Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets (13438 Views)

Lagos Assembly Orders Relocation Of Mile 12 And Owode Markets / Prices Of Food Items Soar In Lagos Markets / Africa’s Richest (from Nigeria) Land In Nairobi. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by atlwireles: 4:17pm On Aug 01, 2014
After a series of bombings hit Nigeria’s capital this year, several investors set to join Ridle Markus on a trip to Abuja postponed because of security concerns.

While not all of them made the journey with the Johannesburg-based Barclays Africa Group strategist in June, Markus said some of their money found its way into the bond market of the continent’s largest economy. Confidence in World Bank predictions that sub-Saharan Africa will post the world’s fastest growth outside of Asia for the next three years helped Nigerian naira debt return 13 percent in 2014, the best of 16 emerging markets tracked by Bloomberg after Turkey.

“Despite the violence in Nigeria, the opportunity can’t be ignored,” Markus said by phone from Johannesburg on July 29. “That is the ultimate view of many of our investors.”

Investors are looking past intensified attacks by Islamic militant groups Boko Haram in Nigeria and al-Shabaab in Kenya, as unprecedented stimulus from central banks including the Bank of Japan, the Federal Reserve and the European Central Bank spurs demand for riskier debt to boost returns. African nations from Zambia to Ivory Coast have raised $4.75 billion of dollar debt this year, with another $1.5 billion planned by Ghana, after record issuance in 2013 of $6.25 billion.

Money is also flowing into stocks. The MSCI EFM Africa Index rallied 11 percent this year, outperforming the 7.5 percent gain of the MSCI EM Index. Equity portfolio inflows into the region are set to rise to $14.8 billion in 2015 from an estimated $13.7 billion this year, according to the World Bank.

Obama Push

The World Bank projects African growth of 4.7 percent this year, spurring President Barack Obama to step up efforts to forge closer ties when he hosts more than 40 of the continent’s leaders at a summit in Washington next week. The U.S. is also looking beyond securing deals and access to a consumer market of 1.1 billion people to counter security threats.

Boko Haram, whose name means “western education is a sin” in the local Hausa language, has been fighting security forces in Nigeria for the past five years, bidding to impose Islamic law in Africa’s top oil producer and killing more than 2,000 people in the first half of 2014, according to New York-based Human Rights Watch.

The al-Qaeda-linked al-Shabaab militant group is attacking Kenya in retaliation for the deploying of its troops in Somalia, where the militia is trying to overthrow the government. The assaults cut arrivals by Kenya holidaymakers 18 percent last year and emptied hotels in the port city of Mombasa.

Metal Detectors

“I see that a lot where investors are saying ‘ok maybe I won’t visit you this year, but I’ll come and visit you next year,’” Larry Seruma, chief investment officer at Princeton, New Jersey-based Nile Capital Management LLC, said by phone. “A lot of people who are committing money to these countries are really taking a much longer-term view.”

Many investors shrug off the violence. Christian Mejrup, who helps manage $2.2 billion, including African debt, at Kolding, Denmark-based Global Evolution AS, wasn’t deterred from visiting Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, last week.

“All public buildings and hotels seems to be well guarded and you always have to pass through metal detectors and get your belongings scanned before entering such buildings,” Mejrup said by e-mail. “Continued deterioration of the security level will pose a risk for the investment climate in Africa, but we have not yet seen any indication of such.”

Budget Woes

Violence is not the only risk investors need to look past. Governments in Ghana and Zambia are struggling to finance their budgets less than a decade after having most of their debt written off. Both countries had their credit ratings downgraded in the past year, while Ghana’s cedi dropped 35 percent against the dollar in 2014, more than any other currency, pushing inflation to 15 percent in June.

In Kenya, attacks along the coast are threatening tourism, a major driver of growth, Gerard Kambou, a senior economist at the World Bank, said by phone from Washington on July 24. Tourism generated more than $1 billion in earnings last year, the most after tea exports. Elections in Nigeria and Ivory Coast next year may create policy uncertainty and slow inflows amid the risk of increased U.S. interest rates, he said.

“Bad news creates opportunities,” Andrew Lapping, who oversees Cape Town-based Allan Gray Ltd.’s two Africa-focused equity funds, said in July 30 note on the company’s website. “I far prefer to invest in companies where things are dire and the dire scenario is expected to persist. This way, time and valuation are on your side. With time, very bad economic situations usually improve.”

Zimbabwe Crunch

Allan Gray’s Africa ex-SA Equity Fund is 20 percent invested in Zimbabwe, the continent’s worst-performing stock market this year with losses of 8 percent. It holds Delta Corp., the SABMiller Plc associate that brews Chibuku sorghum beer, and Econet Wireless Zimbabwe Ltd., the nation’s biggest mobile-phone company. Zimbabweans aren’t spending, deflation has taken hold and factories are being shut less than a year after President Robert Mugabe, 90, extended his 33 years of rule by winning a disputed election.

