Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,329 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? (2720 Views)

For Game Developers.. / App Developers: How Much Do You Charge? / A Call To Game Developers! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Vondata(m): 10:16am On Aug 12, 2014
I can tell that why Game development in Nigeria is very discouraging is because of the market. Do anybody earn up to $500 per year in Game making? Where and how did you sell your games since Nigerians only want popular games?
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by tundebabzy: 4:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
On what platform are you asking about? PC? Mobile? Xbox?
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Vonelixir(f): 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
I guess she meant pc
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by asalimpo(m): 9:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
Vondata== vonelixir! Hmm.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by tundebabzy: 11:48am On Aug 14, 2014
Vonelixir: pc
Just be creative. Since you perceive the problem to be popularity then try the demo model. If your game is that nice, people will pay.

Or you can even make the full game available. Allow gamers play the first few levels or stages or whatever then ask them to pay to unlock the rest of the game to continue. If the game isn't a mumu game, ppl will pay.

It always boils down to: is your game (product) good enough and is it worth the price? The existing market is not a good enough excuse. If the existing one is not good, make your own.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by blueyedgeek(m): 1:31pm On Aug 14, 2014
Additionally, you don't have to limit yourself to the Nigerian market alone. I don't see other game developers limiting themselves to just one country alone.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Chuksxy: 4:46pm On Aug 14, 2014
blueyedgeek: Additionally, you don't have to limit yourself to the Nigerian market alone. I don't see other game developers limiting themselves to just one country alone.

This post is so on point, I believe Most Nigerians play popular console games from Big AAA publishers (FIFA, COD, GTA, e.t.c) or casual mobile games on their phones and tablets (Angry birds, Fruit Ninja, Temple Run). If you want to reach a wider audience I suggest you think big and go beyond borders. Visit a lot of Indie game dev sites like Tig Source, gamastura e.tc. Start a dev log and show some progress. If you're game is good enough you are bound to get covered and recognized by one of those game news outlets; The beauty of it all is that they cover games from all over the world.

You could also release it on steam (which seems to be the biggest PC's biggest game distribution platform). However in order to get on steam you'll probably have to pay a deposit fee of 99USD after which you can upload as many games as you want. Before games can go on sale on steam, they are put up for the community to see and vote and If people like your game enough, you're in(The game doesn't even have to be complete yet). You'll also have to fill some legal forms and stuff bla, bla (withholding tax), bla, bla lol.

Another option is try to release it for free as a shareware game; cave story is a perfect example of this. It was made by a single person over a span of 5 years, and yet he decided to release it for free. The game became quite popular until eventually Nintendo got a hold of the guy and offered to release it on their consoles (I think it's been remastered twice).

Last but not least, If you have the cash, you could form your own game company and get some devkits from SONY(PS3, PS4, PS VITA), or Microsoft(XBOX). Both have decided to become more Indie friendly so it's way much easier to get a dev kit from these guys.
I think a Dev kit for the PS Vita costs around 1900 euros which is around 405,974 Naira which is quite cheap compared to those days when the Devkit for a PSP or PS2 was between 20 000 - 25000 euros (4,273,410 - 5,341,760); Yikes. If they like you enough, they might even form a partnership with you and publish it (Physical copies) or you could self publish on PSN.

There are a ton of other options out there. You could release it on a web platform which supports ads, you could also host it on your own website with ads, you could also distribute it for free and have it link back to your site where people can donate or something; It all depends on what you want.

Personally, I believe you should just focus on making a fun game in your spare time and worry about the financial stuff later(The market is incredibly saturated and competitive since everyone and their mums are making games these days). Release something, get some experience and create a name for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by asalimpo(m): 12:29am On Aug 15, 2014
Chuksxy:

This post is so on point, I believe Most Nigerians play popular console games from Big AAA publishers (FIFA, COD, GTA, e.t.c) or casual mobile games on their phones and tablets (Angry birds, Fruit Ninja, Temple Run). If you want to reach a wider audience I suggest you think big and go beyond borders. Visit a lot of Indie game dev sites like Tig Source, gamastura e.tc. Start a dev log and show some progress. If you're game is good enough you are bound to get covered and recognized by one of those game news outlets; The beauty of it all is that they cover games from all over the world.

You could also release it on steam (which seems to be the biggest PC's biggest game distribution platform). However in order to get on steam you'll probably have to pay a deposit fee of 99USD after which you can upload as many games as you want. Before games can go on sale on steam, they are put up for the community to see and vote and If people like your game enough, you're in(The game doesn't even have to be complete yet). You'll also have to fill some legal forms and stuff bla, bla (withholding tax), bla, bla lol.

Another option is try to release it for free as a shareware game; cave story is a perfect example of this. It was made by a single person over a span of 5 years, and yet he decided to release it for free. The game became quite popular until eventually Nintendo got a hold of the guy and offered to release it on their consoles (I think it's been remastered twice).

