Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,887 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:08 AM

What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa (7980 Views)

Boerboel Dogs Available For Sale / Guide On How I Can Import Dogs From Germany / Boerboel Dogs For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 12:48pm On Jul 31, 2014
Hello everyone,

I recently started dog breeding business and need to buy 2 adult boerboel dogs, a male and female. Please, experts in the house what do I need to know and do, before I travel to South Africa and buy the dogs.

1. Do I need to get a pet import permit here in Nigeria, if yes, where?
2. How much do airlines usually charge for transporting dogs from South Africa to Nigeria?
3. Am I required to pay South African immigration any fee for importing the dogs?
4. What fees am I supposed to pay our dear Nigerian immigration, so they don't bleed me dry?

I will be very grateful if anyone with experience on importing dogs from South Africa can teach me what I need to know and prepare myself with, before I embark on my journey.

Thank you for your time.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by hunthsmankennel: 1:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
you can buy male and female pedigree boerboel in nigeria
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by hunthsmankennel: 1:27pm On Jul 31, 2014
i can link u up with the owner if you dont want to buy his as he can guide u on how to bring urs in
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2014
hunthsmankennel: you can buy male and female pedigree boerboel in nigeria

hunthsmankennel: i can link u up with the owner if you dont want to buy his as he can guide u on how to bring urs in

I will appreciate you linking me up with him, so he can guide me on how to get mine. I don't think he would want to sell any of his adult Boerboels, especially if he is a breeder. But if he is willing to sell, then that means the dog is either not so healthy or too old. Besides, I need an adult dog that is yet to have any litters, from a strong bloodline, a year and 2-4 months old or thereabout.

I have met several breeders, with great stud who will never sell because these dogs give them great return on investment. And if by chance they are willing to sell, then they will be selling five times the price they bought it. That is why I have decided it is best I go get mine direct from the source, so I can make my return on investment as soon as possible.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by arcbay(m): 4:09pm On Jul 31, 2014
eros:

I will appreciate you linking me up with him, so he can guide me on how to get mine. I don't think he would want to sell any of his adult Boerboels, especially if he is a breeder. But if he is willing to sell, then that means the dog is either not so healthy or too old. Besides, I need an adult dog that is yet to have any litters, from a strong bloodline, a year and 2-4 months old or thereabout.

I have met several breeders, with great stud who will never sell because these dogs give them great return on investment. And if by chance they are willing to sell, then they will be selling five times the price they bought it. That is why I have decided it is best I go get mine direct from the source, so I can make my return on investment as soon as possible.

if you wanna import, you don't necessarily have to travel to SA before you import, Just considering the operational and overhead cost...There are a lot of reputable South African breeders, check out their directory on the net...when your deal is sealed, there are a lot of pet handlers in Nigeria who can bring the dogs in for you...
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 31, 2014
I do clear dogs and other pet for my client and this is how it goes your suppliers will take the dog to SA cargo sections and secure all the necessary documents and he/she must ship under priority cargo,we have quarantine for breeds and livestocks here at airport.
As soon as the shipment take place in SA all the info will be sent to me so I will start the process and as soon as the dog land we get it clear just only if you can avoid the payment meanwhile the payment is on delivery.
You can reach me on 08173319366 or mrcdorv@gmail.com
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 9:56pm On Jul 31, 2014
arcbay:
if you wanna import, you don't necessarily have to travel to SA before you import, Just considering the operational and overhead cost...There are a lot of reputable South African breeders, check out their directory on the net...when your deal is sealed, there are a lot of pet handlers in Nigeria who can bring the dogs in for you...

Thanks so much for your advise. I have also considered buying from a reputable breeder, but the problem is finding one. Thats why I came on here to seek breeders who are already buying direct from SA to guide and instruct me on who to buy from.

Unfortunately, alot of Nigerians have this mentality of hiding their source of buying goods. They would rather resell to you at a higher price, than reveal the source and in business the best way to maximize profit is buying directly from the manufacturer, so one can determine the price they want to sell their product, thereby giving room for healthy competition and not having certain people monopolise the market.

