Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,962 members, 7,952,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:40 AM

Your Opinion On Half Of A Yellow Sun After Watching - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Your Opinion On Half Of A Yellow Sun After Watching (640 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Opinion On Half Of A Yellow Sun After Watching by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 03, 2014
I saw it yesterday and I must say I was disappointed, expected better for a 10 million dollar budget and its star studded cast
Re: Your Opinion On Half Of A Yellow Sun After Watching by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2014
Twas disappointing, not being harsh but after seeing the trailer I expected so much more . It was also somewhat disjointed at times maybe because the Censors board made them cut some scenes, However Chiwetel Ejiofor and Thandie Newton both gave fairly good performances, Maybe Onyeka Onwenu too, all in all not the best book adaptation out there and certainly not Oscar winning stuff.
On the plus side though, thanks to the pre release hype and controversy, theaters were packed full with people angling to see it, I think it's very likely to smash all Nigerian box office records ..........I should have seen ' Guardians Of The Galaxy' instead.
PS-Brad Pitt's adaptation of Adichie's 'Americanah' with Lupita Nyongo starring would certainly be better.

3 Likes

Re: Your Opinion On Half Of A Yellow Sun After Watching by Nobody: 12:29pm On Aug 03, 2014
It was somewhat disjointed, did they cut out scenes..........I'll give it a 4 on a 10 scale......maybe if I'd read the book before watching, it would have been worth it, Also Northerners were villified a lot in the movie, it could stir up anti north sentiments
Re: Your Opinion On Half Of A Yellow Sun After Watching by LordVarys: 12:34pm On Aug 03, 2014
SenseiX: It was somewhat disjointed, did they cut out scenes..........I'll give it a 4 on a 10 scale......maybe if I'd read the book before watching, it would have been worth it, Also Northerners were villified a lot in the movie, it could stir up anti north sentiments
I guess I saw why the censors board was reluctant to approve it, I am Igbo and it brought up civil war issues that are bound to make one very passionate........i was angry at some point at northerners, all in all though I still think they tried but as the poster above you said, for all the hype it was a disappointing.
Also some unnecessary sex scenes..

2 Likes

Re: Your Opinion On Half Of A Yellow Sun After Watching by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 03, 2014
emk4lif: Twas disappointing, not being harsh but after seeing the trailer I expected so much more . It was also somewhat disjointed at times maybe because the Censors board made them cut some scenes, However Chiwetel Ejiofor and Thandie Newton both gave fairly good performances, Maybe Onyeka Onwenu too, all in all not the best book adaptation out there and certainly not Oscar winning stuff.
On the plus side though, thanks to the pre release hype and controversy, theaters were packed full with people angling to see it, I think it's very likely to smash all Nigerian box office records ..........I should have seen ' Guardians Of The Galaxy' instead.
the white dude who played Kainene's lover was very bland.poor actor, the others tried, Genny was ok but her role was minor, Onyeka also tried, Thandie Newton prolly gave the best performance

(1) (Reply)

2014 Exquisite Lady Of The Year (ELOY) Awards – Seyi Shay, Toke Makinwa, Mo Ched / Toni Payne Blasts Those Who Still Accuse Her Of 'sleeping'with Ruggedman / Pls Did Anyone Watch Nigerian Movie On Amc This Nite

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.