Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,412 members, 7,954,636 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:43 AM

Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor (1586 Views)

White Man Lies In The Sun In Niger-Delta / If Your Finger Nails Look Like These, See Your Doctor Immediately (photos) / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2014
The fear of being judged also drives us to lie about the very things that we should be discussing with our doctors. Find out about the things that most people lie about, and why they do it.

According to a survey, 77% healthcare providers believed that their patients lied to them about their health/habits.

We often lie about a lot of things and sometimes fib without giving it a second thought. After all, a little white lie doesn't hurts anyone, right? Wrong! The lies you tell your doctor will harm no one other than you. Sometimes, the fear of being embarrassed can make us hide the truth about our health history or not be completely honest with our general practitioner.

What we don't realize is that, doctors are probably the safest people to confess our health habits to, because they are required to keep the patient information confidential.
Not disclosing relevant information pertaining to your health to a doctor, is not only unwise but also dangerous. Keeping your physician updated about little aches and pain, weight gain or loss, and other issues can help avert and avoid health conditions, such as heart attack, diabetes, and strokes. This Buzzle article discusses some of the lies you should never tell your doctor and why.

Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:40pm On Aug 10, 2014
Why You Shouldn't Lie to Your Doctor

Lie: I have never smoked and I hardly ever drink.

Let's face the facts. If you do smoke and have no problem smoking in public, why would you hide this piece of important information from your own doctor? Smoking as we all know, causes immense damage to our health. That being said, shouldn't your priority be to look after your health first and not worry about what your doctor might think or say? If your doctor is made aware that you smoke or drink (or both), he will take measures to check the state of your health through blood tests, etc. He may also ask you to exercise more or suggest an alternative diet that is healthier. However, lying about not being a smoker or drinker, will make you vulnerable to all the health complications associated with these habits, most of which can be averted if diagnosed or monitored in time. Even those who have quit smoking and drink occasionally, must keep their doctors informed about how they feel and if they have cravings or experience any physical or emotional discomfort.

Lie: I exercise regularly and eat healthy food.
There is no need to feel guilty if you don't exercise at all or not as much as you have been asked to by your doctor. It would save you and the doctor a lot of trouble, if you just came out with the truth and informed your doctor that you've not had the time or the inclination to exercise. Once the doctor knows this fact, he will be able to suggest other ways of helping you lose weight or get healthier, without having to make exercising seem like a chore. Similarly, being secretive about your eating habits can also put you at risk of heart problems and weight issues. Starving yourself, not eating enough, or overeating, is not going to harm anyone else but you! Therefore, your doctor must be made aware of your eating habits, so that he can frame a healthy dietary plan for you, if required.
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:47pm On Aug 10, 2014
Lie: I always practice safe sex.
This one probably tops the charts of 'the most-told lies to doctors'. Irrespective of how humiliated you may feel about disclosing such private information, you have got to remember that you're talking to a doctor and not your parents. No one is going to judge or reproach you here. Letting the doctor know that you have had unprotected intercourse in the last three months or less is imperative, to ensure that you are not suffering from any STIs/STDs. Many of the sexually transmitted infections are asymptomatic and may go undetected for months or years. There is also no point in hiding information about past infections, and especially those that may still be lying dormant. Viral infections such as herpes and HPV can be prevented from flaring up during pregnancy. Your doctor may also suggest that you switch over to other methods of contraception.

Lie: I am not stressed or depressed.
If you are aware that you are suffering from high levels of stress or are undergoing depression, you must talk about these issues with your doctor. You may think that no one will understand your problems, but a doctor will at least try to find a solution for your troubles. Patients showing signs of anxiety and depression are usually screened for underlying conditions that may cause sleeplessness, palpitations, listlessness, etc. If the health reports do not show any problems, then the patient is usually referred to a psychologist for further assessment.
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:51pm On Aug 10, 2014
Lie: I'm not mixing my medication.
It is very important that you inform your doctor about the herbal and vitamin supplements that you may be having along with your prescribed medication. You definitely should not be mixing over-the-counter medicines without consulting your general physician. Such health risks should not be taken, because one can never tell when one medication may adversely react with another and cause dangerous side effects. Also, some medications may override the effect of another and make it weaker or ineffective, which may aggravate the patient's condition even more.

Lie: I brush and floss every night.
While you think you can get away by lying about your oral hygiene, it is unlikely that the dentist will believe you. Your oral health can reflect upon the state of your health and can also help diagnose underlying health conditions, such as gastrointestinal problems, respiratory issues, and even detect mouth cancer at a very early stage. That apart, many times, we are so embarrassed at having a cavity or two, that we keep delaying the process of getting the tooth cleaned and filled. It is only when the toothache becomes too much to bear do we go seeking help!

Treat your doctor as a confidant because he truly is there to help you and keep you from falling ill. Don't shy away from talking about your past and ongoing health issues with him.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/lies-you-should-never-tell-your-doctor.html
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by adegwurulez(m): 7:06pm On Aug 10, 2014
you're not even supposed to lie to your doctor at all. Unless ofcourse he is a family doctor who happens to be a friend of your dad.

1 Like

Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by papindinho(m): 7:12pm On Aug 10, 2014
Doctors hold the key to your life in the stead of God. God heals through the doc. So, lying to a doc equals lying to God....

No lies.
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2014
adegwurulez: you're not even supposed to lie to your doctor at all. Unless ofcourse he is a family doctor who happens to be a friend of your dad.
that's true.

*longtime Boss*
papindinho: Doctors hold the key to your life in the stead of God. God heals through the doc. So, lying to a doc equals lying to God....
No lies.
so, we should tell them everything about us(concerning health) ?
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by papindinho(m): 7:00pm On Aug 11, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: that's true.

*longtime Boss*so, we should tell them everything about us(concerning health) ?
sure. That's the way out.
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by adegwurulez(m): 11:11am On Aug 15, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: that's true.

*longtime Boss*
since you guys decided to forget us na
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 9:15pm On Aug 16, 2014
adegwurulez:
since you guys decided to forget us na
nah,
we both know that's not true, sir.
You hardly comment on the literature section and you've stopped sharing your interesting stories with us.
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by adegwurulez(m): 2:16pm On Aug 18, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: nah,
we both know that's not true, sir.
You hardly comment on the literature section and you've stopped sharing your interesting stories with us.
Sometimes when you get worn out you just have to give yourself time to become yourself again and thats what i did. I didn't choose not to comment on the lit section again, i just decided to observe rather than participate. Coupled with school stress, Aaarrrrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!! e no easy.
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 3:28pm On Aug 18, 2014
adegwurulez:
Sometimes when you get worn out you just have to give yourself time to become yourself again and thats what i did. I didn't choose not to comment on the lit section again, i just decided to observe rather than participate. Coupled with school stress, Aaarrrrrrrggghhhhhhh!!!! e no easy.
Ahh, I understand.

But, when should we expect another blockbuster action story from you? cheesy
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by adegwurulez(m): 3:30pm On Aug 18, 2014
PrinceAdepoju: Ahh, I understand.

But, when should we expect another blockbuster action story from you? cheesy
very soon
Re: Lies You Should Never Tell Your Doctor by PrinceAdepoju(m): 1:28pm On Aug 26, 2014
adegwurulez:
very soon
I look forward to it, bro. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

That Pregnancy Thing Was In Cameroon Not Nigeria, Why Do People Lie Like This? / Does Over Masturbation Cease Height Growth / Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get Encephabol Syrup ASAP In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.