Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,438 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:19 PM

How Good Is God? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Good Is God? (16196 Views)

Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? / Is GOD GOOD TO YOU THIS YEAR / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Good Is God? by macof(m): 12:24pm On Aug 28, 2014
calaharry:
The concept of good is about the acts of living being that possess faculties of reasoning .They are mandated to value the existence of its own kind by coexisting in peace and tolerance with laid down rules of justice to preserve man kind from generation to generation. If the world was not guided by those laws of good and evil you macof would not have been here today to evoke your philosophy of good and evil. angry

Exactly what am telling this guy.

The concept of Good and evil is all in the mental reasoning to preserve the human essence.

He keeps shutting me down expecting Bible verses
Re: How Good Is God? by calaharry: 5:47pm On Aug 28, 2014
macof:

Exactly what am telling this guy.

The concept of Good and evil is all in the mental reasoning to preserve the human essence.

He keeps shutting me down expecting Bible verses
What grudge do really have against the bible macof? The guy was quoting portions of it to buttress his points on human reasoning based on his beliefs. But it seems you are being holistic in your though process on this matter if good and evil.
Re: How Good Is God? by macof(m): 7:05pm On Aug 28, 2014
calaharry:
What grudge do really have against the bible macof? The guy was quoting portions of it to buttress his points on human reasoning based on his beliefs. But it seems you are being holistic in your though process on this matter if good and evil.

I have no grudge against the Bible. The problem is the people who take the Bible over common sense

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by Weah96: 5:32am On Aug 29, 2014
calaharry:

The bible does contain some wise words. As well as horrible ones. It doesn't make sense to say that it was dictated by God. Why would God not speak directly to each individual, if this God is capable of doing all things? Does that make sense to you? All this hide and seek nonsense. Is the God a child or an old man?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Good Is God? by dorox(m): 9:19am On Aug 29, 2014
finofaya: I've been wondering what is meant by a good God.

God is good.

fOkay.

The problem here is that "good" is meaningless without "evil". In order for good to exist, evil must exist, since a thing can only be good in relation to another thing.

Christians will say that God is good and man introduced evil after the fall. Or perhaps it was the fall of Lucifer that introduced evil. Either way, what it means is that God became good at the point of the introduction of evil. Before then, he was good in relation to what? Nothing. So he could not have been good.

In orderor God to be good from the on set, there must have been evil somewhere, from the on set.
There are four ways this could have played out:

1. God is neither good nor evil, he just is. In this case, good and evil only have meaning because we say they do. What we mean when we say something is good or evil is that we approve or do not approve of it. Nothing is objectively good or evil.

2. Assuming that one thing can be both at the same time, God is both good and evil. Good and evil exist objectively, and they are both embodied in God.

3. Assuming that nothing can be both at the same time, God is good, while another entity exists which is evil. This entity would be similar to God, (eg if God has a good personality, it would have an evil personality) in order to be the antithesis of God. Thus it should be sentient. Here, God is not responsible for the evil being. Instead something higher than both God and the evil being is responsible for both of them.

4. Still assuming that nothing can be both at the same time, God is evil, while another entity exists which is good. And something else is responsible for both of them.

Which one is obtainable? I have no idea. I could even be entirely wrong.

Any ideas?
Can we all go back to discussing the validity of the op's claim that evil has to present somewhere else in order for good to exist? In my opinion, I think his premise is false, hence is entire argument from number one to four is also false.
Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 9:31am On Aug 29, 2014
Weah96: Yahweh used to encourage men to run trains on females. Now he does all his good works through Boko Haram and ISIS.

You have a problem! A very big one!

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by macof(m): 10:58am On Aug 29, 2014
chrisviral:

You have a problem! A very big one!

Do you deny ur god Yahweh instructing men to rape women??
Re: How Good Is God? by Legendoscar2: 2:11am On Sep 04, 2014
finofaya: I've been wondering what is meant by a good God.

God is good.

Okay.

The problem here is that "good" is meaningless without "evil". In order for good to exist, evil must exist, since a thing can only be good in relation to another thing.

Christians will say that God is good and man introduced evil after the fall. Or perhaps it was the fall of Lucifer that introduced evil. Either way, what it means is that God became good at the point of the introduction of evil. Before then, he was good in relation to what? Nothing. So he could not have been good.

In order for God to be good from the on set, there must have been evil somewhere, from the on set. There are four ways this could have played out:

1. God is neither good nor evil, he just is. In this case, good and evil only have meaning because we say they do. What we mean when we say something is good or evil is that we approve or do not approve of it. Nothing is objectively good or evil.

2. Assuming that one thing can be both at the same time, God is both good and evil. Good and evil exist objectively, and they are both embodied in God.

3. Assuming that nothing can be both at the same time, God is good, while another entity exists which is evil. This entity would be similar to God, (eg if God has a good personality, it would have an evil personality) in order to be the antithesis of God. Thus it should be sentient. Here, God is not responsible for the evil being. Instead something higher than both God and the evil being is responsible for both of them.

