Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,769 members, 7,824,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:47 AM

The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread (1588 Views)

What Is The Purpose Of The Vehicle Insurance Fees Imposed By The Government? / Burning Vehicle Along Lagos-ibadan Express Causes Traffic (photos) / Innoson To Roll Out N1.5m Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by Nobody: 9:36pm On Aug 30, 2014
I decided to start this thread, due to a pre-existing thread here, whereby a poster rolled his Honda whilst taking evasive action.

What is roll-over?

This is when weight transfer in an automobile is sudden, usually from side to side. Enough to overcome the suspension, and lift a wheel, or wheels, causing the vehicle to over turn.

What causes roll-over?

There are several factors that could contribute to roll-over, either singularly or collectively. These are as follows:

01) A sudden change of direction.
02) An incorrectly loaded vehicle, with more weight at the top than bottom, and too much weight on one side.
03) Adverse camber in a road, with a vehicle parked on it.
04) Taking a turn too fast for a steeply banked corner.
05) Faulty suspension components - broken springs, blown dampers etc.
06) Poorly modified suspension, vehicle raised beyond its limits, with poor damping.
07) Mis-matched road wheels, with much larger tyres on one side of a driven axle.
08) Poor braking system, causing one caliper to lock-up much earlier than the opposing side from highway speeds.
09) Panic braking, an action taken often when a front tyre blows out at speed.
10) Striking a kerb broadside from moderate to highway speeds, causing a sudden stop.
11) Being struck broadside by another vehicle.
12) Driving too fast for the conditions, example driving in crosswinds.
13) Poorly positioned or angled spoilers, causing "lift" at speeds, instead of "downforce".

Which vehicles are more prone to roll-over?

High vehicles with a relatively narrow track in relation to its height.

Which vehicles are immune to roll-over?

None. Every vehicle can over turn, though some have their roll centres and weight closer to the ground, giving them a greater "tilt angle".
This is how far a vehicle can tilt before it over turns.

Are there any myths surrounding roll-over in a vehicle?

Yes, there are several, which I'll go into later, depending on the direction this thread goes.

3 Likes

Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:28am On Aug 31, 2014
(Mis-matched road wheels) that's a common trend in nigeria, good work Siena thanks for taking out time to share, I'm sure there's lots more to come.
Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by nurey(m): 7:26am On Aug 31, 2014
Nice thread but its been a while since I saw a roll over but the major cause of roll over in naija is bad drivers over speeding causing you to take serious evasive action which leads to loosing control or worse still roll over
Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 31, 2014
Yes! I am watching.

1 Like

Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 31, 2014
A common myth back in the 1970's and early 1980's was that the Citröen DS could not roll over. Whilst it was a fairly heavy car for the era, and quite low-slung (giving it a low centre of gravity) it was still subject to roll-over.

It just took more of a tilt angle to lift a wheel.

It is also a common misconception that ALL high vehicles are MORE prone to roll-over than lower-slung ones. Whilst in theory this may be true, a purpose-built tall vehicle is built with roll-over taken into consideration.

A vehicle that was designed as a chassis cab (example Mercedes-Benz 911 / 1113) can be built as a wooden box truck, a bus ( Molue) or whatever the operator wishes to use it for. Such a vehicle will NOT meet regulations in certain countries, as the height even unladen will NOT reflect the considerations the manufacturers made with regards to the height vs width vs weight distribution.

In the United Kingdom, United States, Europe, Canada, Australia and most of the Western world, EVERY commercial vehicle is subject to a "tilt test" before they are allowed to operate on public roads. This is a platform that can be raised on one side or one end by hydraulic rams. The. While is placed on the platform, and it is then slowly tilted. The angle at which the vehicle begins to topple over is calculated versus likely road conditions, (camber) change of direction, (lateral G) loading etc.

In the UK, a fully laden double decker bus MUST be able to incline at an angle of 28 degrees AND remain stable. So in theory an angle of up to 32 degrees MAY be exceeded BEFORE the risk of roll-over occurs.

How does this work? Surely a tall double decker bus or coach will be unstable at a 28-degree tilt angle?

The trick lies in the very design. Unlike a lorry or other rig, the engines these vehicles are very different. They are what is termed as "low profile" blocks. In layman terms, they are wide and low, flat enough to be mounted as low as possible in the chassis, usually at the rear. Then the bodywork is a combination of aluminium, kevlar and sometimes glass fibre. The steel sections are generally struts, forming the skeleton, to which lighter weight composites and aluminium are then attached. NOT steel like in a car or rig. The glass is also lighter, yet stronger than that used in a regular vehicle.

So the greater weight remains at the bottom - engine, transmission, chassis frame, axles and suspension. This will aid stability, and also allow more weight to be carried safely. Due to weight distribution, seating arrangements differ between upper and lower decks, with more passengers carried on the lower deck, than the upper, despite having the same floor space.

Obviously, different driving techniques are required for double decker buses. And contrary to popular belief, double decker buses and coaches ARE in service in Nigeria. Though it would be foolhardy to drive these vehicles on really bad roads, or even smooth roads with acute camber angles.

1 Like

Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by loptos(m): 8:30pm On Sep 03, 2014
Dear Siena, is it advisable to buy a roll over car or Suv at cheaper rate and repair for use
Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 03, 2014
loptos: Dear Siena, is it advisable to buy a roll over car or Suv at cheaper rate and repair for use

With roll-over damage, the bodyshell integrity could have been compromised, and a twisted chassis may not be easy to ascertain.

Personally, I would only buy a roll-over automobile IF I had a straight shell with missing engine, transmission, interior etc, if the bent car was cheap enough. In a nutshell, to me a roll-over damaged vehicle is only good as a parts bin special.

1 Like

Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by Nobody: 11:06pm On Sep 03, 2014
I love this thread.

These are the sorts of threads I hope to see on here in the future. More of this and less of displaying high speed shenanigans on public streets.
Re: The Vehicle Roll-Over Thread by tripleace(m): 12:00pm On Oct 17, 2014
I really enjoy your analytical approach to issues been discussed, love what you are doing don't stop. I intend picking up a Renault Megane Scenic 1.8L 2000 model and I read one of your replies to someone who intended to buy one in 2012. What is you advise to me now on the purchase of this vehicle as you may have know much more things about this car.

I really need a professional advice on this as one of my brothers has advice I go for it since he has used 3 of the same model(He deals in cars) and only had praises for this car but I like to do my homework before embarking on anything.

thank you and God bless you.

(1) (Reply)

Help! My Mechanic Is Calling Price For Me On Catalyst / Honda Shaft: An Apology / Engine Swap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.