Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,080 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... (5617 Views)

Agric Diary Season Two; The Making Of Lubyanks Farms;"dodo's 10 Acre Habitat". / 4 Nairalanders Launch Agric Ecommerce Website.... / Cattle Fattening/goat Farming/dairy farm For Small Holder Farmer, pix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 7:19pm On Aug 30, 2014
[b] The season is here,the rains are happy and the land is sweet.This here is a journal to keep up with updates,suggestions and actions concerning curcubit and vegetable crop cultivation.....
Ground zero;Heavy rain at the corner in Abuja saw me wake up from slumber with an ephipany "why don't i cultivate watermelons?" there is a huge market for that and i've got the experience even though my job won't let me, but the numbers are good,besides the land is available and i'm on leave. I made plans to visit my holdings at Kuje over 100 km from the den but it suddenly occurred to me that areas around the den are quite available,so why go to sokoto for an objective while the same thing can be found in your trousers?! Immediately,i jumped up from bed,put on my clothes,grabbed my umbrella and headed out to the lofty hills of Apo...
30mins later...After an exhausting but exhilarating climb,i got to the hill tops and numbed by the panoramic view below,the activity around me...and what we are bout to venture into.
The area consist of two ridges with a deep green valley below,i swear i could hear waterfalls, farm plots as far as the eyes could see dotted some parts of this geographical feature but they seemed worked over and abandoned as the staple crop season draws to an end.Was still scrumming around and enjoying the Tinapaesque view when this dude accosted me.He was a scruffy skinny fellow holding on to a bunch of tomato seedlings for transplanting
"this one way you standa with your umbrella,you be security?" he said.
"No" with a wan smile on my face "i just say make i look around dey see wetin dey happen,my house dey just down there" pointing to the den,now a microscopic dot below me."But bros,na you get this farm?"
"Na me dey here"
"Abeg space dey for yonder?" Pointing Northwest.."E dey,but stone full dat side" **#facepalm.ofcourse its a hilly area** So i excused my self and went downhill at other side of the ridge right across my fellow's football field farm and behold i spied an area though bushy but not heavily forested not against the face of the ridge like my fellow's own but down on the valley close to the waterfall** ok stop here, it is not a fall but a run-off that is rain-fed**The area seemed extensive,flat and fertile "I love it!".....quickly i found my way back to the tomato man..." bro,bros!" He took a moment " that side "pointing to the general area where my prospective claim was "shey anybody dey there? i asked. "E get one woman wey been dey there but i no know she just stop" He answered."Bros i wan enter that side do watermelon" the relieve on his face was obvious maybe he thought it was tomato."U fit enter but you go go settle dem gbagyi to avoid any embarrassement"
"Where dem dey??"
He pointed to a settlement across the valley at the mouth where it originated from..
"How much"
"*****naira"
"Ok,how much you use clear yah farm?"
"na only me?
"Ehn?!
"Na me o,u tink say as i dey like dis i no strong? See my hand,i don lean.This land strong"His position was hilltop and so coming across granite is common but generally the soil was black and thick."But if you want make i help you, tommorrow just come my house or this farm, we go settle everything" Relieved,i thanked him profusely,almost grovelling at his almost superhuman strength and kind help.We exchanged details and i got the chance to sight his dwelling just nearby...."Ok tommorrow now" i waved to my new best friend salisu and began the exhaustive climb downhill.....
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 9:11pm On Aug 31, 2014
[b] Ground zeroII:Crazy morning it was but had the presence of mind to go about my sunday activities before getting ready to meet with my new bestie,Salisu.We ventured forth but this time earlier so we could get a good look-in before the appointment.The area still looked cool but we had to satisfy ourselves to the rushing noise of water which we earlier surmised was rain fed run-off as the day was sunny and yet one could hear thunderous water noise in the distance.Quickly, we got down to finding a bush path that took us down the ridge's face into the valley...took a look at the topography of the valley and found to our horror the land was straightup rock surface with knee length vegetation growing everywhere,infact,the entire geographical feature had 70% vegetation of the shrub nature which meant that my stake too was as rocky as Olumo...bloody hell.But like one smitten with the call of a mermaid we had to follow our ears to the rolling watery thunder this time the sounds were unmistakable and close.The valley we entered wasnt as undulating as we thought but still inclined towards a dense network of forest which guarded the path of the waterbody from prying eyes....So like those contesting for Ultinate Search,we fought our way down the valley incline in to the cool forest and lo behold the raging stream came into view...It wasn't bad but it was shallow and quick.The stream was hurriedly forded though with difficulty from quicksands then we proceeded up to the other side of the ridge almost getting to the top and turned our view back to the former ridge from whence we came from.This view afforded us the opportunity to analyse the ridge's topography and vegetation in greater details as one could see far away in the distance and could take in sights at a greater scale.The air was unpolluted,cool and refreshing thus a sight 20km away looked as if it was just 2km.Analysing the area relative to my 'hard rock' claim vis a vis salisu's we noticed the vegetation changed to bigger vegetation east of salisu's claim before getting hidden from our view......and yes,salisu was around as we spied the moving microdot from afar inspecting his claim across the ridge's face and top.
30mins of hard climbing,hiking and falling later,we met up with salisu discussing the pros and cons with my claim. He suggested the area with thicker vegetation whose view was hidden from me at a great distance before but now seen to be quite very extensive with cashew groves and other tree varieties which meant a deep rich soil with humus,plant composts and nutrients.We got measurin for an acre and concluded arrangements for the land operations.....thus salisu walked home with a smiling face...[/b]
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by eddie1(m): 8:51pm On Sep 01, 2014
There's something exhausting about your write up, I don't know if it's your use of English or the very boring font! undecided
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:12am On Sep 02, 2014
eddie1: [s] There's something exhausting about your write up, I don't know if it's your use of English or the very boring font! undecided[/s]
F**k off..this my personal agric troll thread...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:21am On Sep 02, 2014
Pics to show what we are working with...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:36am On Sep 02, 2014
All went well yesterday and we have been given the green light to do our thing.....Like my watermelons,I am a very greedy fellow therefore i will be looking forward to at least 2000 plus plantin holes, each hole with spacing of at least 15 square feet...But the rains are too heavy....for now let me concern myself with the very very important aspect of spacing the ridges..That has to be PERFECT.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 5:42pm On Sep 02, 2014
[b] Seems my technical agric background has won me over my farm neighbours,a few naira here and there has remarkably turn the odds in my favour....now Salisu is working full time and furiosly to meet my land specs whilst our 'oga on top' ,by whose permission we are at a go and on schedule, has promised to deliver extra hands to the grounds for project completion before friday......My farm is equivalent (to be very conservative) to a standard football field with extra virgin forest for expansion and consolidation...The soil is a rich black loam-sandy variety with rocky outcrops here and there.There is a big pre-dominance of creeping lianas (cousin to devil beans) as weed so we shouldnt be having nitrogen deficiency for a very long time. The west side of the bushveldt is bordered by cashew groves,the east by a sheer cliff drop off revealing the most spectacular view of the valley that any farm or bushveldt could ever posess more like the panoramic view from a pent-house suite.There is an 'insuite' water body which turned out not to be an erosion run off but a genuine stream tumbling off a cliff to a thunderous roar that can be heard for tens of miles,here in Abuja?!?!?!...one these days i'm a have myself a jump-off into its cool waters...But on to serious bizness of clearing,measuring and analyzing....
..Leggo!![/b]
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:02pm On Sep 02, 2014
My valley of Peace..

