Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,066 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos - Agriculture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos (145058 Views)

The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) / Step By Step Guide For Growing Tomato--pictures / My Backyard Cucumber With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pragmatistm(m): 9:03pm On Dec 17, 2016
DICON2:
I guess that's fruitfly, please increase you insecticide procedure.

Check for bad fruit and try to kill the maggots with insecticides, if not they will turn to see fly and cause more havoc. Check d young fruits well for a hole, if any, fruitfly has laid egg inside

Please take quick action cos if not checked you might lose a lot.

Actually,many of the fruits were lost. And the harvesting season is over. Buti wish to plant come next available season and I don't want to lose them like that.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by DICON2: 10:33pm On Dec 17, 2016
Eeyah, don't be discouraged.

The first preventive measure is to get a pheromone block, it attracts the make and kill them thereby reducing reproduction( females won't have eggs to lay)

Make sure weekly spraying is followed religiously

No weed at all

You can also plant corn round your farm, fruitflies stay on tall plants during the day. With that you can kill some with insecticide

If I may ask, how often did you spray?

pragmatistm:
Actually,many of the fruits were lost. And the harvesting season is over. Buti wish to plant come next available season and I don't want to lose them like that.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pragmatistm(m): 9:23pm On Dec 18, 2016
DICON2:

The first preventive measure is to get a pheromone block, it attracts the make and kill them thereby reducing reproduction( females won't have eggs to lay)

No weed at all

You can also plant corn round your farm, fruitflies stay on tall plants during the day. With that you can kill some with insecticide

Thanks.

Now let me mention the other challenge a that caused loss on the farm.
1. Many water melon plants became yellow when very young and they didn't do well eventually.

2. many fruits started shrinking up as the one I show on the picture here and eventually got spoiled.

Please what is the remedy for these problems?

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by DICON2: 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2016
1. Nutrient deficiencies, so feed them well, prepare your soil well before planting and add the needed manure or Npk

2. I'm sure the shrinking is caused by fruitfly(they became rotten eventually), and I've explained how to manage it.

pragmatistm:
Thanks.

Now let me mention the other challenge a that caused loss on the farm.
1. Many water melon plants became yellow when very young and they didn't do well eventually.

2. many fruits started shrinking up as the one I show on the picture here and eventually got spoiled.

Please what is the remedy for these problems?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pamdaniel(m): 5:56am On Feb 04, 2017
pragmatistm:
Hello people. I have a question. What is the cause of water melon fruit breaking up on the farm(see the attached pictures) and the solution/prevention?

cc: MAGNAM, palmdaniel, etc
there are few reasons why ur watermelon could blotch 1. erratic watering... there is a particular point in time when u don't water regularly as usual... solution is to learn times to water more and when to water less... 2. there are species of watermolon that are prone to blotching, they have tiny skin and can burst at all times...3. when the weather is much hot and the temperature boils the water in the melon it could result to bursting... solution to this is mulching...
the solution to all this is to study your environment and plant species that are proper for the environment, bear in mind also that there are hybrid seeds that suit the dry season and those that suit the raining season... having this knowledge could prevent lots of damage... long live agriculture in the Republic of Nigeria
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by clem62000(m): 8:24pm On Feb 11, 2017
Good evening nairalanders, I have interest in watermelon farming which I intend to start this planting season after following this thread.
Please in estimate how much will be set aside to farm one hectare of water,elon outside land preparation (plowing) for planting. I mean from seed, weed control, fertilizer and the rest. Thanks
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by kennypoju(m): 10:25am On Mar 03, 2017
Nice one
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by testimonyng: 7:30pm On Mar 04, 2017
Good evening house.
I trust you're already making plans to attend the first ever Conference on Watermelon & Cucumber at Centre for Management Development, CMD Rd, Magodo, Lagos on 18 March, 2017.

The purpose of this conference is to bring together those involved in cucurbits so we can share information on all aspects of cucurbit research, development production and marketing. We invite you to join us for this in-depth conference on exploring the ever-changing face of cucurbit production.

Theme: "Harnessing the Wealth Opportunities of Growing Watermelons & Cucumbers in Nigeria"

Educational Session Topics:
1. Watermelon Cultivation and Management for
Maximum Production
2. Management & Control of Insects and Diseases in cucurbits
3. Maximizing Yield in Cucumber Through Irrigation and Nutrient Management
4. Roles of Farmers Organization in Produce Marketing
5. Farm Account, Agronomy & Resource Magmt
6. Group discussion session

If you are interested in cucurbits such as cucumbers, melons, pumpkins, gourds, squash, watermelons or exotic species, you should attend this conference. We are expecting more than 100 individuals in attendance, comprising of academicians and students, commercial plant breeders and other scientists, growers, marketers, bankers and industry representatives.

