Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,976 members, 7,952,930 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:37 AM

Some Irregularities In Nigerian Education Policy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Irregularities In Nigerian Education Policy (896 Views)

Nigerian Education Sector Needs Attention (fynestboi) / Osun New Education Policy Can Trigger Terrorism –CAN / The Aftermat Of ''free And Compulsory'' Education Policy In Akwa Ibom State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Irregularities In Nigerian Education Policy by boay(m): 12:40am On Aug 04, 2014
boay: In my opinion about some things in my country vis-a-vis the Education sector, I think so many things are TOTALLY WRONG. But the crux of the matter is that, despite this some are TOO ABSURD.

These are too glaring and evident for any of our paliarmentarians to claim oblivion *well majority of them studied oversea and have they children do the same*

Here are few things that I have scribbled for so long on my mind.

1. Accounting (The profession of an accountant) and ICAN.

It is disheartening to me that gradually accounting as a profession is losing it value and uniqueness. Youth with Degree in accounting 'are now nothing' until they are ICAN- certified and this same ICAN certification is what anyone from any field can come to obtain within few months or years. I have an undergraduate friend; a science student, studying a science- related course who will soon become a Chartered accountant. There are also other students whose field are not related to accounting who are ICAN certified. Is this not posing a threat to the profession called accounting? Are youths with degrees in accounting not at detriment? What then is the point of studying accounting in the university for 4 years if some from other fields with ICAN certification would be judge better despite my degree? Is that profession not getting 'congested' at the detriment of those who are really in that field? I know it is very good to diversify and explore other fields as situation demands, but I think that of ICAN is getting to the extreme. I believe it can be administered better with caution

2. SSCE and UTME.
Our SSCE syllabus is different from that of UTME. Doesn't portray that chaps from secondary schools as not well equipped for tertiary education? I think the 2 syllabi should be the same so that school leavers are ready for UTME as soon as they graduate from secondary school.

3. Professional Competence.

Disciplines in Health Science and Pharmacy used to have graduate from universities inducted into their professions immediately after graduation. Why cant all other professional disciplines be like that? Why should graduates of Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying, Architecture, Chemical Engineering, etc have to write professional exams before being inducted into their professions some years after graduation. Cant we incorporate everything to the undergraduate workload? Are we not alluding that our tertiary education cant prepare or equip them well to become professionals in their respective fields forthwith upon graduation?

#My Opinion#
Re: Some Irregularities In Nigerian Education Policy by theplanmaker: 1:31am On Aug 04, 2014
most health sciences still require a professional exam before being inducted
Re: Some Irregularities In Nigerian Education Policy by Nobody: 6:16am On Aug 04, 2014
theplanmaker: most health sciences still require a professional exam before being inducted
what the op is saying is that the ICAN should kind of be restrictive to the accountants alone. My elder brother,who's a barrister is ICAN certified..

Back to the topic: some many things are wrong with our education system,too many "copy copy" of the oyinbo syllabus,that just didn't fit to ours..
Re: Some Irregularities In Nigerian Education Policy by boay(m): 9:08am On Aug 04, 2014
theplanmaker: most health sciences still require a professional exam before being inducted
I doubt the bolded.

(1) (Reply)

Jamb Regularization Problem / Australian Goverment Scholarship For Nigerians / Professional Cleaning / Janitorial Services And Fumigation/pest Control In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.