I will be very grateful, if you can introduce me to reputable breeders in SA I can buy from. I am even scared of traveling due to the recent ebola virus scare in Nigeria. I don't even want to go close to the airport at all.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 10:01pm On Jul 31, 2014
Mrcdorv: I do clear dogs and other pet for my client and this is how it goes your suppliers will take the dog to SA cargo sections and secure all the necessary documents and he/she must ship under priority cargo,we have quarantine for breeds and livestocks here at airport.
As soon as the shipment take place in SA all the info will be sent to me so I will start the process and as soon as the dog land we get it clear just only if you can avoid the payment meanwhile the payment is on delivery.
You can reach me on 08173319366 or mrcdorv@gmail.com

Thank you for taking time to explain this very vital process in clearing the dogs from the airport.

Please can you state how much it costs to clear a dog?

What is the determinant of the price?

Is the price fixed or it is by weight?

Would I be paying to a company or an individual?

Pardon my numerous questions. I am a newbie, so I need all the details spelt out like ABC, so I can calculate my total cost and know how much I will be investing.

Thanks for understanding.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by oluomoadebayo: 3:48am On Aug 01, 2014
eros:

Thanks so much for your advise. I have also considered buying from a reputable breeder, but the problem is finding one. Thats why I came on here to seek breeders who are already buying direct from SA to guide and instruct me on who to buy from.

Unfortunately, alot of Nigerians have this mentality of hiding their source of buying goods. They would rather resell to you at a higher price, than reveal the source and in business the best way to maximize profit is buying directly from the manufacturer, so one can determine the price they want to sell their product, thereby giving room for healthy competition and not having certain people monopolise the market.

I will be very grateful, if you can introduce me to reputable breeders in SA I can buy from. I am even scared of traveling due to the recent ebola virus scare in Nigeria. I don't even want to go close to the airport at all.

Just be careful because there are a lot of scammer in SA and poor dogs as well . Clearing fee is not fixed and it depends on the docs you have. A dog with permit would clear less.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 01, 2014
eros:

Thank you for taking time to explain this very vital process in clearing the dogs from the airport.

Please can you state how much it costs to clear a dog?

What is the determinant of the price?

Is the price fixed or it is by weight?

Would I be paying to a company or an individual?

Pardon my numerous questions. I am a newbie, so I need all the details spelt out like ABC, so I can calculate my total cost and know how much I will be investing.

Thanks for understanding.
drop me an e-mail for further explaination.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 9:33pm On Aug 02, 2014
Mrcdorv: drop me an e-mail for further explaination.

emee30384@yahoo.com
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by whitebrown(f): 7:46pm On Aug 05, 2014
Advise to you, if you can, DO NOT buy adult dogs, trust me, you will be glad you didn't. Their is no short cut in breeding and nothing like quick returns, I have been in breeding since 2001, and seen it all. There are no bargains especially of dogs that age and what you get is what you pay for. Even if you were to get a good deal, it wouldn't be from the big breeders you looking at, you will need a desperate one probably in financial trouble. Remember once the dog is sent, you can't revert with any complains and again pictures are never always a true reflection of the dog. Even if you find a good puppy, it's always advisable to get someone to go check it out and give you a true 'picture' of the pupp. Summarily be very very careful, buying adult dogs is a very delicate issue and you either need to really know the breeder personally or rather play safe and consider getting a good puppy from a litter. My 2 cent advise, goodluck. Regarding breeders, you can check them up on facebook or better still, go on boerboel enthusiast, lastly there is nothing like a breeder who has the best dogs, litters vary in quality and you should be more concerned about the lineage, because having a good looking male and a good looking female does not guarantee good puppies, you need to know the bloodlines and which compliments which and which ones clash. Atimes breeders will be selling a perfectly healthy male and female adolescent dog, but trust me, most times, only they know exactly why they are selling them and it could even be that they trying to get rid of some blood in their breeding stock.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 10:33pm On Aug 09, 2014
whitebrown: Advise to you, if you can, DO NOT buy adult dogs, trust me, you will be glad you didn't. Their is no short cut in breeding and nothing like quick returns, I have been in breeding since 2001, and seen it all. There are no bargains especially of dogs that age and what you get is what you pay for. Even if you were to get a good deal, it wouldn't be from the big breeders you looking at, you will need a desperate one probably in financial trouble. Remember once the dog is sent, you can't revert with any complains and again pictures are never always a true reflection of the dog. Even if you find a good puppy, it's always advisable to get someone to go check it out and give you a true 'picture' of the pupp. Summarily be very very careful, buying adult dogs is a very delicate issue and you either need to really know the breeder personally or rather play safe and consider getting a good puppy from a litter. My 2 cent advise, goodluck. Regarding breeders, you can check them up on facebook or better still, go on boerboel enthusiast, lastly there is nothing like a breeder who has the best dogs, litters vary in quality and you should be more concerned about the lineage, because having a good looking male and a good looking female does not guarantee good puppies, you need to know the bloodlines and which compliments which and which ones clash. Atimes breeders will be selling a perfectly healthy male and female adolescent dog, but trust me, most times, only they know exactly why they are selling them and it could even be that they trying to get rid of some blood in their breeding stock.

