Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:51 AM

Difference Betwwen Been And Being - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Betwwen Been And Being (2421 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Betwwen Been And Being by Chinum: 2:11pm On Aug 08, 2014
This could be invaluable if you always encounter difficulties differentiating between "BEEN AND BEING?"l can also relate to that.

They are both forms of the verb "to be".

“Been” is the past participle and is used with the helper verb “to have” to form what are called the "perfect" tenses, indicating a recurring action or past or future actions. NB! It cannot be used by itself.

E.g. Present Perfect "I have been talking too much.” “I have been waiting for an hour."(with verb). "She has been tired lately."(with adj). ***Past perfect "He had been going to town twice a week.”(with verb). "I had been lazy about completing the report.”(with adj). "He had been seeing a psychiatrist."(with verb) . "She had been anxious about the job.(with adj). ***Future perfect "He will have been to three cities by next week."

"Being" is the present participle form. It can be a noun, as in "human being" or "alien being," but it is primarily used in what we call the "continuous" tenses. It is used for the progressive (continuous) form, meaning something that is ongoing. The action takes place over a period of time.

While it can be used by itself as a noun (gerund), as a verb it needs another form of “to be” with it. E.g.” Present Continuous Tense "I am being considered for the position.” “He is being practical." ***Past continuous Tense "She was being polite to the customer[i]."(with adj)[/i] "She was being moved to another hospital."

The Basic Rule **If you are using the helper verb HAVE, you use been. If you are using the helper verb BE(am, is, was),you use being.

20 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 2:32pm On Aug 08, 2014
God has blessed you really ... Front Page please !!! This affected me so well . I guess I am not alone.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by Flango: 2:42pm On Aug 08, 2014
iamSi: God has blessed you really ... Front Page please !!! This affected me so well . I guess I am not alone.

When u fail to study ur books, even something as simple as one plus one will continue to affect you.

No insults intended... I also have my own faults.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 2:50pm On Aug 08, 2014
I expected this so well ... No be Nairaland? If you already find what you've been looking for and someone from nowhere grab it from you just to show you saying "Is this what you've been looking for, Fo*ol (Not Audible though) . What can we call that kind person ... No insults intended. "
Flango:

When u fail to study ur books, even something as simple as one plus one will continue to affect you.

No insults intend... I also have my own faults.

12 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by Flango: 3:31pm On Aug 08, 2014
iamSi: I expected this so well ... No be Nairaland? If you already find what you've been looking for and someone from nowhere grab it from you just to show your saying "Is this what you've been looking for, Fo*ol (Not Audible though) . What can we call that kind person ... No insults intended. "

The last I checked, d word 'F.O.O.L' was an insultive word. U know the english lang is always changing. Maybe it has changed... I don't know 'cos I'm still learning.

As my mentor will say:
"LISTEN TO THERE WORDS AND U CAN SEE THEIR FUTURE." *smiling*
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 4:12pm On Aug 08, 2014
Thank God You know ... You should have tried to remember your mentor's quote before jumping into an unseen end. Maybe you still don't get it , you write like a Lagosian . They rush toward many things , Try to read me one last time you'll know you were the one who tried pointing finger . Hope you now get it
Flango:

The last I checked, d word 'F.O.O.L' was an insultive word. U know the english lang is always changing. Maybe it has changed... I don't know 'cos I'm still learning.

As my mentor will say:
"LISTEN TO THERE WORDS AND U CAN SEE THEIR FUTURE." *smiling*

2 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by brixton: 4:57pm On Aug 08, 2014
Flango:

u already insulted him... you shud learn to respect others instead of acting like u be Elizzy first pikin

my S.E friends go say #idi ara

3 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by EnterPRO: 5:05pm On Aug 08, 2014
thank you so much OP.

I see that mistake in almost every post on this site.

