Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,825 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:59 AM

which organs can i live without and make money with them? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / which organs can i live without and make money with them? (536 Views)

Oluwaseun Samuel-Fajilade With Male And Female Sex Organs Cries Out For Help / Boy, 13, Has No Reproductive Organs (Photo) / Pigs Could Grow Human Organs 'by 2013' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

which organs can i live without and make money with them? by onyenro(m): 12:32pm On Aug 16, 2014
I came across this on the internet and wondered why someone would commit suicide and waste his life and money he could make if .........

First, a disclaimer: Selling your organs is illegal in the United States. It's also very dangerous. Handing off an organ is risky enough when done in a top hospital, even more so if you're doing it for cash in a back alley. No, really: Don't do this. OK? OK.
There are many organs one can theoretically do without, or for which there's a backup.
Most folks can spare a kidney, a portion of their liver, a lung, some intestines, and an
eyeball, and still live a long life. That said, donating a lung, a piece of liver or a section of intestines is a very complicated surgery, so
it's not done frequently on the black market.
And no one's going to make much cash on an eyeball. "In the U.S., there's a fairly steady
supply of donated corneas from corpses," says
Sean Fitzpatrick, director of public affairs at the New England Organ Bank. "There's pretty
much no market demand for eyes." Giving up a kidney, though, is a relatively simple surgery that has netted desperate people a few bucks.
No one's going to make much cash on an eyeball. Now, black-market organ dealers don't
do a great job of filing taxes, but here are some prices based on rumored deals and reports from the World Heath Organization. In India, a kidney fetches around $20,000. In
China, buyers will pay $40,000 or more. A good, healthy kidney from Israel goes for $160,000. Don't expect to pocket all that dough, though.
"The person giving up the organ only gets a fraction of the fee," says Sally Satel, a scholar at the American Enterprise Institute think tank who studies the prices paid by legal and illegal organ-donor operations. After the organ broker—the guy who sets up your kidney-for-cash transaction—takes his cut, he needs to pay for travel, the surgeon,medical
supplies and a few "look-the-other-way" payoffs. Most people get $1,000 to $10,000
for their kidney (probably much less than you were hoping for).
The best bet is to wait until compensation for organs is legalized in the U.S.—the Organ
Trafficking Prohibition Act of 2009 would allow payment to donors, but it stalled in Congress—because there's certainly a market for kidneys. Last summer, a man offering one of his for $100,000 (plus medical expenses) on Craigslist received several offers until the Web site removed his post. And you could probably hold out for even more. In 1999, before eBay delisted a kidney put up for auction, bidders drove the price up to $5.75 million.

This article originally appeared in the February
2010 issue of Popular Science magazine.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-08/which-organs-can-i-live-without-and-how-much-cash-can-i-get-them

(1) (Reply)

Potty Training Readiness Checklist For Toddlers / Do You Have These Eating Disorders? / Infertility In Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.