Governments are taking advantage of bond yields near record lows to lock in favorable borrowing rates as central bank stimulus bolsters demand for emerging-market assets. Ivory Coast returned to international markets this month, selling $750 million of 10-year bonds, less than four years after defaulting on $2.3 billion of bonds during civil unrest that killed more than 3,000 people. It received bids of about $4.75 billion.

‘Huge Appetite’

“There’s a huge appetite for African paper,” Central Bank of Nigeria Deputy Governor Kingsley Moghalu said in a Bloomberg TV Africa interview in London on July 24. “Foreign portfolio inflows into Africa will probably continue to rise, but that depends on monetary policy.”

Kenya in June sold $500 million of five-year securities and $1.5 billion of 10-year bonds. Yields on the securities due June 2024 have dropped 96 basis points, or 0.96 percentage point, since being issued to a record 5.92 percent yesterday. Yields on Nigerian notes maturing July 2023 declined 82 basis points this year to 5.1 percent, its lowest.

Nigeria has the potential to be one of the world’s top 20 economies by 2030 with a consumer base exceeding the current populations of France and Germany, New York-based McKinsey & Co. said in a report last week. The naira strengthened 0.7 percent this month, after six straight weekly gains.

“Many investors still believe that the risk of being in Nigeria by far outweighs the costs of being there,” Markus of Barclays Plc’s Absa Capital unit said. “It has price stability, currency stability, the economy is still on a good run, the fiscal deficit is insignificant and the current account is in surplus.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-30/bombs-from-abuja-to-nairobi-fail-to-slow-africa-s-markets-rally.html

3 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by aumeehn: 4:21pm On Aug 01, 2014
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by atlwireles: 4:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
These are the kind of news APC and their supporters hate to read. Billions are made in Nigeria daily, apply yourself and stop crying poverty.

24 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Danhumprey: 4:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
All these terrorist acts won't distract or stop the growth and development of this country!

GEJ still Jesus come!lipsrsealed

20 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by 9jahubcom(m): 5:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
I love my country nor be for mouth

1 Like

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by 9jahubcom(m): 5:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
aumeehn: .
so what are u doin with that
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by rutibaby(f): 5:25pm On Aug 01, 2014
Oh! Lord Let Thy Will Be Done.

4 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by habisodun(m): 5:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
Hmmmmmmm.....it is well
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Kalvan: 5:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
I won't talk. lipsrsealed
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by brownlord: 5:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
Will comment after reading from Lie Muhammed.

1 Like

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Kalvan: 5:27pm On Aug 01, 2014
Buhari 2015-2019.

We are ready general.

7 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by ednut1(m): 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2014
hmm the higher the risk the higher d return

2 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by rutibaby(f): 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2014
9jahubcom: so what are u doin with that

reserving his space. FP on his mind.
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2014
repent d kingdom of God at hand #christembassy
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by MarieSucre(f): 5:28pm On Aug 01, 2014
right. then market is moving but people are dying. who come dey the market?

2 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by AdetayoS(m): 5:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
I knw most of dis pro Jonathan guys on nairaland hv been paid.

3 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by hemartins(m): 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2014
Despite the violence in Nigeria, i still believe that Nigeria is a land of opportunities. In the long run, those who have invested in Nigeria will yield high turnovers.
Nigeria has the fastest growing economy in Africa and no amount of violence will stop that.
God bless Nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by yfo: 5:31pm On Aug 01, 2014
People would see this and cheer...but lets take a moment and think of all the opportunities missed cause of the violence and the attendent multiplier effect on the economy. Even without constant power, we would have been so much more comfortable.

