Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,858 members, 7,813,931 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:53 PM

Graduate As Truck Drivers? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Graduate As Truck Drivers? (754 Views)

A Graduate As A Cab Driver: How Lucrative? / First Batch Of Dangote Truck Drivers To Graduate In January 2013 / What Is In For A Graduate, As An Aviation Security Officer(faan) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Graduate As Truck Drivers? by sabro(m): 1:31pm On Oct 21, 2008
"Have you been searching for job" "Are you tired of unemployment". The foregoing were the catchy and enticing questions inscribed in an advert placed on page 61 of Guardian Newspaper Newspaper dated October 21, 2008.

The advertiser seeks "holders of NCE, OND, HND, B.Sc or equivalent, with or without driving experience" to participate in a "truck driving programme that guarantees a high paying job and bright business opportunities in the emerging haulage and logistics industry".

Frankly, I wept while reading the advert. I wept because the advertiser, seemingly without conscience, needs HND and B.Sc holders to work for him as truck drivers. The question that flashed through my mind was, has employment situation gone so bad that employers now place advert seeking university or polytechnic graduates to work as truck drivers?

Some few weeks back, not a few of us were jolted to read on the pages of some newspapers that a graduate of marketing applied to work as a cleaner under Lagos State government.

Let it be known that I am not against Graduate Skill Aquisition but I am against Graduate Truck Driving Scheme which the advertiser intends introducing into our society. What a mockery! I believe the skill a graduate need is the one that would awaken his entrepreneural abilities so that he can one day become an employer. Being an employer will enable him apply whatever knowledge he acquired from the university into his business for the upliftment of mankind.

In conclusion, how many parents would be happy seeing their graduate sons and daughters ending up as truck drivers given the financial and material resources and time wasted in the course of their education?

Now fellow nairalanders, I wrote this to encourage you not to devalue your degrees or diplomas by just accepting any job that comes your way.
Re: Graduate As Truck Drivers? by Seun(m): 1:37pm On Oct 21, 2008
If the best job you can get is a driving job, go for it. There is no value in sitting at home doing nothing.
Re: Graduate As Truck Drivers? by yicob(m): 1:55pm On Oct 21, 2008
There is nothing ridiculous in the job advert. Afterall the employer went ahead to create a job for someone that looks up to a fellow being for help. FYI, have seen an msc holder drop his academic title aside and his now working as a driver in a multinational coy. If the best job doesnt come, get a lower one or create one that is tantamount to your standard.
Re: Graduate As Truck Drivers? by manenof: 2:18pm On Oct 21, 2008
well it is nice to add that a whole lots of jobs are available here in Nigeria but we do not have the required skill set to man such responsibility. so you wouldn't blame them because they feel a Nigerian graduate is best fix for a truck driver.

(1) (Reply)

Imprtant Notice For All Cbn Test Takers! / Jobs Vacancies At Lagos Rail Mass Transit For Experienced Railway Engineers / Urgently Needed For Interview!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.