Thanks for your advise. Fortunately for me, I got a wonderful adult male and female.
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 10:39pm On Aug 09, 2014
Say hello to Zader Drifter from South Africa from the Drifteoin bloodline and Zizar.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by hunthsmankennel: 1:12pm On Aug 11, 2014
Is that dog pregnant, or did it whelp recently?

have you paid for the dog

The black mask that people look for is not present.

Nice dog anyway.

I think you c an assist us by sharing ur experiences in purchasing the dog.

People may want to learn from your expereience
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by eros(m): 3:19pm On Aug 18, 2014
hunthsmankennel: Is that dog pregnant, or did it whelp recently?
have you paid for the dog
The black mask that people look for is not present.
Nice dog anyway.
I think you c an assist us by sharing ur experiences in purchasing the dog.
People may want to learn from your expereience

The female is not pregnant neither did she whelp recently. However, I have recently noticed that the dog is not so healthy. The previous owner lied about her health status and does not even have any record.

The male looks exactly like the dam. He is a pure South African pedigree Boerboel with his birth certificate.

By the way, I bought both dogs here in Nigeria. I chose not to travel to South Africa due to the fear of Ebola. Although, it would have been the best decision because I have come to learn from experience that a lot of Nigerian dog breeders are liars. They sell bad dogs, mostly mongrels, lie about their age, health status and every important details about the dog, just so they can sell it and make profit.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to buy directly from the source and have certified pedigree Boerboel's. So I can confidently sell my puppies and my customers will be certain of what they are buying and how their puppies will look like when they become adult.

Attached are pictures of the male Boerboel Sire and Dam.

Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
South Africa is Ebola free,thanx 4 not coming...you would had brought it

eros:

The female is not pregnant neither did she whelp recently. However, I have recently noticed that the dog is not so healthy. The previous owner lied about her health status and does not even have any record.

The male looks exactly like the dam. He is a pure South African pedigree Boerboel with his birth certificate.

By the way, I bought both dogs here in Nigeria. I chose not to travel to South Africa due to the fear of Ebola. Although, it would have been the best decision because I have come to learn from experience that a lot of Nigerian dog breeders are liars. They sell bad dogs, mostly mongrels, lie about their age, health status and every important details about the dog, just so they can sell it and make profit.

This is one of the reasons I wanted to buy directly from the source and have certified pedigree Boerboel's. So I can confidently sell my puppies and my customers will be certain of what they are buying and how their puppies will look like when they become adult.

Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by hunthsmankennel: 4:48pm On Aug 18, 2014
eros:

looking at the dog, id tend to dis agree with you.

the breasts look full.

then again i may be wrong.

OGA what do you mean the dam has health issues.

Be careful o

1 Like

Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by Nobody: 1:01pm On Apr 28, 2016
eros:

how much did you buy them in Nigerian currency and how much wa the whole processing?
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by Awotimi(m): 8:28pm On Apr 28, 2016
eros:

I think huntsman is very correct. Lemme stop here...
Re: What I Need To Know Before Importing Boerboel Dogs From South Africa by Zdoh(m): 6:58pm On May 24, 2016
So sorry Mr.Seun and that i have to do this i just have to move on changing all my contact,this is because i want to change company name and other info for the upgrade.I do clear dogs and other pet for my client and this is how it goes your suppliers will take the dog to SA cargo sections and secure all the necessary documents and he/she must ship under priority cargo,we have quarantine for breeds and livestocks here at airport.
You can reach me on +2348088759163

(1) (Reply)

20 Essential Facts Dog Lovers Must Always Remember (must Read) / Pure German Shepherd Puppies For Sale!(SOLD!!!!) / GIVING YOUR DOG A NATURAL TICK BATH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.