Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,819 members, 7,817,387 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

If God Exists, Which One Is He? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Exists, Which One Is He? (1579 Views)

Christians: How Does It Feel To Know GOD Exists? / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / What Is The Logical Way To Prove That God Exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 04, 2014
I've already asked the question but lemme throw a bit of light into it.

When asked "Does God Exist?" and your answer is "Yes," what "God" comes to your mind?

Yahweh/Jehovah, Allah, Sugmad, Buddha, Zeus, Brahman, Olodumare, Odin, e.t.c.

State your reason.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by ayogabriel(m): 12:18pm On Aug 04, 2014
??
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by onetrack(m): 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2014
Certainly not the god of Jews, Christians, and Muslims. He is cruel, temperamental, hypocritical, narcissistic, arrogant, capricious, self-righteous, jealous.....in short he has all the characteristics I don't like and none of the ones I do. He reflects the character of those who created him.

1 Like

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 04, 2014
onetrack: Certainly not the god of Jews, Christians, and Muslims. He is cruel, temperamental, hypocritical, narcissistic, arrogant, capricious, self-righteous, jealous.....in short he has all the characteristics I don't like and none of the ones I do. He reflects the character of those who created him.

Well, I personally don't believe in the existence of gods but I don't do so based the kind of logic you gave above. You're right that he reflects the character of the primitive men that created him but being Cruel doesn't equal being non-existent. I'm sure you understand.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Oduduwaboy(m): 12:59pm On Aug 04, 2014
onetrack: Certainly not the god of Jews, Christians, and Muslims. He is cruel, temperamental, hypocritical, narcissistic, arrogant, capricious, self-righteous, jealous.....in short he has all the characteristics I don't like and none of the ones I do. He reflects the character of those who created him.
...he also likes the smell of burnt meat ; the reason he wants to send people to hell to burn for ever and ever.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Oduduwaboy(m): 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2014
[quote author=Reiyvinn]

Well, I personally don't believe in the existence of gods but I don't do so based the kind of logic you gave above. You're right that he reflects the character of the primitive men that created him but being Cruel doesn't equal being non-existent. I'm sure you understand.[/quote

...you need to also realise that we can begin to dispel the god-fallacy by inductive reasoning , from premises such as the post you responded to layed out.
If god can create man with virtue and higher ideals ,how come his major characters are base and despicable? God must definitely be made of loftier ideals than our religions made him to be, if he exists.

2 Likes

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by onetrack(m): 1:15pm On Aug 04, 2014
Reiyvinn:

Well, I personally don't believe in the existence of gods but I don't do so based the kind of logic you gave above. You're right that he reflects the character of the primitive men that created him but being Cruel doesn't equal being non-existent. I'm sure you understand.

I'm also atheist, however if there was a creator, it certainly wouldn't be Yahweh/Allah. I don't use this to disprove the existence of all gods, just this one.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
We have very many gods but only one is responsible for creation. When the question does God exist is asked, the one that comes to mind is the one attributed with creation.

1 Like

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by FOLYKAZE(m): 7:51pm On Aug 04, 2014
God is energy
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
...he also likes the smell of burnt meat ; the reason he wants to send people to hell to burn for ever and ever.

Hmmm.... Maybe he was the first to get the Ebola Virus. Who knows
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 04, 2014
striktlymi: We have very many gods but only one is responsible for creation. When the question does God exist is asked, the one that comes to mind is the one attributed with creation.

Yahweh is said to be Creator,

Allah is said to be Creator,

Sugmad is said to be Creator,

Obatala is said to be Creator,

Brahma is said to be Creator,

e.t.c e.t.c

So nothing has changed.

WHICH ONE IS HE?

Don't forget to state your reason tho.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by JesusisLord85: 10:14pm On Aug 04, 2014
Reiyvinn: I've already asked the question but lemme throw a bit of light into it.

When asked "Does God Exist?" and your answer is "Yes," what "God" comes to your mind?

Yahweh/Jehovah, Allah, Sugmad, Buddha, Zeus, Brahman, Olodumare, Odin, e.t.c.

State your reason.

I am that I am. That is His name.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 10:23pm On Aug 04, 2014
JesusisLord85:

I am that I am. That is His name.

I told you to state your reason, didn't I?

1 Like

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by JesusisLord85: 10:26pm On Aug 04, 2014
Reiyvinn:

I told you to state your reason, didn't I?

Which scripture is oldest? Exactly.
Does His word not always come to pass.
He knows the end from the beginning.

Shalom
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 04, 2014
JesusisLord85:

Shalom

* Which Scripture is the Oldest?

