Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,772 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up (21033 Views)

The Solemnnity Of Christ The King, All Catholics Please Stand Up!!! / Why Do Catholics Pray With The Rosary, And Bow To Mary's Statue? / Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 2:28pm On Nov 04, 2008
Oby1:

grin grin grin yes i wan find una mouth grin

ok oh, you go soon see am grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 2:52pm On Nov 04, 2008
Carlosein:

oby, who you want make e read all this long post?

abeg try edit small before seun go run out of space lipsrsealed

grin i have reduced it, make seun no crucify me  grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 3:39pm On Nov 04, 2008
Oby1:

grin i have reduced it, make seun no crucify me grin

that's my sis. always law abiding smiley grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Maykelly(f): 5:30pm On Nov 04, 2008
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up!

Good work from the moderator, and cordinator(s) of nairaland.

Thanks for returning this thread back! nice work, good ideal and love for all! smiley
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 8:47pm On Nov 04, 2008
is this the rule in the whole of the us or just some dioceses?

i know that the particular days of obligations differ from diocese to diocese and country to country.

but this is a new one for me

I believe it's the whole of US. because I travelled to another diocese and it was the same thing there and there's a heavy traditional Catholic population there.

I saw my God daughter for the first time, I will upload pic. Some people think she's my daughter. I uploaded pics on facebook and a friend congratulated me, lol.

I really want to be invested in the confraternity of our lady of Carmel Brown Scapular, but i don't know how to go about it.
I want to know everything about it, the prayers, the rule.

So lady and Carlos do you normally wear the brown scapular.

It's quite easy to join but I recommend it to those who are ready and willing to give up self for the Lord.

Here are the requirements:
1) To wear the scapular continuously
2) To be chaste in one's area of life (single or married)
3) To pray the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary or
With the permission of the priest to pray the rosary everyday or
Observe the fasts of the Church and abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays or
Do good works continuously, tirelessly.

(the above is from memory, so pls double check)

The first two have no substitutes.

I pray the Little Office because I already pray the rosary everyday anyway, and I try as much as I can to abstain from meat and ofcourse I do good works. For me the prayer is the one that can be difficult at times, it has seven hours to it and school and work sometimes gets in the way, but I make time.

To get invested, you have to buy a scapular, it must be wool, and then take it to a priest and tell him your intentions and during mass he'll invest you into it. It should come with paper that has all the instructions.

Mine came with a St. Benedict medal and a crucifix.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 8:58pm On Nov 04, 2008
lady, where r u off to?
DC?
say hi to Obama

No, Texas, George W. Bush's state.

I had a chance to see Obama when I was driving back and missed him. When I got home I saw that he was in the city I was driving from at the time I was driving.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 9:00pm On Nov 04, 2008
Hi Everybody,

For God and For Youth, Through Christ

This thread is amazing, i wish you guy will welcome me too,

You are very welcome
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 9:02pm On Nov 04, 2008
guys,
how are y'all all doing?
hope you had a wonderful weekend, given the great feasts we had over the weekend! it was GREAT for me!!!!

biko permit me to tender my humble apology for not showing up with my gist on Friday . . .
it's a clear case of man proposes and God disposes . . .
I was knocked down by malaria thursday evening, i couldn't even go to the office anymore as planned . . .
i had to struggle to attend mass Saturday and sunday . . .
i'm a lot berra though . . . probably because i was immediately bundled to bayelsa yesterday!
I'm back to my hectic work again . . .

ah! i can see that a lot of people want to hear my gist! wow! let me warn that it's not interesting oh! i couldn't see His Holiness! things didn't go as planned . . .
i'll still give you the gist shaa! i dey come! lol!

eya kpele, I am glad you're berra.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by LARRYMcCOY(m): 12:30am On Nov 05, 2008
For God and for Youth, through Christ,

@Carol

Am from the Sacred Heart Parish, Kajola. Ijebu Ode.

I must confess i love this thread.

@Everyone

Want to say a big THANK YOU to you all for welcoming me on this thread,

Glory to Jesus, Hounor to Mary
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by LARRYMcCOY(m): 1:40am On Nov 05, 2008
I will be glad to invite those you are in Ogun state environment to our Catholic Youth Faith Workshop @ Louisville Girls high school Itele usually comes up first weekend of every month.