4. Still assuming that nothing can be both at the same time, God is evil, while another entity exists which is good. And something else is responsible for both of them.

Which one is obtainable? I have no idea. I could even be entirely wrong.

Any ideas?

You read a little of that ancient 6 century BC religion called Zoroastrianism or Mazdaism then come out here to feel like something...
I think you better pay attention to what you are reading from Chrisviral....it will save your life..

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by macof(m): 5:33pm On Sep 06, 2014
Legendoscar2:

You read a little of that ancient 6 century BC religion called Zoroastrianism or Mazdaism then come out here to feel like something...
I think you better pay attention to what you are reading from Chrisviral....it will save your life..

and you have been reading 20th century BC - 6th century AD tales of Jews and Romans and come here feeling like something.

Pls take ur nonsense out of her

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by finofaya: 5:46pm On Sep 06, 2014
Legendoscar2:

I guess dismissing somebody's argument without even considering it does not count as feeling like something.

My life is not in danger. Neither is yours.
Re: How Good Is God? by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 05, 2014
chrisviral:

God does feel anger and happiness!
He was angry with Man, thus he repented why he created Man, he was happy with David's sacrifice, thus he stopped his wrath (angel of death) from finishing Isreal, he was happy with Solomon's sacrifice, thus he he him wisdom, God has emotions dear! He is no robot.

Their is not always an equal reward for every good or evil, God said, " I will have mercy on whom I will have Mercy" some sinners go unpurnished and some don't.

One thing I have leant is that, A fully comprehensible God is no God at all.
God is still God because No one man can fully understand God, he is inexhaustible!
I Concur

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 05, 2014
chrisviral:

Hahahaha you make me laugh, it's all the same thing. And God created Man in his own image, he passed his trait to man, a consciousness of both good and evil, just God has the choice to kill Devil but he chose not to because of a divine purpose, so also is me and you, with a choice not to patronize NairaLand but we choose to, Why? To fulfill the purpose of this thread! It is because you want to convince me, that is why your still posting me, so also the devil and hell was created by God because both are still fulfilling their purpose.

Right on point bruv!
Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 10:35am On Oct 05, 2014
doubleDx:

Right on point bruv!

Thanks.
Re: How Good Is God? by calaharry: 2:02am On Oct 09, 2014
God is good because after creating human, He allowed man freewill to choose good or evil instead of forcing man to do His will.
Re: How Good Is God? by finofaya: 5:58pm On Oct 09, 2014
calaharry:
God is good because after creating human, He allowed man freewill to choose good or evil instead of forcing man to do His will.

But did he create the good and evil that man is to choose from or what?
Re: How Good Is God? by calaharry: 7:19pm On Oct 09, 2014
finofaya:

But did he create the good and evil that man is to choose from or what?
...God created Heaven and earth before creating man, and was satisfied that they were good and dt He created only good.So, it confirms that God is good. Otherwise ,God would have said it at the time of creating Heaven and earth b4 man's arrival, that they are a mixture of good and evil.
Now evil is d act of deviation from good or deviating from order or a nom apart its physical action,it has dip spiritual connotation and consequences.
However, evil came after creation of man, it evolved from conspiracy of man and fallen angels, against the authority of the Almighty, with clear evidence of a negative act which is disobedience(interpreted as rebellion,going against lay down laws,biting the finger that fed you syndrome, usurpation, which grew more evil on earth etc.). This scenario is typical of wht u seen on earth today, people striving to dominate others for selfish wealth and controlling powers,deviously overthrow or dethrone, take lifes to instill fear, rule with iron fist and intimidation etc., are all evident that evil is of man and not of God. Otherwise God would not have made man exist. And He would not have given many chances to turn a new leaf,because He can do and undo.
Re: How Good Is God? by finofaya: 9:24pm On Oct 09, 2014
Bro, you need to give this whole thing a closer look.

calaharry: ...God created Heaven and earth before creating man, and was satisfied that they were good and dt He created only good.So, it confirms that God is good. Otherwise ,God would have said it at the time of creating Heaven and earth b4 man's arrival, that they are a mixture of good and evil.
Now evil is d act of deviation from good or deviating from order or a nom apart its physical action,it has dip spiritual connotation and consequences.

God made man good, right? If he hadn't he would have said that man is a mix of good and evil. Cool.

Since he didn't say that man is both good and evil, and only said instead that man is good, how is it that man is now both good and evil? God could not have lied, I hope.

However, evil came after creation of man, it evolved from conspiracy of man and fallen angels, against the authority of the Almighty, with clear evidence of a negative act which is disobedience(interpreted as rebellion,going against lay down laws,biting the finger that fed you syndrome, usurpation, which grew more evil on earth etc.)

The fall of Lucifer came before the creation of man. You cannot be saying that it is the fall of man that brought evil unless you think the fall of Lucifer was good; that Satan did good by rebelling.

