Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,148 members, 7,825,588 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. (1282 Views)

Lagos Ebola Volunteers Demand Unpaid Allowances / Lagos Ebola Volunteers Threaten Strike Over Lack Of Payment / Man From Nigeria Tested For Ebola In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 9:39am On Aug 09, 2014
Enough talk. Time to act.

[size=18pt]I propose we make a cure for Ebola[/size].

I will need botanists. Do we have botanist graduates here? Whether you are now working in a bank or anywhere no concern me. I need botanists to help us identify the plant “Nicotiana benthamiana”.

Secondly I will need scientists. Med lab scientists who can extract the contents of this plant and purify it.

Then we need to find where to purchase lab mice from that we can test on.

Then we need small blood samples of an individual infected with the Ebola virus. Doctors can help us here. This is not a joke.

If we can inject small amounts of the Ebola virus into these mice and then the extract from this plant, we should he able to culture and isolate monoclonal antibodies against the Ebola virus.

I strongly believe with the right set of people, this can be done. ZMAPP DID IT WITH 9PEOPLE. We can do it!

Who is with me?

2 Likes

Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 1stola: 9:42am On Aug 09, 2014
5minsmadness: Enough talk. Time to act.

I will need botanists. Do we have botanist graduates here? Whether you are now working in a bank or anywhere no concern me. I need botanists to help us identify the plant “Nicotiana benthamiana”.

Secondly I will need scientists. Med lab scientists who can extract the contents of this plant and purify it.

Then we need small blood samples of an individual infected with the Ebola virus. Doctors can help us here. This is not a joke.

If we can inject small amounts of the Ebola virus into these mice and then the extract from this plant, we should he able to culture and isolate monoclonal antibodies against the Ebola virus.

I strongly believe with the right set of people, this can be done. ZMAPP DID IT WITH 9PEOPLE. We can do it!

Who is with me?

1stola: I'm a Nigerian and a Medical Practitioner
(Laboratory Technologist) and I will love to volunteer in order to curtail
the
Ebola epidermic. I wouldn't also mind to travel to any
African
country where the virus has killed lots of people.
Seriously, I'm not just trying to seek attention here.
I'm also currently doing a research on how prevent the
spread
and possibly, the remedy.
Please, who knows how I can go about it?
https://www.nairaland.com/1847993/love-volunteer-take-
care-ebola

1 Like

Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by pickabeau1: 9:46am On Aug 09, 2014
Laudable idea..a huge challenge to actualise without access to DNA sequencing
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 9:46am On Aug 09, 2014
1stola:

1stola: I'm a Nigerian and a Medical Practitioner
(Laboratory Technologist) and I will love to volunteer in order to curtail
the
Ebola epidermic. I wouldn't also mind to travel to any
African
country where the virus has killed lots of people.
Seriously, I'm not just trying to seek attention here.
I'm also currently doing a research on how prevent the
spread
and possibly, the remedy.
Please, who knows how I can go about it?
https://www.nairaland.com/1847993/love-volunteer-take-
care-ebola
Thanks for volunteering. We might need you to get some samples for us under the strictest safety conditions when the time comes.

We should be able to get a well isolated lab to carry out our procedures when the time comes.

Any more volunteers?
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by MARKone(m): 9:54am On Aug 09, 2014
I go bring RATS, shey it's not a must e go be the white ones grin

1 Like

Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by cirmuell(m): 10:14am On Aug 09, 2014
Hope you know that If that isolated lab go heywire, we'll lock y'all down. #justkidding grin

Nice move though, it's people like you that we need in present day Nigeria.
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 10:19am On Aug 09, 2014
pickabeau1: Laudable idea..a huge challenge to actualise without access to DNA sequencing
What do we need the DNA sequencing for? And how do we get it if we need it?
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 10:21am On Aug 09, 2014
MARKone: I go bring RATS, shey it's not a must e go be the white ones grin
Rats are more violent and difficult to maintain plus they might eat their way out and escape. Mice would be better pls.
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 09, 2014

Who is with me?
Hmmmm...
Good initiative hope it can be formalized
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by equlibrium(m): 10:58am On Aug 09, 2014

Who is with me?
sweet. . .
Which occupation are you?
Manager?
Politician? undecided
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 11:04am On Aug 09, 2014
equlibrium:
sweet. . .
Which occupation are you?
Manager?
Politician? undecided
Manager/genius/philanthropist
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by pickabeau1: 11:05am On Aug 09, 2014
5minsmadness:
What do we need the DNA sequencing for? And how do we get it if we need it?

