Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely (1096 Views)

Niger Delta University Closed Indefinitely Over Protest / Olabisi Onabanjo University,ago Iwoye Post Ume / Admission To Olabisi Onabanjo University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 8:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
*Ogun Shuts Onabanjo Varsity to Maintain Peace
To forestall breakdown of law and order, Ogun
State Government has directed the Governing
Council of Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ago
Iwoye, to close down the university immediately.
The government also advised all parents whose
wards are students of the university to
immediately call them to order as the government
will not tolerate any act that will disturb the peace
being enjoyed by the people of the state.
In a statement signed by Barrister Taiwo
Adeoluwa, Secretary to State Government, the
decision to shut the university was taken in the
overall interest of peace and order as the
students of the university have continued to issue
threats while rejecting all entreaties and
concessions made by the government on their
various demands concerning the recently
announced reduction of school fees.
The government had on August 12 after extensive
deliberations involving the leadership of the
student unions in the 10 state-owned tertiary
institutions, heads of the institutions and
government representatives, announced
reductions in school fees by as high as 61
percent.
The government also abolished the indigene/non-
indigene dichotomy in the school fees regime and
announced the 2014-2015 academic session as
commencement period for the policy.
However, while students in nine of the ten
institutions commended the government for its
decisions, OOU students insisted that the new
school fees regime should take effect from the
2013/2014 academic session and that the fees
should be further reduced.
The OOU students premised their position on the
fact that they are currently running the 2013-2014
academic session which will end in January. They
also rejected the fact presented by students of
other institutions that they are also in the same
situation as some of them will only be concluding
the 2013-2014 session in December.
The government had also sought to convince the
students that it could not afford to bear the
financial implication of commencing the
implementation of the new school fees regime as
it will cost the government over N2 billion.
OOU students staged a violent demonstration in
the state capital on August 15 and it took the
personal intervention of the governor, Senator
Ibikunle Amosun to restore normalcy.
The governor thereafter set up an ad-hoc
committee to discuss with the students with a
view to resolving the situation.
During discussions with the ad-hoc committee,
OOU students maintained their stand that the fees
must be further reduced and that the
implementation must commence immediately.
The explanation that no other State in Nigeria is
saddled with the responsibility of funding 10
tertiary institutions and that to accede to their
request would mean natural death for the
institutions made no sense to them.
The student leaders were within the week
sending text messages round, urging their
colleagues ‘to get ready for action’ as they are
ready to unleash violence on the state capital.
Security reports have since confirmed that
because the students are acting under external
influence, no concession made by the government
will be satisfactory to them.
“Consequently, we have no option than to order
the immediate closure of all the campuses of
Olabisi Onabanjo University to protect the
students and other residents of the state and
their property. We urge all parents to impress on
their wards the need to maintain peace in the
interest of all”, Adeoluwa stated.
Signed
Barrister Taiwo Adeoluwa
Secretary to State Government
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by bbello28(m): 9:01pm On Aug 23, 2014
1st comment withdrawn grin
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 10:14pm On Aug 23, 2014
bbello28: Ingrates,Bastards, they wanna pull a lasu-like stunt. Dey broke dia necks grin mofos!!!

are u referring 2 d students or d state govt??
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by adeoladrg(m): 10:21pm On Aug 23, 2014
bbello28: Ingrates,Bastards, they wanna pull a lasu-like stunt. Dey broke dia necks grin mofos!!!

