Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,822 members, 7,810,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:51 PM

Before All Our Children Become Entertainers - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Before All Our Children Become Entertainers (28184 Views)

See How Our Children Are Quietly Been Indoctrinated / Is This How Our Children Wil Learn Alphabets?pls Read / God Save Our Children From Campus Cults! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 27, 2014
____

6 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by hippyzuki(f): 6:35am On Aug 27, 2014
Yu can't blame the kids. When their older siblings with all the book way dem don read never get work, why bother wit education? So until we lay a good foundation for the youths of this country, every other thing is just wrong.

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 6:35am On Aug 27, 2014
Op,

Nice writeup but US is not the headquarters in academics.

We have Isreal, Iran, China.... Those ones are heating education up like Trojans...

In China, 70/100 is their pasd mark....
Most professors in USA are Iranians...
Most research students are from Iran and China.
Isreal, we all know they made most of the discoveries and nowadays, they are more or less than silent with their new discoveries....

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by bjtinz: 6:37am On Aug 27, 2014
Mtn, African idol, BBA, etc r not charity organizations. They need to make money and to do so means appealing to the desires of the public.

who wants to watch a boring show of cowbell maths competition or jets? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by digitite: 6:39am On Aug 27, 2014
You make sense. Anyways, by the time we ICT guys start making our billions, they will want to be us cool

4 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Eddygourdo(m): 6:42am On Aug 27, 2014
a nation whose philosophy embraces mediocrity. where the middle class is non existent and whose middle class should comprise of mainly the educated you would blame people who have two choices to make. which is wealth and poverty. to pull advertising is the. major reason companies sponsor baseless endeavour at the expense of academic platforms. we are plainly blind and visionless

8 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nwogbe: 6:45am On Aug 27, 2014
Lots of sense in this write up, lovely I must say.

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by ujchief(m): 6:47am On Aug 27, 2014
wayne rooney makes £300k per week. Trust me, not much proffesionals at the uk makes that amount in a year, not even medical doctors at uk.
Entertainment is the trend, its not just in Nigeria, its all over.

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by MightySparrow: 6:51am On Aug 27, 2014
Indeed, Africans are comedians by nature; let us build up our entertainment industry. If that is the ONLY way we can compete favourably with the growing civilized world. The organizations promoting this sector are at least contributing something.
What impressive examples do we get from politicians, lecturers, bankers, doctors etc. The other day, my eight years old daughter said enthusiastically she would like to become a professor. She then asked' 'daddy what is a professor?" After explanation she changed her statement. She said, 'so, the governor will not be paying my money like my mummy's?' She mentioned our governor's name, and her mother is a teacher.
The incessant strikes by the so - to -say dignified profession, the stories of corruption we hear everyday, the valour that has left the military, the cluelessness of our leaders to manage the led and chart a good course for these tomorrow's leaders are things the children are observing. Believe me, these children are smarter than the leaders, better informed in this age than what these leader s were at their age now.
What does a professor, doctor, a lawyer, a banker have too show now in terms of affluence than an almost illustrate powerful politician? They watch us, they hear our discussions, they feel the impact of our country where nothing works, technology, by media is telling them things can be better elsewhere and it is evident.
On a serious note, our leaders are entertainers themselves! The drama we watch in our legislative chambers where (did)honourable members break their heads with chairs, the theatric scandals in the judiciary, the scenes of show of shame in the executive arm from LG to federal; dramatic lies we hear from the NNPC, INEC, CBN, PRESIDENCY, etc. These comical political terrain, the amusing academic environment, and other sectors that no longer produce enviable names like Awolowo, Awojobi, Achebe, Ahmadu Bello, Zik, Tarka , Isaac Newton, JF. Kenndy, Nelson Mandela' etc.
If the current generation has natural leaders in entertainment industry, and sponsors to bring the best out of them I feel we should let them be.
Some of these people are saved from vices such as robbers, e - thieves, insurgents foot soldiers in affected part of the country.
My opinion.

8 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by obioraval(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2014
mdee1: This space has been payed PAID for
. Note your mistake. @OP, its a bad development really. I read the original article on vanguard. And to think we are in the Information age... Well, I will keep on developing myself. Don't know about others.