1 Like

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by date1816: 5:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
2.These are Verses of the manifest Book (that makes clear truth from falsehood, good from evil, etc.).
3.We recite to you some of the news of Musa (Moses) and Fir'aun (Pharaoh) in truth, for a people who believe (those who believe in this Qur'an, and in the Oneness of Allah).
4.Verily, Fir'aun (Pharaoh) exalted himself in the land and made its people sects, weakening (oppressing) a group (i.e. Children of Israel) among them, killing their sons, and letting their females live. Verily, he was of theMufsidun(i.e. those who commit great sins and crimes, oppressors, tyrants, etc.).
5.And We wished to do a favour to those who were weak (and oppressed) in the land, and to make them rulers and to make them the inheritors,
6.And to establish them in the land, and We let Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and Haman and their hosts receive from them that which they feared.
7.And We inspired the mother of Musa (Moses), (saying): "Suckle him [Musa (Moses)], but when you fear for him, then cast him into the river and fear not, nor grieve. Verily! We shall bring him back to you, and shall make him one of (Our) Messengers."
8.Then the household of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) picked him up, that he might become for them an enemy and a (cause of) grief. Verily! Fir'aun (Pharaoh), Haman and their hosts were sinners.
9.And the wife of Fir'aun (Pharaoh) said: "A comfort of the eye for me and for you. Kill him not, perhaps he may be of benefit to us, or we may adopt him as a son." And they perceive not (the result of that).
10.And the heart of the mother of Musa (Moses) became empty [from every thought, except the thought of Musa (Moses)]. She was very near to disclose his (case, i.e. the child is her son), had We not strengthened her heart (with Faith), so that she might remain as one of the believers.
11.And she said to his [Musa's (Moses)] sister: "Follow him." So she (his sister) watched him from a far place secretly, while they perceived not.
12.And We had already forbidden (other) foster suckling mothers for him, until she (his sister came up and) said: "Shall I direct you to a household who will rear him for you, and sincerely they will look after him in a good manner?"
13.So did We restore him to his mother, that she might be delighted, and that she might not grieve, and that she might know that the Promise of Allah is true. But most of them know not.
14.And when he attained his full strength, and was perfect (in manhood), We bestowed on himHukman(Prophethood, right judgement of the affairs) and religious knowledge [of the religion of his forefathers i.e. Islamic Monotheism]. And thus do We reward theMuhsinun(i.e. good doers - see the footnote of V.9:120).
15.And he entered the city at a time of unawareness of its people, and he found there two men fighting, - one of his party (his religion - from the Children of Israel), and the other of his foes. The man of his (own) party asked him for help against his foe, so Musa (Moses) struck him with his fist and killed him. He said: "This is ofShaitan's (Satan) doing, verily, he is a plain misleading enemy."
16.He said: "My Lord! Verily, I have wronged myself, so forgive me." Then He forgave him. Verily, He is the Oft-Forgiving, the Most Merciful.
17.He said: "My Lord! For that with which You have favoured me, I will never more be a helper for theMujrimun(criminals, disobedient to Allah, polytheists, sinners, etc.)!"
18.So he became afraid, looking about in the city (waiting as to what will be the result of his crime of killing), when behold, the man who had sought his help the day before, called for his help (again). Musa (Moses) said to him: "Verily, you are a plain misleader!"
19.Then when he decided to seize the man who was an enemy to both of them, the man said: "O Musa (Moses)! Is it your intention to kill me as you killed a man yesterday? Your aim is nothing but to become a tyrant in the land, and not to be one of those who do right."

1 Like

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by 9jahubcom(m): 5:34pm On Aug 01, 2014
rutibaby:

reserving his space. FP on his mind.
urban right sha
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by shadowwalker101: 5:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
oluwa is involved
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by nerodenero: 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
atlwireles: Many investors still believe that the risk of being in Nigeria by far outweighs the costs of being there,” Markus of Barclays Plc’s Absa Capital unit said. “It has price stability, currency stability, the economy is still on a good run, the fiscal deficit is insignificant and the current account is in surplus.”
This is a huge plus for Jonathan's government but the masses are still suffering.
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by atlwireles: 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
AdetayoS: I knw most of dis pro Jonathan guys on nairaland hv been paid.

So who paid you to be anti Jonathan? undecided

11 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2014
We know but lazy people keep complaining , billions tongue
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Ijawboi(m): 5:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
In oritsefemi voice.

From abuja to nairobi
i dey hussle my money

1 Like

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by azpekuliar: 5:40pm On Aug 01, 2014
As the bombs keep failing to stop the flow of Foreign Direct Investment into Africa's emerging economies, so shall they also fail to stop GEJ's re-election in 2015.

10 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by sammieguze(m): 5:41pm On Aug 01, 2014
bomb?
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Kpobaridaniel(m): 5:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
wtf
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by tbagjames(m): 5:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
I didnt read the Thread but i know GEJ is working.

8 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2014
Finest boy has nothing to say.

#GEJTILLALIENINVASION

2 Likes

Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by scribble: 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2014
yes o investors nor wan gree
Re: Bombs From Abuja To Nairobi Fail To Slow Africa’s Markets by atlwireles: 5:47pm On Aug 01, 2014
nerodenero: This is a huge plus for Jonathan's government but the masses are still suffering.

"a rising tide lifts all boats" We should keep all hands on deck to see a continuation.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Again Naira Falls, Sells At N465 Per Dollar / Shareholders May Lose Over N10 Billion To Skye Bank’s Takeover / How to Detect A Scam MLM and HYIP Business Operating in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.