You are all Welcome.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 9:39am On Nov 05, 2008
~Lady~:

I believe it's the whole of US. because I travelled to another diocese and it was the same thing there and there's a heavy traditional Catholic population there.

well this things happen, especially in the US.

let's hope our brother obama will help change things grin grin grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 9:55am On Nov 05, 2008
~Lady~:

I saw my God daughter for the first time, I will upload pic. Some people think she's my daughter. I uploaded pics on facebook and a friend congratulated me, lol.

congratulations too. can't wait to see pix.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 10:18am On Nov 05, 2008
~Lady~:

It's quite easy to join but I recommend it to those who are ready and willing to give up self for the Lord.

Observe the fasts of the Church and abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays or

(the above is from memory, so please double check)

I pray the Little Office because I already pray the rosary everyday anyway, and I try as much as I can to abstain from meat and ofcourse I do good works. For me the prayer is the one that can be difficult at times, it has seven hours to it and school and work sometimes gets in the way, but I make time.

To get invested, you have to buy a scapular, it must be wool, and then take it to a priest and tell him your intentions and during mass he'll invest you into it. It should come with paper that has all the instructions.

you are correct.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 10:32am On Nov 05, 2008
LARRYMcCOY:

For God and for Youth, through Christ,

@Carol

Am from the Sacred Heart Parish, Kajola. Ijebu Ode.

I must confess i love this thread.

@Everyone

Want to say a big THANK YOU to you all for welcoming me on this thread,

Glory to Jesus, Hounor to Mary

welcome once again.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 10:33am On Nov 05, 2008
LARRYMcCOY:

I will be glad to invite those you are in Ogun state environment to our Catholic Youth Faith Workshop @ Louisville Girls high school Itele usually comes up first weekend of every month.

You are all Welcome.

thanks. where is itele?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lindiwe(f): 1:58pm On Nov 05, 2008
hey people
hope say y'all are cool with me . . . nobody is vexing for me yet . . . lol
viee my personal person, sure you're cool grin grin grin

all obama supporters in the house like me and lady (lol) . . . congrats! our guy is tight!!!
we felicitate with him and commiserate with old pa maccain . . . lol . . . grin grin grin
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lindiwe(f): 2:06pm On Nov 05, 2008
@lady,
your practices are very similar to that of the confratanity of Mary, Queen of Hearts (the slaves of love) of which am a member- using St Louis Maria de Monfort's formular. . . only that you would have to go through the 33 day class (preparatory class) before you're enrolled. you are also invested with a scapular on the day of enrolment, and the saying of the little office (every 6hours) is also one of our exterior practices. It's more of an interior practice than exterior though, it's very NICE!!!!  wink cheesy wink
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 2:44pm On Nov 05, 2008
Wednesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Reading 1
Phil 2:12-18

My beloved, obedient as you have always been,
not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent,
work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
For God is the one who, for his good purpose,
works in you both to desire and to work.
Do everything without grumbling or questioning,
that you may be blameless and innocent,
children of God without blemish
in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,
among whom you shine like lights in the world,
as you hold on to the word of life,
so that my boast for the day of Christ may be
that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.
But, even if I am poured out as a libation
upon the sacrificial service of your faith,
I rejoice and share my joy with all of you.
In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.

Responsorial Psalm
Ps 27:1, 4, 13-14

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.
The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.
I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.

Gospel
Lk 14:25-33

Great crowds were traveling with Jesus,
and he turned and addressed them,
“If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother,
wife and children, brothers and sisters,
and even his own life,
he cannot be my disciple.
Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me
cannot be my disciple.
Which of you wishing to construct a tower
does not first sit down and calculate the cost
to see if there is enough for its completion?
Otherwise, after laying the foundation
and finding himself unable to finish the work
the onlookers should laugh at him and say,
‘This one began to build but did not have the resources to finish.’
Or what king marching into battle would not first sit down
and decide whether with ten thousand troops
he can successfully oppose another king
advancing upon him with twenty thousand troops?
But if not, while he is still far away,
he will send a delegation to ask for peace terms.
In the same way,
everyone of you who does not renounce all his possessions
cannot be my disciple.”
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by LARRYMcCOY(m): 3:09pm On Nov 05, 2008
@carl

Itele is after Ijebu-Ife, if you want to come, i can send you the addy,

Thank God for Senator Barack Obama,

Atleast we black can have a VISAS to United states.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by LARRYMcCOY(m): 3:16pm On Nov 05, 2008
The Holy Spirit in the Trinity and His Mission in the World by Rev. William G. Most

We already said the most essential things about the Holy Spirit in explaining the first article of the Creed. Let us add a few things here.

