Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,062 members, 7,825,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS (8758 Views)

I’ve No Apology Kneeling To Worship God – Ooni / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala / Check Out How Ondo People Are Appeasing The Gods For The Epidemic Disease (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by StevinMorgan(m): 7:56pm On Aug 21, 2014
As odd as it may sound to people who aren’t familiar with any other religion apart from Christianity or Islam, there are communities in Nigeria that place snakes as their gods.

such communities where residents still regard python as one of their gods is Mgbidi, the headquarters of Oru West local government area of Imo State. Mgbidi is made up of eleven communities including Imeoha, Eziali, Umuekwe, Okwudor , Umuorji, Umuokpara, Umuehi , Umuabiahu, Uziaumu , Ihitte and Ugbele.

In a chat with one of the priests who identified himself as Ngozi Obiwuru, he boasted that no amount of civilization can change that part of their culture; worshipping of python. “Several churches have come to deliver this community but have failed to stop the worship of snakes.

I used to be a Christian before my father whom I inherited this job from died. I had to relocate to the village and learn the traditions of our people.

“If you mistakenly kill a snake, you will simply appease the gods or face the consequences. There was a particular case, the man called all kinds of pastors to pray for his family, at the end of the day he came to me and performed the sacrifice. It dawned on him that it was not a joke when his three kids died mysteriously.
“Several churches have been advised to stay away from that part of our religion. We welcome the fact that they have brought a lot of development in our area, but the fact remains that no one can force us to abandon what we believe in.”

To appease the gods, Obiwuru said: “It is very simple. The individual will buy a white coffin, white cock, goat and will come to the shrine for sacrifice. The coffin will be used to bury the snake. These snakes do not bite anyone; it is a sign of blessing if it chooses to visit your family at night. It is an honour to have a god in your home, just as the Christians rejoice when they spot an angel in their homes.

“One of my close relatives tried it. He came back from the city, and told me that he has just finished seven days fasting. To try the potency of his prayers, he said would kill as many pythons as he could lay his hands on. He actually went to the bush to find one. Today, my brother is dead and buried and no one can explain what happened to him.”

Just as he claimed that python is a sacred animal, Obiwuru also warned visitors to steer clear of Obana River. “It is a taboo for an indigene or visitor to kill a fish in the river. If a visitor unknowingly takes it away, he or she will not be affected.
PICTURE TAGS

*The god of snake with hair and snake.
*The great snake sleeping in the shrine

Source: The Sun

Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by 20bc(m): 8:33pm On Aug 21, 2014
yea this is true... my mother once told me this..
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Nobody: 9:09pm On Aug 21, 2014
God help us.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by chimerase2: 9:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
cheesy
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Ignatio(m): 9:25pm On Aug 21, 2014
That's one scary python.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Mynd44: 9:30pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ignatio: That's one scary python.
That's not a python
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Ignatio(m): 9:36pm On Aug 21, 2014
Mynd44:
That's not a python

What's it?
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Howmanage: 9:40pm On Aug 21, 2014
shocked Thats a very big snake!
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Mynd44: 9:46pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ignatio:

What's it?
Don't know don't care...but that ain't a python...

An anaconda maybe
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by bablononi(m): 9:58pm On Aug 21, 2014
Mynd44:

An anaconda maybe
its a python
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by hatux: 10:09pm On Aug 21, 2014
See meat...chai*lick lips*
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Mynd44: 10:12pm On Aug 21, 2014
bablononi: its a python
This is a python

Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by deeobserver209(m): 10:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
I always thought India was the only place where snakes are worshipped.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by 50calibre(m): 10:56pm On Aug 21, 2014
Mynd44:
An anaconda maybe

Mynd44:
That's not a python

Mynd44:
This is a python

Ignorance is a disease, you don't know something, yet you're arguing.

Anacondas are South American snakes which spend most of their time in water, they have no business in West Africa.

FYI there are different python species, that snake right there is a python, probably an African rock python as they are the only python species in Africa which grow that big.

Stick to the romance section, that's where suits your talent.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Mynd44: 11:21pm On Aug 21, 2014
50calibre:

Ignorance is a disease, you don't know something, yet you're arguing.

Anacondas are South American snakes which spend most of their time in water, they have no business in West Africa.

FYI there are different python species, that snake right there is a python, probably an African rock python as they are the only python species in Africa which grow that big.

Stick to the romance section, that's where suits your talent.

How is the vegetation of south american and that of south west Africa different? Are you trying to tell me that anacondas don't exist in this part of the world?
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by 50calibre(m): 11:45pm On Aug 21, 2014
Mynd44:
How is the vegetation of south american and that of south west Africa different? Are you trying to tell me that anacondas don't exist in this part of the world?

Anacondas are peculiar to South America, haven't heard of them being in Africa & if they are, then they are in the very very tiny minority.