So if you were an OOU student, you'd just sit there and keep watching ur parents cough out 200-300K to get you educated when you can fight to have it cheap?
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 7:09am On Aug 24, 2014
The Nigerian Police Force has declared all
gathering, meetings and assemblings illegal in
OOU o. A million of these can't stop us! Here is
their official statement:
Subject: OOU Closure:
We Will Not Tolerate Any Breakdown of Law and
Order- Police
The Ogun State Police Command has been duly
informed of the decision of the Ogun State
Government to close down the Olabisi Onabanjo
University Ago Iwoye and all it's campuses in the
state with effect from Saturday 23rd August 2014
through a statement signed,on behalf of the
government by the Secretatry to the State
Government Barrister Taiwo Adeoluwa,dated 23rd
August 2014 and made available to the command.
The action of the state government,coupled with
the intelligence and other pieces of information
received from the students' body of OOU and
concerned campuses and/or
communities,stimulated the command to put its
officers and men on red alert to forestall any
violence or breakdown of law and order in Ogun
State.
The Commissioner of Police Ogun State CP
Ikemefuna Okoye has directed all area
commanders and divisional police officers as well
as heads of departments to be on ground and
make sure adequate security is provided within
the state as any students' gathering or protest or
procession after the closure of Olabisi Onabanjo
University,for the same purpose,will be an
unlawful gathering or act which is capable of
causing chaos if not checkmated by the police
and other law enforcement agencies in the state.
The Commissioner of Police therefore warns the
concerned students of the affected institution to
leave the school premises as directed by the
government and do away with any act that will be
unlawful and security-threatening; and urges
parents and guardians of the concerned students
to advise their children to steer clear of the school
area for the command will not tolerate anyone
who engages in any act that is capable of
breaking down law and order in any part of the
state.
The command is however ready to receive more
intelligence from the general public in this regard
in order to provide adequate security for all and
sundry in Ogun State.
Thank you.
DSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi
P.R.O Ogun state Police Command
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 7:12am On Aug 24, 2014
adeoladrg:

So if you were an OOU student, you'd just sit there and keep watching ur parents cough out 200-300K to get you educated when you can fight to have it cheap?

People jez say shit, wen dey know nothing....

let him run his mouth anyhow..

he no sabi anything.
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by afreekah: 7:24am On Aug 24, 2014
How true is this ? SOURCE ? Ohh my alma mater
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by bbello28(m): 9:08am On Aug 24, 2014
adeoladrg:

buh had d fees not been slashed... Do dey av protest in mind b4 embarassed
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by bbello28(m): 9:10am On Aug 24, 2014
Tundecool:

are u referring 2 d students or d state govt??
both lipsrsealed
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 9:13am On Aug 24, 2014
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 9:28am On Aug 24, 2014
bbello28: both lipsrsealed

D protest had been ongoing b4 d govt announced d reduction.
it wasn't favourable and it won't b implemented until next session.

D governor promised 50% reduction in 2011 during his campaign buh ended up implementing 10% reduction.
d students have been clamouring for reduction buh d governor feigned ignorance.
we went on 2days lectures boycott & give him 7days ultimatum. it was during dat tym he announced d reduction.
Based on calculations, d lowest fee paid would be 120,000.
We went on anoda peace protest @ d state capital & he asked us 2 give him a week, d 1 week elapsed last friday & he announced d indefinite shutdown yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by bbello28(m): 9:36am On Aug 24, 2014
angry I seee
Tundecool:

D protest had been ongoing b4 d govt announced d reduction.
it wasn't favourable and it won't b implemented until next session.

D governor promised 50% reduction in 2011 during his campaign buh ended up implementing 10% reduction.
d students have been clamouring for reduction buh d governor feigned ignorance.
we went on 2days lectures boycott & give him 7days ultimatum. it was during dat tym he announced d reduction.
Based on calculations, d lowest fee paid would be 120,000.
We went on anoda peace protest @ d state capital & he asked us 2 give him a week, d 1 week elapsed last friday & he announced d indefinite shutdown yesterday.
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 12:08pm On Aug 24, 2014
bbello28: angry I seee

Beta!
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by adeoladrg(m): 2:34pm On Aug 24, 2014
OOU CAMPUS SHUTDOWN: Our Governor Has Gone Mad Again

