Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,113 members, 7,814,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) (22681 Views)

Photos From An Unclad Annual Virgin Dance That Holds In Abiriba Kingdom / Interesting Facts About The Urhobo People Of Delta State / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 9:53am On Aug 18, 2014
If someone should tell you that there still exists people who live in the forests as primitive men, would you belief him/her?
What if the person adds that these people (male and female) move about completely naked (I mean naked as they were born), would you still belief him?

Here is introducing the 21st Century naked People:

The Isolated People of the Zo'é Tribe.
The Zo'é people (also known as Zo'é or the Marrying tribe) are a native tribe in the State of Pará, Municipality of Óbidos, on the Cuminapanema River, Brazil.[3] They are a Tupi–Guarani[4] people.

Culture:
All Zo'é wear the poturu, a wooden plug piercing the bottom lip. The Zo'é have a tradition where new fathers have the backs of their calves cut with the 'tooth of a small rodent'.

The marriage rituals of the Zo'é are complex and not fully understood. It is not known how many wives or husbands one is allowed to have. Many women practice polyandry, one or more husbands may be "learning husbands"; young men learning how to be good spouses, in exchange for hunting for the rest of the family.

In the state of Para, Northern Brazil, in one of the last still largely unexplored rainforests in the world, a new tribe, the Zo'é, was recently contacted. They live between the Amazon River and the country of Suriname. The Zo'é are part of the Tupi linguistic group. Little is known about them. They are semi-nomadic hunters and gatherers. Their favorite prey is monkey, which is plentiful in the region during the dry season. During the rainy season, the Zo'é rely on a root plant called manioc, which must be processed into flour to avoid its poisonous properties.
—Jean-Pierre Dutilleux

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zo%27%C3%A9_people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--1AEHcLmuk

Find more youtube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=zoe+tribe+amazon

******************** 19/08/2014 Edit

Who are the Amazon's uncontacted tribes?
As video footage released by Brazil's indigenous authorities shows three uncontacted Amazonian men making contact with the outside world, here's an explanation of who they are and why they have rarely been seen before.

An uncontacted tribe has made first contact with the outside world in the Amazon, home to more groups that have not had contact with the outside world than any other area in the world. According to FUNAI, Brazil's indigenous authority and the organisation that filmed the natives shortly after their initial contact, there are 77 uncontacted tribes in the Amazon. The native men in the video come from uncontacted tribes living along the border between Peru and Brazil. It is estimated that around 600 natives have settled there, belonging to four separate groups.
According to Survival, a group advocating the rights of tribal people, the groups may have moved from Peru to Brazil due to potential attacks on the tribes, from drug smugglers or illegal loggers. But the group also seasonally moves for turtle eggs, which could be another reason why they came into contact with the Ashaninka native people of northern Brazil along the banks of the Envira River, near the Peruvian border.

The men belong to a tribe from the Panoan linguistic group, a group of languages spoken by indigenous people in the area of the Amazon. There is no knowledge of what the groups call themselves, however. Very little is known about indigenous people such as this, known as Uncontacted Indians. However, they are most likely descendants of tribe members who were able to escape the enslaving or wiping out of indigenous groups at the end of the 19th century, during the rubber boom.

Members of these tribes live in communal houses, and live off what they hunt and collect, including forest birds, animals, fish, fruits and nuts.
What is known about such groups is that they want to remain uncontacted. They have previously shot arrows at airplanes and tend to hide out deep in the Amazon in order to remain protected. However, their desire to stay uncontacted has become increasingly difficult, due to illegal activity encroaching on their territory. This is also putting such tribes at serious risk, as outsiders bring common bacteria into the natives' lands, exposing them to potentially life-threatening harm. Though we have largely developed immunity to common diseases like measles or the common cold, uncontacted Indians have not, meaning they are especially vulnerable to them.

FUNAI recently treated seven members of Uncontacted Indian tribes for the flu, reportedly after non-Indians invaded their land with guns. Although once they returned to their communities they were free of the virus, they may be carrying other sorts of bacteria which could bring harm to their tribe once they return. Survival has responded to the issue by beginning a campaign to protect the groups from such illnesses spread by members of the outside world. In March 2014, Peru and Brazil signed an agreement to monitor the protection of such tribes' land.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/11003006/Who-are-the-Amazons-Uncontacted-Indians.html
Attached image has been mutilated to avoid violation of Nairaland rule 5.

What do you think of these people?
The description of the location of these people suggest they are not based in Africa. Can't really where I picked it up, but I think they are located closer to Brazil. I'm not sure much has been heard/known about these people who are completely cut off from civilization. I think the Western media would have done much to publicize this if it was in Africa.

Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 11:05am On Aug 18, 2014
People are viewing and not commenting. Is everyone that familiar with this?
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by diphi(m): 11:07pm On Aug 18, 2014
uken73: People are viewing and not commenting. Is everyone that familiar with this?

yes very familiar
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 11:44pm On Aug 18, 2014
diphi: .
yes very familiar
Really? It's new to me.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by vicadex07(m): 11:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
Lol...I think most are just here to view the naked pics and video like me cool

3 Likes

Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by pleep(m): 4:02pm On Aug 19, 2014
uken73: People are viewing and not commenting. Is everyone that familiar with this?
yea, they also dont suffer from disease because of how isolated they are from everything. As a result they have no immunity either so even the common cold would kill them.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 7:08pm On Aug 19, 2014
pleep:
yea, they also dont suffer from disease because of how isolated they are from everything. As a result they have no immunity either so even the common cold would kill them.
If mosquitoes exists in that forest, I wonder how they would cope. I'm so shocked to know that people live like this in this age.
How do they even handle the cold weather without clothing? How do those kids especially new born babies cope with the cold. It really baffles me.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by MisterG: 8:51pm On Aug 19, 2014
This group you posted had been discovered or emerged from the forest during the 1980's. However a couple of recent groups had emerged in both Peru and Brazil. Note, majority of the Amazion tribes have been contacted,only a small minority has not. This group was in many news outlets throughout the worl.

http://www.uncontactedtribes.org/brazilfootage
video of them above.

and here is another group which is recent
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/11003006/Who-are-the-Amazons-Uncontacted-Indians.html
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by MisterG: 9:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
Also with the rate of development and unfortunately drug barrens, there time is running very short, and so is ours. If the Amazon is destroyed does not only mean trouble to the native, but trouble for all us on earth regardless of country.

be expected to witness a major climate change.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/11/14/brazil-amazon-destruction/3541703/
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 9:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
Wow. So there are many of such groups of people. Thanks @MisterG. I'm just learning of these people and it's so amazing.
I also wonder if there are no wild animals like Lions etc in these jungles that these people live. Their settlements don't seem to be protected from such wild animals. The world is a lot deeper than I thought.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by MisterG: 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2014
uken73: Wow. So there are many of such groups of people. Thanks @MisterG. I'm just learning of these people and it's so amazing.
I also wonder if there are no wild animals like Lions etc in these jungles that these people live. Their settlements don't seem to be protected from such wild animals. The world is a lot deeper than I thought.

Actually the uncontacted groups are the minority, most consist of small groups only. The vast majority of the tribes in the Amazon have been in contact especially the large groups and now live in reservations, and they likewise had some interaction with the uncontacted groups, mainly through trade because there was always a tribe network among the different tribes.

Yes, there are many wide array of animals in the Amazon jungle ranging from Leopards, Jaguars, Hollering monkeys, pythons, crocodile and piranha. Among many others.

Here the list of some animals in the Amazon forest. Note the Amazon forest is the largest jungle in the world. As i mentioned before if the entire forest is gone, expect weird changes throughout planet earth. More than 28 percent of the forest is gone due to development, so the remaining tribes isolation will be short in the not to distance future.

1 Like

Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 10:04pm On Aug 19, 2014
MisterG:

Actually the uncontacted groups are the minority, most consist of small groups only. The vast majority of the tribes in the Amazon have been in contact especially the large groups and now live in reservations, and they likewise had some interaction with the uncontacted groups, mainly through trade because there was always a tribe network among the different tribes.

Yes, there are many wide array of animals in the Amazon jungle ranging from Leopards, Jaguars, Hollering monkeys, pythons, crocodile and piranha. Among many others.

Here the list of some animals in the Amazon forest. Note the Amazon forest is the largest jungle in the world. As i mentioned before if the entire forest is gone, expect weird changes throughout planet earth. More than 28 percent of the forest is gone due to development, so the remaining tribes isolation will be short in the not to distance future.
Any idea on how they protect themselves from these wild life?
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by MisterG: 10:14pm On Aug 19, 2014
uken73:
Any idea on how they protect themselves from these wild life?

They have arrows, as you seen from the links, and various type of weapons to hunt, fight other groups, and protect themselves in the jungle. As you noticed with similar community around the world, good example is the Masai in Kenya that live within the Safari park in Kenya. Also note Animals for some reason has a built in fear towards humans especially in large groups. Also note there are plenty of game for the animals to hunt, so it is less likely they bother human settlements whether large or small. However the biggest problems for these people is basically the rest of the human species that live outside the jungle and now settling and bringing development within the rainforet, which is destroying our planet eco system. I cannot stress that enough.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 10:32pm On Aug 19, 2014
MisterG:

They have arrows, as you seen from the links, and various type of weapons to hunt, fight other groups, and protect themselves in the jungle. As you noticed with similar community around the world, good example is the Masai in Kenya that live within the Safari park in Kenya. Also note Animals for some reason has a built in fear towards humans especially in large groups. Also note there are plenty of game for the animals to hunt, so it is less likely they bother human settlements whether large or small. However the biggest problems for these people is basically the rest of the human species that live outside the jungle and now settling and bringing development within the rainforet, which is destroying our planet eco system. I cannot stress that enough.

