Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,013 members, 7,821,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:52 PM

Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? (1684 Views)

Building A Word Scramble Game With Javascript (text Based) / Vconnect Is Da 38th Top Site In Naija But Only 50k Ppl Have Downloaded It's App / My Flash Movies Are Blocked By Browsers. Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 11:04am On Aug 20, 2014
Im curious to know how many people use text based browsers and to know how many don't and why.

I've created an app that filters unwanted ads, pictures, colorful text and I've been able to save 80-90% on data usage, which has led me to have my plan last longer and thus it saves me money. In my 1st pdf file below, I used text based browsing to surf NL Homepage and it used only 122kb. When I used the same NL Homepage on a regular browser (without text based browsing) like GC (Google Chrome), IE (Internet Explorer) or MF (Mozilla Firefox) I ended up using 259.2kb. Now that's just on the homepage, imagine what will happen as I continue to browse more sites.

I also have screen shots below. The 2nd screenshot displays NL (without text based browsing) - this screenshot was about 333.1 kb. Compare that with the 1st screenshot which is NL (with text based browsing but formatted the same way) - the screenshot was only 184.6 kb. Now remember these are just screenshots, imagine what will happen if I really downloaded the source code. I suggest that we all use text based browsers in order to save money and data, or what do you think?

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 11:07am On Aug 20, 2014
Here is another screenshot with just NL using text based browsing, but without formatting, images. Just plain text.

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by cirmuell(m): 11:27am On Aug 20, 2014
smiley Nice idea, but what's a wep page without image.

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 11:29am On Aug 20, 2014
cirmuell: smiley Nice idea, but what's a wep page without image.

Probably an email. I feel you but internet is expensive. If you want to go online to get info, then we might as well get info that we need. Not just a bunch of ads, here and there that take up our data usage.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by cirmuell(m): 11:46am On Aug 20, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Probably an email. I feel you but internet is expensive. If you want to go online to get info, then we might as well get info that we need. Not just a bunch of ads, here and there that take up our data usage.
most browsers have a way to disable images or better still reduce the quality. Which you can toggle at will, I'm guessing your's is preset.

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 11:49am On Aug 20, 2014
cirmuell: most browsers have a way to disable images or better still reduce the quality. Which you can toggle at will, I'm guessing your's is preset.

Im using GC and I dont see a place whereby I can remove images or colors or even ads. What browser are you using and can you toggle yours? Also when you toggle it to show only text based, does it mean that your data will still be charged/used for downloading it to your browser but not showing it, or will you not be charged/used at all?
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by cirmuell(m): 12:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Im using GC and I dont see a place whereby I can remove images or colors or even ads. What browser are you using and can you toggle yours? Also when you toggle it to show only text based, does it mean that your data will still be charged/used for downloading it to your browser but not showing it, or will you not be charged/used at all?
I haven't used GC And i do most of my web surfing on mobile devices browser apps. But however, I'm sure most internet browsers like IE, MOZILA and even Opera Mini have a place to toggle this settings.

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 12:09pm On Aug 20, 2014
cirmuell: I haven't used GC And i do most of my web surfing on mobile devices browser apps. But however, I'm sure most internet browsers like IE, MOZILA and even Opera Mini have a place to toggle this settings.

ok. Thanks for telling.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by cirmuell(m): 12:43pm On Aug 20, 2014
davidsmith8900:

ok. Thanks for telling.
you're welcome

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Djtm(m): 2:30am On Aug 21, 2014
Not sure about images but on recent browsers, you can't even disable javascript.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Barywhyte(m): 9:38am On Aug 21, 2014
On the current version of mozilla at the upper right corner of it, there is a small rectangular box that allow you to toggle between enabling and disabling images on the browser. Better still, google is there to help you out. One thing I discovered is that browsing in Ubuntu or any Linux distro saves data better than windows. #my-observation tho
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by asalimpo(m): 11:00am On Aug 21, 2014
because a picture is wrth a thousand wrds and sometimes ppl dont care abt price or are ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 2:40pm On Aug 21, 2014
Djtm: Not sure about images but on recent browsers, you can't even disable javascript.

Hmmm. So wouldn't that be beneficial to people. Or is it that people don't care? I've noticed the same thing.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 2:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
asalimpo: because a picture is wrth a thousand wrds and sometimes ppl dont care abt price or are ignorant.

