Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency (1047 Views)

Bringing Power And Fuel Efficiency Closer To Factory Setup Of Your Car / Between 2003 Corolla And 2001 Camry, Which Is A Better Option / How Durable Is A 1998 - 2001 Mitsuibishi Montero Jeep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by Edunwa302(m): 10:33pm On Aug 10, 2014
Hi everyone I recently own a 2000 camry bought from a nairalnder (fearnot auto) five moths ago I discovered that the braking efficiency of the car is very poor and hard during sudden braking , beside I have own a 1994 model aka Orobo for yrs now and that car braking system was just perfect it comes with front and back disc braking system.
Having made some compliance to my mech he had my two rear brake drum changed and there is no improvement, he told me to convert the rear drum braking system to disc type which I am about to do now Cus I discover that most people that owns the same car complains abt same issue including four of my friends.
Just wana know if anyone here have successful converted his or her own before?
Re: 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:49pm On Aug 10, 2014
Possible faulty components

* brake booster (servo)
* substandard brake pads

Check this before you convert anything.

1 Like

Re: 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by Edunwa302(m): 7:23am On Aug 11, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Possible faulty components

* brake booster (servo)
* substandard brake pads

Check this before you convert anything.

Tanx
The pads both front and back are still those ones that come with the car and they are still in good shape , as for the booster I will ask my mech to look at it.
I v to draw my hand break to the extremely end before it can be active even if I do adjustment mechanical it ll just take two or three wks for it to go down again
Re: 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by bdek(m): 12:53pm On Aug 12, 2014
what might cause this is mostly if u are an aggressive driver like me,i don't have patience when driving, so it require heavy braking. this is what to do ,ur front disk is wrap easily , and it wrap quickly when overheat, get a turner to shine ur disk ,put in original brake pad or just polish the follow come stuff with it, the rear brake should be adjust not to be tight or close ,drive gently without sudden stopping for 3 days or 25 Miles , all will be fine.
Note:when on high way and u press brake aggressively, may be because of pot hole or emergency ,drive gently for the next 10 min to allow the disk to cool bfor increasing ur speed.avoid driving above 100km/h.
Hope this will help
Re: 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by Edunwa302(m): 11:35pm On Aug 12, 2014
bdek: what might cause this is mostly if u are an aggressive driver like me,i don't have patience when driving, so it require heavy braking. this is what to do ,ur front disk is wrap easily , and it wrap quickly when overheat, get a turner to shine ur disk ,put in original brake pad or just polish the follow come stuff with it, the rear brake should be adjust not to be tight or close ,drive gently without sudden stopping for 3 days or 25 Miles , all will be fine.
Note:when on high way and u press brake aggressively, may be because of pot hole or emergency ,drive gently for the next 10 min to allow the disk to cool bfor increasing ur speed.avoid driving above 100km/h.
Hope this will help
tanx man
not realy i m aggressive driver but i use to do alot of high way and i needed a reliable brake just like my formal 96 model
Re: 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by sultaan(m): 1:41am On Aug 13, 2014
What is the color of your brake fluid?

It should light yellow or almost colorless of it is brown or black flush your brake system it will cost a pint of dot3 a friend and 2 cold beers grin
Re: 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by Edunwa302(m): 6:48am On Aug 13, 2014
sultaan: What is the color of your brake fluid?

It should light yellow or almost colorless of it is brown or black flush your brake system it will cost a pint of dot3 a friend and 2 cold beers grin
Yep its light yellow
You mean dot3 brake fliud
Re: 1998-2001 Camry Poor Braking Efficiency by bdek(m): 8:38am On Aug 20, 2014
If thats is the case just replace the master cylinder and use synthetic brake fluid ,and make sure all ur wheel caliper are working fine ,i will direct u later to youtube video on DIY if u need it

(1) (Reply)

Car Battery Terminals Cleaned With Carbonated Soft Drink / Neatly-used Hyundai Accent 2010 Model For Sale / Hyundai Accent 2012 - Parking Light And Dashboard Light Stays On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.