Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,168 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

9 Things To Do When You Get A New Iphone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 9 Things To Do When You Get A New Iphone (966 Views)

Seven Things To Consider Before Buying A Tablet . / Two Things To Lookout For While Getting An Android Phone / ‘iPhone 5S': Photos Of New iPhone Surfaces (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

9 Things To Do When You Get A New Iphone by OwillyOscar(m): 11:15am On Aug 10, 2014
1. Activate New iPhone

You can do everything you need right on the iPhone and start using it in just a few minutes. The basic setup process activates the iPhone and lets you choose fundamental settings for using features like FaceTime, Find My iPhone, iMessage, and more.

2. Install iTunes

iTunes is much more than just the program that stores and plays your music. It's also the tool that lets you add and remove video, apps, photos, music, and more from your iPhone. It's also where a number of settings related to what goes on your iPhone live. It's pretty crucial to using your iPhone.
Macs come with iTunes pre-installed; if you have Windows, you'll need to download it (luckily it's a free download from Apple).

3. Set Up Find My iPhone

Open the contacts on your iPhone and click the plus sign in the upper right corner to create a new contact. Adding basic information like your name is only helpful in that Siri knows how to address you.

If you’d like the ability to simply type “Home” into your Maps app, or tell Siri “Take me home,” and get the directions you need, this is the place to specify that information so your phone can reference it later. If you scroll down a bit, you’ll see a spot to add addresses – fill in your work, home, or other address so your conversations with Siri can be more casual as you ask for directions.

After you setup your own contact record, you need to go to Settings > General > Siri > My Info and assign the contact to yourself. If you need to continue adding relatives after this, you can have Siri do the work for you – “My buddy’s name is Rooney.”
With your information setup, Siri will recognize phrases like “Remind me to take out the trash when I get home.”

Find My iPhone is also a feature of iCloud that lets you use the iPhone's built-in GPS to pinpoint its location on a map. You're going to be glad you have this if your iPhone ever goes lost or gets stolen. In that case, you'll be able to locate it down to the part of the street it's on, which can be important information to give to the police if you're trying to recover a stolen phone. But in order to use Find My iPhone when your phone goes missing, you first have to set it up. Do that now and you won't be sorry later.

4. Keep the Party Going

As with any new iPhone, you're going to want to spend plenty of time just playing around and experimenting with your new iThing. In that process, it's conceivable that at some point you'll discover something's no longer working quite right. Fixing the most common software-related problems is simple.

If you're having an issue with a particular app, try manually stopping any background processes: You should double-tap the Home button to bring up the multitasking options. Tap and hold on the offending app and click the red minus sign. Try opening it again.

If that doesn't work, you can try force-rebooting your device. Hold down both the Home and Power buttons until the unit powers down, and keep holding until you see the Apple symbol. Release the power button and you should have a cleaner-running device once it completes its power-up.

If that still doesn't fix a problem with a particular app, you can delete the app and re-install it from the App Store. You'll lose any settings or data from the app, but you won't have to buy it again; Apple's vast servers keep a record of your purchases.

For more serious or system-wide problems, you can bring out the big guns and restore to a backup that was made (automatically!) during a previous sync. Connect your device and Option-click on its name under the Devices heading in iTunes.

If all else fails, you can take off and nuke the site from orbit: On the Summary screen for your device is a Restore button that returns your iPhone or iPod to factory condition. Once you do that, it's possible you might be able to restore from a backup successfully. But if not, all your apps and media are still stored on your Mac -- so while it may be a pain to set everything up, you should be able to get back up and running.

See full details on http://trendymediablog.com/2014/08/9-things-to-do-when-you-get-a-new-iphone/

(1) (Reply)

Apple Device Home: Ipod, Ipad, Iphone3g 4 4s 5 5c 5s Etc. / Samsung Takes A Bold Step: Galaxy Note Edge, Video And Spec / Advice Needed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.