Last but not least, If you have the cash, you could form your own game company and get some devkits from SONY(PS3, PS4, PS VITA), or Microsoft(XBOX). Both have decided to become more Indie friendly so it's way much easier to get a dev kit from these guys.
I think a Dev kit for the PS Vita costs around 1900 euros which is around 405,974 Naira which is quite cheap compared to those days when the Devkit for a PSP or PS2 was between 20 000 - 25000 euros (4,273,410 - 5,341,760); Yikes. If they like you enough, they might even form a partnership with you and publish it (Physical copies) or you could self publish on PSN.

There are a ton of other options out there. You could release it on a web platform which supports ads, you could also host it on your own website with ads, you could also distribute it for free and have it link back to your site where people can donate or something; It all depends on what you want.

Personally, I believe you should just focus on making a fun game in your spare time and worry about the financial stuff later(The market is incredibly saturated and competitive since everyone and their mums are making games these days). Release something, get some experience and create a name for yourself.

you hit on some points i'd like to highlight.
Summary- game dev aint cheap or easy but the indie guy cud save cost till he strikes gold.
Not cheap:
development costs(console kits,etc)
marketg costs (steam,website etc)

not easy:
guy tht created a game in 5yrs!
The level off details there wud b excruciatg.
How many 5 yr blocks are they in a wrkg life?

1 Like

Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
You guys should google goat simulator (for real). It has a website I think www.goat-simulator.com - the guy just made it for fun, and people love it, downloads don plenty sef, now they are planning to take it to ios and beyond.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by blueyedgeek(m): 4:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
dhtml18: You guys should google goat simulator (for real). It has a website I think www.goat-simulator.com - the guy just made it for fun, and people love it, downloads don plenty sef, now they are planning to take it to ios and beyond.
Who plays that sort of game sef? You just play as a goat doing "goaty" things. Game dey dis world kwa.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 15, 2014
blueyedgeek: Who plays that sort of game sef? You just play as a goat doing "goaty" things. Game dey dis world kwa.
Alright, it is a stupid goat, but did you check the website, my link was correct sef. The site is extremely informative. It even has a wiki - http://goatsimulator.gamepedia.com/Goat_Simulator_Wiki - trailer and all that. I am trying to imagine the money and resources used to create such a game and package it so.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Chuksxy: 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
dhtml18: You guys should google goat simulator (for real). It has a website I think www.goat-simulator.com - the guy just made it for fun, and people love it, downloads don plenty sef, now they are planning to take it to ios and beyond.

lol, I've heard and seen some vids of the game; it's quite extremely silly. It's from the makers of sanctum 1 and 2. I heard the game sold quite well, I think they even raised enough money to fund like 2 other projects.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
All your information is correct. The creator just made money out of doing something just for the fun of it. A silly nonsense goat.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by emeraldababy(f): 7:32pm On Aug 16, 2014
hello pls am new here,i need help.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 16, 2014
emeraldababy: hello pls am new here,i need help.
Na only you waka come? Help with playing goat simulator or what in particular?
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Vondata(m): 8:50pm On Aug 16, 2014
Chuksxy:

This is a good advice, I will rather do an alpha or beta of the game for people to play and buy for full version than to make it free.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Vondata(m): 8:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
I don't even have a paypal to get started.
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Vonelixir(f): 9:49pm On Aug 16, 2014
I already have 3games to be sold and they're all good...I'M Growing popular gradually shaa
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 16, 2014
Vonelixir: I already have 3games to be sold and they're all good...I'M Growing popular gradually shaa
REALLLLLY? that is great. where can i download their trial versions?
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Vonelixir(f): 10:27pm On Aug 16, 2014
Vonelixir: I already have 3games to be sold and they're all good...I'M Growing popular gradually shaa
dhtml18:
REALLLLLY? that is great. where can i download their trial versions?

I will release it next week, my fans are waiting impatiently for the Demo but Nigeria is never a place to make Games, no light! But must release it next week so as not to lose fans. I'll inform ya when It's done.

1 Like

Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Aug 16, 2014
I shall feature it on my blog - GAME BY A NIGERIAN!

1 Like

Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by Zarama7(f): 2:34pm On Aug 18, 2014
Interested
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by ashishsharma(m): 7:14am On Jul 18, 2018
Well, this will be interesting...!
Actually, if we can see in real event human are more attracts towards new and trending things. I will definitely target this to promote my game to the Nigerians peoples.

However, developing a game is not an easy job, as it requires time and dedication with some innovative ideas.
So, if you are looking to develop a game for Android, iOS, hybrid platforms we can help you with that.
We kindly work on 10$ per hour.

Mail id: - info@orioninfosolutions.com
Contact no: - +91-8302758817
Re: Game Developers, How Do You Sell Your Games As A Nigerian? by effyzzy: 3:56pm On Jul 18, 2018
TERAWORK gives you a unique platform to showcase your skills to a wide range of potential clients who are looking to hire people with your skill type.

Hordes of Freelancers and service-based professionals are expanding their income stream daily by getting onboard the terawork platform. Don't be left out!

Signup now! https://terawork.com

(1) (Reply)

Little drops of Python from a Flask: Learn Web Programming with Python / Learn Python With Kash / Translate Automatically Some Pages From English To Other Languages Like German

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.