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2014
In a few months time these babies will be nourishing thousands in the FCT....

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:21am On Sep 04, 2014
Yesterday wasnt easy on the eye but we managed to complete clearing and GOD was merciful to shower us with rain....the soil now is well soaked,so we till and plant today.I want all my seeds in the ground.....now...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:33am On Sep 04, 2014
Before....

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:45am On Sep 04, 2014
Feeding Nigeria is a task that must be done,slowly we are getting there......Had the most stimulating convo with my farmstead neighbours and there came realisation that we are onto something huge here,the gbagyi locals might not be happy but the massive technical skill on tap might just sway them and put serious cash in their pockets...but anyway,back to work........Pics; During.

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:53am On Sep 04, 2014
Progress......

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:44pm On Sep 04, 2014
Finally!! The seeds (+1000) are in the ground and we got a light shower later this evening as i came back from the Office.....but there is so much land yet to be tilled though i have been promised a complete job by midday tomorrow.Going to the friday market to purchase extra seeds there is no stopping us now,leggo!!..

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 6:52pm On Sep 04, 2014
A review of today's progres with pics....

the first morning hours...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 7:12pm On Sep 04, 2014
All systems are a go ...Oluwa modupe...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Entchidodo: 4:31am On Sep 06, 2014
The entire land has been ridged and cultivated.....The countdown to germination begins now.

