Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,948 members, 7,956,570 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:21 PM

University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... (2382 Views)

Disaster In University Of Uyo As Fire Guts Girls Hostel [see Photo] / Fire Outbreak In University Of Uyo female hostel . (pictures) / Former OAU SUG President Graduates After 13 Years [PICTURED] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by Swed: 4:53am On Aug 07, 2014
Hon.Comrade Ndiana-Abasi Ekong Ekong of the Faculty of Environmental Studies in University of Uyo was Impeached from Office as the Students' Union President by the House of Representative of the Union. His Impeachment was in Pursuance to the Union Constitution which Requires Two Third of the House to be Present. He was impeached with a simple majority of 17 to 1votes in the Presence of 27 Honourable Members with the Speaker as the Presiding Officer.
Ndiana-abasi Ekong Ekong is an immediate Past Parliamentarian of the Same Hallowed Chamber and a Colleague to the Speaker at a time.
Of his Many Sins, Ndiana was initially Indicted by the House for withdrawing well over 1million Naira from the Union's Purse barely 2month into the Government without Presenting the Budget to the House or seeking Permission from the house. This Particular Offence was accompanied by a suspension stint,which did not see the Light of the day,due to the intervention of the Vice Chancellor,Prof Comfort Ekpo.
The House requested the President to write an Apology letter in. Respect to that Breach of Section57,subsection2 of the constitution to be submitted to the house in 72hours. The Letter only came after 5day.
Recently,Ndiana paid Courtesy Visits to Gubernatorial Aspirants in the State to Speak On behalf of the Union. In his entourage was an impersonator of the Speaker. The News item was Publish in a local Newspaper in the state-Global Copncord.
On August 6, Ndiana Sworn in 10 new Judges- 7Judges for the Court of Appeal including the President of the Court,3 Judges of the High court.
The House of Representative through the Committee on Federal Character and Appointment Ratification Noted their nominee did not fulfil the Constitution Requirements according to Section35 and 36,Section40,41 and 42. The Chair of the Committee requested the Ousted President to send new nominations to the House as this Persons did not have a CGPA of 3.00 and did not hv upto 2 Appearance in Court as stipulated by the Constitution. One of the nominees even gave a Fake Reg Number to the Committee due to the Fact that he did not have the required CGPA.
When the Chairman met with the President over the list of his Nominees, the President Bribe the Chairman with 2,000naira to cleared the Names. In the words of the President 'Clear those Names,I know the Constitution very well,there's Nothing the House will do to me', On asked about the Nominee with a Fake CGPA? He said he was cousins with the Nominee that he should be Cleared.
Based on these,the House Called the President to notify him about their Displeasure and the Need to stop the Swearing-In,the President Boycotted the summoned.
Vexed by this,the House held an emergency Plenary that same day. Where a Motions were orally moved thus 'that the illegal Sworn in Judges remain nullified and that the Process be Refreshed and No funds will be give for a new swearing' and ' that the President and the Attorney General be Impeached,and the Vice President be Sworn in within 24hours. The 2motions were Voted for by the Majority.
It should b Noted that the Speaker Tried to use his Powers to reduce the Punishment for these Officers to Suspensions for over 1hours but the Vexed parliamentarians opted for Impeachment. The Speaker couldn't Risk his Office also...

Re: University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by Nobody: 4:59am On Aug 07, 2014
This reminds me of my days wayback in UNICAL DUG parliament When NATO (National Association of Thwarting Officers) was at its peak.
Re: University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by emedy(m): 5:04am On Aug 07, 2014
Booked
Re: University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by Oluwaskilashi(m): 5:25am On Aug 07, 2014
Hmmmm,wonders shall never seize to amaze what are this youngmen potraying
Re: University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by psucc(m): 5:45am On Aug 07, 2014
OP what was the reaction of the his party members? Did they blame opposition for his woes?

Any good riddance for a naughty and haughty character.
Re: University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by psucc(m): 5:46am On Aug 07, 2014
OP what was the reaction of the his party members? Did they blame opposition for his woes?

Any good riddance for a naughty and haughty character. But pls

NO CULT WAR O!
Re: University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by adextetoo(m): 12:14am On Aug 08, 2014
What a reasonable action taken by the school parliamentarians kudos fellow honourables.

Also currently serving in FUTA Student Representative Council
Re: University Of Uyo SUG President Impeached... by ortopazz(m): 2:49am On Aug 08, 2014
@ op even though I would honestly applaud the house courage: in taking this bold step hence making an emphatic statement one that will go down in the anals of the university's political history, am perplexed or rather left short of words as to how the Attorney General of the union was IMPEACHED when there's no section of the tuskers republic grundnorm I.e the constitution with any relevant section to that effect sire. or would I be wrong in my assertion? please unveil this ignorant cloak off my lids sir!

(1) (Reply)

Uniben Hostel Accommodation(hall 1 And Hall 4) / Economics Obj & Essay Questions And Answers Here For Free [click Here] / Who Can Answer This Question.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.