He makes holy the souls of the just by His presence. But a Spirit is not present in the sense of taking up space. We say a Spirit is present wherever it causes an effect. In the soul, the Holy Spirit transforms it, making it basically capable of taking in, after death, the infinite streams of knowledge and love that flow within the Holy Trinity. Thus we are really "sharers in the divine nature" (2 Peter 1:4). This is a dignity so great that any earthly honor is insignificant beside it.

He comes with his Seven Gifts. These make the soul capable of taking in the special lights and inspirations He sends in a much higher way than what is had in ordinary graces. We do not notice much of any effects from these Gifts until we have advanced rather far in the spiritual life, for great docility and purity of heart are needed.

On Pentecost the Holy Spirit came down visibly on the Apostles. He gave them the power to speak in strange tongues to the crowds that came to Jerusalem for that Feast. He also transformed them, from selfish and timid men into giants of courage and faith.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 3:21pm On Nov 05, 2008
LARRYMcCOY:

@carl

Itele is after Ijebu-Ife, if you want to come, i can send you the addy,

actually there is another itele towards sango-otta and i tought you were referring to it.

sorry, i can't come. thanks though.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lindiwe(f): 3:30pm On Nov 05, 2008
LARRYMcCOY:

yeah rite!
you wish!!
if it's that one, i can assure you that he would disspoint you . . . lol

as for the workshop, whenever it's holding in Lag or Bayelsa just holla, i sure would attend wink wink wink
itesele sounds very strange . . . grin grin grin (just kidding!)
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Carlosein(m): 3:45pm On Nov 05, 2008
lin, i no know say u be trouble maker like me tongue

story of papa wey u promise, we no kuku see. u begin pull larry legs.

oya come and update us on the rome tory now now angry
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 4:22pm On Nov 05, 2008
mine o mine, i can see that the house is almost complete.
how una dey na?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 4:24pm On Nov 05, 2008

(the above is from memory, so please double check)

Thanks Lady for that breakdown.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 4:45pm On Nov 05, 2008
Today's Saint

Venerable Solanus Casey (1870-1957)

Barney Casey became one of Detroit’s best-known priests even though he was not allowed to preach formally or to hear confessions!
Barney came from a large family in Oak Grove, Wisconsin. At the age of 21, and after he had worked as a logger, a hospital orderly, a streetcar operator and a prison guard, he entered St. Francis Seminary in Milwaukee—where he found the studies difficult. He left there and, in 1896, joined the Capuchins in Detroit, taking the name Solanus. His studies for the priesthood were again arduous.

On July 24, 1904, he was ordained, but because his knowledge of theology was judged to be weak, Father Solanus was not given permission to hear confessions or to preach. A Franciscan Capuchin who knew him well said this annoying restriction "brought forth in him a greatness and a holiness that might never have been realized in any other way." During his 14 years as porter and sacristan in Yonkers, New York, the people there recognized him as a fine speaker. "For, though he was forbidden to deliver doctrinal sermons," writes his biographer, James Derum, "he could give inspirational talks, or feverinos, as the Capuchins termed them" (18:96). His spiritual fire deeply impressed his listeners.

Father Solanus served at parishes in Manhattan and Harlem before returning to Detroit, where he was porter and sacristan for 20 years at St. Bonaventure Monastery. Every Wednesday afternoon he conducted well-attended services for the sick. A co-worker estimates that on the average day 150 to 200 people came to see Father Solanus in the front office. Most of them came to receive his blessing; 40 to 50 came for consultation. Many people considered him instrumental in cures and other blessings they received.

Father Solanus’ sense of God’s providence inspired many of his visitors. "Blessed be God in all his designs" was one of his favorite expressions.

The many friends of Father Solanus helped the Capuchins begin a soup kitchen during the Depression. Capuchins are still feeding the hungry there today.

In 1946 in failing health, he was transferred to the Capuchin novitiate in Huntington, Indiana, where he lived until 1956 when he was hospitalized in Detroit. He died on July 31, 1957. An estimated 20,000 people passed by his coffin before his burial in St. Bonaventure Church in Detroit.

