Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,051 members, 7,838,653 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Ebola Scare Over Social Media, BBM ,ETC - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola Scare Over Social Media, BBM ,ETC (419 Views)

Ebola Scare: Policeman Flees After Mistaking Eboka For Ebola / Lagos Is Unusually Dry This Morning. Ebola Scare? (Pictures) / Ebola Scare In Imo State (bath Salt Water) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ebola Scare Over Social Media, BBM ,ETC by Playcity: 7:45am On Aug 08, 2014
Just this morning, i got a BBM Broadcast, a phone call asking us to use salt and water to clean this morning before going out just to either prevent or neutralise THE VIRUS OR EVEN SPREAD...

What annoys me is that THE NIGERIAN MEDIA AND CITIZENS AGGRAVATE PROBLEMS.. And as i am typing this while i listened to the radio a doctor just declared the we should shun that gesture....

Myth: Ebola can be treated with antibiotics (or onions, or condensed milk,sALT or...)

Truth: Antibiotics cure bacterial infections, not viral infections. Currently, there is neither a cure nor a vaccine for the Ebola virus.

Instead, there is an experimental serum called ZMapp, which contains antibodies designed to help block the virus. Before the 2014 Ebola outbreak, it had only ever been tested on monkeys and has not been approved for human use. American Ebola patients Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol decided to risk it and take the experimental drug, and early reports are cautiously optimistic about their improving conditions. However, it's unclear what role (if any) the drug is playing in their recovery, reports the Washington Post.

Myth: Ebola liquifies your organs, which causes bleeding from the orifices.

Truth: While Ebola symptoms can include bleeding from the eyes, ears, nose and mouth, those things only happen in about 20 percent of cases, explained Dr. Nahid Bhadelia, M.D., the associate hospital epidemiologist at Boston Medical Center and director of Infection Control at Boston University's National Emerging Infectious Disease Laboratories in a previous HuffPost story.

The body's organs are not liquified. However, when people die from Ebola, it's usually because the virus causes multi-organ failure and shock. This occurs because Ebola virus weakens blood vessels, causing internal and sometimes external bleeding. The virus also prevents the body from clotting blood effectively, which would help to stop the bleeding.

Nigerians..... nawaoo

(1) (Reply)

Salt Therapy Cure For Ebola: A Fatal Prank / "Ebola" Virus / Of Muscle That Helps You Breed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.