Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,093 members, 7,821,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Governor Fashola Gives A Formal Speech On Ebola Situation In Lagos - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Governor Fashola Gives A Formal Speech On Ebola Situation In Lagos (1141 Views)

Photos: Governor Fashola Hosts Some Ebola Survivors / President Jonathan, Fashola, Sambo Use Hand Sanitizer During Meeting On Ebola / Jonathan Declares National Emergency On Ebola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Governor Fashola Gives A Formal Speech On Ebola Situation In Lagos by shogz89: 7:19pm On Aug 18, 2014
This is for those that are not really a big fan of listening to radios, or are too busy for it, Governor Fashola today gave a 10mins speech on the Ebola issue... I will really love you guyz to read through cos usually Nigerians don't like reading.. I write and I quote

"Good morning my fellow Lagosians
As you must now be aware that we are facing perhaps our biggest challenge to public health and the safety of human life sat this moment with the discovery of the EBOLA VIRUS in our state.
This poses a threat to our primary purpose of our government which is to save lifes. This address has become necessary to respond to a series of text messages emails and telephone calls that I have received in other to reiterate some of the things you may already know, to share information about what you may not know, and to keep everybody safe.
It has become more so in the light of an allegation that has been making the rounds either that the victims are been neglected or a useful drug or vaccine is been rejected, or that there is shortage of funds. I wish to state categorically that none of this is true.
What is true is that we should perhaps never have been in the situation but we are now in it, what is true is that the Ebola virus did not brake out from within Nigeria but was imported into Nigeria. What is true is that we have followed all contacts that we know we have our primary and secondary contacts with the patients who imported the virus into our state or with people who have had contacts with him. Because we had to react to an unexpected situation, we had to react in a proper and methodical way according to acceptable global health standard. I can now tell you that in the last one week, with the help and advice of our technical partners such as WHO, CENTRE for Disease control and medicine sound frontiers who have tracked this virus and studied it for decades. Our response is a lot better than when the news first broke and our capacity is increasing daily. Although we have suffered very painful losses of lifes but I think it is fair to say that we are not yet at an epidemic stage and we are determined to do everything not to get to that stage because of the great consequences to the safety of human lifes.
We have provided information to the public on all state owned medias while the private media have commendably joined in this efforts. There is also information available on the social media platforms.
Since Monday last week precisely 11th of August 2014, I commenced meeting on an almost daily basis with our stakeholders in our society. Religious leaders, traditional rulers, market men and women, community development associations to brief them of the risk to assure them that we are gaining control to advise them and all of you to be conscious but not to panic.
My view of the fact that we are gaining control is informed by a very viable fact that I receive daily from our health workers that all of the cases of those who have either unfortunately died or those who are sick and those who are under contact surveillance are directly traceable to the one imported case.
There is also now news that a confirmed victim has fully recovered which reinforces the advice from our expert that the Ebola is not an automatic death sentence. This is an encouraging news from which our containment strategies can profit greatly because it means that we do not have any case of unknown origin which could possibly raise the risk of an epidemic.
Dear lagosians, the challenge of managing the Ebola is big but our resolve to contain and defeat it is even bigger. That resolve is shown by the courage shown by the first set of health workers and the state and federal levels who stood to be counted and the leadership of state and federal ministry of health with the support of our international partners. In spite of fear they stood up to be counted at the time of great danger we should salute their courage, professionalism, patriotism and humanitarian disposition. Indeed they are the heros and heroines we have long look for, I can not thank them enough.
While we are doing everything to assure their safety and to give them confidence to proceed I want to personally appeal that we must not do anything that will distract or demotivate them. What they need now is our encouragement and support to gain even stronger control of the situation. What they do not need are rumours and distractions that they can bring with them.
I appreciate the anxiety and concerns of friends and relatives of sick victims must be going through. I assure you that our thoughts and prayers are with you and the victims. I understand you want special care for your loved ones, indeed this is to be expected but I assure you they are receiving the best care that the expert have recommended for us given the circumstances because they feel that this is the best way to proceed especially because experienced personnel in Ebola containment and management have always been a challenge. What will be helpful to this situation now is additional medical personnel who are willing to volunteer to join those that are on the front line. But the expert also cautioned that those who sign up now cannot immediately start to participate in the isolation ward where sick people are been treated no matter how qualified and experienced that person may be. They are expected to undergo few days of training by an international body of adviser and undertake the protocol for operation in the isolation ward for their own safety and the sustainance of the containment plan to stop the virus from spreading
To those who are seeking to do brisk business from this situation, I offer a word of caution and re-assessment 'this is not our way' I must also say to those that seek to raising funds that we appreciate your concerns but we are not yet at a fund raising stage and I cannot forsee that eventuality immediate.
For now, the state has enough resources to fund everything that is needed, this is what your taxes can do in emergencies and our house of assembly has thankfully approved a request for any needed expenditure.
president Dr Goodluck ebele Jonathan and the Honourable minister for health has shown the appropriate level of concern about the national and global risk that this poses and I am sure that they will provide funds should we be unable to do so when we ask for it.
The combined team of state and federal personnel, our international partners are really sharing the information with the public and the federal government about the status of patients and contacts in a transparent way and we should all please listen to them. They are the one who have the facts. What all of us must do is to follow the advice especially about reporting suspected cases and keeping personal hygiene by constantly washing our hands with soap and water. We should also stop unhygienic process like urinating and dedicating in the public because those are body fluid and waste through which the virus is known to drive.
This new week starting from today, and the next one will be the sharpest part of the curve that we expect to negotiate. Last week, we cleared the total of 61 contacts after the 21 days surveillance which is the the known life span of the virus. This people where not sick, they were people who needed to be monitored because of real or suspected contact in other to be certain that they did not eventually fall sick.
We cautiously wait to see how many more people will be cleared and hope that there will be no new cases. Nevertheless our strategy is to prepare for the worse by making plans to expand the facilities to take any new cases while we hope for the best. There is a lot to do, we need your collaboration to remain focus on containment and treatment.
Finally, I will like to say that this is the first time the virus has infected people in an urban centre, it is a call for everybody. But it present a huge opportunity for us as a people to show the world how to overcome it. With your support and understanding we will do no less because we intend to overcome and defeat this virus.
I thank you all for listening. God bless you. Eko o ni baje ""

With this speech I am filled with confidence that Nigeria will overcome this outbreak sooner than we expect if we all join hands together.
Re: Governor Fashola Gives A Formal Speech On Ebola Situation In Lagos by shogz89: 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
Mod Please move to front page the purpose of all
Re: Governor Fashola Gives A Formal Speech On Ebola Situation In Lagos by Dreal1247: 7:49pm On Aug 18, 2014
Sooner than imagined, ebola will vanish from Nigeria. Like if you agree with me.

(1) (Reply)

Does Vaseline Bleach? / Horrible Photos: See What Happened To A Lady Who Slept With Her Earphone On / Himalayan Salt!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.