originally known as the Vipers of Benin. Their venue, Samuel Ogbemudia Stadium, has a capacity of some 20,000.

The club was one of the founders of the Nigerian Premier League in 1972. The team had its first month of the 2007-08 season delayed because of a management dispute over who controlled the team. The crisis led to at one time two difference clubs claiming the name Insurance. They were relegated at the end of the 2007-08 season after finishing in last place, the first relegation from the top level in team history.
In August, 2008, the ownership crisis was settled and the Edo State government took control. Thus the name officially reverted to Bendel Insurance Football Club. However the financial problems continued throughout the season. In February 2009 Insurance was banned from using their stadium temporarily because it was not up to league standards. In March, they were one of eight teams threatened with having their participation suspended due to a backlog of debts and fines. Finally, they were exiled to Ilorin for their final home game of the season after crowd trouble in a 1-1 tie against Shooting Stars FC that put an end to their promotion chances.

On the Topic:

Bendel Insurance Fc which of course is currently under the management of Edo State government, is now bankrupt (so to say). Players and staff have hit medias and newsmen countless number of times; narrating their ordeals and how they've have struggled to cater for their family (many of them are married - with children) as a result of their allowances and salaries not been paid for months now - including not caring about players welfare in pre & post - match days conditions...

Recently the club had an away match. Unfortunately, they travelled on Match day by 9 am, got there by 3pm and the matched kicked off by 4pm (I didn't expect them to win; i heard they went 3-0 down first half - unconfirmed) - This of course won't happen to other clubs in the NPL or even those in second tier. It is rather obvious that the State government don't even care about the club - though it renovated the stadium but can't maintain it; as bottles, sachets and waste in general is seen on the pitch (even on training day - probably no paid employee to do the sanitary).

Therefore, my recommendation is for the Club to be privatize! Since it seems the government think they are wasting resources on the club, then allow capable sport lovers take over. Surely, there are wealthy sports-loving business men who would risk it all for the club.

Dear NL'ders, what do you think?

(1) (Reply)

COMMONWEALTH GAMES: Nigerian Weightlifter Chika Amalaha Fails Doping Test / Villarreal 0 Vs 1 Barcelona - (full Time) / Germany Vs. Argentina:final Score 2-4, Di Mariasteals Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.