Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,783 members, 7,820,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? (1079 Views)

SOLD!!!011 Toyota Camry LE... Nice Alloy Rims, Low Mileage. @ 1.7m / Car Dealers In Abuja / Used Car Dealers Around Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by MANGAM(m): 10:50pm On Aug 23, 2014
I ve noticed with dismay on Nairaland that some car dealers hardly diplay the VIN or mileage of cars they intend to sell. Even when a potential buyer requested, some avoid displaying it. I don't know why?
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by mexxy1(m): 11:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
Simple... Dishonesty.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by donem: 11:28pm On Aug 23, 2014
thats because they are thiefs, or to be polite they are criminally minded.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by 19naia(m): 1:04am On Aug 24, 2014
If you are interested in the car, ask for the Vin and mileage.. If they remain secretive after that, then yes they are trying to hide the information for reasons that are not in your interest...
Disclosure of Vin and mileage is a must if you are trying to buy the car..
But also remember the dealers must protect themselves from people trying to copy the car ID by creating a fake title that checks at the department of Motor vehicles... Thieves have been arrested before operating stolen car sales where they create a false vin and title for the stolen car..they do so by copying the vin number off of legitimate cars and the mileage to put on the fake title documents so that when the title is checked by vin number,,it will appear on the public record but it will be two cars secretly sharing the title and one is stolen....

If they remain secretive at point of sale agreement, don't sign any agreement and kindly bow out...
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by Nobody: 1:12am On Aug 24, 2014
Follow my car advertisements I don't hide any info....
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by calculusx(m): 1:19am On Aug 24, 2014
MANGAM: I ve noticed with dismay on Nairaland that some car dealers hardly diplay the VIN or mileage of cars they intend to sell. Even when a potential buyer requested, some avoid displaying it. I don't know why?

The reasons are 1. Trust 2. Understanding the Vin Report and 3. Ignorance. This issue has been discussed times without number on this forum and nothing changes. Dealers are in Business to make profit while buyers are in the market for a clean car, if possible Clean Title Car but they are not ready to pay the price forgetting nothing good comes cheap. Majority of Nigerians don't appreciate the truth, what they want is deceit.
I came across a thread on Toyota Avalon bought by a NLer off NL with rolled back mileage from 205,000 to 120,000 miles for #1.3m or there about. Ask me whether the buyer would have bought the Avalon considering how Clean it is with the Original miles of 205,000 miles displayed even at #1.3m? I believe both buyers and sellers have a share of the blame. Only FEW Nigerians are ready to pay the price of a Clean Title Car which doesn't come cheap.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by chronique(m): 7:38am On Aug 24, 2014
Just to add to what others have said,time is also an issue. Let me use myself as an example. For almost 24hrs everyday,I usually have my phones in my hands cos I spend the whole day responding to requests and enquiries from clients on bbm and it goes on for the whole day,up till night. While at that,I'm answering phone calls and also attending to clients at the lot. By the time I'm uploading an advert,I'm thinking of making it as short and as precise,so I can do other stuffs. When I put out a detailed ad,it means I have time on my hands but at such times,I might necessarily not have the documents of the car right there with me,or be close to the car(usually at night). But if a client signifies interest in having the VIN,it's usually not a problem giving out sch info.

One also has to be careful with scammers online. I have seen my 2011 honda croostour which I advertised on NL for 5.7m,lifted and placed on olx for 1.5m. Recently,my 07 GX470 I listed on NL,was placed on olx for 1.7m. What do you think would happen if the scammer lifting my info from here,has access to the VIN of these vehicles? He would have simply placed it on olx,thereby making his advert look real as the pictures and VIN would match if investigated.

In conclusion,do not assume all ads without vin nos,were placed with the intent to decieve. Only when dealer is refusing to disclose such info after you have asked for it,can you conclude that.
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by mexxy1(m): 7:39am On Aug 24, 2014
@Calculusx, you are correct but as a dealer you usually show vehicles pre-purchase pictures and after repair pictures and still got buyers with no issues.
If most dealers will be honest, nomatter how high the mileage, nomatter the accidented condition, as long as the dealer is honest with his customer and has fixed the vehicle properly he'll still be patronized.
Honesty is the key here. I know we all want the best for less and the dealer has to make profit too to survive but truth won't hurt rather it brings more trust.
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by femmy2010(m): 8:48am On Aug 24, 2014
MANGAM: I ve noticed with dismay on Nairaland that some car dealers hardly diplay the VIN or mileage of cars they intend to sell. Even when a potential buyer requested, some avoid displaying it. I don't know why?

You can simply request for it.
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by Karioska(m): 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
Good day can you [ls help me check this car vin 1nxbr32e04z240135. thank you my email is bunny77ng@yahoo.com
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by MANGAM(m): 3:43pm On Aug 28, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/638733/free-vin-checks-reports
Karioska: Good day can you [ls help me check this car vin 1nxbr32e04z240135. thank you my email is bunny77ng@yahoo.com
Re: Why Are Some Car Dealers Secretive About VIN And Mileage? by MANGAM(m): 3:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/391212/free-vin-check-cars-usa
Karioska: Good day can you [ls help me check this car vin 1nxbr32e04z240135. thank you my email is bunny77ng@yahoo.com

(1) (Reply)

Acura Zdx2011model@4.9m08038580001,08077605055 / Super Clean Tokunbo 2009 Toyota Camry Se / 2008 Pimped To 2011 Honda Accord For Sale @1.7 In Lagos 08089899299

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.