The vegetations of South America & that of west Africa differ. There are lots of factors like food sources, temperature, humidity, rainfall et al which comes into play.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by thunderrider: 12:14am On Aug 22, 2014
Snakes are also treated in similar manner in

Anambra (mbosi in ihiala lga) to be precise!
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Tawis06(m): 12:21am On Aug 22, 2014
I hate snakes
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by segedamus(m): 12:36am On Aug 22, 2014
hatux: See meat...chai*lick lips*
God help us
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Leetunechi: 12:38am On Aug 22, 2014
People still live in the dark
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Nobody: 1:13am On Aug 22, 2014
Anything that suits a man.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Pvictor10(m): 1:45am On Aug 22, 2014
50calibre:

Anacondas are peculiar to South America, haven't heard of them being in Africa & if they are, then they are in the very very tiny minority.

The vegetations of South America & that of west Africa differ. There are lots of factors like food sources, temperature, humidity, rainfall et al which comes into play.

bros; South America and west Africa shares similar climates. Tropics!
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by landinfo: 2:00am On Aug 22, 2014
It'z surprising dat I haven't seen a tribal comment....still xpecting them as the thread goes on abi shey na Seun ni?....NL show ya colour & talent no more pretense abeg

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Nobody: 6:35am On Aug 22, 2014
StevinMorgan: As odd as it may sound to people who aren’t familiar with any other religion apart from Christianity or Islam, there are communities in Nigeria that place snakes as their gods.

such communities where residents still regard python as one of their gods is Mgbidi, the headquarters of Oru West local government area of Imo State. Mgbidi is made up of eleven communities including Imeoha, Eziali, Umuekwe, Okwudor , Umuorji, Umuokpara, Umuehi , Umuabiahu, Uziaumu , Ihitte and Ugbele.

In a chat with one of the priests who identified himself as Ngozi Obiwuru, he boasted that no amount of civilization can change that part of their culture; worshipping of python. “Several churches have come to deliver this community but have failed to stop the worship of snakes.

I used to be a Christian before my father whom I inherited this job from died. I had to relocate to the village and learn the traditions of our people.

“If you mistakenly kill a snake, you will simply appease the gods or face the consequences. There was a particular case, the man called all kinds of pastors to pray for his family, at the end of the day he came to me and performed the sacrifice. It dawned on him that it was not a joke when his three kids died mysteriously.
“Several churches have been advised to stay away from that part of our religion. We welcome the fact that they have brought a lot of development in our area, but the fact remains that no one can force us to abandon what we believe in.”

To appease the gods, Obiwuru said: “It is very simple. The individual will buy a white coffin, white cock, goat and will come to the shrine for sacrifice. The coffin will be used to bury the snake. These snakes do not bite anyone; it is a sign of blessing if it chooses to visit your family at night. It is an honour to have a god in your home, just as the Christians rejoice when they spot an angel in their homes.

“One of my close relatives tried it. He came back from the city, and told me that he has just finished seven days fasting. To try the potency of his prayers, he said would kill as many pythons as he could lay his hands on. He actually went to the bush to find one. Today, my brother is dead and buried and no one can explain what happened to him.”

Just as he claimed that python is a sacred animal, Obiwuru also warned visitors to steer clear of Obana River. “It is a taboo for an indigene or visitor to kill a fish in the river. If a visitor unknowingly takes it away, he or she will not be affected.
PICTURE TAGS

*The god of snake with hair and snake.
*The great snake sleeping in the shrine

Source: The Sun
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by TheBigUrban2: 7:12am On Aug 22, 2014
Mynd44:

Stick to romance section bro.

Anacondas are strictly in south America only.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by ojimbo(m): 7:20am On Aug 22, 2014
thunderrider: Snakes are also treated in similar manner in

Anambra (mbosi in ihiala lga) to be precise!
including Nnewi
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by finofaya: 8:09am On Aug 22, 2014
Interestingly, Igbo men here in KD get very apprehensive when a snake creeps into sight. "Na from village them send am" they say, while reaching for sizeable plank. undecided

They should know better
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Kx: 8:19am On Aug 22, 2014
The test of christianity is not to go about looking for snakes to kill to test how spiritually strong you are after a 7days prayer and fasting.
Me think that is foolishness.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Ruq: 8:37am On Aug 22, 2014
At least it's a religion.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by maestroferddi: 9:11am On Aug 22, 2014
The narrative was significantly exaggerated. The so-called snake worship/veneration is a dying practice in the area cited. The writer made it look as if the practice is still popular in the area.
Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by Krak(m): 9:30am On Aug 22, 2014
Mynd44:

Pls always do a little research before you comment on issues. What @50Calibre said is the fact and I have nothing to add.

That snake is a Python.

Anacondas are restricted to the Americas alone.

Thats a very well-known fact. Forget about similarity of climate or whatever. A fact is a fact.

Pls do not create a Storm in a Teacup over here, the weather here is calm enough and we are enjoying it.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Communities Worship Giant Pythons As Their Gods. PHOTOS by 1shortblackboy: 3:24am On Aug 25, 2014
Nembe people of bayelsa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ramadan Mubarak Wishes And Messages 2015 / History Of YAGBA Kogi State / 8. Odu Okanran Meji- Be Ready To Take Up Challenges.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.