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by DaWorshiper(m): 6:55am On Aug 27, 2014
Lilimax: I read this write up somewhere and decided to share it using this medium:

Dear Nigerians, the reasons for mass failure of our teenagers in public exams are not far fetched.

1 FACEBOOK,YAHOO,TWITTER,MYSPACE and generally browsing on the internet instead of reading their books

2 ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE and EUROPEAN FOOTBALL LEAGUES, it is easy for an average nigerian teenager to know the tha names of all chelsea players but same youths cannot tell you the square root 25 in mathematic. Worse still is that these days instead of seeing inscriptions like UNIVERISTY or SCHOLARS on the exercise books, what you see are pictures of paloma,Drogba,Beyonce,Omotola etc

3 DSTV,Home video and african movie magic, watching television and films endlessly.European champions league,English premiership,Barca,Blues,Chelsea,MANU etc

4 GSM and BLACKBERRY, the average Nigerian teenager uses the latest and expensive gsm phones just to show off that they belong, when they are actually nothing.

5 GSM TEXT LANGUAGE, I will not be surprised to see students write words like ur(for YOUR), 2moro( For tomorrow) in their EXAM sheets

6 QUEST FOR CHEAP FAME AND WEALTH, The goverment,electronic media(tv and radio) and companies have not been helpful at all. The average nigerian youth especially the girls want to BE silver Birds most beautiful Girl and get cheap money and fame(Nobody has remembered all the previous miss world,but we still remember MOTHER THERESA),they want to win IDOLS WEST AFRICA, they want to be in NOLLYWOOD, they want to be TWO-FACE, they want to win maltina street dance ,they want to win starquest and GULDER ULTIMATE SEARCH

Warning is that wealth gotten by vanity shall DIMINISH.
7 The new craze of TALENT SHOWS: Suddenly The only talents our youths now have are music,dancing,acting and stand up comedies, they no longer have talents for maths,physics and entrepreneurism.
Check out the list:MTN PROJECT FAME,BIG BROTHER,STARQUEST,MALTINA DANCE HALL,AMBO,GUILDER,IDOLS WEST AFRICA,PEAK TALENT HUNT ETC…What a bad distraction
It is only COWBELL that sponsors national mathematics competition and give scholarships to outstanding students in UME exams
You didn't mention computer games. It's also a part of it.

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Akalia(m): 6:58am On Aug 27, 2014
Become a Transformation Ambassador of Nigeria(TAN) and enjoy great membership benefit. Click http://tan.org.ng/onestar/register.php?id=169176

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Odunharry(m): 7:00am On Aug 27, 2014
Lilimax: I read this write up somewhere and decided to share it using this medium:

Dear Nigerians, the reasons for mass failure of our teenagers in public exams are not far fetched.

1 FACEBOOK,YAHOO,TWITTER,MYSPACE and generally browsing on the internet instead of reading their books

2 ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE and EUROPEAN FOOTBALL LEAGUES, it is easy for an average nigerian teenager to know the tha names of all chelsea players but same youths cannot tell you the square root 25 in mathematic. Worse still is that these days instead of seeing inscriptions like UNIVERISTY or SCHOLARS on the exercise books, what you see are pictures of paloma,Drogba,Beyonce,Omotola etc

3 DSTV,Home video and african movie magic, watching television and films endlessly.European champions league,English premiership,Barca,Blues,Chelsea,MANU etc

4 GSM and BLACKBERRY, the average Nigerian teenager uses the latest and expensive gsm phones just to show off that they belong, when they are actually nothing.

5 GSM TEXT LANGUAGE, I will not be surprised to see students write words like ur(for YOUR), 2moro( For tomorrow) in their EXAM sheets

6 QUEST FOR CHEAP FAME AND WEALTH, The goverment,electronic media(tv and radio) and companies have not been helpful at all. The average nigerian youth especially the girls want to BE silver Birds most beautiful Girl and get cheap money and fame(Nobody has remembered all the previous miss world,but we still remember MOTHER THERESA),they want to win IDOLS WEST AFRICA, they want to be in NOLLYWOOD, they want to be TWO-FACE, they want to win maltina street dance ,they want to win starquest and GULDER ULTIMATE SEARCH