At the funeral Mass, Father Gerald, the provincial, said: "His was a life of service and love for people like me and you. When he was not himself sick, he nevertheless suffered with and for you that were sick. When he was not physically hungry, he hungere with people like you. He had a divine love for people. He loved people for what he could do for them —and for God, through them."

In 1960 a Father Solanus Guild was formed in Detroit to aid Capuchin seminarians. By 1967 the guild had 5,000 members—many of them grateful recipients of his practical advice and his comforting assurance that God would not abandon them in their trials. He was declared Venerable in 1995.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by viee(f): 6:59pm On Nov 05, 2008
hey peeps . . .

hey larry, nice to have u around
wld have loved to see God in action in Itele
abeg pray for us. . .

Lady, Lin, Carl, Oby hw una dey?
hope good

just popped in to say haloooo
u kip kipn it real!

kiss
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 12:43pm On Nov 06, 2008
Helloooooooooooooooooooooooo, , , , where is everyone!
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 12:48pm On Nov 06, 2008
viee:

hey peeps . . .

hey larry, nice to have u around
would have loved to see God in action in Itele
abeg pray for us. . .

Lady, Lin, Carl, Oby hw una dey?
hope good

just popped in to say haloooo
u kip kipn it real!

kiss

viee u did well by poppin in, please do that everyday ok.
how work naw?
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Oby1(f): 12:49pm On Nov 06, 2008
Today's Saint

St. Nicholas Tavelic and Companions (d. 1391)

Nicholas and his three companions are among the 158 Franciscans who have been martyred in the Holy Land since the friars became custodians of the shrines in 1335.
Nicholas was born in 1340 to a wealthy and noble family in Croatia. He joined the Franciscans and was sent with Deodat of Rodez to preach in Bosnia. In 1384 they volunteered for the Holy Land missions and were sent there. They looked after the holy places, cared for the Christian pilgrims and studied Arabic.

In 1391 Nicholas, Deodat, Peter of Narbonne and Stephen of Cuneo decided to take a direct approach to converting the Muslims. On November 11, 1391, they went to the huge Mosque of Omar in Jerusalem and asked to see the Qadi (Muslim official). Reading from a prepared statement, they said that all people must accept the gospel of Jesus. When they were ordered to retract their statement, they refused. After beatings and imprisonment, they were beheaded before a large crowd.

Nicholas and his companions were canonized in 1970. They are the only Franciscans martyred in the Holy Land to be canonized.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by Lady2(f): 10:38pm On Nov 06, 2008
Hi all, I have been celebrating Obama's victory with tears.

I looked at Michelle and tears rolled down my eyes, it hit me that my First Lady looks like me.

Jesus loves you, Mary loves you, I love you.
Re: Glory To Jesus, Honour To Mary! All The Real Catholics Please Stand Up by LARRYMcCOY(m): 12:35am On Nov 07, 2008
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit in General
by Rev. William G. Most

Grace is any gift from God to us. There are two great categories or groups of graces: sanctifying, and charismatic.

Sanctifying graces are those that are aimed at making the recipient holy. They include: actual grace, a grace He sends me at this moment, to lead me and to enable me to do a particular good thing here and now, and habitual grace (also called sanctifying) which actually does make the recipient holy. It gives the soul the radical ability to take in the face to face vision of God in the next life. Increase in sanctifying grace means an increase in that capacity--for since the vision is infinite, our capacity can never reach the limit of growth.

The other category is called charismatic. These graces are not aimed directly an making the recipient holy. They are for some other sort of benefit to the individual or the community. There are two kinds of charismatic graces: ordinary and extraordinary.

Where do the Gifts of the Holy Spirit fit in? There are two groups of them, one in the sanctifying, one in the charismatic category.

In the "sanctifying category" we find the seven gifts, which are given along with sanctifying (habitual) grace.

In the "charismatic" category we find both the ordinary gifts--e.g, the gift to be a good parent or a good teacher--and the extraordinary gifts, those which are or seem miraculous, such as the gifts of healing, tongues, or miracles.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Days When Men Have The Bible On One Hand And Juju On The Other / Are You Finding It Hard Forgive? Read This. / Bishop Oyedepo: "A Christian Can Lose His Salvation"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.