Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,113 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! (649 Views)

Why Is It Called Mother Tongue Instead Of Father Tongue / Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Isn't It A Shame When You Can't Speak Your Mother Tongue?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fellow Nairalanders, it is worrying how most Nigerian languages are becoming extinct.

Most children don't know their tribe let alone their hometown. To make matter worst, most parents don't speak their language with their kids. It is English language from home to school, church, mosque and the general society.

This urbanization culture where parents go to work from six to six and leave their kids at the mercy of school authorities is more the problem.

I would have been a victim of this if my parents had not been sending me to the village to spend August school vacation hence am curious to ask will you send your children to spend August long vacation in your village?
Re: Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! by Fulaman198(m): 3:50pm On Aug 14, 2014
sunnyshayne: Fellow Nairalanders, it is worrying how most Nigerian languages are becoming extinct.

Most children don't know their tribe let alone their hometown. To make matter worst, most parents don't speak their language with their kids. It is English language from home to school, church, mosque and the general society.

This urbanization culture where parents go to work from six to six and leave their kids at the mercy of school authorities is more the problem.

I would have been a victim of this if my parents had not been sending me to the village to spend August school vacation hence am curious to ask will you send your children to spend August long vacation in your village?

It's not necessary like that everywhere in Nigeria. There are cultures and regions that put a huge emphasis on their native language.
Re: Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! by achinaboy(m): 5:16pm On Aug 14, 2014
i think the language or tongue issues,is mostly the problem of the i gbos living outside igbo speaking cities,or inter marriages,
Re: Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 14, 2014
I'm a victim of this and I hate my brain for that. I can't speak my dialect, I hardly even recognize or interpret the simplest of words when spoken to. I know where it all began, and I wish I can reverse back time to change things. If only my parents were a little bit careful.

1 Like

Re: Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 14, 2014
Ceasar1: I'm a victim of this and I hate my brain for that. I can't speak my dialect, I hardly even recognize or interpret the simplest of words when spoken to. I know where it all began, and I wish I can reverse back time to change things. If only my parents were a little bit careful.

sorry bro, August vacation in the village was my saving grace o
Re: Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! by Fulaman198(m): 11:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
It's never too late to learn your language. Instead of complaining about not being able to speak it, go out and learn to speak it, simple as that. How can you call yourselves Nigerians when the only thing you can speak is a European language. It's quite shameful/disgraceful. Wake up and learn your native tongue and don't beat about the bush.
Re: Why Kids Dont Learn Their Mother Tongue! by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198: It's never too late to learn your language. Instead of complaining about not being able to speak it, go out and learn to speak it, simple as that. How can you call yourselves Nigerians when the only thing you can speak is a European language. It's quite shameful/disgraceful. Wake up and learn your native tongue and don't beat about the bush.
Its not that easy. (Leave us to mourn our predicament)

(1) (Reply)

Funniest Nigerian Spoken Language You've Ever Heard. / Is Life A Mystery? / Chaiii!!! Japanese Woman Eats A Frog Alive!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.