Generally viruses are DNA creatures n need to be sequenced

A virologist will have more information
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 11:21am On Aug 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

Thanks. Seeking one now.

Mods can we move this to front page pls? Seun, mukina?
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by jotey(m): 11:39am On Aug 09, 2014
Abeg I dae join dis operation but @ op make I bring rat or monkey

Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by equlibrium(m): 11:54am On Aug 09, 2014
Okay this shiiit aint funny anymore.
you started this around 9am
isnt your 5minsmadness exhausted yet?
Its been more than 5mins after all
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 12:24pm On Aug 09, 2014
cirmuell: Hope you know that If that isolated lab go heywire, we'll lock y'all down. #justkidding grin

Nice move though, it's people like you that we need in present day Nigeria.
Aw thanks for the encouragement. We intend to get a highly self contained research facility that has been inspected by competent hands prferably US staff as they are more acquainted with the standards.
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 12:28pm On Aug 09, 2014
equlibrium: Okay this shiiit aint funny anymore.
you started this around 9am
isnt your 5minsmadness exhausted yet?
Its been more than 5mins after all
I actually expected more snide remarks and rebuttals. Is that all you've got? Nigeria must really be getting better.

Does this look like a joke to you? So what if my moniker is 5minsmadness so what? People are dying, we have a ticking biological time bomb on our hands and you think its about 5mins of madness?

Any volunteers pls! We are moving forward. Pls those pming me can share info here. The idea is to rub minds to see how to go about doing this. Thanks again for your support!
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by MegMich(m): 3:35pm On Aug 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

Nahhhhhh! We've some DNA viruses tho! Buh Ebola is an RNA virus just like HIV.
Laudable approach indeed! However, there are many factors to it. Trying so hard not to see this as a joke and thus would encourage rather than dissuade.

Really, many limitations abound buh we aim to strive notwithstanding.
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by Ninapha(f): 3:49pm On Aug 09, 2014
There is almost nothing i can offer here scientifically but sure my prayer wd always be with u all and this shall also pass. Welldone bros.

1 Like

Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by pickabeau1: 3:51pm On Aug 09, 2014
MegMich:

Laudable approach indeed! However, there are many factors to it. Trying so hard not to see this as a joke and thus would encourage rather than dissuade.

And we have a virologist!!
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by MegMich(m): 4:10pm On Aug 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

And we have a virologist!!

Just following!!! This is beyond Nairaland thread.
You don't research @ home.
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 5:21pm On Aug 09, 2014
MegMich:

Please mention the limitations, I'm quite sure it can be overcome. My main issue was getting a research lab but I've gotten some 'if you can get the team we've got the lab' people although dunno if they r just daring me . everything starts from somewhere.

The Zmapp cure was from a team of 9people only! We can do this!
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 11:56am On Aug 14, 2014
Where is everybody?
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by PrincessB1(f): 4:38pm On Aug 14, 2014
Wow Nice move....May God help you
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by WarHorse1(m): 4:46pm On Aug 14, 2014
[size=25pt]And why is this not on the front page?[/size]
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by killercute16(m): 6:03pm On Aug 14, 2014
5minsmadness:
Manager/genius/philanthropist
even if those procedures doesn't work(i pray it work o)u really need an award for this kind of idea sir.
Re: I Propose We Make A Cure For Ebola. Volunteers Needed. by 5minsmadness: 1:12am On Aug 15, 2014
@megmich am still waiting for the limitations.

What is wrong with you people? There is nothing to research, the hard work has already been done by the Zmapp people. The plant has been isolated! The name is known! Its just a simple matter of importing and growing the plant, extracting the active ingredient, titrating and concentrating it and testing it on lab rats to get the appropriate dosing concentrations!

[size=18pt]What are you people afraid of?[/size]

Must we wait for the white man to do something before we regard it as authentic? Are we really all mouth and no action?

(1) (Reply)

US Doctors Discover A Black Woman In Maryland With Two V-aginas (see Photo) / Eradication Of Unwelcomed Pests And Rodents / Which Body Lotion Do You Use?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.