Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,742 members, 7,809,841 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:50 PM

How Best To Start Haulage Business - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How Best To Start Haulage Business (9464 Views)

Invest Your Money Wise On Haulage Business / Which Bank Is The Best To Bank With In Nigeria? / How Best To Invest N150,000 In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Best To Start Haulage Business by lexyking(m): 5:11am On Aug 20, 2014
Hi guys, please I need your advice on the best way to start a haulage business, I want to know which is better is it tipper, trailer or tanker? And how do I get driver for it and on what terms.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by emmaoanidu(m): 10:16pm On Aug 20, 2014
Get a tipper for sand or a truck for food items. I think these two are better in terms of returns and maintenance. Carry out your feasibility thoroughly to avoid surprises. I wish you favor.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by justayo: 9:57pm On Sep 01, 2014
@detops like how much can someone use to start considering dis harsh economic condition in nigeria.Thanks

1 Like

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Adeyemiopemipo(m): 10:08pm On Sep 01, 2014
invest in importation business. It's not as capital intensive as you have been made to believe
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Nobody: 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
justayo: @detops like how much can someone use to start considering dis harsh economic condition in nigeria.Thanks
. Not really that much, but it depend on how many trucks u want to start with. Like me, i have 3 trucks.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by sdavirus: 9:39am On Sep 22, 2014
detops: . Not really that much, but it depend on how many trucks u want to start with. Like me, i have 3 trucks.

You said something without actually saying anything. Figures, estimates, would help

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by tonzo(m): 10:41am On Sep 22, 2014
Finance partners needed to run an existing chipping haulage lpo worth 4500tons from auchi to patani.07032537443
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 23, 2014
sdavirus:

You said something without actually saying anything. Figures, estimates, would help
actualy, starting with a truck will cost u N5M and u can now be toping it gradually
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by sdavirus: 2:40pm On Sep 24, 2014
detops: actualy, starting with a truck will cost u N5M and u can now be toping it gradually

That's more like it. Thanks on behalf of everyone. Cheers

2 Likes

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by realy2: 2:04am On Sep 28, 2014
Mr zonto what's d cost of executing the Lpo, how long to conclude and anticipated return.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by gr8david(m): 3:37pm On Sep 29, 2014
it depends on ur location, if u are in Lokoja like me, tipper or truck is good, because construction of buildings n goods to n fro Obajana cement, timber to Lagos, Kano n other places. u can start with @least 3m contact me on 08068644710
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by jam04(m): 3:14pm On Oct 02, 2014
if you are based in Lagos or Ogun state, dump truck for granite haulage is the best. cool returns on investment with low risk. thats what we do.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by stechi(m): 11:20pm On Oct 02, 2014
20ft covered trucks ideal for loading biscuits are available but I need to get a reliable contact in any of these FMCG companies to enable me strike a deal with them because I consider it a safe and less risky strategy to make money with these trucks.
Incase any of you have ideas on how to actualise this business, please drop your ideas lets all share.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by lukman22: 8:00pm On Oct 10, 2014
I had a pathetic story on this houlage biz,thou am nt given up yet. I bought a 30ton 10tyer open bucket truck last year ( july 2013).fairly used from Minna,Niger state.the first month after fixing the recommended problems on the truck with total servicing and the driver started work it knocked Engine at benin on there way from Abakaliki to lagos with full load. Was towed to mechanic after handover,d crankshaft were cut from standard to 10 and all d nessacery parts changed .After 3days of running the Engine at the workshop,dey set out for work and it knocked again.so I got angry and bought a direct Belgium Engine and d engine wahala stopped. Then comes the issue of over heating and the truck keep shuttling down to mechanic for correction.wen we had it fixed,the axale starts it own.had it fixed and compressor,power steering starts. After all these,tyer blowout starts. I changed almost 6tyers in 2months.And don't 4get,all this problems cost thousands of money even a small bolt is nt less than 1k.But I still believe there is still a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. For a month Nw,things seems yo have stablise a bit.No major stories Nw. Still hoping for Gud.So what I have to say abt trucking biz is that,it does not go the way it was planned sometimes.but wen things click,u can male gud money from it. I have a dream of increasing the fleet to 4 b4 Dec 2017. Make una wish me luck oooo cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Heleex: 11:18pm On Oct 11, 2014
lukman22:
I had a pathetic story on this houlage biz,thou am nt given up yet. I bought a 30ton 10tyer open bucket truck last year ( july 2013).fairly used from Minna,Niger state.the first month after fixing the recommended problems on the truck with total servicing and the driver started work it knocked Engine at benin on there way from Abakaliki to lagos with full load. Was towed to mechanic after handover,d crankshaft were cut from standard to 10 and all d nessacery parts changed .After 3days of running the Engine at the workshop,dey set out for work and it knocked again.so I got angry and bought a direct Belgium Engine and d engine wahala stopped. Then comes the issue of over heating and the truck keep shuttling down to mechanic for correction.wen we had it fixed,the axale starts it own.had it fixed and compressor,power steering starts. After all these,tyer blowout starts. I changed almost 6tyers in 2months.And don't 4get,all this problems cost thousands of money even a small bolt is nt less than 1k.But I still believe there is still a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. For a month Nw,things seems yo have stablise a bit.No major stories Nw. Still hoping for Gud.So what I have to say abt trucking biz is that,it does not go the way it was planned sometimes.but wen things click,u can male gud money from it. I have a dream of increasing the fleet to 4 b4 Dec 2017. Make una wish me luck oooo cheesy
Every business has risk(s), some may be less while some may be more. It's the ability manage business risks properly that often culminate into success. Do you manage the truck yourself?