Participation fee is N5,000 only payable to: Ayofolami Nig Co
Zenith Bank 1012464004. Pls inform admin of your payment.

Note: The conference is not a moneymaking event. The N5,000 participating fee is cover expenses such as the venue, audio equipment, guest speakers, cucumber / watermrlon break, lunch, educational materials, promotion, etc.

You have the opportunity to become a member of the Watermelon Cucumber Association of Nigeria.

Guest speakers include Jasper, Ayokunle Ore, NIHORT researchers, etc

This is our joint events

See you in Lagos!
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by donJ2(m): 3:37pm On Apr 11, 2017
I need about 1000 water melon (big sizes only), send me Ur prize and Location to jayboss336@gmail.com 08033232315 cheers
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by testimonyng: 9:14pm On Jul 24, 2017
JOIN THE WATERMELON AND CUCUMBER STAKEHOLDERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA (WACUSAN) TODAY

WACUSAN is a dynamic organization striving to serve the cucurbits industry and meet the needs of our members. Whether you are a grower, processor, financiers, supplier, or consumer, we invite you to support the cucurbitae industry in Nigeria by joining WACUSAN. WACUSAN provides many benefits for members.
WACUSAN serves as the Voice of the Industry with our Government and offers Communications to all members through the Website, Facebook, Twitter and Alerts. WACUSAN provides Education for members through Conference, Educational Outreach Workshops, Farm Tours and WACUSAN Member Leadership Training. We offer Member Services programs that help reduce your production costs and expand your markets. We work together to secure agricultural land and access to finance and inputs for members. These are just a few of the ways WACUSAN helps members save money and returns to you additional value and benefits from your membership.

Membership Regustration: N10, 000 only. Call 07032115749

The Association's general meeting comes up at CMD, Magodo Phase 2, Lagos on 19th August, 2019
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by evelynqueen(f): 9:05pm On Aug 07, 2017
Hello, everyone. I intend to update the thread with my own watermelon production. OP and other contributors did a great job. This is the Day 6. Planted on the 1st of August 2017. I hope am not alone in this?

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Sunny94: 11:56am On Aug 08, 2017
That is great bro I just clear my own land on Saturday hope to spray herbicide before planting
I hope is not too late by August 15th at Edo state

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by evelynqueen(f): 6:29pm On Aug 10, 2017
Sunny94:
That is great bro I just clear my own land on Saturday hope to spray herbicide before planting
I hope is not too late by August 15th at Edo state
I think it's better you hold on till early September or till the rain has reduced. If not you will have to get insecticide and fungicide. I hope the seeds are certified, not from the open market. I am just a newbie, here to learn like you.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by evelynqueen(f): 5:05pm On Aug 16, 2017
Day 16

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by evelynqueen(f): 1:37pm On Aug 23, 2017
Day 21.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by KingShayDee(m): 5:50pm On Aug 23, 2017
Please i need a well structured watermelon business plan, anybody with one should please share with me thanks
Reach me on 08077163379

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Naijaepic: 6:41am On Aug 24, 2017
Yeah, you are not alone. I planted mine own watermelon on that same day, August 1, 2017. Been following a manual religiously.. I will be going to farm today, God willing to apply third treatment (foliage fertilizer, insecticide and fungicide)

The picture was taking on August 19

evelynqueen:
Hello, everyone. I intend to update the thread with my own watermelon production. OP and other contributors did a great job. This is the Day 6. Planted on the 1st of August 2017. I hope am not alone in this?

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Naijaepic: 1:14pm On Aug 24, 2017
Here is the latest pic from my watermelon pilot test farm.
Day 24:
Latitude: 8.708547

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Naijaepic: 2:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
Okay, here is my watermelon at 35 days old. It has started show flowers and I even saw some with ball. Check it out below.

Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Naijaepic: 7:24pm On Sep 08, 2017
Update: 39 Days (September 8, 2017)

I was at the farm today to apply routine treatment and NPK15:15:15 fertilizer. Many more Balls had formed after that single one I saw at my last visit. See my last post on the update
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by rhothymie(m): 8:25pm On Nov 12, 2017
Naijaepic:
Update: 39 Days (September 8, 2017)

I was at the farm today to apply routine treatment and NPK15:15:15 fertilizer. Many more Balls had formed after that single one I saw at my last visit. See my last post on the update
Pls update us sir
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Intelcorei7: 8:13am On Apr 21, 2018
Where is the Op of this thread na ? You have abandoned it despite your promise to update it frequently. And another planting season has started.