Seriously, is this an argument OMG! Someone told me Cyprian Ekwensi was the first to write about Animal Kingdom Stories. This must prove that The Book must contain the most correct information about the Talking Tortoise and the Lion King and Cyprian must be honoured as their great prophet!

** DON'T THE PROPHECIES COME TRUE

Similar prophecy are found in the Hindus' Veda which was written around the same time with the old testament (c. 1000 B.C.E - c. 500 C.E) thus, ruling out any possibility of it "being copied" from the Bible (which wasn't even in any order then).

Actually, it was and has always been a general thesis that Wars, Diseases, Famines, e.t.c would eventually worsen with time. With invention of new weaponry (Wars), increase in population and decrease in supplies which they experienced then (Famines) and the increased industrial kind of live, like it was with the then world powers: Greece, Persia, Rome, Egypt, e.t.c., making it inevitable for diseases to spread (Disease), who wouldn't have foreseen such? Aristotle, Plato and Socrates made similar predictions so?

I could also predict that 2015 is going to be a bloody year, it's based on my perspective. That is why even as there are some come-trues granted to the predictions, there are also a lot of FAILED PROPHECIES too as well in the Bible. Yes, there are a lot of Failed Prophecies that apologists' try every possible way to explain away.

Try a better approach, this one is outdated, tired and debunked.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 04, 2014
Reiyvinn:

@ bolded, If there is no God, how do you think this world came about?
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by onetrack(m): 11:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
tonyayo1:

Nobody can answer that just yet. Scientists are still working on it. It's a more honest answer than saying that some imaginary god did it, one that we have never seen any proof of.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 04, 2014
striktlymi: We have very many gods but only one is responsible for creation. When the question does God exist is asked, the one that comes to mind is the one attributed with creation.
My thought exactly
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 04, 2014
Reiyvinn:

e.t.c e.t.c

So nothing has changed.

WHICH ONE IS HE?

There's a God, but we don't know whether he's the ones we've heard about or he haven't been mention by any man before. Knowing nothing about this God is what makes him unique and appears like a God to us also, IMO.

1 Like

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by JesusisLord85: 11:40pm On Aug 04, 2014
Reiyvinn:

* Which Scripture is the Oldest?

Seriously, is this an argument OMG! Someone told me Cyprian Ekwensi was the first to write about Animal Kingdom Stories. This must prove that The Book must contain the most correct information about the Talking Tortoise and the Lion King and Cyprian must be honoured as their great prophet!

** DON'T THE PROPHECIES COME TRUE

Similar prophecy are found in the Hindus' Veda which was written around the same time with the old testament (c. 1000 B.C.E - c. 500 C.E) thus, ruling out any possibility of it "being copied" from the Bible (which wasn't even in any order then).

Actually, it was and has always been a general thesis that Wars, Diseases, Famines, e.t.c would eventually worsen with time. With invention of new weaponry (Wars), increase in population and decrease in supplies which they experienced then (Famines) and the increased industrial kind of live, like it was with the then world powers: Greece, Persia, Rome, Egypt, e.t.c., making it inevitable for diseases to spread (Disease), who wouldn't have foreseen such? Aristotle, Plato and Socrates made similar predictions so?

I could also predict that 2015 is going to be a bloody year, it's based on my perspective. That is why even as there are some come-trues granted to the predictions, there are also a lot of FAILED PROPHECIES too as well in the Bible. Yes, there are a lot of Failed Prophecies that apologists' try every possible way to explain away.

Try a better approach, this one is outdated, tired and debunked.

Give me a prophecy of the Prophet Mohammed that came to pass
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 04, 2014
onetrack:

Nobody can answer that just yet. Scientists are still working on it. It's a more honest answer than saying that some imaginary god did it, one that we have never seen any proof of.
It's not about being imaginary here e.g we know that every orphan child has a father, but we do not know who the father is, how imaginary is that? Somehow it is believed that the child's father must be a Nigerian or from Africa 'cause the kid is black, without knowing that the father is from Europe or maybe America.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 05, 2014
JesusisLord85:

Give me a prophecy of the Prophet Mohammed that came to pass

Gosh!! Are you silly or what?!
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 1:03am On Aug 05, 2014
tonyayo1:

onetrack has pretty much answered the question.

You replied to him a sort of analogy of "How does an Orphan know he has a Father?" that's absurd, really.

First, being born into a world where HE SEE IT HAPPENING, A RULE THAT A CHILD MUST HAVE A MOTHER AND FATHER TO EXIST. It is Scientifically proven and when he grows up, he may even see procreation with his own eyes!