1 Like

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by lukman22: 9:27am On Oct 12, 2014
@Helex.yes,am d one managing it.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 14, 2014
lukman22:
@Helex.yes,am d one managing it.

How much is this truck( direct Belgium)and how much is the return per week if somebody wants to buy and give you to manage.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Midecuc(m): 4:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
Buying truck is not the only transportation business you can do. Instead of truck you can also buy a luxury car or jeep for rental services, is very lucrative and it doesn't wahalla like trucks and is easy to monitor, you can use it for years without spending so much money on spear part. If you need enlightenment about this you can contact me; BB, 2B392650
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Midecuc(m): 4:20pm On Oct 14, 2014
Buying truck is not the only transportation business you can do. Instead of truck you can also buy a luxury car or jeep for rental services, is very lucrative and it doesn't wahalla like trucks and is easy to monitor, you can use it for years without spending so much money on spear part. If you need enlightenment about this you can contact me; BB, 2B392650 or olunet4@yahoo.com
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Tinyemeka(m): 9:30am On Oct 17, 2014
lukman22:
I had a pathetic story on this houlage biz,thou am nt given up yet. I bought a 30ton 10tyer open bucket truck last year ( july 2013).fairly used from Minna,Niger state.the first month after fixing the recommended problems on the truck with total servicing and the driver started work it knocked Engine at benin on there way from Abakaliki to lagos with full load. Was towed to mechanic after handover,d crankshaft were cut from standard to 10 and all d nessacery parts changed .After 3days of running the Engine at the workshop,dey set out for work and it knocked again.so I got angry and bought a direct Belgium Engine and d engine wahala stopped. Then comes the issue of over heating and the truck keep shuttling down to mechanic for correction.wen we had it fixed,the axale starts it own.had it fixed and compressor,power steering starts. After all these,tyer blowout starts. I have a dream of increasing the fleet to 4 b4 Dec 2017. Make una wish me luck oooo cheesy

Maybe that's why the Minna people sold off the truck to you?

Pls what types of goods can you movr from Abakaliki to Lag? Is it steady?
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by lukman22: 1:14pm On Oct 17, 2014
@Tinyemeka. I knew were d problem is from. I did nt do very in depth research on buying a used truck.so I was financially down after buying and fixing the little faults I could handle with d little money left on me.First,a used truck needs a total overhaul,all the mechanical/moving parts checked( I.e axles,bearings,compressors,gear,springs,crankshaft,piston,rings etc).and also all the used tyer changed. This is because,you dnt knw how d former owner used the truck,whether he is doing proper maintenance as at wen due and how long d tyer hz bn used.had it bn I did this,I would nt HV experience this. I felt,i suppose to hv planned in excess so i will hv enough to put the truck in shape after buying it.And dont 4get the is a heavy duty truck that carries heavy load.So I hv learnt my lesson on d job.Don't think it will happen again wen nxt I chose to buy a used truck. Though I HV set my eye on direct used truck from overseas nxt time am buying a truck and hz to b a 12tyer truck. grin grin
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 17, 2014
lukman22:
@Tinyemeka. I knew were d problem is from. I did nt do very in depth research on buying a used truck.so I was financially down after buying and fixing the little faults I could handle with d little money left on me.First,a used truck needs a total overhaul,all the mechanical/moving parts checked( I.e axles,bearings,compressors,gear,springs,crankshaft,piston,rings etc).and also all the used tyer changed. This is because,you dnt knw how d former owner used the truck,whether he is doing proper maintenance as at wen due and how long d tyer hz bn used.had it bn I did this,I would nt HV experience this. I felt,i suppose to hv planned in excess so i will hv enough to put the truck in shape after buying it.And dont 4get the is a heavy duty truck that carries heavy load.So I hv learnt my lesson on d job.Don't think it will happen again wen nxt I chose to buy a used truck. Though I HV set my eye on direct used truck from overseas nxt time am buying a truck and hz to b a 12tyer truck. grin grin