Warning is that wealth gotten by vanity shall DIMINISH.
7 The new craze of TALENT SHOWS: Suddenly The only talents our youths now have are music,dancing,acting and stand up comedies, they no longer have talents for maths,physics and entrepreneurism.
Check out the list:MTN PROJECT FAME,BIG BROTHER,STARQUEST,MALTINA DANCE HALL,AMBO,GUILDER,IDOLS WEST AFRICA,PEAK TALENT HUNT ETC…What a bad distraction
It is only COWBELL that sponsors national mathematics competition and give scholarships to outstanding students in UME exams
agree with u

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 7:00am On Aug 27, 2014
GeneralShepherd: I'm an engineer also going for an Msc in subsea engineering at Cranfield University this October but guess worth? I am also a DJ and i absolutely enjoy being both!!

Guess worth?

6 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by obioraval(m): 7:00am On Aug 27, 2014
GeneralShepherd: I'm an engineer also going for an Msc in subsea engineering at Cranfield University this October but guess worthWhat? I am also a DJ and i absolutely enjoy being both!!

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by ask4bk(m): 7:01am On Aug 27, 2014
PRESIDENT Goodluck has read this post. He will set up a committee to look into it.

- Reuben Abati

6 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by bosunjohns(m): 7:03am On Aug 27, 2014
I remember the days of bournvita brain match on Saturdays and "Speak Out" on NTA 2 back then. But now, it's music, dance, football, BBA, politics and yahoo that's on our screens and in the mind our our youths. So sad. cry

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by mrofficial(m): 7:07am On Aug 27, 2014
You guys have not discussed the underlying problem which is the government that have failed to fund and create standard studying facilities at all level. We all know the state of our schools, be it primary or tertiary. The government should be seriously condemned because they have failed in making education attractive in Nigeria with mediocre graduates all over the country. Students don't even enjoy education, nothing new.

4 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:08am On Aug 27, 2014
ledafaze:

Guess worth?

Android has a way of inputting what it wishes on its own.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by GeneralShepherd(m): 7:09am On Aug 27, 2014
obioraval:
Blame it on the android bro!
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Nobody: 7:09am On Aug 27, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: "It's only in a country like Nigeria that a Tuface will be more popular than a Wole Soyinka" - Tai Solarin.

Wole soyinka wrote plays which are works of literature, Tu face writes beautiful songs which are also literary... "mind you, music is also a course in the university".. The man who wrote a book is not more smarter than the man who writes good music... nd tu face is not only more popular than soyinka in Nigeria, he is easily more popular than Him in Africa and even the world..

2 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by mecussey(m): 7:12am On Aug 27, 2014
bigx: grin Bad Belle Post

See it this way, when everyone veers into music (and most fail), it would create a scarcity of professionals and the demand for doctors and the rest would increase with the attendant reduced supply (check the humongous failure rate in waec). The current poor salaries they are earning is a result of everybody wanting to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer because of perceived high salaries (at least when I went through school)

This is also correct as much as the OP. One guy has said the world is held in equilibrum and actually regulates itself. You made a very big point here..demand and supply holds economy.

Back to the topic...I have said it before that in order to have our children back to school, we have to include the subject/course called "how to make money" and you will see how serious an average Niger student can be.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by zicoraads: 7:12am On Aug 27, 2014
Horayce:
Wrong. Our educational standards started slipping way before faceboook and twitter. The signs of the decay were apparent even in the 90s through the early 2000s when i went to secondary school. From the stories our parents and uncles told us, they had it way better in the 70s and 80s. The story of our educational sector is that it's been been on decay mode since the british left its reins in our hands, it would be a stretch to ascribe it to a recent phenomenom as social media.
I come from a family of six and my dad has the policy of 'You are not entitled to a mobile phone till you enter into a university.' He is a uniform man. Now I have three elder ones, ladies, who only sat for their exams one time, wrote Jamb and got admissions. I am the fourth, I also sat once. My younger bro felt absurd because most, if not all his friends had mobile devices in school. And for him, social media was already everywhere.

I had to sit him down and tell him to wait for just two years and he would be glad he did. He listened. Now he was one of the very few in his school who came out with an excellent result, wrote Jamb that same year and got into a University. He is studying Elect/Elect.