With those premises settled, it is PERMISSIBLE to allow the identity of the Father a mystery. Inasmuch as he KNOWS (due to facts proven by every known logic) that he definitely was born by a Father [as he sees of other children, in animals, proven by science AND BY THE VERY EYE].

On the other hand, the existence of God fails at that premise, which makes it impossible to pass the second. There is no tangible physical, scientific and historical proof of an Actual Existing God except the trash written in these Novels (trash that men like you an i wrote). There is no Physical Phenomenon that supports his existence (as the case was with the orphan). All we have about this God is conjectures: "Since I don't know who 'created' these things, a God did it" "My Bible/Qur'an/Veda/Suktras says so, I believe." "I don't know how it began, he started it." WTF!!!!! I don't know why Tortoise shell is cracked.... He fell from heaven!

Dude, if this God you're talking about doesn't really give a damn about the Universe, fine! He could go about his business. But if this God exists and wants humans to worship him, he should stop hiding his silly ass and reveal or prove himself! Does he derive pleasure in people not knowing him?! Why no voices, angels, fire from heaven like we see in all these books?

So lemme answer your question with a question:

who created God?

2 Likes

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 4:48am On Aug 05, 2014
^^^Mmmh... Your reply makes sense a lot, first, I'm not pointing at any of the already known Gods (religious) as the original God. The one true God still remain a mystery to man, IMO, The orphan parade is just an e.g I used in making you to understand where I'm getting at.

God is defined by my own dictionary as a supreme being, the creator and ruler of the universe. Following your write up, you want God to appear in your very before and said I'm the Lord your God, and you'll just go ahead and believe him, lol, that scientists are not able to know where he is, makes him the almighty, the fact that he doesn't has a creator makes him to be seen as a God already, if him as a God was created and lives a life as normal human being, the world will take him for granted and what would the man that created him will be called, God's dad? I don't believe in what is written in the bible as spiritual, to me it's just a mere history, I don't believe in hell, I don't believe in so many things my brethren in christ do believe in, but for the creator of this universe I believe exists.

Again, you said something about proving himself that he exists, the fact that we planted a seed and it grows, the fact that it rains, the fact that there are day and night etc is one positive prove that he exists.

Let me ask, how do you think this world came in existence?

3 Likes

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by TheBigUrban2: 5:14am On Aug 05, 2014
JesusisLord85:

Shalom

Hindu texts are one of the oldest of religious scriptures....far older than the old testament.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 6:18am On Aug 05, 2014
Reiyvinn:

e.t.c e.t.c

So nothing has changed.

WHICH ONE IS HE?

Almost all of them. I know for certain that he is not Obatala. Olorun or one of his other manifestations would have been more appropriate. He is known by very many names in diverse cultures all in accordance with their perception of him.

Whether He is called, Yahweh, Olorun, Allah, 'The Unknown God' etc it matters not really because all still refers to the same reality responsible for existence.
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by macof(m): 9:48am On Aug 05, 2014
striktlymi:

Almost all of them. I know for certain that he is not Obatala. Olorun or one of his other manifestations would have been more appropriate. He is known by very many names in diverse cultures all in accordance with their perception of him.

Whether He is called, Yahweh, Olorun, Allah, 'The Unknown God' etc it matters not really because all still refers to the same reality responsible for existence.

I don't know who gave you rights to put Yahweh in the same category as Olorun
You not even Yoruba so pls refrain from using Yoruba gods to push ur Christian propaganda.
You know absolutely nothing about Yoruba spirituality so jst shut up

1 Like

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:22pm On Aug 05, 2014
striktlymi:

Olorun is not the same thing as Yahweh. You can pls check on Orisha Oke if you need to know about Yahweh in Yoruba spiritual concept view.

Again, Obatala did created the universe and everything there in.

2 Likes

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by plaetton: 3:28pm On Aug 05, 2014
tonyayo1:

If there is a god, then how do you think he Came About?
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by plaetton: 3:30pm On Aug 05, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Hindu texts are one of the oldest of religious scriptures....far older than the old testament.

How would he know?
Has he even heard of them?
grin

1 Like

Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by plaetton: 3:34pm On Aug 05, 2014
striktlymi:

shocked
The bolded is a new, strange and interesting twist of words.

Is a reality responsible for existence, or is existence responsible for a reality?

Hhmm!
Re: If God Exists, Which One Is He? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 05, 2014
plaetton:
shocked
The bolded is a new, strange and interesting twist of words.

Is a reality responsible for existence, or is existence responsible for a reality?

Hhmm!

God is our reality who is responsible for the existence of all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Six Types Of Atheists That Exists... (by Reseachers) / Touching Video: TB Joshua Rescue Mongolian Woman / Faith Healing Couple Will Go To Prison For Manslaughter Of Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.