I would understand that they should have developed means of handling attacks in the day time when they are awake. However, seeing how unprotected their settlements look, I'm curious about how safe they are at night when they sleep.

Have you watched the movie titled "The Ghost and the Darkness"?
Set in 1898, this movie is based on the true story of two lions in Africa that killed 35 people over a nine month period, while a bridge engineer and an experienced old hunter tried to kill them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116409/plotsummary
In the movie, railway construction workers were seized and eaten by 2 lions. Attacks happened mostly at night when the workers retire to their tent to sleep.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by MisterG: 2:35am On Aug 20, 2014
uken73:

I would understand that they should have developed means of handling attacks in the day time when they are awake. However, seeing how unprotected their settlements look, I'm curious about how safe they are at night when they sleep.

Have you watched the movie titled "The Ghost and the Darkness"?

In the movie, railway construction workers were seized and eaten by 2 lions. Attacks happened mostly at night when the workers retire to their tent to sleep.

That is a good question, however these people since they live in the forest i reckoned they are more in-tune to their envoirnment in comparison to the example you given in Africa. For example these people worship some of these animals as gods, so they have a better understanding of them, and i a idea where to set up camp or small settlements.

There even a contacted tribe called the jaguar in the Amazon. They are called the Matis people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matis

They understand the jungle along with the animals in ways outsiders don't understand, what they have problems with most of the time is so called civilize people, who is far more unpredictable than wild animals.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 9:04am On Aug 20, 2014
@MisterG, you seem to know so much about these people. Thanks for the info, I've learnt a lot.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by pleep(m): 5:06am On Aug 21, 2014
uken73:
If mosquitoes exists in that forest, I wonder how they would cope. I'm so shocked to know that people live like this in this age.
How do they even handle the cold weather without clothing? How do those kids especially new born babies cope with the cold. It really baffles me.

I misspoke when i said they "dont suffer from disease" what i meant to say is they haven't been exposed to regular diseases like flu, chicken pox, cough etc. They are still the victim of tropicial illnesses and infections like malaria

As you can imagine the infant mortality rate is very high, which is the reason their populations are so small. As for temperature, its the jungle, it does't get cold
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by pleep(m): 5:07am On Aug 21, 2014
Im pretty sure someone found an article about an unclad tribe in nigeria itself can u believe it?
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by pleep(m): 5:12am On Aug 21, 2014
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 10:09am On Aug 21, 2014
pleep:

I misspoke when i said they "dont suffer from disease" what i meant to say is they haven't been exposed to regular diseases like flu, chicken pox, cough etc. They are still the victim of tropicial illnesses and infections like malaria

As you can imagine the infant mortality rate is very high, which is the reason their populations are so small. As for temperature, its the jungle, it does't get cold
Ok. But the bolded sounds odd. Any reason why a jungle won't be cold?
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 11:02am On Aug 21, 2014
pleep: http://www.rhipplemedia.com/2012/05/unclothed-culture-out-of-adamawa.html
Wow, I once heard there were such in Nigeria, but I didn't belief it.
This world is so deep. There's still a lot to be learnt about this world.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by MisterG: 5:00pm On Aug 21, 2014
uken73:
Ok. But the bolded sounds odd. Any reason why a jungle won't be cold?

Here is your answer.

http://www.unique-southamerica-travel-experience.com/amazon-rainforest-climate.html
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by uken73(m): 6:05pm On Aug 21, 2014
MisterG:

Here is your answer.

http://www.unique-southamerica-travel-experience.com/amazon-rainforest-climate.html

Average temperature of 27 degrees Celsius, with some instances being as low as 22 degrees Celsius. That looks cold to me, especially for the kids. And it rains all year round. I appreciate the link.
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by tomholly: 7:44pm On Mar 31, 2016
wow.unbelievable
Re: Completely Unclad People of the 21st Century: The Zo'é Tribe (Pics & Videos) by Zoe99(f): 8:48am On Apr 01, 2016
I love their skin tone.How do they survive when it's cold?

(1) (Reply)

The Days Of The Week In Nigerian Languages And Their Meanings. / Photos From 83rd Birthday Of Gabriel Igbinedion, The Esama Of Benin / US Honors Eze Chukwuemeka Eri With Sept 23 2018 As Eze Eri Day In Lexington

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.