Now I told you earlier of what I saw in English scripts and I can categorically tell you that Social media has done a lot of damage. And for someone who wants to study Elect/Elect but still spends the better part of their time chatting away on nairaland, facebook, 2go, whatsapp, BBM et al, how then can he/she reconcile the two?

I didn't single out social media as the only factor, I only said major. Education has been on the decline because govt is not doing enough, teachers are not doing enough, parents are not doing enough and so on. But social media has put the final nail on the coffin.

8 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by segend(m): 7:14am On Aug 27, 2014
KillerBeauty: Its about time we understand that if Nigeria aim to be among the first world countries we need to put our interest and resources to develop science and technology. That is it what China did/is doing and they are now a world power. Music, entertainment and sport will never make us a developed nation. Only education will. That is why I still respect cowbell for the mathematics competition they organise for students. Others should follow their footsteps. Its what Nigeria need

1000 likes for this. The truth is that entertainers don't really contribute to the society, apart from entertain people, doctors heal the sick, teachers are raising future leaders, bankers are providing a service to the community. And when these musicians are sick, they ask us to contribute for them, and some governors also donate cash for their surgeries or transplant, and no one takes care of the real people contributing to the society. Can be quite annoying sometimes

6 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Ptoocool(m): 7:15am On Aug 27, 2014
agrovick: Ptoocool! Plz I need your permission to include this in my dept's magazine. Pls dont say no

Please do..
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by mecussey(m): 7:16am On Aug 27, 2014
bigx: grin Bad Belle Post

See it this way, when everyone veers into music (and most fail), it would create a scarcity of professionals and the demand for doctors and the rest would increase with the attendant reduced supply (check the humongous failure rate in waec). The current poor salaries they are earning is a result of everybody wanting to be a doctor, lawyer or engineer because of perceived high salaries (at least when I went through school)

This is also correct as much as the OP. One guy has said the world is held in equilibrum and actually regulates itself. All these HIV/Ebola/cancer of a stuff are just here to stabilize economy. If you watch NatGeoWild, you will see how population is been regulated by brutality and fatality, we can't call God wicked on that because, he knows exactly why he created the preys and the predators. You made a very big point here..demand and supply holds economy.

Back to the topic...I have said it before that in order to have our children back to school, we have to include the subject/course called "how to make money" and you will see how serious an average Niger student can be.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by ogunniyi2: 7:17am On Aug 27, 2014
we should know that the organizers of nigerians entertainment competitions in the likes of MTN(project fame),etisalat(nigeria idol) e.tc see it as avenue to exploit people.this is done thru registration fee and by asking the public to vote via text messages at a special rate.they make billions while a paltry sum is given to winners and as consolation prizes. but this may not be possible in other industries .

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by otokx(m): 7:20am On Aug 27, 2014
There is more to life than wealth, yes entertainers may earn a lot but do they add value to the nation? Our culture has almost been destroyed and our mentality is regressing. We have to get back to the basics through a proper cultural revolution/re-education.

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by CocoaOla: 7:21am On Aug 27, 2014
And that is what is drawing the black race backwards

go and check the history of our people abroad

Even people that receive solid scholarship into various powerful university in the world end up singing

when the white are busy producing powerful machines, the blacks is busy producing music abum

it inside our blood

1 Like

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Waspy(m): 7:24am On Aug 27, 2014
Misplaced priorities and frivolity everywhere. It might be late before we realise what we've done to ourselves.Just as the poster above me acknowledged. I concur that its a black man thing. Even in America. Niggas go for chrome wheels, blings, pumps/sneakers, rides and other vanities typical of blacks. An average black will go to school cos of school grant or scholarship just to get drafted into the NBA or NFL. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Janetozi(f): 7:25am On Aug 27, 2014
Nigeria is getting it all wrong and America is partially to be blame for this.
Re: Before All Our Children Become Entertainers by Janetozi(f): 7:28am On Aug 27, 2014
Nigeria is getting it all wrong and America is partially to be blame for this because, they know we are copy-cat and when we copy, we over copy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Students Of Collapsed Lagos Floating School Now Attend Another Floating School / Unizik 2011/2012 Admission Statue Is Out On Www.jamb.org.ng / ICAN Issues Accreditation Certificates To 24 Universities, 14 Polytechnics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.