When an unconfirmed report got across to me from a source within the corridor of power in Ogun State on Friday night, about the plan to lock down the school. I sincerely found it very hard to believe. But, upon hearing the SSG's press release yesterday, it was then dawn on me that my source was right. I then started to imagine if we were still in a democratic setting of governance or we've returned to the military style overnight, unaware to Ogunians. This can also be termed as THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF AMOSUN's REIGN IN OGUN SCHOOL's CAMPUSES.
Only in lastweek, after a 2-days, massive but peaceful protest in Abeokuta, demanding a reduction in our school fees. The state governor met with us and promised to make justice to our demands, within d next 7-days. Now, we can see his 'purported justice' to our demands. OOUITES ASKED FOR FISH, AMOSUN GAVE US A SERPENT...OOUITES ASKED FOR SCHOOL FEES REDUCTION, HE GAVE US CAMPUS SHUTDOWN.
The action of the governor is myopic, mundane and illogical, putting in consideration the trends of political leadership style, in the 21st century. I can only but sympathise with the so called progressive political party that has given this man the priviledge to be their Governor and misbehave to this extent without any precaution, even as the 2015 General Elections is just 6 Months closer. I can truly see them winning again...Pipe dream!
The threat to my life, together with some other gallant comrades in Cdhr cannot be a STOP to the Monday 'Ali-Must-Go' kind of protest.
At this crucial junction, Let Amosun and his apologist be quick to note that it is only God who can arrest or kill. Let them rain threats and blackmail, from now till kingdom comes, it'll never stop us. We are poised to fight for our right. Let no OOUITE travel, we are bound to fight this together.
Com. Governor
Chairman, Fee Reduction Frontier Committee
Committee For The Defence of Human Rights,
OOU.
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 7:42pm On Aug 24, 2014
adeoladrg: OOU CAMPUS SHUTDOWN: Our Governor Has Gone Mad Again

When an unconfirmed report got across to me from a source within the corridor of power in Ogun State on Friday night, about the plan to lock down the school. I sincerely found it very hard to believe. But, upon hearing the SSG's press release yesterday, it was then dawn on me that my source was right. I then started to imagine if we were still in a democratic setting of governance or we've returned to the military style overnight, unaware to Ogunians. This can also be termed as THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF AMOSUN's REIGN IN OGUN SCHOOL's CAMPUSES.
Only in lastweek, after a 2-days, massive but peaceful protest in Abeokuta, demanding a reduction in our school fees. The state governor met with us and promised to make justice to our demands, within d next 7-days. Now, we can see his 'purported justice' to our demands. OOUITES ASKED FOR FISH, AMOSUN GAVE US A SERPENT...OOUITES ASKED FOR SCHOOL FEES REDUCTION, HE GAVE US CAMPUS SHUTDOWN.
The action of the governor is myopic, mundane and illogical, putting in consideration the trends of political leadership style, in the 21st century. I can only but sympathise with the so called progressive political party that has given this man the priviledge to be their Governor and misbehave to this extent without any precaution, even as the 2015 General Elections is just 6 Months closer. I can truly see them winning again...Pipe dream!
The threat to my life, together with some other gallant comrades in Cdhr cannot be a STOP to the Monday 'Ali-Must-Go' kind of protest.
At this crucial junction, Let Amosun and his apologist be quick to note that it is only God who can arrest or kill. Let them rain threats and blackmail, from now till kingdom comes, it'll never stop us. We are poised to fight for our right. Let no OOUITE travel, we are bound to fight this together.
Com. Governor
Chairman, Fee Reduction Frontier Committee
Committee For The Defence of Human Rights,
OOU.

Aluta Continua!!!
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by tusol(f): 8:28pm On Aug 24, 2014
Mr amosun all we want is to go for NYSC dis year cos we have stayed too long in OOU since 2008,if yu like close the scool for 5years I don't care,just open the scool nd let start our clearance.plsssssss oooo we the graduating student re begging oooooo
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by liza207: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2014
Hello people dos anybody knows the amont of money graduating student of 2014 are to pay for our clearance to go for NYSC. I need a reply urgently
Re: Ogun State Govt Shut Down Olabisi Onabanjo University Indefinitely by Tundecool(m): 9:21pm On Sep 27, 2014
liza207: Hello people dos anybody knows the amont of money graduating student of 2014 are to pay for our clearance to go for NYSC. I need a reply urgently

I learnt its 20k... go to your hod's office for confirmation.

(1) (Reply)

Electronics/computer Engineering In Unizik Or Computer Engineering In Uniben / What You Need To Know About The Short-toed Snake Eagle / Authentic 2016 JAMB Offline Access Code + Immediate Validation. Call 08184527788

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.