Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... (2002 Views)

Gambia Criminalizes Female Genital Mutilation / Female Circumcision: Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) / Facts About Female Genital Mutilation (circumcision) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 05, 2014
Female Genital Mutilation (often referred to as FGM) is a destructive operation, during which the female genitals are partly or entirely removed or injured with the goals of inhibiting a woman’s sexual feelings. Most often the mutilation is performed before puberty, often on girls between the age of four and eight, but recently it is increasingly performed on nurslings who are only a couple of days, weeks or months old.
How many different types of FGM are there?
Type 1. Excision of the clitoris prepuce (“Sunna-circumcision”) and of the clitoris or parts thereof.

Type 2. Excision of the clitoris prepuce, the clitoris and the inner lips or parts thereof. Type 1 and 2 are the most common types of FGM: 80% of the affected women have gone through these procedures.

Type 3. Excision of part of or all of the external genitals (“infibulation”, also referred to as “Pharaonic Circumcision”). Afterwards the remaining parts of the outer lips are sewn together leaving a small hole for urine and menstrual flow. The scar need to be opened before intercourse or giving birth, which causes additional pain.
Complications of female genital mutilation?
FGM has no known health benefits. It has immediate, short-term and late complications, which depend on several factors.Immediate complications include fatal bleeding, acute urinary retention, urinary infection, wound infection, septicemia, tetanus, and transmission of hepatitis or HIV if instruments are non-sterile or reused. Late complications vary depending on the type of FGM performed. Other complications include epidermoid cysts that may become infected, neuroma formation, typically involving nerves that supplied the clitoris, reduced or no sexual feeling, pain during sexual intercourse, infertility and pelvic pain.
FGM - What can we do?
1. Help raising awareness!
2. Help to implement it!
3. Raise an alarm!
4. Support the fight!

REFERENCES- wikipedia and desert flower foundation
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by mstik(f): 5:21pm On Aug 05, 2014
I still don't know why a parent will subject their daughter to such! Tufiakwa!
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 05, 2014
mstik: I still don't know why a parent will subject their daughter to such! Tufiakwa!
..some still blive it will make deir child or children less active sexually...
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 05, 2014
What did I just read?
How does this concern me?
Who mutilates female geniitalia(stupiid word censor) these days?
Op are you a woman rights activist?
Or were you mutilated?
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 06, 2014
krall: What did I just read?
How does this concern me?
Who mutilates female geniitalia(stupiid word censor) these days?
Op are you a woman rights activist?
Or were you mutilated?
..krall,y r u bombarding me with many questions oo??..lol......well,mayb am a woman right activist...dat i can answer...
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by TRADELYN: 7:52am On Aug 06, 2014
Quite interesting!
I hope this makes FP to create adequate awareness.
I believe there are more facts and figures to this...could you tell us more?
Enjoy your day, Temi grin
temigracie: Female Genital Mutilation (often referred to as FGM) is a destructive operation, during which the female genitals are partly or entirely removed or injured with the goals of inhibiting a woman’s sexual feelings. Most often the mutilation is performed before puberty, often on girls between the age of four and eight, but recently it is increasingly performed on nurslings who are only a couple of days, weeks or months old.
How many different types of FGM are there?
Type 1. Excision of the clitoris prepuce (“Sunna-circumcision”) and of the clitoris or parts thereof.

Type 2. Excision of the clitoris prepuce, the clitoris and the inner lips or parts thereof. Type 1 and 2 are the most common types of FGM: 80% of the affected women have gone through these procedures.

Type 3. Excision of part of or all of the external genitals (“infibulation”, also referred to as “Pharaonic Circumcision”). Afterwards the remaining parts of the outer lips are sewn together leaving a small hole for urine and menstrual flow. The scar need to be opened before intercourse or giving birth, which causes additional pain.
Complications of female genital mutilation?
FGM has no known health benefits. It has immediate, short-term and late complications, which depend on several factors.Immediate complications include fatal bleeding, acute urinary retention, urinary infection, wound infection, septicemia, tetanus, and transmission of hepatitis or HIV if instruments are non-sterile or reused. Late complications vary depending on the type of FGM performed. Other complications include epidermoid cysts that may become infected, neuroma formation, typically involving nerves that supplied the clitoris, reduced or no sexual feeling, pain during sexual intercourse, infertility and pelvic pain.
FGM - What can we do?
1. Help raising awareness!
2. Help to implement it!
3. Raise an alarm!
4. Support the fight!

REFERENCES- wikipedia and desert flower foundation

1 Like

Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by Chaleeee: 2:33pm On Aug 11, 2014
[size=20pt]What is femalecore? All this NL censoring can be so confusing!![/size]
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by mindurbiznes: 4:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by PrincessB1(f): 9:03pm On Aug 11, 2014
Why will ppl perform dat barbaric act?......Disgustingundecided
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by uken73(m): 2:25pm On Aug 30, 2014
Are there such ignorant people who still practice this?
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by CrazyMan(m): 11:09am On Sep 03, 2014
mstik: I still don't know why a parent will subject their daughter to such! Tufiakwa!
One word illiteracy.
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by tobiboss(m): 8:35pm On Sep 05, 2014
Never knew something like this exists, some parents are just weird
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by jauntty: 4:49pm On Sep 07, 2014
Female mutilation is barbaric and inhumane. I was discussing with a lady some months back (A final year undergraduate). She told me she was cool with the fact that she was circumcised and that she MUST do same to her daughter in order to reduce her cravings for sex and libido. I was shocked. Such an outdated practice with no benefit. Who go spoil go spoil, who go abstain go abstain.
Re: Facts About Female Genital Mutilation... by seyemon(m): 11:46am On Sep 09, 2014
@temi gracie
been trying to get ur attention for 2 weeks now...trailed ur comments on many threads,,,its imperative we talk...kindly send me a mail on seyemon2007@yahoo.com or a msg on 07039391534......pls its important...hoping to hear from you soon...Thanks

(1) (Reply)

South Africa To Mark HIV Positive People Near Their Private PARTS! / Meet The First Female Cardiothoracic Surgeon Ever In Nigeria And West Africa / Talking About Physiotherapy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.