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Ahuitzotl: 9:00pm On Sep 07, 2014
Third day after first sowing and i feel anymoment we could be sighting young shoots.Yesternight rain will help soften the hard seedcase for quick germination....No sight of Salisu and Dominic today...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Ahuitzotl: 8:04am On Sep 09, 2014
Day 5....Germination!!!...

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by Ahuitzotl: 8:57am On Sep 09, 2014
Meet Henry,my eco-engineer.Without him and his colleagues here at Jamaica,my bushveldt farm,all this germinations wouldn't be possible.

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 7:45pm On Sep 10, 2014
Day 6....Achieving uniform germination levels but noticed some gaps and at a particular point an entire row unplanted.Yet some rows seemed to have much watermelon seedlings too close for comfort...a dilemma here,do we wait for weeks for the seedlings to become strong enough for transplanting or do i just plant my reserve seeds? Lemme sleep on that decision for tomorrow...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 8:31pm On Sep 11, 2014
Day 7.....Circumstances has forced our hands,the heavy rains and some errant grashoppers are tryynna destroy our seedlings although with 34 slightly damaged,well damaged and outright destroyed baby watermelon plants out of 1000+ shouldnt cause a stir yet....the threshold is 50 and then we go bonkers on herbicides,pesticides and knapsack sprayers....Today,we replanted to replenish and cover up our lapses of last week..…And hunted down grasshoppers,ofcourse.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 8:46pm On Sep 12, 2014
[b] Day 8......Ok about my bother with grasshoppers....Had to conduct a research on them of which i discovered they had just three life cycles.The most destructive was at the nymph stage because they was very small to hunt and they ate voraciously to allow for quick moultin into the adult stage...All-in-all most grashoppers prefer young shoots of plants,go figure an expansive area without any plant life 'cept for my young watermelon seedlings...big trouble......but the window for the young shoots to remain fresh,succulent and palatable is very small (2 hot sunny days) and there aren't so many random hopping bugs to devastate 1000+plus seedlings in an area the size of a football field with associated young shoots of weeds to act as buffer...this evening's body count was just 13..i.e those that aren't slightly damaged nor well damaged but totally copped out seedlings...13....very much insignificant.So,i don't get to waste resources on knapsacks and chemicals..The last we wanna do is to injure VIPs like ***** or ****.They are important ***** and watermelons need ***** for optimum yield....this so natgeo wild.[/b]
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 8:53pm On Sep 13, 2014
Day 9.....Conducted a grasshopper field infestation test with favourable results.....No we only have to worry about incessant rains....
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 7:23pm On Sep 14, 2014
Day 10...Sunday...yaay...no gardening today.
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 7:42pm On Sep 15, 2014
Day 11......Seedlings showing quick growth some developing second set of foliage....Grasshopper infestation rates holds steady at 1 per square yard as farm weeds continue to act as buffer for the crops...it is important to maintain the delicate balance in the ecosystem and not control nature with harmful chemicals..contemplating buying fertilizer to boost growth...Weather conditions remain favourable with heavy sunshine in the day and a rainy night with moderate showers...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 6:14pm On Sep 16, 2014
Day 12....ok scratch that,the moderate rains of yesterday turned out to be a supercell with high winds today, this brought on temperate weather into Jamaica with fogs and low clouds.We only got a smattering of sunshine,this is the last weather condition we want in Jamaica as we don't need the seedlings become 'too leggy' without the corresponding foliage length due to sunshine lack although my seedlings seemed to be doing very well so far,see picture...Anyway,we walked about conducting early morning gardening operations and transplant surgeries at various sites in jamaica.We also observed freshly germinated seedlings planted day7....Conducted a recon around the area,before deciding to head down the valley to the waterfall for a swim,see picture....Discovered veritable treasure trove of banana grooves along the river path....yum-yum....

Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 7:14pm On Sep 17, 2014
Day 13....Gloomy mornin eventually turned into a bright barmy day.. wasn't chanced to visit Jamaica though...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 6:54pm On Sep 18, 2014
Day 14......Very cool morning as we had to put in extra efforts at reducing the weed-load...the day eventually turned sunny and blue sky but we got a rude awakening with an evening supercell followed by an electrical storm..as we type this all hell is still breaking loose..I hope the seedlings survive this...
Re: Agric Dairy; Dodo's Treasure... by ichidodo: 7:29pm On Sep 19, 2014
Day 15...Terrible Night it was but we pull through all thanks to the windbreakers established in Jamaica else most of the seedlings would be snapped like twigs by the ferocious rain breeze....but we lose just one seedling....R.I.P...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cucumber Farm / Oil Palm Farmers Complain Of Little Government Support / Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.