Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived (33547 Views)

10 Signs You May Have Kidney Disease / 7 Alarming Signs You Are Unhealthy. / 10 Signs to know that Death Is Near (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by latinojives(m): 10:42pm On Aug 06, 2014
After taking a final glance at https://www.nairaland.com/1844415/how-much-sleep-enough-sleep, what bothered me more was the fact that even kids don't get enough sleep either, so we are, as it were, being raised in cultures of sleep deprivation. Little wonder there is an increase in number of people managing hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. If you’re getting less than eight hours of sleep each night, chances are you’re sleep deprived.The tell tale signs are;

[img]http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/siowfa13/sleep.jpg[/img]

Always counting on an alarm clock in order to wake up on time
You just love punching that snooze button
You have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning
You feel sluggish in the afternoons
You are frequently sleepy in meetings, lectures, or warm rooms
Drowsiness after heavy meals or when driving
Need to nap to get through the day
Falling asleep while watching TV or relaxing in the evening
Feel the need to sleep in on weekends
Fall asleep within five minutes of going to bed
Sounds like most of us right? We are so used to this symptoms that they don’t look like a big deal. You probably have no idea just how much lack of sleep is affecting you.

The effects include:

Fatigue, lethargy, and lack of motivation
Moodiness and irritability
Reduced creativity and problem-solving skills
Inability to cope with stress
Reduced immunity; frequent colds and infections
Concentration and memory problems
Weight gain
Impaired motor skills and increased risk of accidents
Difficulty making decisions
Increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems
Ever noticed how when you’re short on sleep you crave sugary foods that give you a quick energy boost? There’s a good reason for that. Sleep deprivation has a direct link to overeating and weight gain.

There are two hormones in your body that regulate normal feelings of hunger and fullness. Ghrelin stimulates appetite, while leptin sends signals to the brain when you are full. However, when don’t get the sleep you need, your ghrelin levels go up, stimulating your appetite so you want more food than normal, and your leptin levels go down, meaning you don’t feel satisfied and want to keep eating. So, the more sleep you lose, the more food your body will crave.

If these symptoms and effects speak to you, your resolve should be to get some more hours of sleep at night. Go to bed early if you must, and reduce distractions in the room (TV on, music, etc) so you can get as much deep sleep as possible. You will feel much better, and your long term health will be improved.

Source: www.salverelifestyl.com

31 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Nobody: 11:07pm On Aug 06, 2014
Its just that most of us are getting addicted to those symptoms that it now seems normal. Say it 100Times, they will still use 4-5 hrs to sleep.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by jideomowunmi(f): 11:16pm On Aug 06, 2014
Aw can i...?wen my mind is always on nairaland.... grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by write2obi(m): 11:44pm On Aug 06, 2014
I wish i could sleep 8 hours a day, but it doesn't just happen for me, I go to bed at 10 but actually sleep around 12 or 1. 5:30 my eyez don they shine korokoro

9 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by yinkard4me(m): 5:39am On Aug 07, 2014
latinojives: After taking a final glance at https://www.nairaland.com/1844415/how-much-sleep-enough-sleep, what bothered me more was the fact that even kids don't get enough sleep either, so we are, as it were, being raised in cultures of sleep deprivation. Little wonder there is an increase in number of people managing hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. If you’re getting less than eight hours of sleep each night, chances are you’re sleep deprived.The tell tale signs are;

Sounds like most of us right? We are so used to this symptoms that they don’t look like a big deal. You probably have no idea just how much lack of sleep is affecting you.

The effects include:

Weight gain
Ever noticed how when you’re short on sleep you crave sugary foods that give you a quick energy boost? There’s a good reason for that. Sleep deprivation has a direct link to overeating and weight gain.

There are two hormones in your body that regulate normal feelings of hunger and fullness. Ghrelin stimulates appetite, while leptin sends signals to the brain when you are full. However, when don’t get the sleep you need, your ghrelin levels go up, stimulating your appetite so you want more food than normal, and your leptin levels go down, meaning you don’t feel satisfied and want to keep eating. So, the more sleep you lose, the more food your body will crave.