3 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by jericco1(m): 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
Flango:

Lol

1 Like

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 08, 2014
It's Ok kids. Stop fighting. Daddy is here with guguru and ekpa.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by alutaoracle: 8:05pm On Aug 08, 2014
Nice topic
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by ladyfeli(f): 8:06pm On Aug 08, 2014
This was really helpful..... Tanx OP
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by freshness2020: 8:15pm On Aug 08, 2014
So helpful.
Am So guilty of this. Thanks op.
Nairaland will never die, Alelluyah!
NL the home of knowledge!
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by freecocoa(f): 8:18pm On Aug 08, 2014
iamSi: God has blessed you really ... Front Page please !!! This affected me so well . I guess I am not alone.
seriously though, if this affected you then my friend you know nothing in English language, it's just the hard truth, sorry.
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by MisterLongman(m): 8:26pm On Aug 08, 2014
freecocoa: seriously though, if this affected you then my friend you know nothing in English language, it's just the hard truth, sorry.
Nobody is perfect maam...... You can never know it all even in english language

2 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by freecocoa(f): 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2014
MisterLongman: Nobody is perfect maam...... You can never know it all even in english language
ofcourse no one can know it all but knowing the basics is necessary and would give you an edge.

1 Like

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by hardbody: 8:52pm On Aug 08, 2014
Chinum: This could be invaluable if you always encounter difficulties differentiating between "BEEN AND BEING?"l can also relate to that.

They are both forms of the verb "to be".

“Been” is the past participle and is used with the helper verb “to have” to form what are called the "perfect" tenses, indicating a recurring action or past or future actions. NB! It cannot be used by itself.

E.g. Present Perfect "I have been talking too much.” “I have been waiting for an hour."(with verb). "She has been tired lately."(with adj). ***Past perfect "He had been going to town twice a week.”(with verb). "I had been lazy about completing the report.”(with adj). "He had been seeing a psychiatrist."(with verb) . "She had been anxious about the job.(with adj). ***Future perfect "He will have been to three cities by next week."

"Being" is the present participle form. It can be a noun, as in "human being" or "alien being," but it is primarily used in what we call the "continuous" tenses. It is used for the progressive (continuous) form, meaning something that is ongoing. The action takes place over a period of time.

While it can be used by itself as a noun (gerund), as a verb it needs another form of “to be” with it. E.g.” Present Continuous Tense "I am being considered for the position.” “He is being practical." ***Past continuous Tense "She was being polite to the customer[i]."(with adj)[/i] "She was being moved to another hospital."

The Basic Rule **If you are using the helper verb HAVE, you use been. If you are using the helper verb BE(am, is, was),you use being.

I have become tired of correcting that anomaly and honestly it cuts across the educated and the high and mighty especially in corporate circles. I daresay, a particular tribal region in this country appear more culpable in the wrong usage. Learning is an endless journey. God will keep helping us.

While i do not have the basic english rules as to why each should be used and not the other, i am aware that 'been' appears a lot more in the past. eg. I have been there, he has been there, etc while being is more of present continuous except when used as a superior 'being'...

1 Like

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 8:54pm On Aug 08, 2014
Who is this again? Yes I know nothing ... I have been writing in French. Are you satisfied? Please get busy and find pleasure in another clime . We should be done with this by now, thought someone already shared Guguru and Epa . Guess you came late. Learn to know when to halt as a woman or woman-to-be ,get a happy home. For the record , I am not your friend . Have a good night rest
freecocoa: seriously though, if this affected you then my friend you know nothing in English language, it's just the hard truth, sorry.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 8:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
Please help me tell them ... You sound more matured and reasonable . You must be in your early 60s hmmmm. E ku agba, e o ni ku fun wa oooo . These Youth Corpers in their early 20s yet to get a job with their Certs knows too much please help link them up too. They get busy in matters that has nothing to do with them
hardbody:

I have become tired of correcting that anomaly and honestly it cuts across the educated and the high and mighty especially in corporate circles. I daresay, a particular tribal region in this country appear more culpable in the wrong usage. Learning is an endless journey. God will keep helping us.