BTW, why have the moderators not moved this to FP ? This thread is useful for us now please
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Twinmama(f): 3:33pm On May 16, 2018
Good job to all. Magnam thanks for starting this this thread.

Learnt a lot.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Shittynaija: 10:33pm On Jun 23, 2019
With good agronomic practice, how many watermelons can I get per plant for:

Kaolack
Koloss
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by OyinO: 10:41am On Jan 14, 2020
What is cutting /eating off the tender first pair of leaves of the sprouted watermelons?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by loveintokyo: 9:30pm On May 08, 2020
For any crop whatever that you intent planting, it is highly recommended that 6ou get your seeds from a reputable agro dealer. Get disease resistant variety and follow due agronomic practices.For any crop whatever that you intent 0planting, it is highly recommended that 6ou get your seeds from a reputable agro dealer. Get disease resistant variety and follow due agronomic practices.For any crop whatever that you intent 0planting, it is highly recommended that you get your seeds from a reputable agro dealer. Get disease resistant variety and follow due agronomic practices.
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by sheddyboy01(m): 9:34pm On Oct 22, 2022
DICON2:

No weed at all

Where do we get this Pheromone Block ?

And how do we apply it please?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by Tohsynetita1: 1:43am On May 28, 2023
MANGAM:
By elyjay

Watermelon, citrullus lanatus rank third among the world highly cultivated crops, superseded only by potato and tomato in that order. In fact planting watermelon made me become lazy and mono cropper. Before I started planting watermelon, my chief crops were maize, cassava, yam, cocoyam and rice. But after planting watermelon for two years, I abandoned other crops and concentrated on watermelon till today.
When you are considering quick cash in farming, watermelon is among the crops to consider. The gestation is not more than 80 days, money don come. Kudi yaazo. Cultivated all over tropical climate the largest producers are China, Turkey, Iran, Brazil and U. S. A. in that order. It is produced all over in Nigeria from Maiduguri to Lagos and from Sokoto to Calabar.

Time of planting In southern Nigeria
We have three planting seasons: Early planting is in March, Mid season planting and the most lucrative but risky is June 25 to July 15. Late season planting is August 15 to September 15 in Kwara Oyo and northern parts of Ogun state. Planting in south Ogun, that is Ilaro, Ifo, Ota, Idiropo to Badagry in Lagos is September 15 to October 15. This is
because late rains last till December in these areas.
In the Northern Parts; early season planting is in May and late season planting is July. But with functional irrigation in the north, they are able to plant throughout the year .Lake chad basin in Bornu, Hadeja river basin in Kano are the major irrigation projects turning out watermelon all year round in Nigeria. I am aware that when the price goes so high watermelon is imported into Nigeria from Niger, Chad, Benin and Togo republics.

LAND PREPARATION
Watermelon requires loamy soil or silt loam soil it also perform well on heavy soil if it is well-drained. It does not tolerate waterlogging at all. So if planting on heavy soil, ridging will be helpful to improve drainage. On loamy soil, we normally plant on the flat land. Plowing starts immediately on the first rain. Even if the first rain comes in January, plow the land ready for the second operation.
If the second rain comes any time after February 15th, we can plant in Lagos and southern parts of Ogun state. In other parts, Igbogila, Ayetoro, Abeokuta, Odeda and all parts of Oyo state should plant in March. Planting should stop by the end of March. If you risk planting in very early April, you may succeed but if the June rain should start before 15th of June forget it. The tendency is that either the melon will not ripe or you loose a lot to blossom and it rots. Maturity takes a minimum of 75 days. On the second rain or within the stipulated time, harrow or replow and plant immediately. Experience has shown that portions planted immediately after plowing records higher germination percentage than portions planted the following day unless there is overnight rain.

Your contact please?
Re: A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos by pragmatistm(m): 2:25am On Oct 21, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BexuGMsIc-I

Come and see how turned bush clearing into snail hunting expedition last week. Come with ad see how you can do it too.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (Reply)

My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna / Cost Analysis For 1,000 to 3000 Poultry (layers) Capacity & Feed Mill In Nigeria / Acres Of farmland For Sale At N60,000 Per Acre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.