Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,709 members, 7,816,912 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

John Obi Mikel Join Chelsea Squad After WC Break - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Obi Mikel Join Chelsea Squad After WC Break (791 Views)

Nigeria Vs Germany (0 - 1): FIFA U-20 Women WC Final On 8th August 2014 / Nigeria Vs Korea DPR (6 - 2) FIFA U-20 Women's WC Semi Final On Wed 20th August / Kevin-Prince Boateng Revealed What Really Transpired In Ghanian Camp At WC. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Obi Mikel Join Chelsea Squad After WC Break by OtunbaJega: 1:11am On Jul 31, 2014
On Monday John Mikel Obi and Drogba joined up with the group, supplemented earlier today by Courtois and fellow Belgian Eden Hazard. Mourinho says he hopes our goalkeeper will play 45 minutes of our game against Werder Bremen on Sunday.

Then at the beginning of next week the Brazilian trio of Oscar, Ramires and Willian, as well as World Cup winner Andre Schurrle, will complete the return of the first team squad members that competed in Brazil for their nation this summer.

The manager discussed how he has coped with this situation and singled out one positive in particular that has made this period a little easier.

‘It’s a strange pre-season but we are doing what we can do: improving the condition of the players, working on some tactical aspects and waiting for the other people to make the final work before the start of the season.

‘It was good for us that the new players were in that group that joined us in the early part of pre-season. Because Spain were knocked out in group phase we could get Fabregas and Costa back then.

‘For them it was important and for us it was important. They will be two important players for us in two crucial positions – centre midfield and striker.

‘As we were expecting they have adapted to the team so easily, and the team is adapting to them. The players that are not with the team now – Willian, Oscar, Schurrle, Hazard – are in the same position and will be in contact with Fabregas and Diego on the pitch.

‘The feeling from me, and from the players, is that we are going to be really strong.’

Our opponents Vitesse included in their team two players, Bertrand Traore and Wallace, on loan from Stamford Bridge. Mourinho said he was pleased with what Vitesse could offer some of our young players in a league where everybody tries to play ‘offensive, passing football’.

The manager also spoke on the departure of Romelu Lukaku, whose transfer to Everton was confirmed shortly after the final whistle.

‘First of all, Romelu was always very clear in his mentality. He wanted to play for Chelsea but he wanted to be clearly the first-choice striker which, in a club of our dimension, is very difficult to promise to a player.

‘After that Everton came in with an important offer. As I always say, because it’s the reality, our club wants to do things really well. We want to always be inside of the rules. Financial Fair Play is something that is always in the thoughts of Chelsea’s board.

‘When you have the chance to make some movements that create a positive impact in Financial Fair play, Chelsea always analyse this situation. This season, in this transfer window, the situation of David Luiz and Romelu leave Chelsea in a great position even knowing that we also bought a few players.

‘The important thing is that he is happy and things work well for him. He is a good kid. He has a way of organising his career project. The only thing we can do is to wish him well because we had him here last season and he’s a good kid. He deserves luck, he deserves to be happy. Chelsea Football Club wishes him well.’

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/07/mourinho--feeling-strong.html
Re: John Obi Mikel Join Chelsea Squad After WC Break by OtunbaJega: 1:13am On Jul 31, 2014
I am saddened by the bring him down attitude of Nigerians. I have been following the unhealthy criticism of Mikel on social media by his own country men. I strongly believe this is totally wrong and should stop.

For crying out loud, he is not the only player that had a bad WC outing.

Well, Mikel joins the rest of the Chelsea squad after a period of rest following the FIFA World Cup. In the you tube video below, Mikel is Spotted beside Drogba during a pre-season game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEG0J9P4cV4

Haters, G/D

Front page
Re: John Obi Mikel Join Chelsea Squad After WC Break by Dreal1247: 4:19am On Jul 31, 2014
I find it difficult to believe that it is this same Mikel who helped us to lift CAF trophy that they are criticising this way. IT IS VERY VERY BAD OF NIGERIANS. Even if the young man is down, is it out of place to encourage him to recovery. I wont be surprised if they still post that snail which i know is not for Mikel, luv for he that designed it on this post. I PRAY THAT HE GETS BACK TO HIS FEET AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. For everyone, there are times when one is down. Unfortunately, this is the time you know your true friends. Has Nigeria ever gotten to quarter finals in the world cup before? Yet we are not appreciative. Some better teams lost it av the group stage, some of their countries encouraged them.

1 Like

Re: John Obi Mikel Join Chelsea Squad After WC Break by OtunbaJega: 7:32am On Jul 31, 2014
Front page please
Re: John Obi Mikel Join Chelsea Squad After WC Break by Eseose9(f): 8:29am On Jul 31, 2014
mod no go see this one put for front page o

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

FIFA U-20WWC Final Nigeria Vs Germany Mon Aug 25 12am / What Liverpool Fans Should Expect From Their New Signing - Balotelli / Ghana Vs Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.