I asked you a question and still waiting?
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by lukman22: 7:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
The truck is a fairly used .imported by the previous owner 2008.I Bought it off from the owner @ 4.2 million last year JUNE 2013.the turn around is minimum of 250k in 2weeks and maximum of 300k.Hope i have answered your question?

allen0000:

I asked you a question and still waiting?
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Nobody: 7:07pm On Oct 17, 2014
lukman22:
The truck is a fairly used .imported by the previous owner 2008.I Bought it off from the owner @ 4.2 million last year JUNE 2013.the turn around is minimum of 250k in 2weeks and maximum of 300k.Hope i have answered your question?

So if I want to buy a toks of this, how much will it cost and if ur to manage it how much will you be giving per week
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by lukman22: 7:08pm On Oct 17, 2014
Tinyemeka:

Maybe that's why the Minna people sold off the truck to you?

Pls what types of goods can you movr from Abakaliki to Lag? Is it steady?

Some mineral resources.They called it ( otanjele by drivers) i dont really know what exact.is not all that steady,but my driver always take off from there because his family recides their.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 17, 2014
@lukman. tell us abt haulage biz. did u register with any coy or park?
how did u get d driver?

i heard one of my top oga in d office has abt 100 trucks and i keep imagining howhe runs it. D man resigned last year .
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by lukman22: 7:53pm On Oct 17, 2014
allen0000:

So if I want to buy a toks of this, how much will it cost and if ur to manage it how much will you be giving per week

the last time i checked, u can get a direct toks from €24000 up.then consider shiping and clearing.so about 7mill with buy you gud one.
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by Tinyemeka(m): 9:37am On Oct 20, 2014
lukman22:
@Tinyemeka. I knew were d problem is from. I did nt do very in depth research on buying a used truck.so I was financially down after buying and fixing the little faults I could handle with d little money left on me.First,a used truck needs a total overhaul,all the mechanical/moving parts checked( I.e axles,bearings,compressors,gear,springs,crankshaft,piston,rings etc).and also all the used tyer changed. This is because,you dnt knw how d former owner used the truck,whether he is doing proper maintenance as at wen due and how long d tyer hz bn used.had it bn I did this,I would nt HV experience this.

It's not that easy though. It's true when you say total overhaul because one cannot know the issues with the vehicle before the previous owners decided to sell.

My cousin even bought direct tokumbo at Cotonou and was using the truck for intra-city haulage within Abuja. Exactly as you just described. First it started with the body being weak; they had to reinforce it. Then the major one was the engine. It knocked after just 1 month of use. Then the tyres. Infact after buying a truck these days, it's like one must set aside extra funds for the tyres and engine.

But once one has resolved those issues, it should be smooth sailing from there by God's grace. I'm still saving and planning. Hopefully mid-next year. smiley

1 Like

Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by lukman22: 11:59am On Oct 20, 2014
Tinyemeka:

It's not that easy though. It's true when you say total overhaul because one cannot know the issues with the vehicle before the previous owners decided to sell.

My cousin even bought direct tokumbo at Cotonou and was using the truck for intra-city haulage within Abuja. Exactly as you just described. First it started with the body being weak; they had to reinforce it. Then the major one was the engine. It knocked after just 1 month of use. Then the tyres. Infact after buying a truck these days, it's like one must set aside extra funds for the tyres and engine.

But once one has resolved those issues, it should be smooth sailing from there by God's grace. I'm still saving and planning. Hopefully mid-next year. smiley
Yes you are right here.i have a friend who is into this haulage biz.He has up to 16 funtional trucks till date. He used to buy used truck and it takes his mechanic noting in dismantling the whole truck to piece by piece. He adviced then that I shld do a total overhaul like he use to do.Also my mechanics advice the same but due to financial constraint,I chosed the easy way out.like I said previously,I have learnt my lesson and am very much prepared for future .Gud luck in your plan nxt yr
Re: How Best To Start Haulage Business by sabawex(m): 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2014
we manage trucks with open bucket predominantly for haulage of granite stones we pay good return to owners base on the condition of the truck and work capacity you can reach us on 08176126858, 08037722526

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Can I Get My Money From African Alliance Insurance Company? / Investment Guidelines / Which Lucrative Business Can I Start With 500k?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.