Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,768 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Why Doesn't Water Burn? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Why Doesn't Water Burn? (1016 Views)

Before I Burn Down My Hostel Apartment!. / How To Rip Dvd And Convert Video And Burn A Dvd / My Glo Gprs Doesn't Support Operamini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Doesn't Water Burn? by Mobsync(m): 8:30am On Aug 29, 2014
Water is made up of hydrogen, which is flammable, and oxygen, which is necessary for fire to burn.

Why doesn't water burn?

And why does it quench fire?
Re: Why Doesn't Water Burn? by Mobsync(m): 8:30am On Aug 29, 2014
Space taken to prevent the "First to Comment" crew.
Re: Why Doesn't Water Burn? by lirusehn(m): 8:37am On Aug 29, 2014
Nice questn. Following to read i-Know-Alls opinions.

cool
Re: Why Doesn't Water Burn? by McWhillion(m): 9:08am On Aug 29, 2014
Don't forget that a chemical combination changes the chemical behaviour of the resultant product. It is not like a combination between sand and garri.

And again, when anything burns it uses up oxygen. Water is formed when hydrogen burns in the presence of oxygen. Their product can't be flammable again, its like trying to burn a substance after it has been burnt.
Re: Why Doesn't Water Burn? by Mobsync(m): 11:13am On Aug 29, 2014
McWhillion: Don't forget that a chemical combination changes the chemical behaviour of the resultant product. It is not like a combination between sand and garri.

And again, when anything burns it uses up oxygen. Water is formed when hydrogen burns in the presence of oxygen. Their product can't be flammable again, its like trying to burn a substance after it has been burnt.

Are you trying to say water is already burnt?
Re: Why Doesn't Water Burn? by McWhillion(m): 11:22am On Aug 29, 2014
Mobsync:

Are you trying to say water is already burnt?
Water is not burnt, I meant to say it is a product gotten from burning. Its like burning carbon compounds to form ash. Although ash still contains carbon compounds, it definitely cannot burn. That's what makes it a chemical reaction, it doesn't retain the properties of its constituent elements.

We can say hydrogen underwent a complete combustion in the presence of oxygen to form water, or hydrogen has been completely neutralized by oxygen to form water.
Re: Why Doesn't Water Burn? by KillerBeauty(f): 6:33pm On Aug 30, 2014
McWhillion:
Water is not burnt, I meant to say it is a product gotten from burning. Its like burning carbon compounds to form ash. Although ash still contains carbon compounds, it definitely cannot burn. That's what makes it a chemical reaction, it doesn't retain the properties of its constituent elements.

We can say hydrogen underwent a complete combustion in the presence of oxygen to form water, or hydrogen has been completely neutralized by oxygen to form water.

Hokay

(1) (Reply)

Man Given Eight-inch Bionic Penis After Losing Use Of Genitals In An Accident / Introducing The Laisimo 200W Bluetooth Box MOD / Web Designing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.