Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,502 members, 7,954,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:34 PM

How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? (1122 Views)

The Most Meaningful Xperience I've Had In My 2+ Yrs Of Flying / Nigerians Shun Domestic Air Travel Over Fear Of Crashes / People Afraid of Flying: What Remedy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 16, 2014
Fellow NL, every human alive has his or her phobia. While some will be comfortable flying in a plane, others will detest it and would prefer to go buy bus. Some people cannot sail even if titanic was reconstructed but you will find somebody sleeping and snoring in a canoe.

I fly once in awhile and I meet people on board who have a terrible fear for flying and from the look on their face one can deduce that if not for their job, position or mission, they will never fly.

I have this friend who has traveled wide but yet he is yet to overcome this fear hence I'm tempted to ask, how can one overcome the fear of flying?

MOD front page please.
Re: How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? by vizkiz: 11:02am On Aug 16, 2014
Take Netrazapham ans sleep throughout your flight undecided
Re: How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 16, 2014
To overcome the fear of flying, you must overcome the fear of dying.

One can only get rid of this fear when one accepts the fact that death can come anytime anywhere. I fly often but each time I board, I keep thinking, I hope everything is in place should this be my mortal end, then I surrender myself to cosmic and let what I cant influence be.

2 Likes

Re: How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? by CaptTomBunnLCSW: 5:23am On Aug 17, 2014
With regard to fear of flying, the first courses were at Pan Am and at US Air. They started around 1975. I worked as a volunteer with the Pan Am course. At the end of each course, participants were invited to fly together as a group, along with us pilots who could reassure them that all is fine. Emotional control was supposed to be achieved by 1. knowing flying is relatively safe, 2. letting go of control, and 3. breathing/relaxation exercises.

It was very disturbing to, again and again on these flights, see course participants doing exactly what we taught them, and still see them suffer in a state of panic or terror. I asked the course director to add some techniques based on CBT. That never got done, so in 1982, I set up SOAR and added CBT techniques. It helped some people, but not others. After years struggling to get CBT to work, I stumbled on something that was getting good results with far more clients. Since then, neurological research explains why it worked.

First, there are times when humans produce oxytocin; when we do, the fear system shuts down. So, by finding an oxytocin-producing moment, and linking it by association to what happens when flying, what happens when flying triggers oxytocin and keeps the fear system shut down.

Second, in a moment when another person is attuned and empathic, the vagus nerve leading to the heart is stimulated; the heart slows, and the parasympathetic nervous system produces general calming.
Re: How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 19, 2014
CaptTomBunnLCSW: With regard to fear of flying, the first courses were at Pan Am and at US Air. They started around 1975. I worked as a volunteer with the Pan Am course. At the end of each course, participants were invited to fly together as a group, along with us pilots who could reassure them that all is fine. Emotional control was supposed to be achieved by 1. knowing flying is relatively safe, 2. letting go of control, and 3. breathing/relaxation exercises.

thanks for your incisive ideas.

It was very disturbing to, again and again on these flights, see course participants doing exactly what we taught them, and still see them suffer in a state of panic or terror. I asked the course director to add some techniques based on CBT. That never got done, so in 1982, I set up SOAR and added CBT techniques. It helped some people, but not others. After years struggling to get CBT to work, I stumbled on something that was getting good results with far more clients. Since then, neurological research explains why it worked.

First, there are times when humans produce oxytocin; when we do, the fear system shuts down. So, by finding an oxytocin-producing moment, and linking it by association to what happens when flying, what happens when flying triggers oxytocin and keeps the fear system shut down.

Second, in a moment when another person is attuned and empathic, the vagus nerve leading to the heart is stimulated; the heart slows, and the parasympathetic nervous system produces general calming.

Re: How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? by justi4jesu(f): 1:39pm On Aug 19, 2014
sunnyshayne: Fellow NL, every human alive has his or her phobia. While some will be comfortable flying in a plane, others will detest it and would prefer to go buy bus. Some people cannot sail even if titanic was reconstructed but you will find somebody sleeping and snoring in a canoe.

I fly once in awhile and I meet people on board who have a terrible fear for flying and from the look on their face one can deduce that if not for their job, position or mission, they will never fly.

I have this friend who has traveled wide but yet he is yet to overcome this fear hence I'm tempted to ask, how can one overcome the fear of flying?

MOD front page please.

its not new, me too i detest flying but no option but to fly...like someone rightly said before flying confess all your sins and surrender yourself between hmmmm no ways about it if lipsrsealed
Re: How Can One Overcome The Fear Of Flying? by stevebond007(m): 12:16pm On Sep 20, 2014
Its a fear you decide to have from lack of experience, news from media,
It is illogical and you can conquer it by enjoying the view...
Do you have a fear watching TV? Apparently not...so is your phobia .its illogical

I am a student pilot ... trust me you will overcome it.

(1) (Reply)

Accomodation In Boston And Atlanta / Where Can Someone Relax And Catch Fun In Enugu / Top Neatest Cities In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.