Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,924 members, 7,817,709 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

When Is This Car Due For Servicing - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Is This Car Due For Servicing (2244 Views)

Guy In Lekki Lagos Designed This Car... (pictures) / Who Remember This Car? Who Can Guess Nickname? / Engine Oil For Servicing Toyota Matrix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is This Car Due For Servicing by toniro(m): 3:48pm On Aug 02, 2014
Trusting your wider knowledge. Cheers
Re: When Is This Car Due For Servicing by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 02, 2014
A car is due 4 service every 5000miles,calculate the mileage from when you bought it
Re: When Is This Car Due For Servicing by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:44pm On Aug 02, 2014
edozie04: A car is due 4 service every 5000miles,calculate the mileage from when you bought it

Depends on the type of motor oil.

toniro: Hi guyz, sorry to brothe. I hav a corolla, Which I got as a tok back in april 1 week. Now its august and som folks says I need to service the car while som other colleagues say too early. So I am at a twist.
Now when is a car due for servicing. Usage or months or what please.
Trusting your wider knowledge. Cheers

What type of oil do u use? Be specific when answering.
How many miles or km have you covered since your last change?

TYPES OF MOTOR OIL
Motor oil can be segmented into four basic varieties—synthetic oil, synthetic blends, high mileage oil and conventional oil.

Synthetic motor: This oil is a laboratory synthesis of precisely controlled ingredients created by oil engineers, scientists and chemists. When combined with a high-performance additive package, this results in an oil with the highest levels of lubrication and engine protection, generally offering better protection at startup, better cleansing qualities, enhanced durability and better protection against heat buildup.

Synthetic blend motor: This oils use a mixture of synthetic and conventional base oils for added resistance to oxidation (compared to conventional oil) and to provide excellent low-temperature properties and are recommended for cars, trucks, vans and SUVs that regularly carry heavy loads, tow trailers and/or operate frequently at high RPMs.

High-mileage motor oil: This is specially blended for older vehicles, or vehicles with higher mileage. Typically, 120,000 kilometers is the figure used regarding high mileage oil. Some high mileage, high-performance cars, however, will be better served by continuing to use a synthetic motor oil. That said, a special high mileage motor oil blend, with its unique additives and viscosity, helps reduce oil burn-off, helps in sealing oil leaks and helps improve combustion chamber sealing to help restore engine compression. It all adds up to enhanced performance in older engines.

Conventional motor oil: This is what its name implies—it uses base oils enhanced in the blending process with chemical additives to help meet the manufacturer's desired levels of heat tolerance, breakdown resistance and viscosity (viscosity simply being a technical term for the thickness and fluidity of the oil). Conventional motor oil can be had in a range of viscosity grades and quality levels, from adequate to an extensively designed, high-quality lubricant. Conventional motor oil is recommended for drivers with low-mileage, late-model cars whose driving habits can be described as routine—commuting, running errands, vacation driving at relaxed cruising speeds. Today more and more engines require synthetic oil, so be sure to check your owner’s manual to make sure you don’t invite avoidable engine problems.

Examples of synthetic motor oil is mobil 1
Example of conventional motor oil mobil XHP

I change my motor oil (conventional) at 3000km
When I use full synthetic I change at 5000miles that's 8500km

3 Likes

Re: When Is This Car Due For Servicing by toniro(m): 3:41pm On Sep 06, 2014
Thanks all.
Re: When Is This Car Due For Servicing by adanny01(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

I change my motor oil (conventional) at 3000km
When I use full synthetic I change at 5000miles that's 8500km

I used synthetic blend motor oil (semi synthetic) for the first time and its been 4,000miles. I intend to change at 5,000miles since honda recommends 10,000miles using its synthetic motor oil. Using a conventional motor oil, i change at 3,000miles.

(1) (Reply)

Wats D Work Of Cylinders / Normal RPM For EOD When Idle / Between Benz ML 350 & BMW X5 Both 08

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.