If these symptoms and effects speak to you, your resolve should be to get some more hours of sleep at night. Go to bed early if you must, and reduce distractions in the room (TV on, music, etc) so you can get as much deep sleep as possible. You will feel much better, and your long term health will be improved.

i cant sleep now, Sleeping is a waste of bright time.... ve got so many pages to cover.
Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 07, 2014
I don't joke with my sleep angry

2 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by gbaskiboy: 5:39am On Aug 07, 2014
Minimum of 8hour per day is an ideal
Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by alaladakosta(f): 5:40am On Aug 07, 2014
Ok

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by aieromon(m): 5:40am On Aug 07, 2014
The mod that puts threads on front page early in the morning must be sleep deprived. I hope you are paid for this stress oh.

81 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by CharlieMaria(m): 5:43am On Aug 07, 2014
Am even sleeping now.

6 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 07, 2014
sleeping and typing- i like your style
CharlieMaria: Am even sleeping now.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Opiosko: 5:47am On Aug 07, 2014
We are wired differently. I have less that 5hrs sleep each night on the average but i don't have any problem.

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by LMAyedun(m): 5:48am On Aug 07, 2014
jideomowunmi: Aw can i...?wen my mind is always on nairaland.... grin grin grin
Addict

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by OLAplusONE(m): 5:52am On Aug 07, 2014
Waiting For 10 signs you are sleep undeprived, then I wl make my final comment!

3 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by olumaxi(m): 5:53am On Aug 07, 2014
Great men dont sleep

3 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by timilehing(m): 5:54am On Aug 07, 2014
the op that posted this @10:45pm & the mod that put it on front-page early mor-mor are both sleep deprived

3 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Ezyp(m): 5:57am On Aug 07, 2014
If its eight hours per day then I think am getting it right cos I take 2hours for siesta and 6 hours for night rest==8hours/d

2 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Nobody: 5:58am On Aug 07, 2014
Ones workplace and the larger society cannot afford the luxury of 8hours sleep.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by optimusprime2(m): 6:02am On Aug 07, 2014
its 7:58 at Ankara at the time of my post, & this topic was on f.p already.... mheeeeeen the mod is sleep deprived...
please mr mod have some sleep, one of the signs of knowing a mod is sleep deprived is the early morning posts.

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Giftedstan(m): 6:03am On Aug 07, 2014
Successfully sleeping away ones' life... Cant even imagine it!

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by StepG: 6:04am On Aug 07, 2014
adebayor1490: Its just that most of us are getting addicted to those symptoms that it now seems normal. Say it 100Times, they will still use 4-5 hrs to sleep.
It makes sense.
Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by CharlieMaria(m): 6:05am On Aug 07, 2014
sunnyshayne: .
Are you feeling sleepy? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by StepG: 6:05am On Aug 07, 2014
latinojives: After taking a final glance at https://www.nairaland.com/1844415/how-much-sleep-enough-sleep, what bothered me more was the fact that even kids don't get enough sleep either, so we are, as it were, being raised in cultures of sleep deprivation. Little wonder there is an increase in number of people managing hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. If you’re getting less than eight hours of sleep each night, chances are you’re sleep deprived.The tell tale signs are;

The effects include:

Weight gain

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by lekhane(m): 6:06am On Aug 07, 2014
If you sleep 8hours per day, trust me your job is not challenging or probably you don't have one. Even full housewives with kids dare not sleep 8hours

10 Likes

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Afrocatalyst: 6:06am On Aug 07, 2014
Ezyp: If its eight hours per day then I think am getting it right cos I take 2hours for siesta and 6 hours for night rest==8hours/d

You still take siesta? I miss mine. 6hrs sleep for me now is ok.

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by bennygreat1(m): 6:06am On Aug 07, 2014
Sleep is Good.... Buh 8h sleep,don't think is possible for all.. Especially for people in Lagos!

N:B- Great Men don't sleep all thru the Night.

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by publicenemy(m): 6:08am On Aug 07, 2014
informative

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 07, 2014
Educative...btw I don't sleep much.
I'm guilty smiley

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Odunharry(m): 6:13am On Aug 07, 2014
guilty

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by habex005(m): 6:13am On Aug 07, 2014
noted

1 Like

Re: 10 Signs You Are Sleep Deprived by Lilimax(f): 6:14am On Aug 07, 2014
Opiosko: We are wired differently. I have less that 5hrs sleep each night on the average but i don't have any problem.
Likewise me.The problems associated with sleep deprivation may not manifest now but in the future... undecided but may God help us all. I shall make amend soonest.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Women Have Better Dentition Than Men? / 544 New COVID-19 Cases, 203 Discharged And 11 Deaths On July 5 - (1831 Tested) / Stunning Amputee Steals Hearts On Social Media With Gorgeous Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.