While i do not have the basic english rules as to why each should be used and not the other, i am aware that 'been' appears a lot more in the past. eg. I have been there, he has been there, etc while being is more of present continuous except when used as a superior 'being'...
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by hardbody: 8:58pm On Aug 08, 2014
Flango:

Did you just write, 'no insults intend....? is that english language? Did you mean to write, 'No insults intended'? Just asking

1 Like

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 9:00pm On Aug 08, 2014
Yes daddy but your kids still abounds ... I think More is needed .
ismokeweed: It's Ok kids. Stop fighting. Daddy is here with guguru and ekpa.
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by hardbody: 9:01pm On Aug 08, 2014
iamSi: Please help me tell them ... You sound more matured and reasonable . You must be in your early 60s hmmmm. E ku agba, e o ni ku fun wa oooo . These Youth Corpers in their early 20s yet to get a job with their Certs knows too much please help link them up too. They get busy in matters that has nothing to do with them

LOL, early 60s? You have started mistaking me again for my Dad. He begat me at a very tender age, hence the similarity, LOL
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 9:02pm On Aug 08, 2014
I tried to correct that but he's just too busy naming blames . Please like I suggested somebody need real job.
hardbody:

Did you just write, 'no insults intend....? is that english language? Did you mean to write, 'No insults intended'? Just asking
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 9:04pm On Aug 08, 2014
Your Dad is on Nairaland?
hardbody:

LOL, early 60s? You have started mistaking me again for my Dad. He begat me at a very tender age, hence the similarity, LOL
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by hardbody: 9:07pm On Aug 08, 2014
iamSi: Your Dad is on Nairaland?

Yes. Its not a forum for just kids like you, adults also come in to pick quick news and information and when necessary, they also contribute. Even my mum and my elder brother are here on NL. Do you have another question?

1 Like

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by iamSi(m): 9:21pm On Aug 08, 2014
Manipulations , I don't have any ... But Mr. Adult its rather disappointing, you just answered like you have no brains. Have a goodnight ... "Insults not intend" just like that youth corp
hardbody:

Yes. Its not a forum for just kids like you, adults also come in to pick quick news and information and when necessary, they also contribute. Even my mum and my elder brother are here on NL. Do you have another question?

1 Like

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by hardbody: 9:31pm On Aug 08, 2014
iamSi: Manipulations , I don't have any ... But Mr. Adult its rather disappointing, you just answered like you have no brains. Have a goodnight ... "Insults not intend" just like that youth corp

Bros, take a chill pill. Sorry if you felt bad, i don't mind the fact you called me names, i hope we are still good. We have been relating well until now. Do have a wonderful night's rest. And yes, i may have no brains after all. i am using my neighbours'. i refuse to get upset, its a friday night.

1 Like

Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by Flango: 10:02pm On Aug 08, 2014
hardbody:

Yes bro/sis. That was what I intented to type.*smiling* u know what they say of typo error. Thks 4 d correction.
*still smiling*

we shldn't be bitter about these things. If nt 4 social media... that lad can nt see me in real life and call me a f.o.o.l.

*walks out of tread smiling*
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by UjSizzle(f): 10:02pm On Aug 08, 2014
I think you should do one for "There" and "Their" for the benefit of one of the two-- and everybody else in dire need of it-- trading thinly veiled insults at each other.
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
Mission Accomplished. Feel like going back to primary school. #teamtoointelligent.
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by Nobody: 10:34pm On Aug 08, 2014
hardbody:

o boy no be lie, your whole family. Record breakers. Insults NO intended.
Re: Difference Betwwen Been And Being by hardbody: 10:43pm On Aug 08, 2014
balamz: o boy no be lie, your whole family. Record breakers. Insults NO intended.

And you wanna lose sleep over that? Shows at least one thing....we are a literate family. How many of your folks can read and write? No insults intended just asking....

(1) (2) (Reply)

95% Of Nairalander Will Fail This,picx. / 7 Benefits Of Studying And Living In Belize / Apply For Shell Undergraduate Scholarship 2018 Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.