Yeah I was thinking the same. But then when internet is expensive, wouldn't u try to make the most use of it or would u rather just waste your money? Also does 0.facebook.com work for anyone? I mean Facebook Zero. Some people claim that Facebook Zero doesn't work for them.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 2:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
Barywhyte: On the current version of mozilla at the upper right corner of it, there is a small rectangular box that allow you to toggle between enabling and disabling images on the browser. Better still, google is there to help you out. One thing I discovered is that browsing in Ubuntu or any Linux distro saves data better than windows. #my-observation tho

Which MF (Mozilla Firefox) are you using? On my MF, on the upper right corner, there is nothing on it. Im using MF on a desktop, are you using MF on a mobile-device or smartphone?
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Barywhyte(m): 3:53pm On Aug 21, 2014
toshodei:

Which MF (Mozilla Firefox) are you using? On my MF, on the upper right corner, there is nothing on it. Im using MF on a desktop, are you using MF on a mobile-device or smartphone?

The latest version. Thats 31.0. Just check their website and download it. And no am not on mobile. PC

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 4:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
Barywhyte:

The latest version. Thats 31.0. Just check their website and download it. And no am not on mobile. PC

Ok thanks, I will. By the way, how many of you can access 0.facebook.com?
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Barywhyte(m): 5:02pm On Aug 21, 2014
toshodei:

Ok thanks, I will. By the way, how many of you can access 0.facebook.com?

OK. i CAN ACCESS IT. ON PC TOO

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 5:05pm On Aug 21, 2014
Barywhyte:

OK. i CAN ACCESS IT. ON PC TOO

Its free for you then, right? Like zero data charges? Is it free? Because someone told me he couldn't access it and that his mobile carrier isn't allowed. So I dont know who to believe.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Barywhyte(m): 5:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
toshodei:

Its free for you then, right? Like zero data charges? Is it free? Because someone told me he couldn't access it and that his mobile carrier isn't allowed. So I dont know who to believe.

Not really sure if its free but I think it is.. Someone on mobile can quickly determine that. Pictures are disabled tho and this is from MTN.

I think its free

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 7:32pm On Aug 21, 2014
Barywhyte:

Not really sure if its free but I think it is.. Someone on mobile can quickly determine that. Pictures are disabled tho and this is from MTN.

I think its free

Yes thank you. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your time and patience.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 7:36pm On Aug 21, 2014
Barywhyte:

I think its free

Do u know what this means. This means that 9jerians/Africans and people all over the world can get access to most information.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by toshodei: 7:39pm On Aug 21, 2014
toshodei:

Do u know what this means. This means that 9jerians/Africans and people all over the world can get access to most information.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 8:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
I dont think I can access 0.facebook.com. How many people can?
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Djtm(m): 9:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
Barywhyte:

I'm using firefox 31.0 nd can't find any box to disable images or javascript

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 9:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
Djtm:

Cool. Can you access 0.facebook.com (Facebook Zero)?
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Djtm(m): 9:23pm On Aug 21, 2014
davidsmith8900:
I dont think I can access 0.facebook.com. How many people can?
I can. It sucks. It shows you the mobile site with images disabled. I dunno if it's free 'cos I still have active suscription.

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 9:25pm On Aug 21, 2014
Djtm:
I can. It sucks. It shows you the mobile site with images disabled. I dunno if it's free 'cos I still have active suscription.

Yeah its free but if u access images then you will have to pay for data charges. Since it is free, I think that its good for many of us in which internet is too expensive, or what do u think?
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Djtm(m): 9:35pm On Aug 21, 2014
davidsmith8900:

Yeah its free but if u access images then you will have to pay for data charges. Since it is free, I think that its good for many of us in which internet is too expensive, or what do u think?
Well, I don't care about facebook. I woulda preferred 0.twitter.com

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by davidsmith8900: 9:37pm On Aug 21, 2014
Djtm:
Well, I don't care about facebook. I woulda preferred 0.twitter.com

Djtm, yeah I feel you but I think accessing twitter from facebook is very much possible. The only concern might be security or fear of hacking.
Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Barywhyte(m): 9:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
toshodei:

Your welcome bro. Yea thats true

1 Like

Re: Y Don't Ppl Use Text Based Browsers 4 Saving Data/Money (My Research On NL)? by Barywhyte(m): 9:45pm On Aug 21, 2014
Djtm:

Maybe you should do a bit of googling. I have the box just here on my mozilla. Disabling images is just a click away. I cant remember if I did this myself

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Restore/recover A Java Tutorial I Mistakenly Deleted / Some Of The Most Challenging Technologies For Newbie Programmers / Top 10 Hacking Books 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.