This scenario is typical of wht u seen on earth today, people striving to dominate others for selfish wealth and controlling powers,deviously overthrow or dethrone, take lifes to instill fear, rule with iron fist and intimidation etc., are all evident that evil is of man and not of God.

Asking somebody to do as you say on pain of infinite torture amounts to instilling fear, intimidation and ruling with an iron fist.

Otherwise God would not have made man exist. And He would not have given many chances to turn a new leaf,because He can do and undo.

By knowing that man would turn out to be evil, and then going ahead to create him, God deliberately introduced evil. In fact, he had already prepared hell before he created man. Does this not show knowledge and intention?
Re: How Good Is God? by phillipsmayowa: 9:26pm On Oct 09, 2014
Re: How Good Is God? by calaharry: 12:12am On Oct 11, 2014
finofaya:
Bro, you need to give this whole thing a closer look.

God made man good, right? If he hadn't he would have said that man is a mix of good and evil. Cool.

Since he didn't say that man is both good and evil, and only said instead that man is good, how is it that man is now both good and evil? God could not have lied, I hope.

The fall of Lucifer came before the creation of man. You cannot be saying that it is the fall of man that brought evil unless you think the fall of Lucifer was good; that Satan did good by rebelling.

Asking somebody to do as you say on pain of infinite torture amounts to instilling fear, intimidation and ruling with an iron fist.

By knowing that man would turn out to be evil, and then going ahead to create him, God deliberately introduced evil. In fact, he had already prepared hell before he created man. Does this not show knowledge and intention?
...Just pulse a minute and reflect.
I TELL YOU AS A VAST SCIENTIST AND A BELIEVER IN CHRIST JESUS, GOD did not create evil,just get it straight.

You see "good" are various entities created by God for enjoyment (known as paradise place of comfort and laughter).
This portrays a replica of the preferred style of life man is struggling all his life to attain e.g you want to live in a cozy accommodation,secured place, with 24/7 light,everything working uninterrupted for you and your family. That was God's idea from the start of creation. That is why whatever humans are doing now is a replica from generations past,but modified with increased intellectual(with things you can see) knowledge and inspirational(with things invisible) knowledge.

Now, evil in itself is not an entity in creation, rather a deviational act of man with fallen angels, termed disobedience, because GOD gave man the choice to obey or not to obey,so that man has exercise freewill instead of being a slave. And it was that disobedient act that polluted the creation(good) made by God.
SO DONT BLAME GOD FOR EVIL, because EVIL IS A FALL OUT OF MAN'S MISUSE OF GOD'S VOLITION POWER.
THIS MISBEHAVIOR STILL HAPPEN TODAY,AS SOME SO CALLED PREACHERS ARE RUNNING WILD DOING VERY CRAZY THINGS THAT ARE CONTRARY TO GOD'S WORD, EXPLOITING THE GULLIBLE MAJORITY.
Re: How Good Is God? by Weah96: 11:42am On Oct 11, 2014
calaharry:

...Just pulse a minute and reflect.
I TELL YOU AS A VAST SCIENTIST AND A BELIEVER IN CHRIST JESUS, GOD did not create evil.

Should I believe you, or the words of the bible?

Isaiah 45:7King James Version (KJV)

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
Re: How Good Is God? by calaharry: 9:08pm On Oct 11, 2014
Weah96:

Should I believe you, or the words of the bible?

Isaiah 45:7King James Version (KJV)

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Isaiah 45v7(RSV)...I form the light, and create darkness: I make weal, and create woe(like punishment for d unrighteous, not evil): I the Lord do all these things. ...IT IS CONTEXTUAL MATTER,HOW IT SAID FOR REFERENCE PURPOSE.
...Remember GOD IS ALL KNOWING ,because HE HAS BOTH THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL.
...HE DID NOT CREATE EVIL. IT IS HIS CREATION THAT DEVIATED FROM HIS PATH RESULTING IN EVIL MANIFESTATION AND PUNISHMENT. " SPIRITUAL DEFINITION OF EVIL IS: DEVIATION FROM THE PATH OF THE CREATOR"
Above all things believe the word of God.
Re: How Good Is God? by calaharry: 9:08pm On Oct 11, 2014
1cor 2v14 -15 (RSV)... the unspiritual man doesn't receive the gifts of Spirit of God,for they are folly to him, he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

When it comes to tangible things (the physical or matter) in creation you apply science,philosophies, logic etc.

But when it comes to the intangible things ( faith,belief, GOD, good,evil,satan,moralityetc.,you don't continue on the path of logic,rather you apply spiritual wisdom and knowledge of the Creator, that is based on your level of spiritual endowment.

You should have a balanced life of both the physical and spiritual.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How T.B Joshua Leads Nigeria’s Religious Tourism Drive / Download Audio: Morning Devotion Worship Songs By Nathaniel Bassey And Sinach / Should Prostitutes & Yahoo Boys Pay Tithes​ From Their Income?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.