Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

The Myths About ‘ember’ Months - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Myths About ‘ember’ Months (507 Views)

10 Myths About Introverts / Top 10 Myths About Africa / Top Ten Myths About Introverts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Myths About ‘ember’ Months by Alexk2(m): 11:31pm On Aug 31, 2014
There are several myths about the last four months of the year popularly called ‘Ember’ months. Many believe that September to December are the most dangerous months of the year.
The last four months are the farmers harvest season and a time when a lot of festivities take place. Marriages, burial ceremonies, chieftaincy celebrations, housewarming and many other festivals are often fixed for the last four months of the year because it is assumed that the rains would have subsided. Many corporate organisations also grant annual leave to their staff as well as close for the year by mid-December to enable their workers to observe the Christmas and New Year celebrations. Thus, it is a period of holidaying.

Because of the hike in the number of festivities observed during the ‘ember’ months, a lot of traveling takes place thus the roads are busier in this period than any other time of the year. Aside from travelling, a lot of people are also under intense financial pressure having to pay school fees and attend to several invitations or contribute to different ceremonies. It is customary in Yorubaland, even in Igboland, to buy ‘Aso Ebi’ and also give gifts to people. Many also want to show off their progress for the year, particularly if they will be travelling to their homestead or birthplace. Hence, they go shopping for new cloths, bags, shoes, cars, etc. The intense financial pressure can and do cause high blood pressure for many which can lead to sudden death, heart attack or stroke.
these are my own deductions.
share your funny myths here.

1 Like

Re: The Myths About ‘ember’ Months by nwaobitex: 11:58pm On Aug 31, 2014
So where are the meats.
I hate introduction.
Re: The Myths About ‘ember’ Months by rawpadgin(m): 12:27am On Sep 01, 2014
I don't believe in dat ember month bullish*t, I have lost a few loved ones & non of em died during the so-called ember month
Re: The Myths About ‘ember’ Months by Kingmee: 3:51pm On Sep 01, 2014
like you rightly put it, they are just myths that are largely not true...

the best will come our way this ember mths in Jesus name.
Re: The Myths About ‘ember’ Months by Kingmee: 3:55pm On Sep 01, 2014
nwaobitex;So where are the meats.
I hate introduction.

so u be hunter?...hope u caught bush meat in ur hunting spree last nyt?

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Indicts T.B. Joshua Over Collapsed Building. / World Press Conference By Atiku Abubakar / 40 Everyday Successes To Celebrate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.